Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Whole life is absolute garbage. Why does a kid need a life insurance plan anyway.

I think it's due to insurance companies having lots of money and thus able to convince old dumb people to buy stupid products.

I even heard a radio ad the other day about how "there must be a catch with a reverse mortgage right? Well there's not." :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Nail Rat posted:

I think it's due to insurance companies having lots of money and thus able to convince old dumb people to buy stupid products.

I even heard a radio ad the other day about how "there must be a catch with a reverse mortgage right? Well there's not." :suicide:

Not only that but it's based on some policy that AMERICAN HERO RONALD REAGAN supported and is therefore obviously good!

I hate those drat ads, I'm sure they scam old folks all the time.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Nail Rat posted:

My mother decided to get one of those policies for $10k for me. I cashed that out once I was 18, the whole thing was worthless and a waste of money. There seems to be an obsession with bad insurance plans.

Also what could possibly go wrong with a reverse mortgage and uncontrolled spending/living longer than expected.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Echo 3 posted:

Out of curiosity, what country are you from? After reading your post I searched on Wikipedia and was surprised to see how many countries don't have capital gains tax.

I'm from the uk, but I was 23 when I lived there and never had to learn about this. tax is pretty much automated and for your early life doesn't really need much attention, in comparison to the US.
Thanks to everyone for answering my question!

Sound_man
Aug 25, 2004
Rocking to the 80s
I have a 401k rollover question.

I contributed 11k to a pretax 401k for a job where I was a FTE. When the contract ended I went and found a job with another company. My new company does not offer a 401k plan. I have already fully funded my Roth IRA for the year. I would like to get the money out of the 401K sooner than later because the fee structure is pretty awful and the funds blow compared to Vangaurd.

If that 11k is counted as income that will push me over the limit for a Roth IRA and I will have to deal with that.

My two question are, Would rolling over my 401k count against the $5,500 contribution limit? Will I have to claim it as income if I roll it into a Roth IRA?

Echo 3
Jun 2, 2006

I have a bad feeling about this...

Sound_man posted:

Would rolling over my 401k count against the $5,500 contribution limit?

Nope

quote:

Will I have to claim it as income if I roll it into a Roth IRA?

Yup... although not so much "claim" as "your 401k provider will tell the IRS about it so you'd better pay up"

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Sound_man posted:

I contributed 11k to a pretax 401k for a job where I was a FTE. When the contract ended I went and found a job with another company. My new company does not offer a 401k plan. I have already fully funded my Roth IRA for the year. I would like to get the money out of the 401K sooner than later because the fee structure is pretty awful and the funds blow compared to Vangaurd.

If that 11k is counted as income that will push me over the limit for a Roth IRA and I will have to deal with that.

My two question are, Would rolling over my 401k count against the $5,500 contribution limit? Will I have to claim it as income if I roll it into a Roth IRA?

Just checking because I can't tell from your post if you know this or now: did you know that you can (and is generally the default choice) rollover a 401k to a traditional IRA, which keeps it pretax? No reason to roll to a roth unless you specifically want to convert to Roth and pay taxes on it. In the past, rolling over a pretax 401k into a Roth was not allowed, and so rolling over and conversion were two separate processes. Ever since they allowed rolling over directly into a Roth (combining the rollover and conversion process), it has only added to confusion, it seems.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sound_man posted:

You have up to 60 days after leaving the company to do the custodian to custodian transfer for a 401k to IRA rollover.

After 60 days it's counted as ordinary income by the IRS.

Going IRA to Roth is also another taxable event but the tax can be kept fairly small if you have a smaller size IRA account.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

etalian posted:

You have up to 60 days after leaving the company to do the custodian to custodian transfer for a 401k to IRA rollover.

According to the best information I can find, this is not true. The 60 day limit is for depositing a 401k payout into a qualifying IRA. This can be done years after leaving a job. In fact, if your employer is willing, they can perform a direct transfer at any time after you leave.

Am I misunderstanding the internet?

Oscar Statue
Jul 14, 2002

Peanut3141 posted:

According to the best information I can find, this is not true. The 60 day limit is for depositing a 401k payout into a qualifying IRA. This can be done years after leaving a job. In fact, if your employer is willing, they can perform a direct transfer at any time after you leave.

Am I misunderstanding the internet?

Your information is correct. If its done as a custodian-custodian transfer, the 60 day limit doesn't apply.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Oscar Statue posted:

Your information is correct. If its done as a custodian-custodian transfer, the 60 day limit doesn't apply.

Correct since the IRS rule only applies when you go the lump sum distribution route to moving 401k money over to a IRA

Sound_man
Aug 25, 2004
Rocking to the 80s
That helps a lot. The downside is I have to pay taxes on the money now but the upsdie is I can contribute over 15K to my IRA this year. I do plan to have the 401K money in a separate account for easy of tracking purposes.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

If you rollover your 401k to a traditional IRA, this basically means that you can't backdoor Roth anymore, correct?

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

If you rollover your 401k to a traditional IRA, this basically means that you can't backdoor Roth anymore, correct?

You still can, but it will require you to pay taxes on a percentage of the conversion determined by the ratio of tax-deferred to post-tax contributions. So it doesn't work like it would without any tax-deferred IRA component where you can backdoor without paying any taxes.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The girlfriend is leaving her job where she had a Roth 401k, and the employer match went into a traditional 401k. She'll essentially initiate two rollovers on Vanguard, correct? Opening a Trad IRA and a Roth IRA? (She has neither yet).

EDIT typo.

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 2, 2014

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

flowinprose posted:

You still can, but it will require you to pay taxes on a percentage of the conversion determined by the ratio of tax-deferred to post-tax contributions.

Or you can roll it back into a 401k and do the backdoor.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The girlfriend is leaving her job where she had a Roth 401k, and the employer match went into a traditional 401k. She'll essentially initiate two rollovers on Vanguard, correct? Opening a Trad IRA and a Roth IRA? (She has neither yet).

EDIT typo.

Yes. If she ever anticipates a future where she might need to do backdoor Roth in the future though, it might be worth it to roll the traditional IRA into the Roth IRA immediately after the rollovers, and just pay the taxes. Also because if she prefers Roth in general, I'm guessing that traditional IRA balance would be too low to be of much help in asset balancing, etc.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

If I want to setup direct deposit to my roth IRA on a monthly basis, am I going to bump into any problems setting the contribution to 458.34 and being $0.08 over the $5500 maximum end of year?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Yes, you will be over the maximum and probably have to file a bunch of bullshit paperwork over 8 cents. Personally, I put it in a savings account every month and dump it in the IRA before tax day.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Doesn't Vanguard let you set up a monthly, inbound transfer from a bank account, though? And it is smart enough to cap at exactly the limit?

If so, set up your paycheck to DD into an online savings, and have Vanguard set up to withdraw from the online savings once a month.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

.Z. posted:

If I want to setup direct deposit to my roth IRA on a monthly basis, am I going to bump into any problems setting the contribution to 458.34 and being $0.08 over the $5500 maximum end of year?

Yes it will be a hassle. Just contribute 458.33 and if the 4 cent difference really bothers you make an additional 4 cent contribution.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Doesn't Vanguard let you set up a monthly, inbound transfer from a bank account, though? And it is smart enough to cap at exactly the limit?

If so, set up your paycheck to DD into an online savings, and have Vanguard set up to withdraw from the online savings once a month.

It does and that's what I'm currently doing. I just want to set it up so I never see the money in my bank account, for some reason the current setup annoys me.

I'll just make some tiny deposit beginning of year and let the auto deposit take care of the rest.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

.Z. posted:

I'll just make some tiny deposit beginning of year and let the auto deposit take care of the rest.

You're actually going to deposit 4 cents in because you want to be exactly at the limit? What the gently caress.

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!
Assuming they keep the limit the same, just do 440 a month and put an extra 220 in on Jan 1st.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Inept posted:

You're actually going to deposit 4 cents in because you want to be exactly at the limit? What the gently caress.

I was thinking more along the lines of what Smugly suggested, but that's not a bad idea either. It's the same outcome either way.

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!
I think they have a minimum amount allowed for a transaction.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The backdoor Roth only works nicely if you don't have a big IRA balance or have a year of low income.

Melting Eggs
Jul 17, 2006

Quis custodiet custodes ipsos?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yes and yes.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

SmuglyDismissed posted:

Assuming they keep the limit the same, just do 440 a month and put an extra 220 in on Jan 1st.

And if they do raise it, it'll be 6000 and thus divisible by 12!

However after it goes up to 6500 it'll be a long wait before that happens again :negative:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

IRA contribution limit is staying the same for 2015, but 401k limit is going up to 18k.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Guinness posted:

IRA contribution limit is staying the same for 2015, but 401k limit is going up to 18k.

Is that going to raise the SIMPLE IRA limit to 12.5k?

VVVV Yay! Next year I get to contribute 1040/month instead of 1000/month! VVVV

MickeyFinn fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 4, 2014

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

MickeyFinn posted:

Is that going to raise the SIMPLE IRA limit to 12.5k?

According to this, yes:

http://thefinancebuff.com/2015-401k-403b-simple-ira-limits.html

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
This is the dumbest of dumbest questions but when looking at investment options i.e. on an ETF they often say things like their fees are 1%.

My question is 1% of what? Simply everything you put into the account? Is it paid whenever you invest money, when you withdraw, or annually?

Has there been a mega-post in here somewhere regarding fees/charges and how that relates to what makes the best fund to go with?

Sorry for the basic questions. I'm in the UK so more general answers are probably better.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Sri.Theo posted:

This is the dumbest of dumbest questions but when looking at investment options i.e. on an ETF they often say things like their fees are 1%.

My question is 1% of what? Simply everything you put into the account? Is it paid whenever you invest money, when you withdraw, or annually?

Has there been a mega-post in here somewhere regarding fees/charges and how that relates to what makes the best fund to go with?

Sorry for the basic questions. I'm in the UK so more general answers are probably better.

1% of everything that's in the account, annually. It's a good idea to go for index funds that should have charges of much less than 1%.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Qwertycoatl posted:

1% of everything that's in the account, annually. It's a good idea to go for index funds that should have charges of much less than 1%.

I see, it's quite difficult to make a judgement on some of these funds due to the variation in fee structure. Thanks for the help.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Sri.Theo posted:

I see, it's quite difficult to make a judgement on some of these funds due to the variation in fee structure. Thanks for the help.

Do the maths (or look at the maths loads of other people have done for you) and see why you really really really want to avoid managed fund unless you have significant cash and know exactly what your doing.

Im UK based too and I know HSBC and I believe Blackrock have the lowest fees on index funds unless you are investing > £100K or have access to some preferential rates for some reason.

Edit also not sure if your aware but you can wrap these up in a nisa for tax free goodness of up to 15k a year depending on what if any contributions you make to a cash isa.

Cast_No_Shadow fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Oct 4, 2014

Echo 3
Jun 2, 2006

Sri.Theo posted:

Nope, it's easy. Just pick index funds and pick the ones with the lowest fees.

Edit: I guess you're in the U.K. I've heard things are a bit worse there (not as many index funds available, higher fees) but I hope you can find some good ones. Any fee that's not a basic expense ratio (like a load that you pay when you buy in or when you sell) is bullshit, try to avoid those.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Im UK based too and I know HSBC and I believe Blackrock have the lowest fees on index funds unless you are investing > £100K or have access to some preferential rates for some reason.

Do you have any recommendations to look at? I've just got my first 'real' job and have managed to save up £5,000 in an ISA with my bank. That feels like enough to cover any emergencies for me and now I want to put any future savings to better work (Natwest offers terrible rates).

I've been looking at Nutmeg simply because it seems so much easier to add and remove funds, the difficulty is when you're dealing with such low amounts you don't get preferential rates.

The HSBC FTSE 100 index offers these charges:

quote:

Annual Management Charge*² 0.10%
Where Annual Management Charge is taken from Income Amount of Annual Management Charge paid to HSBC Bank plc*² 0%
Total expenses*³ 0.17%
Account Fee*4 0.39% per annum

Which I'm not sure how to compare versus Nutmeg's 1% for anything less then £25K and decreasing from there.

Echo 3 posted:

Nope, it's easy. Just pick index funds and pick the ones with the lowest fees.

Edit: I guess you're in the U.K. I've heard things are a bit worse there (not as many index funds available, higher fees) but I hope you can find some good ones. Any fee that's not a basic expense ratio (like a load that you pay when you buy in or when you sell) is bullshit, try to avoid those.

I really haven't seen any that don't add other charges on, are you saying that there should be funds available that only charge a percentage fee when you add or remove money? That would be vastly easier to calculate for me.

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 4, 2014

Echo 3
Jun 2, 2006

Sri.Theo posted:

I really haven't seen any that don't add other charges on, are you saying that there should be funds available that only charge a percentage fee when you add or remove money? That would be vastly easier to calculate for me.

Sorry, I realize now that I typed that sentence in a terribly confusing way. Let me try again:

A "load" is a fee that you pay upon buying shares in a mutual fund ("front-end load"), or upon selling shares ("back-end load"). This is like a sales commission.

An "expense ratio" is a fee that is taken out of a fund's assets every year. It pays for the costs of running the fund, which include the salaries of the people who manage the fund, and the costs of trading securities (because your mutual fund company will have to pay fees to buy and sell stocks). The expense ratio will be low for an index fund for two reasons: 1.) They don't pay some fancy active manager who claims to be a super-genius of stock-picking, they are just paying a regular Joe who knows how to buy and sell all the stocks in the index in the correct proportions, and 2.) They don't trade actively, so their transaction costs are just from whenever people buy into the fund or sell out of it.

Loads are the type of fees I was referring to as "bullshit." They typically just go straight into the pocket of whatever rear end in a top hat convinced you to put your money into that fund (a.k.a. a middleman). There is no reason to pay a load so never do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
OK everyone, I have questions and would like suggestions for how to move forward with investments/savings. I only started putting money into my 401k this last year for what are likely bad reasons. I have two primary questions; how much money should I spend on a new car (i know this might be the wrong thread for this) and how should I start investing and savings for the future.

My stats: 26, living in San Diego, CA. Working in pharmacueticals and was just converted to a full time employee making 47k a year, plus benefits. I've been working in this career for 2.5 years now, and prior to this was a contractor and trying to save a nest egg + money for a new car when mine dies (93 honda civic, so maybe never but 250k miles says otherwise). My take home pay after paying for health benefits/a small amount in my FSA is roughly $1200 (I'm hourly and get about 5-10 hours of overtime weekly). I pay 850/month in rent/utilities. I don't eat out a whole lot, or buy a whole lot and am in general fairly frugal.

I currently have ~$15k saved up, and want to keep 5K available as a nest egg. I will also need to have something as a downpayment on a car in the next six months (my car likely won't pass smog in january/february). I know my roth/401k aren't anywhere near the yearly max. Should I divert most of my income for the next two months to those to maximise on the pre-tax money? What kind of budget should I decide on for a few/used car? I'm sure there is a lot of expected info I didn't include, what else is missing? thanks