Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Yawgmoth posted:

My prerelease gave me a drat amazing mardu pool (butcher, a couple ponyback brigade, a pile of removal) that I went 1-3 with because no matter how or how much I shuffled I could only ever get 2 land or 12. Infuriating to get turn 1 1-drop, turn 2 2-drop, turn 3+ HURRRRRRRRRRRR.

This is why people are saying to play 18 lands. Because you WILL have action at 3, and so will your opponent.

theironjef posted:

I thought the whole thing was that the 5 new guys are "previous legends that were not planeswalkers before but are being represented as such now."

Teferi was a planeswalker, pre-mending. He surrendered his spark as part of the mending process. His power-level was comparable with Urza, but he didn't really want to mess with trying to fight Phyrexia.

EDIT:

Madmarker posted:

He really does. However, he couldn't be a planeswalker, as he was never able to acquire a spark, nor did he have one inherently. So what would he be, a creature? An enchantment? I mean, he WAS the original plane of Phyrexia.

What? No. He was a pawn of an actual evil planeswalker, Leshrac, who got chumped out by Urza during Apocalypse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Fish Of Doom posted:

Lim Dul's probably more likely, but I really want a mono-black Yawgmoth. He really deserves a proper card.

He really does. However, he couldn't be a planeswalker, as he was never able to acquire a spark, nor did he have one inherently. So what would he be, a creature? An enchantment? I mean, he WAS the original plane of Phyrexia.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

redstormpopcorn posted:

I think Gerrard was technically a Planeswalker for a quarter of a second while the Legacy Weapon was exploding.

I'd say anyone that commands the Weatherlight should count as a planeswalker, right? I mean it's a little jankier than just changing planes with your mage brain, but it's still a plane-hopping flying ship the guy is totally in charge of.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Entropic posted:

I basically only do sealed at pre-releases so I have months to forget how stupidly swingy a format it is. You really need both luck and skill for sealed. It's super fun when you open a good pool, but then you get the crappy pools where you can maybe grind out wins at first but you will just never beat a skilled player with an actually good pool.

It'd be cool if they had a whole cycle of planeswalker characters from stories before there were planeswalker cards to put them on. I'd love a Jaya walker. :swoon: Gerrard wasn't a walker though, right? I have only the vaguest knowledge of storylines from that era, but I didn't think he was.

As opposed to the other formats of Magic where you don't both need luck and skill...

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Madmarker posted:

Enchantment Creature -- God

As long as your devotion to <Phyrexian mana symbols here> is less than 10 ~ isn't a creature.

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 3, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mcmagic posted:

As opposed to the other formats of Magic where you don't both need luck and skill...

Every magic format requires both, but there's a huge extra helping of luck with Sealed compared to say Draft or Constructed. You're always at the mercy of what cards you draw throughout the game to some extent in any format, but with sealed there is such a thing as just having a bad pool that no amount of skill is going get you to the top table with.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Cernunnos posted:

Creature Enchantment -- God

As long as your devotion to <Phyrexian mana symbols here> is less than 10 ~ isn't a creature.

I could totally get behind this.

Also there are a bunch of as-yet unused characters from the whole Nine Titans assault on Phyrexia, while we're pulling from the end of old Dominaria.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

mcmagic posted:

In other formats you can often use skill to offset poor luck. With sealed, if you get hosed on the card pool lottery you can just get hosed.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
A skilled player with a bad sealed pool can often beat a bad player with a good sealed pool, but in enough swiss rounds you're eventually going to run up against a good player with a good pool.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

Sealed is just pack wars where bomby cards just dominate. Whether that's a good way to define the format or not is immaterial since draft exist and is about 10 times more fun.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Yawgmoth posted:

In other formats you can often use skill to offset poor luck. With sealed, if you get hosed on the card pool lottery you can just get hosed.

I mean yes and no. Most of the skill in limited IS minimizing the luck element.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001

Emerson Cod posted:

My guess for removal is that it's written up in the same format as the DCI Judge/practice tests which are technically confidential. They probably removed it due to an abundance of caution after getting legal threats for past leaks.

Actually, you would need to maintain card order. They are still technically the top 7 cards of your library and, as rule 101.4a states "If an effect has each player choose a card in a hidden zone, such as his or her hand or library, those cards may remain face down as they’'re chosen. However, each player must clearly indicate which face-down card he or she is choosing."

In addition, when you are searching your library (Dig Through Time doesn't search, but same principal) you must maintain card order. The only card it's relevant for is Panglacial Wurm, since you could pay for it with Chromatic Star or Deranged Assistant, which cares about the top card of your library at the time of casting.

You are correct.

Thanks for that rule. I'm still trying to get confirmation from the judge list.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

redstormpopcorn posted:

I could totally get behind this.

Also there are a bunch of as-yet unused characters from the whole Nine Titans assault on Phyrexia, while we're pulling from the end of old Dominaria.

Man we better get a Commodore Guff.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Entropic posted:

Man we better get a Commodore Guff.

Dude, loving Lord Windgrace man, we NEED a Panther Planeswalker.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Jeskai's still around, right?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

Sealed is just pack wars where bomby cards just dominate. Whether that's a good way to define the format or not is immaterial since draft exist and is about 10 times more fun.

At my store, in every prerelease, it's the same 5-6 guys who are in the top 4 all 5 events. It's much more than just luck. I really like drafting too but I feel like people use a bad pool as an excuse way too much.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Madmarker posted:

Dude, loving Lord Windgrace man, we NEED a Panther Planeswalker.
Windgrace is sweet, black panther lord of urborg necromancer good guy. He is the anti-trope.

I am hoping for Serra anyway, but I feel like C14 is going to be disappointing anyway.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Every time a new commander set comes out I get all excited and buy one or two of the decks but then I remember that I don't actually like playing Commander very much. I think I may resist this time.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Holy poo poo this FNM draft was fun. Six of us in a pool, including a younger dude who was playing in literally his second tournament. We pay our cash, get a booster box, and figure out how to give prize packs. Two each, with the last 6 packs going 3-3 to the top two. Kid opens his right away, two fetches (Flooded Strand and Wooded Foothills, or maybe Windswept Heath). Draft happens, two more fetches get opened. He gets second place due to tiebreakers. With his second pick (we do rare redrafting), he gets the Bloodstained Mire off the table. Then he opens his packs, and cracks a Polluted Delta and one of the Khans.

Not bad for the price of four boosters (17 euro each, a booster is 4 euros). Jesus.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Spiderdrake posted:

Windgrace is sweet, black panther lord of urborg necromancer good guy. He is the anti-trope.

I am hoping for Serra anyway, but I feel like C14 is going to be disappointing anyway.

My hope was just for the crew of the Weatherlight, now Planeswalkers because they are on the Weatherlight.

So like Gerrard, Rofellos, Tahngarth, Urza McBlind Seer, and Crovax. And they could stick reprints or new versions of folks like Orim and Squee into their respective colors. What can I say, I'm a fan of that storyline.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Cernunnos posted:

As long as your devotion to <Phyrexian mana symbols here>

Someone here said it when we first got Theros spoiled - if they don't bring devotion back in the next Phyrexian block specifically to template that as "devotion to Phyrexia", they'll have missed the boat.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

theironjef posted:

My hope was just for the crew of the Weatherlight, now Planeswalkers because they are on the Weatherlight.

So like Gerrard, Rofellos, Tahngarth, Urza McBlind Seer, and Crovax. And they could stick reprints or new versions of folks like Orim and Squee into their respective colors. What can I say, I'm a fan of that storyline.

I mean I am a fan as well, but none of them have "The Spark." Being a planeswalker is more than the ability to walk between planes, but a certain level of magical power that most of your above list doesn't really have. Though I would love an Urza, Planeswalker card, I've wanted that since the planeswalker type was spoiled back in Futuresight.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

My guesses:

White- Lord Windgrace
Blue- Teferi (duh)
Black- Tevesh Szat or Leshrac
Red- Jaya Ballard
Green- Freyalise

Sadly with Teferi in Bo Levar is definitely out. Commodore Guff is definitely blue/red and so sadly can't be a card. Also he breaks the fourth wall so much he'd probably have "+1: Name a character in the Magic canon. Destroy all permanents whose art depicts that character."

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Freyalise is described as dying in a giant explosion of red and green mana, so she might not be mono-colored.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
They already said they aren't all legacy characters.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

theironjef posted:

I thought the whole thing was that the 5 new guys are "previous legends that were not planeswalkers before but are being represented as such now." Then again, Teferi totally was, so what do I know?

Gerrard wasn't a walker, I think his type is just human warrior or something, but he is the end result of Urza's "build a better human" breeding experiments.

No it's "5 planeswalkers that never got planeswalker cards." That also excludes Yawgmoth.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

ShadeofBlue posted:

No it's "5 planeswalkers that never got planeswalker cards." That also excludes Yawgmoth.

Oh I don't doubt that Yawgmoth is NOT one of the cards. It just sucks so awesome a character has never received his own card.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Jorath posted:

You are correct.

Thanks for that rule. I'm still trying to get confirmation from the judge list.

Let me know - I'm practicing for my level 1 test and these weird corner cases are great learning tools.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
In Invasion block, I would've said Yawgmoth is too powerful to be represented practically on a card.

Then, Emrakul...

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Emrakul, the Aeons Torn is not a practical Magic card.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Attorney at Funk posted:

Emrakul, the Aeons Torn is not a practical Magic card.
He's fun as hell with Jhoira, though. I should tweak that deck to be modern legal just to see if I can pull off turn 4 hasty Emrakul in a tournament.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Madmarker posted:

Oh I don't doubt that Yawgmoth is NOT one of the cards. It just sucks so awesome a character has never received his own card.

Yawgmoth isn't a Planeswalker either. They just had special Phyrexian magic that allowed for it.

I mean I guess he could be a creature but the idea of summoning Yawgmoth for help seems weird.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
If we're making guesses, I can't imagine the white one being anyone other than Serra. She has more Commander appeal than almost any other lore figure that I can think of, maybe even including the neo-walkers.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Yawgmoth posted:

He's fun as hell with Jhoira, though. I should tweak that deck to be modern legal just to see if I can pull off turn 4 hasty Emrakul in a tournament.

4x Mountain -> Desperate Ritual -> Through the Breach?

EDIT: vvv Legacy Weapon?

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 3, 2014

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Kasonic posted:

In Invasion block, I would've said Yawgmoth is too powerful to be represented practically on a card.

Then, Emrakul...

Emrakul can be oblivion ring'd. The only thing that can stop yawgmoth is the combined power of pre-mending planeswalkers and a ton of powerful artifacts.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

ShadeofBlue posted:

That's not the theme. The theme for legendary creatures in commander 2014 is legendary creatures that never got a card. The planeswalkers on the other hand are not guaranteed to be from the past.

EDIT:

blogatog posted:

web-brand said: Will all the planeswalkers in the Commander 2014 products be pre-Mending characters?

Just to clarify because people have been getting this incorrect from what was said at the panel. The cycle of legendary creatures from Commander 2014 is a collection of past characters that people have been asking for in card form. The cycle of planeswalkers are not necessarily all famous characters from the past (although as Teferi demonstrates some might be).

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I assume Glissa will be the green walker since who the gently caress are any of the other ones aside from Freyalise who's probably multicolor.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Mortimer posted:

Emrakul can be oblivion ring'd. The only thing that can stop yawgmoth is the combined power of pre-mending planeswalkers and a ton of powerful artifacts.
Actually, was Yawgmoth himself super-powerful, or was it just his army?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Veyrall posted:

Actually, was Yawgmoth himself super-powerful, or was it just his army?

I mean, his will alone-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Planeswalker Uncle Istvan or no buy.

• Locked thread