Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

leica posted:

I'd wait for the new Mazda 2 to come out or you're going to kick yourself.

Time was not on my side. I ended up buying a CPO Elantra instead. It's a decent little commuter car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I've been thinking of getting a commuter car myself. The Cooper s is a hell of a lot of fun but I put on at least 90 miles a day and it's mostly back road country driving so I do about 24-26 mpg.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

goatse guy posted:

Time was not on my side. I ended up buying a CPO Elantra instead. It's a decent little commuter car.

What year? I'm still impressed with the sonata we bought last year. Hyundai really makes a nice car for not much money.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

BrokenKnucklez posted:

What year? I'm still impressed with the sonata we bought last year. Hyundai really makes a nice car for not much money.

It's a 2011 Elantra GLS. I'll miss my WRX, but I'm more relieved to see it go.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Was reminiscing with the pops last night at dinner and forgot about this one, you ever get to play the name game with customers and lenders? This may be a CA or border state thing.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

keykey posted:

Was reminiscing with the pops last night at dinner and forgot about this one, you ever get to play the name game with customers and lenders? This may be a CA or border state thing.

What specifically do you mean by the name game?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Ugh I have to go back to the dealer tomorrow with our new 4Runner and get them to respray the back hatch due to previous paint damage from a (lol) dealership sticker.

I have a 'we owe' form that they gave me during the sale so I have it in writing, but I'm super anxious about letting them touch the car. I'm about 40% sure that they'll bodge the job and then I'll have to go to a body shop and pay cash to get it fixed.

exempt
Dec 10, 2006

revmoo posted:

Ugh I have to go back to the dealer tomorrow with our new 4Runner and get them to respray the back hatch due to previous paint damage from a (lol) dealership sticker.

I have a 'we owe' form that they gave me during the sale so I have it in writing, but I'm super anxious about letting them touch the car. I'm about 40% sure that they'll bodge the job and then I'll have to go to a body shop and pay cash to get it fixed.

First, I'd be surprised if they have the ability to respray anything. I've never seen a paint booth in a dealer. Most likely they'll be using a touch up kit. Secondly, I wouldn't trust fixing the paint to the people to messed it up removing said sticker.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
They have "a guy" that does all their cars who will be doing the work.

That doesn't make me feel much better.

I guess I don't really have a choice other than to give them a shot at fixing it before taking it to a body shop.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

revmoo posted:

They have "a guy" that does all their cars who will be doing the work.

That doesn't make me feel much better.

I guess I don't really have a choice other than to give them a shot at fixing it before taking it to a body shop.

I had a run in with a VW dealer's "a paint guy in one X day of the week" scenario right after I brought my GTI. There were issues at the time where paint on the front bumper/plastic bits would chip and peel. Some had started on the front grill and noticed it the day I bought the car. I was told to come in and they would fix it right up good as new.

Chucklefuck DIY mixed some silver paint on the spot and put a single dab on the paint chip and called it golden. No prep, no sanding, no polishing, no blending or even the smallest bit of effort.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

goatse guy posted:

babby's first loan means that I'm pretty limited in what I can buy.

I got a loan to buy a mustang gt. You have no excuse. :colbert:

Cage fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 30, 2014

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

goatse guy posted:

What specifically do you mean by the name game?

Customers that use a first and last name, then use the same first name but switch last name at time of signing at in house/outside lending institution thereby negating any previous work by not having correct information so you have to redo the whole deal again, it's a huge pain in the rear end. Here's a description of how to play the name game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispanic_American_naming_customs

We didn't play it too many times, because over a decade and playing it a few times, we just had people sign the exact same way it is on their drivers license to avoid the game completely.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Cage posted:

I got a loan to buy a mustang gt. You have no excuse. :colbert:

I also wanted to keep my payments low? Seriously I'm starting to dig having an appliance car.

Keykey, I haven't dealt with that yet but I've dealt with a lot of people who wont give me their last names, so they'll come in and talk to a salesman who will look them up in VIN by first and last names, not find them, and start a new file. I have a lot of duplicate files thanks to absent names and misspellings. That's my name game, trying to get a real name.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
Ended the month with 27 sold cars and 81 appointments showing up. We're so close to hitting a 12% closing ratio that I will probably break some salesperson kneecaps if it doesn't happen.

One of my salespeople let one of my customers get away. He was "too busy" to go with her to show her a vehicle at another one of our locations across the street, so she drove over there herself and then bought it from them. I'm going to be mad as hell if I miss out on an extra $500 because my salesman was too lazy to drive a customer across the street.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Holy poo poo, I would have thought a car salesman would bite his own arm off at the chance to get a customer inside a running, driving car. There's so many natural sales opportunities there.

Grab the next level of car up from the one they're looking at, make a gentle upsell. Idiot.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Holy poo poo, I would have thought a car salesman would bite his own arm off at the chance to get a customer inside a running, driving car. There's so many natural sales opportunities there.

Grab the next level of car up from the one they're looking at, make a gentle upsell. Idiot.

A lot of salesmen are really lazy and only want the easy ones, and will write off any customer who doesn't want to buy at our dealership that same day. This is one of the same salesman who never follows up with his customers and routinely asks me to do his follow up work.

There is no benefit to up selling at our dealership, aside from getting the customer into a better car. The salesmen are paid on a per-unit basis rather than commission.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 214 days!)

goatse guy posted:

The salesmen are paid on a per-unit basis rather than commission.

Is that the same policy on the Kia side? When I was picking up the folks from dropping of the Soptima for some warranty work, they flocked to me in my still-had-new-smell '08 around Q2 '09, just stumbling over themselves to try to assist me, like leeches to body heat. Uh, no. I'm not here to trade for a Forte, guys.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

goatse guy posted:

A lot of salesmen are really lazy and only want the easy ones, and will write off any customer who doesn't want to buy at our dealership that same day.
You know what car dealerships used to call these guys? Fired.

What the gently caress is wrong with our society when we can't even expect our car salespeople to be predatory assholes?

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Viggen posted:

Is that the same policy on the Kia side? When I was picking up the folks from dropping of the Soptima for some warranty work, they flocked to me in my still-had-new-smell '08 around Q2 '09, just stumbling over themselves to try to assist me, like leeches to body heat. Uh, no. I'm not here to trade for a Forte, guys.

Depends on the company that owns the dealership. Every pay plan is different. The Subaru and Kia dealership I worked for previously also paid on a per-unit basis but had incentives for selling certain cars, and friends in other dealerships get paid a percentage of the price of the car.

Leeches is a good way to describe salespeople though.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

quote:

yes, I have a very long list of what I am looking for, which is why I typed it up in a 1 page email I am looking to fwd to a sales agent

I already know that whatever he wants is going to be impossible to find.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

goatse guy posted:

So when do you expect to see winged unicorns back in stock?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yo goatse guy, which subaru dealership should I have my timing belt and HG replacement done at? And how the hell can I call and actually GET AN ESTIMATE without having to speak to some random person, leave a number, and then wait all week for them to maybe call me back if they feel like it? Because that's what happening at White Bear and it's kinda annoying, I want to shop around and compare with my independent mechanic but all I get is a bunch of "oh yeah let me put a request in and they will call you back."

It's maddening.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Yo goatse guy, which subaru dealership should I have my timing belt and HG replacement done at? And how the hell can I call and actually GET AN ESTIMATE without having to speak to some random person, leave a number, and then wait all week for them to maybe call me back if they feel like it? Because that's what happening at White Bear and it's kinda annoying, I want to shop around and compare with my independent mechanic but all I get is a bunch of "oh yeah let me put a request in and they will call you back."

It's maddening.

I just PMed you, because my dealership chain is the best dealership in the cities.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

And how the hell can I call and actually GET AN ESTIMATE without having to speak to some random person, leave a number, and then wait all week for them to maybe call me back if they feel like it?

With few exceptions, the only answer to this is "an independent mechanic". Which still usually requires them to check parts pricing, but a good one gets back to you within an hour.

I think GG's chain is one of the few exceptions in the US.

goatse guy posted:

I'm going to assume he's either asking for a very specific used car, or asking for a combo that the manufacturer refuses to do?

If (when) I buy a new car, I know I'm going to piss off whoever I'm dealing with, since I have a very specific checklist. Short version is I hate leather, hate automatic, hate built-in navigation, have only a few colors I like, but want nearly every other option on that model. The only things my Ion doesn't have that I wanted is ABS and side impact air bags, and I'm pretty sure I found one of maybe a handful of Ions ever built with everything else available on it in this body style. It's an odd enough combo that there's no way it wasn't a custom order.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

some texas redneck posted:

If (when) I buy a new car, I know I'm going to piss off whoever I'm dealing with, since I have a very specific checklist. Short version is I hate leather, hate automatic, hate built-in navigation, have only a few colors I like, but want nearly every other option on that model. The only things my Ion doesn't have that I wanted is ABS and side impact air bags, and I'm pretty sure I found one of maybe a handful of Ions ever built with everything else available on it in this body style. It's an odd enough combo that there's no way it wasn't a custom order.

We're pretty picky as well. I always buy old used cars but my wife is currently leasing new stuff (so we have at least one car that's reliable!) and she ordered her Fiesta soecial-built from Mexico. Took about four months.

Candy blue exterior, white leather heated seats, 5-speed manual, titanium package. When she gives it up next year for probably a Focus, it'll be the same deal I'm sure.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

some texas redneck posted:

I'm going to assume he's either asking for a very specific used car, or asking for a combo that the manufacturer refuses to do?

The customer never got back to me about what he's looking for, but my guess is that he's going to want an AWD turbo Sante Fe Sport with the tech package in a particular color, and he's going to tell me that one of our rival dealerships has one for a particular price and wants to know if we can beat it. My guess is based on the fact that I get one of these inquiries coming across my desk every week, and I haven't seen one in the last couple of days.

Dealerships are going to hate you. Unless you're buying a luxury car, most dealerships don't want to order a car for you, because A. the customer might change their mind, leaving them with something weird, and B. salesman are very short-sighted and all about instant gratification.

Time to go remind some of my salespeople to follow up with their customers and check their voicemail. Sometimes I'm not sure whether I'm their business development rep, their secretary, or their mom.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
I also listened to that TAL story that was posted on the first page, and it gave me both some knowledge about the motivations for salesfolk, as well as a lot of empathy. My goal when buying a car or getting it serviced is to basically not be "that guy" that gets posted about in threads like this.

When we bought my wife's fully outfitted 3.8 gen coupe, The asking price was 37k and change. It was well over our budget of ~30k but I wanted to see what kind of deal I could get (since she absolutely loved the car).

I was completely nice to the sales guy, respected his job that he had to do. I mean, he's a human being doing his thing, so I treated him with respect. Over the course of 3 days of shopping around, we managed to get the price down to 30.5k

I then discovered that we qualified for a 2k cashback incentive for the new car purchase, and I thought "great, that makes it 28.5k!". Well, it ends up that the sales manager had already included the 2k incentive as part of lowering the price down.

I ended up pointing out how that meant the price was 32.5k, not 30.5k. I shook the salesguy's hand, thanked him for his time, and walked out. But not in a huff, I wasn't angry, we were just keen on sticking to the budget. When I pulled out I did a slow pass in front of the building, while telling my wife "Watch this". Sure enough, salesdude comes jogging out and invites us in to wrap up the deal.

We got it down to 28.5k.

So I feel like it's possible to get down the price without being a total dick. In this scenario the sales manager was pretty sketchy, so I felt a little free to bully him a little bit. He was definitely the harder push, but I usually got him laughing, so I wasn't ever rude, just matter-of-fact. The actual sales guy seemed to become more of an advocate who was keen on getting us into the car under our budget, so I honestly feel like he ran interference for us when the sales manager almost cost him a deal.

Of course, last time I brought my STi in for service I brought in donuts for the service guys in the garage. I figure enough people are impatient and rude, the dudes could probably use a donut.

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 3, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Linux Nazi posted:

Of course, last time I brought my STi in for service I brought in donuts for the service guys in the garage. I figure enough people are impatient and rude, the dudes could probably use a donut.
"Donuts on your bench, not in my car, you hear me?"

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The service guys can eat the food my kids have managed to chemically bond to the seats, carpet, rug, windows, dash if they are hungry.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
I feel like I could actually contribute to this thread, considering I work for the nations largest sub-prime BHPH dealership chain. But all I do is IT infrastructure work, so for all I know we sell widgets.

I will say this: We did stand up an auto auction in partnership with another large automotive lender, and I attended our virgin auction when we finally opened it. By law we have to place any car that we repo up for auction (to prevent the kind of predatory repo behavior), and we got tired of paying a 3rd party to provide it to us, so we just stood up our own. All it meant to me was I got to play with VBlock for the first time.

You've never seen so many incredibly beat-up and high-mileage cars sell for so much more than they are worth. If anything looked like it was in good shape, it sold for a lot. I saw a 270k mile 2005 tribeca auction for north of 7k. The thing looked good (for a tribeca), but sounded rough.

I feel like most of the buyers were small lot operators. The atmosphere during the actual auction is loving crazy too, it's literally like another language. When we were on the floor, we had to keep our hands in our pocket. Scratching our nose could be conveyed as a bid to the auctioneers.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
The used car market has gone full retard lately. Some blame the whole cash for clunkers, which did take a poo poo load of cars off the road. But, personally, I am contributing the issue now to the sub prime car loan ordeal.

Plus the fact that anything 25 years old is automatically considered "well, I saw a 1987 Lincoln Town Car go for 7000 on Mecum Auctions, so my ratted out piece of poo poo is worth the same".

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Is there a big difference between North American dealers and the way they do business and Japanese (based)?

I've been under the impression that short of a factory incentive, you're lucky to get $1K off MSRP on a Toyota/Honda/Subaru/etc but if you're dealing with a big 3 dealer you can routinely take many thousands off in the process of dealing even without an uber factory incentive.

C/D?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

BrokenKnucklez posted:

The used car market has gone full retard lately. Some blame the whole cash for clunkers, which did take a poo poo load of cars off the road. But, personally, I am contributing the issue now to the sub prime car loan ordeal.

Plus the fact that anything 25 years old is automatically considered "well, I saw a 1987 Lincoln Town Car go for 7000 on Mecum Auctions, so my ratted out piece of poo poo is worth the same".

The prices on more recent cars is ridiculous too, at least on imports. I've seen a year or two old Corolla sell for $13k+ and if you factor in the higher interest rate, you're probably better off just getting it new if you can.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 214 days!)

mariooncrack posted:

The prices on more recent cars is ridiculous too, at least on imports. I've seen a year or two old Corolla sell for $13k+ and if you factor in the higher interest rate, you're probably better off just getting it new if you can.

I assume you mean decade, otherwise this doesn't make a lot of sense. If you are too broke to afford a new car, you often get the BHPH poors tax. v:v:v

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
More recent used cars, my bad. I must have edited post and forgot to reread it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

goatse guy posted:

Dealerships are going to hate you. Unless you're buying a luxury car, most dealerships don't want to order a car for you, because A. the customer might change their mind, leaving them with something weird, and B. salesman are very short-sighted and all about instant gratification.

Now that I think about it, yeah you're very right.

I was walking the lot when I had my car in for the GM death ignition switch recall, and the salesmen were flocking to me despite my insistence that I didn't want to buy today. A few still insisted on "chatting", but always disappeared in a hurry when they found out I don't do automatic (everything on the lot was auto except for two Camaros). They really scattered when I wandered onto the part of the lot with economy cars.

I'm still trying to wash the sleaziness off of me from the one that still stuck around after that, he was trying to sell me one of those Camaros. Even when I said "#1, upside down on my loan, #2 bad credit, #3 this is a $50k car when my yearly income is half that and mostly cash, #4 how many times did I say no".

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

How much pressure is there, as an employee of a dealership, to buy their brand, or even trade in for a car from that dealership? I assume it varies from company to company like anything else, but I'd like to know what your experiences have been in this regard.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

How much pressure is there, as an employee of a dealership, to buy their brand, or even trade in for a car from that dealership? I assume it varies from company to company like anything else, but I'd like to know what your experiences have been in this regard.

I've got one of the few Hyundais in the employee parking lot. I didn't feel pressure to buy one, but they did offer me a great deal on it and I feel much better about buying from our dealership chain than I do about buying from another chain or even a private party.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

poo poo, I even got a bit of a stink eye as a customer once. Drove up to the Chevy dealership in my old Ford, asked "Hey, where's the parts counter?" of a wandering salesman, and got a "for... Chevy? *grimace*" as he looks at my truck. YMMV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

quote:

I am really interested by the FORD F350 you have in stock.
I am living in TAHITI in FRENCH POLYNESIA.
I used to fly in USA for my personal needs and my next trip to California will be on next month.
I could arrange a fly to your place to see the truck.

He's living in Tahiti but he wants to buy an F350 that's located in the midwestern US. That's, uh, interesting.

• Locked thread