Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Flesh Forge posted:

Have you tried through the Arc client?

I haven't, actually- you think it'd work? I might give it a try once I get back home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Perfect World is based out of China, and I'm sure they want all your Mysterious Asian Moneys. Arc is the Mysterious Asian Not-Steam.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

CommissarMega posted:

Thanks, man! I'm thinking of going munitions myself, if what you said about it being hard to gimp myself is true- what can I say? I think guns are cool :shobon: As for subscribing, I wish I could, but apparently we over here in the Mysterious Orient™ can't subscribe.

I know we had a dude who had to to have someone buy him time cards off Amazon and send him the codes - there's obviously some trust involved there but you could probably get that set up with somebody here.

Light Gun Man posted:

Anyone have plans to do any kind of active current group or weekly party nights or anything?

Babe Magnet posted:

I'm trying to convince myself to play more so I can unlock the new powerset, so if anyone wants to do any group stuff find me in-game at @Unsubredun. I'm not sure how active the Supergroup is right now, if it's even active at all, as I'm not part of it.

poo poo is really, really quiet. @bluhman seems to have never stopped playing, and I usually see @whaaat around, so the SuperGoon channel is still a reasonable place to get a supergroup invite - but the Safari is long dead. Expect to run a lot of alerts.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Holy poo poo, I didn't even have to use the client- I managed to subscribe from the website :toot: Thanks for the tip, Flesh Forge!

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
I started playing this. The game's not bad by any stretch, but it has a terrible F2P system. I'm not planning on playing very long (probably won't need to as it seems the consensus is the game has a lack of content), so I just bit the bullet and I'm subscribing for now. I missed CoH, and I'm happy this game offers about the same level of customization.

I do have some minor complaints, like the combat feels off, nothing feels satisfying about it. A lot of the costume pieces are locked at the start, even for a subscriber.

I started with the Beast Supernatural powerset, since it looked like a claw moveset since the other claw powerset I've read sucks. I do feel kind of fragile right now, but I'm only level 10 or so.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
Yes, I'm still around in CO.

The Savage (if you're an AT?) Is probably one of the most well-rounded ATs out there. You're not going to be fragile for long, especially when you get blocking down.

From an optimization standpoint the new powers the Automaton unlocks (Aspect of the Machine, Rocket Punch, and Binding Shot) are all pretty much worthless: AotM falls flat in its slow stacking, lack of energy, and generally just the same final potential damage after you're fully stacked as any other toggle (albeit balanced on all damage). Binding Shot's just a reskin of Bolas entirely, just with a shooting animation instead of a throwing one. Rocket Punch is almost very good, but very narrow for a cylinder.

That all said, Rocket Punch does look extremely cool and makes for a good missile launch in case sprouting a weird wrist launcher isn't your thing on Tactical Missiles. I know for a fact that the Automaton AT is horribly set up in general, so I'll try and help when I can with leveling.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

Nah, I made a freeform character, but I started with the Beast Supernatural attacks, and also took the cone AOE (Frenzy) and a self-buff (Aspect of the Bestial). I've been looking through that guide that was posted earlier, looking at what other powersets I could branch out to.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

This game is super fun and is one of the best 3-6 months in online RPGs going anywhere, more if you don't play compulsively long stretches. The subscriber experience really is a million times better than free-to play though.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
Fun fact: If you have a level 40 character and the automaton unlocked, you can retrain that character to the automaton and instantly unlock the powers rather than actually levelling an automaton. Even better, if you're subscribed you can do it for free as long as you've never retrained before. Look for the option on the righthand side of the character select screen.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

That's fantastic, as everywhere I look I see people talkin' poo poo about how the powerset is built and I really don't want to level it now.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

Wow, this game really has some...cringeworthy voice acting and dialogue. And am I really fighting the Saints as the first villain group (I'm sorry, The New Purple Gang)?

I'm still having fun with it though. I'm not really playing a lot, but it seems to be a good game to fart around for an hour or two. Nearly everything in this game is considered solo content, right?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The voice acting is the best thing about this game.

There's some harder group stuff, but it's all exclusively endgame yeah.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Asimo posted:

The voice acting is the best thing about this game.

if only.

:ironicat:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I stand by my statement. :getin:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sapphire's singing is a war crime.

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

I wanted to check this out again so I downloaded a fresh copy from Steam. I can log in but I get "Error 31: A hog returned an error while trying to read". I've tried disabling my anti-virus, verifying the files with the launcher, running it as administrator, no luck. I also looked through the first couple pages of google results for Champions Error 31, nothing helped. Anyone got an idea on how to get past this?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Sounds like a file is damaged or corrupt, hog/pig is often an archive file format. Probably you need to force Steam to download some or all of the install again but you should contact Steam support before doing anything drastic.

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, I forgot to mention I deleted it completely and redownloaded it from Steam. I also tried to Verify the local game cache, neither helped. I'll try downloading the client directly from Arc, like I need more software delivery platforms on my machine.

[Edit: No dice, the Arc launcher gives the same error. What the hell?]
[Edit2: Arc was using the Steam install. Manually deleted it, installed from Arc, started working. Still weird.]

TriggerHappy fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 3, 2014

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

What the hell, I'll reinstall and see if I can bear to retrain any of my finished characters (I have like 40).

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Colgate posted:

Wow, this game really has some...cringeworthy voice acting and dialogue. And am I really fighting the Saints as the first villain group (I'm sorry, The New Purple Gang)?

I'm still having fun with it though. I'm not really playing a lot, but it seems to be a good game to fart around for an hour or two. Nearly everything in this game is considered solo content, right?

:goonsay: The New Purple Gang is more accurately based off the actual Purple Gang that existed in Detroit during the times of prohibition. Incidentally, Millennium City is what became of Detroit after it was blasted from orbit by Dr. Destroyer in 1992.

Not to mention, the New Purple Gang is not nearly rich or crazy enough to be related to the Saints.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Also, Kevin Poe is a whiny chump and would never make it as a Saint. :colbert:

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

LordSaturn posted:

Also, Kevin Poe is a whiny chump and would never make it as a Saint. :colbert:

There would be no superheroes if Gat and the Boss existed in the Champions Universe. :colbert:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Allatum posted:

There would be no superheroes if Gat and the Boss existed in the Champions Universe. :colbert:

I think you mean to say Gat, the Boss and Kinzie would be the only superheroes. Because we wouldn't need more than that. :colbert:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

WarLocke posted:

I think you mean to say Gat, the Boss and Kinzie would be the only superheroes. Because we wouldn't need more than that. :colbert:

Note to self, check out all that DLC content my dust collecting season pass has accumulated.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
For a second there I was wondering why someone was taking a screenshot of a bunch of random superheroes during the Blood Moon event.

What the gently caress. CO and Saints Row should not look that similar. :psyduck:

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

So hey, the new costume set looks pretty cool: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/champions-online/news/detail/7008813

I guess I just really want "fire head with mask" to play with.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

LordSaturn posted:

So hey, the new costume set looks pretty cool: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/champions-online/news/detail/7008813

I really like those full and half helmets.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, that's pretty much the "Kirby Cosmic God" costume and I'm alright with that.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Pretty ambivalent on the weapons though, claws are in desperate need of some new types, and cosmic-claws would have probably looked pretty cool, feel like we have an overabundance of techno-swords

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Did they ever fix Claws?

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

LordSaturn posted:

Well hello flaming head, I fully expect you to work with the bubble dome heads so we can have glowing flame heads through bugging.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

So, a freeform slot is uh ... five ... THOUSAND ... zen. That's a little bit of questionite farming.

e: Oh haha they must have just read this post because they're now on sale for FOUR thousand. Nice!

Guy Forget
Dec 25, 2006
It's not pronounced the way you think.
They're somewhat frequently on sale for half price, just hold out for one of those sales if you want one. Don't be fooled by the lesser sales like this one!

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Im trying to play as an arcane blaster but even the starting missions kick my rear end. I gotta be doing something wrong. Is there a good soloable build?

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Did they ever fix Claws?
Claws has always had really devastating single-target damage, so it's not a bad idea to take something like Dragon's Claw or Viper's Fangs to shred and destroy solo targets.

That said, no, it hasn't gotten any AoE attacks yet.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Im trying to play as an arcane blaster but even the starting missions kick my rear end. I gotta be doing something wrong. Is there a good soloable build?

Sorcery's kind of low on direct damage, but it definitely is workable. My advice: as soon as you can, get Skarn's Bane, because it's an extremely powerful cone. Depending on how survivable you want to be, I'd also suggest either the Ebon Circle or Primal Circle.

The usual other stuff also applies: Get your passive as early as like level 8, toggle level 11-14, and start out with a single-target attack and AoE. The best early-level AoE I can think for sorcery is Arcane Sigils with advantage, since it's a quick, high-damage point-blank attack as opposed to Pillar of Poz and it's annoying knock.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Ebon Sigils is an extremely powerful debuff, especially if you're into Presence.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

So after a few days of playing, I converted a bunch of my characters to the various free archetypes and selling Questionite from dailies, I'm getting between 50 and 100 zen per day (100 if I catch two sets of dailies). It's a big comedown to be limited to archetypes only, but a few of them are quite good (the tank ATs, the Mind, Grimoire, Inferno because it just does filthy damage, Soldier and Marksman for the same reason). I actually like ATs in play more than I thought I would - they're a lot more palatable when they're free - but at this rate once I get 2500 zen I may unlock a premium archetype or two.

e: Disciple is the blatant choice

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
There's a reason why some PVP and PVE players prefer the AT's: they get an innate numerical boost to their power to compensate for not optimizing power selection. All outgoing damage and healing, and I dare say their ability to take damage too, is numerically higher than a Freeform with the exact same power selection and role assignment.

Inferno and Glacier are pretty drat fun and powerful AT's!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Glacier was my first character and I enjoyed it. Disciple is hilariously easy most of the time, was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The new Automaton AT is genuinely really good, I'm surprised.