Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Guys, I think the person named ANIME MONSTROSITY with the double-tall anime traffic cone avatar and has differing-opinion-trolled this exact thread on multiple occasions might not be serious. Dunno why I would think that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I'm sure the YOSPOS poster with a 2 page rap sheet is being totally serious right now guys.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
I do have to admit that something about the term has made me uncomfortable ever since I heard how Roman Polanski successfully garnered some public sympathy for being a mere statutory rapist when his actions would have comprised rape even if the victim had not been a minor. We need a way to charge people with regular rape and statutory at the same time.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

LaughMyselfTo posted:

I do have to admit that something about the term has made me uncomfortable ever since I heard how Roman Polanski successfully garnered some public sympathy for being a mere statutory rapist when his actions would have comprised rape even if the victim had not been a minor. We need a way to charge people with regular rape and statutory at the same time.

Wait, what? I've never read about anything about Polanski, is that like a thing? Really a really real thing? That can't be.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

kazil posted:

I'm sure the YOSPOS poster with a 2 page rap sheet is being totally serious right now guys.

Oh man what an expertly crafted troll! Foiled again!!!

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Garrand posted:

Wait, what? I've never read about anything about Polanski, is that like a thing? Really a really real thing? That can't be.

Unfortunately, it super can.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Garrand posted:

He's known more for that than his films.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

He's known more for that than his films.

I've honestly never heard of anything about Roman Polanski outside of these forums where people bring up what he did. I didn't even know what he did for a living, but I also didn't know the details on his case.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

dijon du jour posted:

Guys, I think the person named ANIME MONSTROSITY with the double-tall anime traffic cone avatar and has differing-opinion-trolled this exact thread on multiple occasions might not be serious. Dunno why I would think that.

you don't say

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

You're right. You shouldn't loving believe it. Because its not loving true.

Do some people really just believe anything they read online?Yes they do.

EDIT - A double whammy from the same person that I didn't notice before I made my post in this thread.

No, he was arrested for failing to comply with an order to disperse by the police after a 40 minute argument, and was later arrested on suspicion of racial harassment, and will probably get quietly released without charge.

Lord Ludikrous has a new favorite as of 19:01 on Oct 3, 2014

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
Wow, that guy must have read so much crazy American politics he's just stealing them wholesale. The first time I've seen Cameron assumed of being a Muslim.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just :lol: if you didnt want to gently caress your teachers aid as a teenager.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

dijon du jour posted:

holy poo poo, you're right, rape is hilarious regardless of how good you are at being funny

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

holy poo poo, you're right, rape is hilarious regardless of how good you are at being funny

Do you even know what trolling is or what

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

trapped mouse posted:

Do you even know what trolling is or what

Yes, but maybe saying "bad thing is good" and running away giggling like a douche is kind of stupid?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Yes, but maybe saying "bad thing is good" and running away giggling like a douche is kind of stupid?

No your reaction to the trolling is the funny part.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

kazil posted:

"Person gets mad at really dumb thing someone else did/said" Literally this entire thread

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

kazil posted:

Yeah I found ANIME MONSTROSITY to be an unfunny idiot despite getting their attempt at humor I'm totally loving alone in this

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kazil posted:

That doesn't make rape jokes cool to make.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
SHUT UP ABOUT TROLLING!

Content:

Ebola Ebola Ebola.

Crain has a new favorite as of 20:18 on Oct 3, 2014

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Crain posted:

Ebola Ebola Ebola.

2.5x higher than 1? So two and a half people may have it?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Lblitzer posted:

2.5x higher than 1? So two and a half people may have it?
I've heard that there may be a few more infections outside the U.S. as well. There's a possibility that he's referring to those.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Ludicro posted:

You're right. You shouldn't loving believe it. Because its not loving true.

Do some people really just believe anything they read online?Yes they do.

EDIT - A double whammy from the same person that I didn't notice before I made my post in this thread.

No, he was arrested for failing to comply with an order to disperse by the police after a 40 minute argument, and was later arrested on suspicion of racial harassment, and will probably get quietly released without charge.

Someone I worked with recently tried to convince me that the UK had brought in Sharia law. Like, that was the whole justice system now. The fact that I'm an English expat with my entire family back in the UK (who would probably bring up a tiny, insignificant thing like that in our phone conversations) didn't convince them they might just be wrong.

Calling them a racist shut them up though.

Strudel Man posted:

I've heard that there may be a few more infections outside the U.S. as well. There's a possibility that he's referring to those.

Yeah and considering how much panic and misunderstanding there is in places like Liberia, there are probably families hiding infections from aid workers. The real number would be hard to ascertain.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Vintersorg posted:

Just :lol: if you didnt want to gently caress your teachers aid as a teenager.

Yeah, duh.

If later in life as an adult you don't think it's creepy and gross then you yourself are surely creepy and gross.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

8000 of them to date, this outbreak is a pretty serious one, but probably not worth making GBS threads yourself over unless you live in Liberia, Sierra Leone, or Guinea.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I was flipping through daytime TV when all the channels have news on and literally every single one had headlines like "WILL YOU DIE FROM EBOLA?!" And of course CNN had a 5 hour long special about it, which most likely consisted of "experts" describing how likely it is to come to the U.S. and kill everyone and how quickly. So people panicking isn't that surprising.

Content:

From that dating website earlier that didn't show women's faces unless they chose to:

CaptBushido
Mar 24, 2004

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

I was flipping through daytime TV when all the channels have news on and literally every single one had headlines like "WILL YOU DIE FROM EBOLA?!" And of course CNN had a 5 hour long special about it, which most likely consisted of "experts" describing how likely it is to come to the U.S. and kill everyone and how quickly. So people panicking isn't that surprising.

Content:

From that dating website earlier that didn't show women's faces unless they chose to:

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
My mom's friends are dumb.

She works in accounting, has three kids, and has her mommy pay for anything she needs. And, last I checked, Washington state hadn't fallen into the ocean due to increasing their min wage. How dare people want a living wage and not have to live paycheck-to-paycheck?

CaptBushido
Mar 24, 2004

dovetaile posted:

She works in accounting, has three kids, and has her mommy pay for anything she needs. And, last I checked, Washington state hadn't fallen into the ocean due to increasing their min wage. How dare people want a living wage and not have to live paycheck-to-paycheck?

Nobody tell her that $15/hour is the basic MINIMUM that activists and pro-labor economists think is appropriate for the cost of living today.

Also, if this is Montgomery County, Maryland, which I may be wrong about, I just want to vent at how sick I am hearing Republican Marylanders moan about "OUR HIGH TAXES" and "NON-COMPETITIVE ECONOMY" while our economy has been consistently great despite being surrounded by lower taxed, lower wage states like Pennsylvania and Virginia. Hell, these whiners themselves could have picked up and moved at any time; they could probably even still commute to work from one of those other states. Yet somehow we're not only still competitive but actually better off in certain key metrics due to all the money we've put into education and social programs.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

CaptBushido posted:

Nobody tell her that $15/hour is the basic MINIMUM that activists and pro-labor economists think is appropriate for the cost of living today.

Also, if this is Montgomery County, Maryland, which I may be wrong about, I just want to vent at how sick I am hearing Republican Marylanders moan about "OUR HIGH TAXES" and "NON-COMPETITIVE ECONOMY" while our economy has been consistently great despite being surrounded by lower taxed, lower wage states like Pennsylvania and Virginia. Hell, these whiners themselves could have picked up and moved at any time; they could probably even still commute to work from one of those other states. Yet somehow we're not only still competitive but actually better off in certain key metrics due to all the money we've put into education and social programs.

The only downside to living in MC is the traffic. I love Maryland.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

dovetaile posted:

Well yeah, don't you know that 100% of the costs of goods is labour? So by increasing wages you'll increase the cost of goods by exactly that amount and change nothing!

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Olanphonia posted:

The only downside to living in MC is the traffic. I love Maryland.

Haha, and everything else. (Full disclaimer: I live in PG County.) And, CaptBushido, it is indeed, MoCo MD. She's not even from Montgomery County; she's also from PG.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

kannonfodder posted:

Well yeah, don't you know that 100% of the costs of goods is labour? So by increasing wages you'll increase the cost of goods by exactly that amount and change nothing!

The second half is not entirely false, since plenty of companies will increase their prices by that amount so that they can increase profits. Its not that that the cost of good is labor, its that people are greedy and want to exploit those who make so little they can't fight back.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

CaptBushido posted:

Yeah, I earn $15/hour now and living in NYC you basically still need roommates to make it work but it's pretty nice. Better than feeling like I'm on the verge of homelessness every day like I did when I was earning $10/hour.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

The second half is not entirely false, since plenty of companies will increase their prices by that amount so that they can increase profits. Its not that that the cost of good is labor, its that people are greedy and want to exploit those who make so little they can't fight back.

They'll increase cost by however much they can while keeping their customers. It's not like they have their prices set where they are at now out of benevolence. They're attempts to maximize profits won't change much. Sure, prices will go up, but not by nearly as much as people are panicking they will.

SpliffClavin
Jul 31, 2007

oh geez rick
Is increasing the earnings and happiness of thousands of people really worth having to pay 5 cents more for a can of soup? Soup is already like $1.75!

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Kit Walker posted:

Yeah, I earn $15/hour now and living in NYC you basically still need roommates to make it work but it's pretty nice. Better than feeling like I'm on the verge of homelessness every day like I did when I was earning $10/hour.

Hey now, I make $10/hr and live in MOCO, MD and I work in PG and I'm able to mostly survive (with a lot of help from family and living with 4 friends). It's still bullshit though, if I want to make more in my current area of expertise I either have to spend 5+ years working on a PHD and then hope I find something around here (not happening) or continue my 2+ year search for work in private industry as a contractor (which at this point doesn't seem likely either). Oh, I forgot to mention that I have 4+ years experience in my field.

Crain has a new favorite as of 06:23 on Oct 4, 2014

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

SpliffClavin posted:

Is increasing the earnings and happiness of thousands of people really worth having to pay 5 cents more for a can of soup? Soup is already like $1.75!

What kind of cheap rear end poor people soup are you eating?

Seriously tho, I am in favor of both the raise in pay and raising prices, even, if raised prices mean higher quality food for those who need it instead of the poo poo that people eat now. I recently started making enough that I could break away from the ultra cheap foods, and its amazing how much better I feel.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Crain posted:

Hey now, I make $10/hr and live in MOCO, MD and I work in PG and I'm able to mostly survive (with a lot of help from family and living with 4 friends)
how is your response in any way relevant to somebody stating that you can't live comfortably on $10 an hour in loving NYC, much less so relevant that it needs to start with "hey now" like you're refuting somebody who made a dangerous assertion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

InediblePenguin posted:

how is your response in any way relevant to somebody stating that you can't live comfortably on $10 an hour in loving NYC, much less so relevant that it needs to start with "hey now" like you're refuting somebody who made a dangerous assertion

Well, he does state that making $10/hr means he has to get help from family and have four roommates, so it doesn't sound like he is actually refuting.

• Locked thread