Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Blackheart posted:

In my dream, Hussie is just letting KC do sbahj out of pity and doesn't have it in his heart to tell him, to his face, how bad it was. It's that.

This seems like a pretty reasonable theory, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Part of what SBaHJ so lovely looking is that it's obvious that parts of previous comics can been reused, in inappropriate places, after the quality reductions.

This results in different quality in different parts of the image, increasing the shittiness exponentially. Bonus points if the 'author' is lazy and only half-erases the old context.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Bobulus posted:

Part of what SBaHJ so lovely looking is that it's obvious that parts of previous comics can been reused, in inappropriate places, after the quality reductions.

This results in different quality in different parts of the image, increasing the shittiness exponentially. Bonus points if the 'author' is lazy and only half-erases the old context.
Hussie is on the record as saying making SBaHJ takes him far more time to make than any (non-flash) Homestuck comics, that you can't just be lovely, but that when you're talented you have to put effort into creating something that looks so low-effort.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Yeah, there is no way the end of the church one didn't take a TON of effort to do. I mean, just look at this mess!

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

CuddlyZombie posted:

Yeah, there is no way the end of the church one didn't take a TON of effort to do. I mean, just look at this mess!

In the book it goes past that into a full two-page spread of technicolor poo poo and it's beautiful.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

CuddlyZombie posted:

I spent this entire post thinking about how I would have no idea how to do any of this, then I got to the bottom of it. Wow.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

It's the Sharpen tool in Photoshop

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So what I'm really curious about, if it will even be addressed, is why did the Troll Queen choose to marry Sassacure? Twice even.

I doubt it was Lord English's orders, that doesn't seem like something he'd want or care about. And it can't JUST be to get her hands on Nanna/Grandpa/Poppop/Grandma, because she doesn't really do much with any of them beyond ruin Nanna's life and ultimately kill Grandma Jade.

She has Jane as her Heir and it's implied that this is genuine thanks to Meenah, which makes me wonder what she thinks of John since he's effectively her son and great grandson twice over.

I doubt it'll factor into anything, but I just think it's a really weird and interesting relationship thing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
My completely insane theory is that she genuinely loved the old prankster.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

MonsieurChoc posted:

My completely insane theory is that she genuinely loved the old prankster.

Love? In Homestuck? I don't believe it.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Burkion posted:

So what I'm really curious about, if it will even be addressed, is why did the Troll Queen choose to marry Sassacure? Twice even.

He made fish puns.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The Batterwitch's path seems to make the most sense if you assume she's a bit like Meenah, in that would rather brute-force things (expending resources and time) than make the effort to be clever. She's literally wasted thousands of years moving from one location in the story to the other, for no other reason that she has the time (between her highblood long life and Lord English's immortality curse) to waste and doesn't need to think of a more clever way.

So I basically assume her path right now is to obey the orders Lord English gives her, while lazily attempting to efforts every chance she gets, without putting much forethought into it. Just throwing poo poo against the wall and seeing what sticks. These humans might one-day father the kids who will go on to help create Lord English? The Batterwitch keeps them apart in the hopes it fucks up LE's poo poo.

It's her carefree way of wasting time to solve her problems that makes me think her ultimate fate in the comic it finally just... run out. No exciting final fight or going out throwing the double-birds to the protagonists... she just fucks up, Lord English takes back his curse, and she dies of old age.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The main thing that catches me, and I do have to imagine some of her implied affection for the old coot was genuine due to this-she could have easily side stepped marrying a human. Lord knows she's stated our reproductive methods disgust her, though I have to wonder if that applies strictly to HAVING babies or if that does include sex, and only because she is a more sexual character in how she presents herself-I don't want to make this any loving weird bucketchat. I'm leaning towards the babies thing, mostly because of Mindfang's journal fiction.

Anyways she could have side stepped marrying him and just taken the babies when they landed. She certainly didn't have to marry him twice-that presents a pattern to her thinking that could be very cool to elaborate on. Mind you the only other character she's shown affection for was the Pilot, and that was, uh, not a healthy romance.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Maybe marrying Sassacre killed two birds with one stone? She was able to separate the two children of each universe and also use Sassacre's prankster fortune to jumpstart her baking empire?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Burkion posted:

[...] sexual [...] bucketchat [...]

Awwwww yeah. It's time for more talk about alien boning... *slams shipping grid down on table and all the MSPA Thread posters come in for a HUGE shipping debate*

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Burkion posted:

She has Jane as her Heir and it's implied that this is genuine thanks to Meenah, which makes me wonder what she thinks of John since he's effectively her son and great grandson twice over.
Well, she killed post-Scratch Rose, Dave and Jade, but apparently not John. That's got to count for something.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Quantum Toast posted:

Well, she killed post-Scratch Rose, Dave and Jade, but apparently not John. That's got to count for something.

On the other hand, Meenah has tried to kill John several times.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just realized something beautiful guys.

John, unless I'm mistaken, does not know about the Batterwitch. Specifically he does not know that she is A) the Troll Queen, B) Actually loving Evil Like He Always Thought, and C) His great grandmother/alternate mom.

This will be the best freakout in the world when these things are made clear to him.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It was probably east to woo him with her nautical puns, and she probably wasn't married to him very long before he was killed by meteor babies. It's a pretty easy way to jumpstart your plans.

Although it does make me curious as to how he died in the post-scratch timeline. John had what, the jokebook with him on the meteorite? I wonder if that freaked out Sassacre and the witch just had to fork him.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Burkion posted:

I just realized something beautiful guys.

John, unless I'm mistaken, does not know about the Batterwitch. Specifically he does not know that she is A) the Troll Queen, B) Actually loving Evil Like He Always Thought, and C) His great grandmother/alternate mom.

This will be the best freakout in the world when these things are made clear to him.

This is exactly the sort of thing that will either pass without comment or be deliberately made fun of by showing how much this revelation doesn't surprise John.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Bobulus posted:

It's her carefree way of wasting time to solve her problems that makes me think her ultimate fate in the comic it finally just... run out. No exciting final fight or going out throwing the double-birds to the protagonists... she just fucks up, Lord English takes back his curse, and she dies of old age.
I don't think revoking the curse would do anything. Fuschia blooded trolls like her and Feferi are nigh-immortal age wise. It's why they rule Alternia and why the ruling Fuschia has to be killed by their successor in battle. The curse seems to be more attached to LE extended his will over whoever is placed under it through some arbitrary means. It made Handmaid immortal but she actually needed immortality when rust bloods don't live very long.

That said she will probably be killed in the end for being lazy and using shortcuts, by the character who also loves taking incredibly complex shortcuts.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Yes, she will naturally live a long time, but I think it's worth putting out just how long she's already lived:

- Hundreds of years ruling Alternia
- Hundreds of years going back to Alternia at sub-light speeds after the Vast Glub
- ??? time spent going from the troll session to the kids' session
- Fifty years living on Earth
- ??? time spent going from B1 Earth to B2 earth
- Hundreds of years living on and eventually ruling Earth
- ??? time spent entering the session, presumably the slow way, since she took her battleship with her.

She has to be pushing her non-cursed limits.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder when Hussie will start updating again. Perhaps next week? OR EVEN THIS?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Oh look, a new comic starring fan-favorite trolls, Eridan and Gamzee. I cannot wait for what rollicking adventures are in store for us. :geno:

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Rorus Raz posted:

It was probably east to woo him with her nautical puns, and she probably wasn't married to him very long before he was killed by meteor babies. It's a pretty easy way to jumpstart your plans.

Although it does make me curious as to how he died in the post-scratch timeline. John had what, the jokebook with him on the meteorite? I wonder if that freaked out Sassacre and the witch just had to fork him.
Don't forget, this guy is post-scratch John.

And apparently his death involved "a tall bookshelf, a ladder, and a mysterious young woman in a suspicious looking hat."

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Oct 6, 2014

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Grouchio posted:

I wonder when Hussie will start updating again. Perhaps next week? OR EVEN THIS?

If I had to guess I would say 10/16, exactly one year since the pause started. So yeah, next week most likely. Better break out the ol' MSPA notifier.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Sooner or later. I'm stoked for the story to pick up again after that cliffhanger, after the inevitable moment with Caliborn

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Probably gonna start back up on 10/25 because of the whole numbers thing homestick has going on

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

WAR FOOT posted:

Oh look, a new comic starring fan-favorite trolls, Eridan and Gamzee. I cannot wait for what rollicking adventures are in store for us. :geno:

Eridan is pretty cool, and maybe it will be five pages of straight of him shooting Gamzee with his dumb laser gun, which would be pretty good.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
Homestuck is going to update again whoaaaa

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Gamzee might be a dislikable person, but he's still an interesting character. We still have no confirmation of what exactly are his motives, do we?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

paradoxGentleman posted:

what exactly are his motives

N/A

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

We still have no confirmation of what exactly are his motives, do we?

Being a lovely clown in all dimensions, I guess?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

paradoxGentleman posted:

Gamzee might be a dislikable person, but he's still an interesting character. We still have no confirmation of what exactly are his motives, do we?

I've come to really dislike how he's been characterized, actually, because he's been pulled all over the goddamn place. Just give me a consistent character, enough with this split between wacky Gamzee inexplicably popping up with Caliborn and serious Gamzee who actually has a coherent timeline.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

The Lord of Hats posted:

I've come to really dislike how he's been characterized, actually, because he's been pulled all over the goddamn place. Just give me a consistent character, enough with this split between wacky Gamzee inexplicably popping up with Caliborn and serious Gamzee who actually has a coherent timeline.

The fact that Hussie seems to be mocking us for the GALL to have a consistently lovely character and makes him more lovely to spite us makes things worse, I'd argue.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Don't forget that Gamzee has been under Aranea's mind control for an unspecified amount of time. Potentially two years of the three-year journey and, depending on if Gamzee has been doing any time-travel, maybe also while he's helping Caliborn. Let's break this down:

Gamzee and Terezi:
T-1) Gamzee is an rear end in a top hat. He had a black romance with Terezi that was abusive. When Aranea's mind-control faded, he 'woke up' just in time to see Terezi stabbing him and immediately started messing with her head, pretending to be 'nice' Gamzee for a moment, before going 'psych!' and then toying with her, violently.
T-2) Aranea has been mind-controlling Gamzee for a very long time. The lovely way he treated Terezi was Aranea's influence, because Aranea wanted to be 'right', and 'right' meant Terezi 'choosing' to heal her eyes. In this scenario, he 'woke up' just in time to see Terezi stabbing him, was honestly confused why she was doing that, and went into an unthinking RAGE in which he proceeds to torment Terezi. He may or may not feel bad about this if and when he calms down.

Gamzee and Caliborn:
C-1) Gamzee is an rear end in a top hat. He wants to help out Lord English in his rise to power, perhaps because of the whole 'Mirthful Messiah' thing, and is providing him with tools, resources, and advice.
C-2) Aranea has been mind-controlling Gamzee in order to... gosh, I have no idea why Aranea would want to help Lord English here.
C-3) Gamzee is secretly a 'good guy'. He's 'helping' Caliborn in his rise to power by giving him all kinds of shortcuts and helping hands, so that the finished Lord English is less good at doing things on his own and it's easier to pull the rug out from under him. Basically, planning a long-term sabotage.
C-4) Gamzee is an idiot. He wandered onto Caliborn's and Calliope's planet, helped raise them, and then just kept helping them / him without really ever considering what he was doing.

Most of the troll-prototyping seems to have happened before mind control (at the very least, the body hoarding), so we just directly blame that on Gamzee, I think.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Im mostly impressed that this thread didn't get closed during the pause, though we have PXS to thank for that mostly.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Paul.Power posted:

Don't forget, this guy is post-scratch John.

And apparently his death involved "a tall bookshelf, a ladder, and a mysterious young woman in a suspicious looking hat."

The "mysterious young woman" was Jane. She was literally in a suspicious-looking hat

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BrightWing posted:

Im mostly impressed that this thread didn't get closed during the pause, though we have PXS to thank for that mostly.

*Shhh* The mods don't realize we're still here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Gamzee is a joke character that has an extreme impact on the plot. Don't try to loving understand his character, the only trait he has is "be a lovely clown."