Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
The track SadioWitch bugs the poo poo out of me because it's basically the same riffs from Black Mass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

big scary monsters posted:

I'm listening to the new Yob album right now and it's pretty good.

I think The Unreal Never Lived is still their best though.

e: OK wait I was only partway through my first listen when I posted that. Marrow might be the best thing they've ever done.

I've already listened to it more than their last two albums put together. And I like Yob a lot. I still think Catharsis is my favourite when it comes to a well-rounded full album but this one is a contender.

Will get EW on soon I guess! I also can't say I'm super excited at the prospect any more, even seeing them live is the same. I do still go back to their first 3 though, I love 'em.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I like the new E Wiz album quite a lot, although my expectations were really low after I Am Nothing, so maybe I'm just pleasantly surprised. Will see how it holds up on future listens. I've only been half paying attention so far because I streamed it at work through 1 earphone.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I like it more after first listen than I liked Witchcult Today after first listen, although it doesn't have anything as good as Satanic Rites of Drugula. Definitely a step up from Black Masses.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Windhand have a new split out with Salem's Pot. Unsurprisingly, their track is fuzzy, massive, and awesome.

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/windhand-must-have-definitely-sold-their-souls-for-their-new-split

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Marrow is a loving amazing song for rainy night drives. And day drives. And walking. And all together. YOB is unreal.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I don't want to turn this into the Yob fan thread, but I've been trying to find Yoblike bands recently and the only one that comes close in feel for me is Ufomammut. They've got that big, relentless, threatening sound but with much sparser vocals and a bit more of a spacey feel. Any other suggestions?

e: Also I got round to watching that Slow Southern Steel documentary that someone posted before and it was pretty cool, thanks.

ee: Speaking of Ufomammut I was just checking their Facebook and they started recording for their next album last week, meant to come out next spring. Oro-Opus Secundum?

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 29, 2014

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ahhhhh now I gotta go listen to Eve

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

big scary monsters posted:

I don't want to turn this into the Yob fan thread, but I've been trying to find Yoblike bands recently and the only one that comes close in feel for me is Ufomammut. They've got that big, relentless, threatening sound but with much sparser vocals and a bit more of a spacey feel. Any other suggestions?

e: Also I got round to watching that Slow Southern Steel documentary that someone posted before and it was pretty cool, thanks.

ee: Speaking of Ufomammut I was just checking their Facebook and they started recording for their next album last week, meant to come out next spring. Oro-Opus Secundum?

As far as I've been able to tell there's not a whole lot out there that Yobs like Yob does. Mike's vocals are just so different from most things. I wouldn't say any of these are like Yob but they may be of interest to you:

UFOMAMMUT - as you have already pointed out.
VHÖL - Mike Scheidt only does vocals on this, it's kind of a metal/thrash thing. Definitely worth checking out.
Buried At Sea - really heavy and slow
Ahab - Not really the same genre as Yob it would seem but some really great atmospheric funeral doom. For me they scratch the same itch minus Mike's singing.
Monolord - Stoner doom new comer. It's a bit Sleepy.
Mars Red Sky - on the softer side of psychedelic stoner doom. Love the unique vocals.
Kamni - Russian psychedelic doom.
Conan - Super Heavy low tuned doom.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Cool, thank you. A few of those I know but definitely a bunch of new stuff to check out.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
The band where Mike Schedit was in after the break up of Yob sounds like their newer material.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_p5U4dWvoE

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

AstroWhale posted:

The band where Mike Schedit was in after the break up of Yob sounds like their newer material.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_p5U4dWvoE

Oh god thanks for the reminder, I hadn't heard this in so long. Sooo good.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
New Godflesh is literally crushing me right now.

http://www.npr.org/2014/09/28/350631204/first-listen-godflesh-a-world-lit-only-by-fire

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Similar to YOB and Ufomammut, check out ST:Erik.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
Snailking is straight up Yob worship. I think they only have one Demo out, but it's on Bandcamp or something.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Maybe it's just me but I get a Chris Isaak "Wicked Game" vibe from that last part in "Marrow" where there's the clean guitar and Mike kind of talking softly before it starts to build up again before the end. It kind of cracks me up.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Maybe it's just me but I get a Chris Isaak "Wicked Game" vibe from that last part in "Marrow" where there's the clean guitar and Mike kind of talking softly before it starts to build up again before the end. It kind of cracks me up.

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

Off to see Windhand/Beastwars tonight. This is my first doom show so I'm pretty pumped!

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Enjoy. Windhand are massive live.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
windhand was boring as gently caress live. it's the same song played at the same volume for 90 minutes. granted it's a pretty good song, but those guys are a 1 trick pony

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Dyna Soar posted:

windhand was boring as gently caress live. it's the same song played at the same volume for 90 minutes. granted it's a pretty good song, but those guys are a 1 trick pony

I don't think this thread is for you then

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Stravinsky posted:

I don't think this thread is for you then

check the op

anyway my point is that they're not a bad band, just not good enough for a 90 minute slots at roadurns main stage.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 2, 2014

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I guess I'll share my opinion then, that Windhand was absolutely killer live and I'll definitely be seeing them again next time they come through.

It was even worth sitting through the incredibly boring Jex Thoth set.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Windhand is one of like... two doom bands I've seen live (the other being Electric loving Wizard though) but I thought they were great fun live.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
don't get me started on electric wizard....

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I saw Electric Wizard once, it must have been around 2001-2005 in NC. There was like 20 people at the venue and it was pretty boring. I've never been a big fan. Funeralopolis is pretty cool though.

The time I saw Windhand they didn't play long enough, it was like a 30-40 minute set, maybe 4 songs.
But yeah they do kind of do one thing, but they do it pretty well. It pretty much sounds like their records. Vocals were solid.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I saw Electric Wizard once, it must have been around 2001-2005 in NC. There was like 20 people at the venue and it was pretty boring. I've never been a big fan. Funeralopolis is pretty cool though.

they had a good run, one good and four excellent albums in a row. then I guess jus just became the burned out junkie he'd been fantasizing about and started ripping himself instead of black sabbath

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

they had a good run, one good and four excellent albums in a row. then I guess jus just became the burned out junkie he'd been fantasizing about and started ripping himself instead of black sabbath

I don't agree with you much but this is truth.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mustard Snobbery posted:

Off to see Windhand/Beastwars tonight. This is my first doom show so I'm pretty pumped!

How was this? I'm seeing them next Friday. What were Beastwars like?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I've seen a lot of thread-appropriate bands live and Windhand is on my bucket list. They're quasi-local, though, so I keep skipping shows that I'd have to jump through hoops to go see.

PS Earth was awesome and Adrienne Davies is just as approachable and awesome as Dylan. We talked to her about slow drumming and she called it "underwater dancing" and then talked about Toad the Wet Sprocket.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

As far as I've been able to tell there's not a whole lot out there that Yobs like Yob does. Mike's vocals are just so different from most things. I wouldn't say any of these are like Yob but they may be of interest to you:

UFOMAMMUT - as you have already pointed out.
VHÖL - Mike Scheidt only does vocals on this, it's kind of a metal/thrash thing. Definitely worth checking out.
Buried At Sea - really heavy and slow
Ahab - Not really the same genre as Yob it would seem but some really great atmospheric funeral doom. For me they scratch the same itch minus Mike's singing.
Monolord - Stoner doom new comer. It's a bit Sleepy.
Mars Red Sky - on the softer side of psychedelic stoner doom. Love the unique vocals.
Kamni - Russian psychedelic doom.
Conan - Super Heavy low tuned doom.

Thanks for this.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I'm hesitant to bring these guys up because they are kind of borderline but I've just learned that the band Truly existed. They are a 90's grunge-era band that never really caught the spot light like their contemporaries.

I would describe them as psychedelic grungy stoner rock. They are heavy dark and catchy. Here's a review that I like:
"If you were take R.E.M., place them in a room along with Nirvana and Soundgarden (Superunknown era), and then pump them full of LSD and Blotter acid, and finally have them collaborate on an album, this is what would result. A calming, epic, and surreal blend of grunge and original psychedelic rock that takes it's sounds from the 13th Floor Elevators and Jefferson Airplane, Fast Stories... From Kid Coma is in itself is a underapreciated classic of modern psychedelic rock, painfully and sadly ignored by the world."

Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arwW0bWIXUI
Here's a good song to start with: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOqecVXdbbQ&index=12&list=PL35AE5F0B327C1F87

Love the guitars on this album.

casual poster posted:

Thanks for this.

Thanks be to this thread and all it's posters. Amen. :pray:

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Oct 4, 2014

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
https://interarma.bandcamp.com/

Oh dear god YES. Inter Arma is putting out a new album in a couple weeks, and it's a 40 minute long one-track album called 'The Cavern'.

If you never checked out their previous album 'Sky Burial', you need to rectify that immediately.

Bonk fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 4, 2014

Roger Troutman
Jan 11, 2007

What I do is sometimes get a tin of soup, heat it up, poach an egg in it, serve that with a pork pie sausage roll.
Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats tonight. Boss.

That Truly stuff is great. I always wondered what happened to Hiro post-Soundgarden.

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

A human heart posted:

How was this? I'm seeing them next Friday. What were Beastwars like?
It was fantastic. Granted, this was more first exposure to this type of music live so I have not much to compare it too, but it was everything I'd hoped it be. Heavy as gently caress and Windhand played my 2 favorite songs (Woodbine and Winter Sun for those interested). Beastwars were great too, a lot of energy from the front man and came out the front for a smoke afterwards and had a bit of a chat with a few people. Well worth the money and the trip down.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Bonk posted:

Oh dear god YES. Inter Arma is putting out a new album in a couple weeks, and it's a 40 minute long one-track album called 'The Cavern'.

If you never checked out their previous album 'Sky Burial', you need to rectify that immediately.

I had no idea they were working on a new one. I loved Sky Burial so I'm definitely looking forward to this.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Bonk posted:

Oh lord, thank you for this heads up. Sky Burial is so insanely good.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Anybody have any recommendations for doom poo poo that incorporates the rhodes or whatever a keyboardist in a cool way? I hear the rhodes is kind of common in doom but I don't think I've ever really heard/noticed much of that action. My knowledge of the genre really only consists of what I assume are basically the casual pothead staples(satan worshipping doom, dopesmoker, belzebong etc).

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Does anyone in this thread have a copy of Witchcult Today and a scanner? I'd like to grab some high-res art for shirt making times like it's high school again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

Anybody have any recommendations for doom poo poo that incorporates the rhodes or whatever a keyboardist in a cool way? I hear the rhodes is kind of common in doom but I don't think I've ever really heard/noticed much of that action. My knowledge of the genre really only consists of what I assume are basically the casual pothead staples(satan worshipping doom, dopesmoker, belzebong etc).

Here's one suggestion: Ancestors - Mother Animal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4-_UgazNVQ
Ancestors - Neptune with Fire: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH-FY57ATuo

Edit: Also check out this song from that Truly album I mentioned previously in this page. It's not quite doom but it's a bit dark and has some keyboard/organ that fundamentally drives the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVeoOeq-npY&list=PL35AE5F0B327C1F87&index=8

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 5, 2014