Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Planeswalker Ramirez DePietro or no buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing

Veyrall posted:

Actually, was Yawgmoth himself super-powerful, or was it just his army?

If I remember correctly just his appearance on Dominaria instantly drained the life from the nearby Coalition armies and resurrected them as zombies.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

sarmhan posted:

Planeswalker Ramirez DePietro or no buy.

Multicolored! However, there is still room for Chandler, Smug Planeswalker.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.
I ended up buying a box instead of getting some singles for a deck I was unsure about, and ended up having a blast after putting up an event on the facebook group for our LGS' page! I asked if anyone was wanting to do a Phantom Draft (i.e. free to enter but I keep my cards) and we got enough for a full 8 people within the space of about 2 hours.

My own draft went pretty badly but I had a lot of fun doing it (I managed to win one game with Dead Drop somehow on a Siege Rhino and Necropolis Fiend)), and people were making some pretty good noises on their pack openings. Highlight pulls ended up including:
  • 2x Sarkhan
  • 1x Sorin
  • 2x Polluted Delta
  • 1x Flooded Strand
  • 4x Monastery Swiftspear for Subsligh
  • 1x Sidisi

Was this an okay box opening? Lots of other semi-decent to good rares also, and most importantly a foil Mountain and Plains.

EDIT:

Other rares were:
  • 1x Rattleclaw Mystic
  • 1x Thousand Winds
  • 3x Icy Blast
  • 2x Savage Knuckleblade
  • 1x Sagu Mauler
  • 2x Ankle Shanker (1 foil)
  • 1x Rakshasa Deathdealer
  • 1x Mardu Ascendancy
  • 1x Duneblast
  • 1x Abzan Ascendancy
  • 2x Jeering Instigator (1 foil)
  • 2x Deflecting Palm
  • 1x Utter End
  • 2x Crackling Doom
  • 1x Jeskai Ascendancy
  • 1x Sage of the Inward Eye
  • 1x Howl of the Horde
  • 1x Crater's Claws
  • 1x End Hostilities
  • 1x Dig Through Time

I think that's all of them, might be a couple missing but nothing as attention-piquing as PWs or Fetches.

The Wicked Wall fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 3, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

The Wicked Wall posted:

I ended up buying a box instead of getting some singles for a deck I was unsure about, and ended up having a blast after putting up an event on the facebook group for our LGS' page! I asked if anyone was wanting to do a Phantom Draft (i.e. free to enter but I keep my cards) and we got enough for a full 8 people within the space of about 2 hours.

My own draft went pretty badly but I had a lot of fun doing it (I managed to win one game with Dead Drop somehow on a Siege Rhino and Necropolis Fiend)), and people were making some pretty good noises on their pack openings. Highlight pulls ended up including:
  • 2x Sarkhan
  • 1x Sorin
  • 2x Polluted Delta
  • 1x Flooded Strand
  • 4x Monastery Swiftspear for Subsligh
  • 1x Sidisi

Was this an okay box opening? Lots of other semi-decent to good rares also, and most importantly a foil Mountain and Plains.
List the other rares, the fetches and 3 PWs were good, but what else was in the haul? Seige Rhino was a good opening imo.
E: Also sell those foil Treasure Cruises and Swiftspears if you have any.

neetengie fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 3, 2014

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001

Emerson Cod posted:

Let me know - I'm practicing for my level 1 test and these weird corner cases are great learning tools.
101.4a doesn't apply, since it's dealing with each player choosing, not A player choosing.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

LordSaturn posted:

4x Mountain -> Desperate Ritual -> Through the Breach?
t1: mountain, suspend Shivan Sand-Mage
t2: island, Jhoira's Timebug
t3: land, Jhoira
t4: land, suspend Emrakul, pop counter off SSM with bug. SSM comes in and eats 2 counters off Big E, then play Fury Charm to eat the other 2.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
What are the differences between "Khans Friendly Prerelease" and "Khans Competitive Prerelease" online? They cost the same and MODO has nothing for prize structure for either. Is competitive elimination?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Terrible Horse posted:

What are the differences between "Khans Friendly Prerelease" and "Khans Competitive Prerelease" online? They cost the same and MODO has nothing for prize structure for either. Is competitive elimination?

The payout in the Competitive one is a lot more weighted towards people with high finishes. The payout overall is the same, its just more spread out among participants in a Friendly.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Terrible Horse posted:

I asked the same question and Mike Turian gave me this answer:

quote:

The two events award the same number of packs. The only difference in prizes is that the Competitive Events also award 1 QP to the 4-0.

As the event is 4 rounds Swiss with 16-players, after 4 rounds there will be 1 4-0, 4 3-1, 6 2-2, 4 1-3 and 1 0-4 in each event.

Looking at the prize breakdowns of the events:
Friendly Event:
1 player 4-0 gets 5 packs = 5 packs, 4 players 3-1 get 3 packs = 12 packs, 6 players 2-2 get 2 packs = 12 packs, 4 players 1-3 get 2 packs = 8 packs,
Total packs for prizes = 5+12+12+8 = 37 packs
Competitive Event:
1 player 4-0 gets 11 packs = 11 packs +1 QP, 4 players 3-1 get 5 packs = 20 packs, 6 players 2-2 get 1 packs = 6 packs,
Total packs for prizes = 11+20+6 = 37 packs and 1 QP

We tried to set these events up so players would choose the event that was right for them without having to worry about which one awarded more packs.

Source for the KTK MTGO Prerelease article: http://magic.wizards.com/en/MTGO/articles/archive/khans-tarkir-prerelease-and-release-events-2014-09-15
Source for record calculator with 16 players: http://swisstriangle.net/

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Yawgmoth posted:

t1: mountain, suspend Shivan Sand-Mage
t2: island, Jhoira's Timebug
t3: land, Jhoira
t4: land, suspend Emrakul, pop counter off SSM with bug. SSM comes in and eats 2 counters off Big E, then play Fury Charm to eat the other 2.

So what happens if your Sand Mage gets countered?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Pyronic posted:

I asked the same question and Mike Turian gave me this answer:

Do they send the guy with the 0-4 a letter with a huge middle-finger on it?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Made it early to my fnm and thought I would trade a little. When you ask you people what they are looking for its basically all the same. Thoughtseize, sarkhan, downfall and all the usual expensive suspects. What shocks me is how often it follows up with "I don't have much with me" and trade binders full of bulks rares and other assorted trash. I guess I admire their boldness, but I can't help to think of the people who get ripped off constantly.

whateverfor
Jul 23, 2007
fuck you sped

Angry Grimace posted:

Do they send the guy with the 0-4 a letter with a huge middle-finger on it?

The 0-4 guy is basically always someone who dropped.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I have a free Modern tournament in town tomorrow and the winner gets a box. What should I take? My choices are-
Goblins
Esper Mill
MonoU Tron
I'm leaning towards Mill since I 3-0'd the last weekly Modern night I piloted it in, but Tron is probably the "best" deck of the three though I don't have much practice with it. And Goblins is so much fun and can take people by surprise. I'm not super familiar with the meta though I've seen Junk, Jund, UG Infect, and GW Auras in recent months.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I got to live the dream tonight:

First pack of my sealed pool in the "Foiled Again" event tonight at GP Orlando. Sadly my White was REALLY weak except for a Siege Rhino, but my Sultai was epic, so I went BUG with a splash of white for double Sorin and a removal spell. Went pretty well, but I didn't play the final round (hadn't eaten all day, wanted to go eat and relax at my hotel).

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Does nix counter spells that are forked, twincasted, storm triggered, etc?

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Fish Of Doom posted:

Couldn't have been worse than my prerelease. Trail of Mystery, Altar of the Brood, Abzan Ascendency, 2 Sultai Ascendencies, and Dragon Throne.

I'll take that on. I got a Mardu pack (random draw for clans at my store) with the following rares: End Hostilities (not enough white support, though), Abzan Ascendancy, Ivorytusk Fortress, TWO Dragon Thrones, and Surrak Dragonclaw (promo). The last one there I did run in the deck, but never once drew him through four rounds. Still, my deck was decent enough to go 2-0-1 in the first three rounds, so I was playing for packs and a high finish in round 4, but got absolutely ruined by a great Abzan outlast/counterlords deck that I had observed next to me earlier and knew I didn't have a prayer against. Still had fun, which is the point of the prerelease anyway.

Edit: not Mardu, Temur.

Sarcastro fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 4, 2014

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I got to live the dream tonight:

First pack of my sealed pool in the "Foiled Again" event tonight at GP Orlando. Sadly my White was REALLY weak except for a Siege Rhino, but my Sultai was epic, so I went BUG with a splash of white for double Sorin and a removal spell. Went pretty well, but I didn't play the final round (hadn't eaten all day, wanted to go eat and relax at my hotel).

Two sorins and a siege rhino means your white was great. Bombs for sure.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Molybdenum posted:

Does nix counter spells that are forked, twincasted, storm triggered, etc?
I think so, the copy of the spell at least.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

C-Euro posted:

I have a free Modern tournament in town tomorrow and the winner gets a box. What should I take? My choices are-
Goblins
Esper Mill
MonoU Tron
I'm leaning towards Mill since I 3-0'd the last weekly Modern night I piloted it in, but Tron is probably the "best" deck of the three though I don't have much practice with it. And Goblins is so much fun and can take people by surprise. I'm not super familiar with the meta though I've seen Junk, Jund, UG Infect, and GW Auras in recent months.

Esper mill. More fetch lands in more places.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The Khans Prerelease stuff is now available on Magic Online, and I'm having fun with my Sultai pool. Running no rares other than Flooded Strands, mostly sitting back drawing cards and just trading constantly for card advantage.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Ive been streaming my Khans prerelease running Jeskai, had a pretty decent deck, just got BLOWN OUT in round 3 by a sick abzan deck with Incremental Growth and See the Unwritten.

Streaming my tears and R4 soon at http://twitch.tv/pyronicex

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Kasonic posted:

If I remember correctly just his appearance on Dominaria instantly drained the life from the nearby Coalition armies and resurrected them as zombies.
Now we need Chocorojo to clear this up.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Sub-Sligh is hustling my FNM. If I win, it will make up for the box of JOU I had to buy to get a playset of Satyr Hoplites :downs:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Took Sub-Sligh (Or "Rabblemaster's too slow, man") to FNM tonight, went 2-2, both losses were in game 3, so it wasn't too bad. Got a turn 4 kill. Got to play against somone whose win condition was Generator Servant into a hasty Dragon Style Twins + GET HUGE for 20 out of nowhere (Rolled him).

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Played a modified version of the Jeskai temp deck tonight. Went 4/0 while playing the most fun night of FNM ever. All 4 opponents played actually noteworthy decks and I felt that I had to make decisions that could win or lose the game fairly often.

1st: Jeskai Ascendancy combo deck. He was running the mill version and actually went off turn 4 in game two. The other two games I was on the play and won in my turn 4 with pretty great hands.

2nd: Mardu Aggro: I actually didn't know it was mardu aggro game one and treated it like a mardu midrange and won the slow way. Game two I was not prepared and he crushed me. Game three I drew plenty of hate and won a nail biter. I didn't really think this deck was legit until tonight.

3rd: Mardu Midrange: Didn't have excellent hand all 3 games and mulled 2 of them. Still won 2 out of 3 by a race to the finish. Disdainful stroke mvp.

4th: Mardu Midrange: Mulled game 2 and lost to a stormbreathe monsterize with a untapped land off the top with lethal in my hand. Both game 1 and 3 were close otherwise.

Things I learned.

Crackling Doom is legit. Better than downfall in a lot of situations. Lost and rabble and a sarkhan with 1 loyalty counter to a single doom.

Green can go gently caress itself. Not only does majority of the field play it but the first round had almost a third of the field going past time in green vs green games of chicken. Board states that look like goldfish and nissas everywhere. Boring as gently caress.

Poor mono black aggro. In 156 player there were 2.

Red sligh numbers are starting to grow. Saw an 11 year old pilot it to top 8. He was a rude little poo poo.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It really seems like it's time for an End Hostilies deck to come in and roll all the 30+ creature green decks.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
Triple Land Treasure Cruise. That was a beating, but I really enjoyed the stream.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Ended up going 1-3 thanks to two treasure cruises in a row drawing 3 land when I needed basically anything else in my deck

here's my deck/pool

of my 5 rares I only had 1 usable, the jeering instigator.

I thought about making either a temur or sultai deck but the green wasn't any good, and black was mediocre.

the One change i'd probably have made is swapping jeskai elder out for the abzan falconer, although I only drew and played the elder once or twice I think, so it might not have made any difference.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

FNM:
Went 2-2-1. I think I would have won the draw but I was pretty tired.

In the Abzan Midrange build Courser underperformed in my opinion as did Elspeth. I might take Elspeth out to run more Wingmate Rocs and maybe even go with a full set of Sorin. 4 Hero's Downfall seems like the right number from my experience.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene
Went 4-1 playing a slightly modified version of the RW Control deck. Really, really fun games, only match I lost was to a UW Heroic deck where I started and died with two lands, twice.

Some thoughts:
  • Chandra is way better than I gave her credit for. She's pretty easy to keep protected with this deck and generates massive card advantage with her zero.
  • Fated Conflagration is surprisingly good: hits almost everything and gets you a Scry 2 on top.
  • Don't keep hands with Chained to the Rocks and no Mountains against aggro decks unless you like sadness.
  • Elspeth still wins games.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Swept FNM draft (not really interesting, I opened a Ghostfire Blade and then just drafted all the best morphs regardless of color plus fixing) then came home and did a prerelease on mtgo and went 0-2 drop (one guy had high sentinels of arashin out on curve all 3 games, the other I just didn't draw any of my 10 black sources twice) because I had forgotten how unbelievably infuriating the glacial pace of every fucker who plays online is. While it is an available resource the game is not in fact challenging you to end the match with the least amount of time on the clock possible while pondering the incredibly complicated issue whether to use your savage punch (the only card in your hand) on the only legal target on the board to swing for lethal you ridiculously rude slowrolling motherfuckers.

e: I think it is mostly just the unavoidable variance of sealed is completely miserable when it doesn't work out and you have to lose very slowly. At least when I gently caress up a draft I can look at what I did wrong.

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 4, 2014

AzureKing
Nov 2, 2012

One day I shall return to your side.
I went 0-4 tonight after some disastrous hands and misplays. However the night was salvaged when I bought two packs and immediately opened Sarkhan and Sorin.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Went completely undefeated 4-0 in the Khans competitive prerelease sealed on MTGO. Only rare I ran was a Flooded Strand for Delve value:

Gameplan was just TRADE TRADE TRADE early on, then just delve that poo poo out to the many evasive fatties. Had a fun game where my opponent managed to get 4 Snowhorn Riders out early on a stalled board, where he ultimately lost to milling themselves. And then the next game I got to hardcast Dead Drop on them from the sideboard. Treasure Cruise is the most satisfying card to cast. Abomination of Gudul is a goddamn absurd common.

Format is super fun, 10/10 would hang with debauched snakemen again

Zorak fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Oct 4, 2014

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
nice, wish my games went that smoothly.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

UberJew posted:

I had forgotten how unbelievably infuriating the glacial pace of every fucker who plays online is. While it is an available resource the game is not in fact challenging you to end the match with the least amount of time on the clock possible while pondering the incredibly complicated issue whether to use your savage punch (the only card in your hand) on the only legal target on the board to swing for lethal you ridiculously rude slowrolling motherfuckers.
I thought this was because every single person on MODO is multi-queueing, so that they can suck at multiple card games at once.

I have only played MODO once, but I was called a "luck-sack" twice in a half-hour period for holding a kill spell while my opponent was slow-playing their way to a 0-2 waste of tickets.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Veyrall posted:

I thought this was because every single person on MODO is multi-queueing, so that they can suck at multiple card games at once.

I have only played MODO once, but I was called a "luck-sack" twice in a half-hour period for holding a kill spell while my opponent was slow-playing their way to a 0-2 waste of tickets.

This post is MODO, distilled down to its purest essence.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Got 4-1, ranked second; first went to a dude running a tough-as-nails red deck (Sarkhan is less of a pain in the rear end than Chandra) that splashed white for Deflecting Palm, because holy poo poo that card. Would have taken first if I hadn't gotten cocky in one game and let my opponent try and burn out my Swiftspear before I triggered Prowess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Went 4-1 playing Mardu Midrange. Only loss was to a Sultai deck playing Prophet of Kruphix and ALL THE GENESIS HYDRAS.

Prizing was only 5 packs but 4 of them were fetchlands! Can't complain.

• Locked thread