Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

SRM posted:

Well so far I've seen "Leon's head is brutally chainsawed off" and "Leon lamely falls over when someone throws a pickaxe at his ankle"

You missed the best one: Leon gets his face melted off by acid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingsPawn
May 23, 2006
E4!
I went back and played RE4 and boy I totally forgot about all the QTEs and the Krauser fight. The Krauser fight with the QTE was loving stupid and I seriously hoped they fixed that in the next series. I still have 5 and 6 to play but they both seem like fun.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

KingsPawn posted:

I went back and played RE4 and boy I totally forgot about all the QTEs and the Krauser fight. The Krauser fight with the QTE was loving stupid and I seriously hoped they fixed that in the next series. I still have 5 and 6 to play but they both seem like fun.

5 is actually a pretty awesome co-op experience and 6 is... eh. I only had fun in the Leon campaign; Everything else either was boring poo poo or wasn't Resident Evil. But that's just my opinion.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Well, in Resident Evil 6 they patched in an option that just lets you skip QTEs altogether. I haven't experimented with it. I think that's really cool of Capcom though

Speaking of which, add me for Resident Evil 6 playing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/solidsnakesbandana/

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike

SRM posted:

Well so far I've seen "Leon's head is brutally chainsawed off" and "Leon lamely falls over when someone throws a pickaxe at his ankle"

Resident Evil 6 has the classic "Leon fails at life and gets pushed into a meat grinder" :stare:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Revelations on Normal isn't too tough but Revelations on Infernal is a loving nightmare. "Bullet-sponge" doesn't even begin to describe the final boss. Maximum magnum ammo, each shot using Charge Shot 5. Still standing. :catstare:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

blackguy32 posted:

This was a favorite of mine as well.

SRM posted:

The death animations really are impressive for the time. The ones involving the lake monster are pretty brutal, they're pretty brutal all around.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 1, 2014

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Well we can add "get choked out by the Big Cheese during a cutscene" and "Ashley gets blown up like 4 times" to that list :shepicide:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

mirarant posted:

I do this exact same thing every time I play mercs.

Vindication!

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!

blackguy32 posted:

Wait are you serious? How could you get killed by acid? I've played the game a few times and I never remember dying like that, or even fighting an enemy with acid attacks.

Also I was really bummed when the chainsaw death animations were censored in every game after 4. Resident Evil 4's chainsaw death animation is still one of the most brutal things I've seen in a game, or at least it was for the time.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SpaceBees posted:

Wait are you serious? How could you killed by acid? I've played the game a few times and I never remember dying like that.

I think they're referring to letting the invisible bug creatures Novistadors (I only remember the name because it was obvious they wanted to use invisible but that word is almost identical so they went with bastard Spanish for "no see" to make it sound more foreign) kill you via their acid spit grab attack.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!

Barudak posted:

I think they're referring to letting the invisible bug creatures Novistadors (I only remember the name because it was obvious they wanted to use invisible but that word is almost identical so they went with bastard Spanish for "no see" to make it sound more foreign) kill you via their acid spit grab attack.

Oh yeah I remember those guys, you fight a ton of them in the sewer area. They weren't really that tough so I must have never got killed by one. I kind of want to replay the game and let myself just get killed by stuff just to see the death animations. I remember doing that for Dead Space at one point.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

SpaceBees posted:

Wait are you serious? How could you get killed by acid? I've played the game a few times and I never remember dying like that, or even fighting an enemy with acid attacks.

There were flying enemies that would grab your face and spray acid on it, if you gave them long enough. Leon would fall over and his face would start melting and he'd die. Can't remember if it was an instakill move or if they'd only do it when you were on really low health, though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SpaceBees posted:

Oh yeah I remember those guys, you fight a ton of them in the sewer area. They weren't really that tough so I must have never got killed by one. I kind of want to replay the game and let myself just get killed by stuff just to see the death animations. I remember doing that for Dead Space at one point.

They're pathetically easy, drop tons of cash, are only in two areas, and if I remember right you have to be low on health for it to trigger or they just kick off you during the grab so its not something a lot of players saw.

Blowing up their nest and drowning in loot always felt great though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

smenj posted:

There were flying enemies that would grab your face and spray acid on it, if you gave them long enough. Leon would fall over and his face would start melting and he'd die. Can't remember if it was an instakill move or if they'd only do it when you were on really low health, though.

It actually didn't do too much damage but if it killed you you got the unique death.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBcad86X9dw#t=3m16s

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
The best death in RE4 is U-3 cutting Leon in half, just because it's so unceremonious. On Pro Mode, if you get hit by U-3's pincer with pretty much anything less than full health, Leon says goodbye to his legs.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

SpaceBees posted:

Also I was really bummed when the chainsaw death animations were censored in every game after 4. Resident Evil 4's chainsaw death animation is still one of the most brutal things I've seen in a game, or at least it was for the time.

I'm still surprised that RE4 got a BBFC 15 rating in the UK, compared to RE5's 18 rating. RE4's death animations are way more brutal.

:nms::nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naEXmn_Bw78:nws::nms:

Convex fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Oct 1, 2014

skull wall
Jul 29, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Well, in Resident Evil 6 they patched in an option that just lets you skip QTEs altogether. I haven't experimented with it. I think that's really cool of Capcom though

Holy poo poo I didn't know about this, I never finished all the RE6 stories but the worst part about them was the retarded amount of QTE's.

Rahzmataz
Apr 29, 2013
Does anyone know of the PS1 version of Resi 2 is any good on the Vita? I'm very aware that some games suffer from a lack of L2 and R2 buttons, and it's been so long since i've played it that I can't remember. I don't want to buy and download it, only to find that it's borderline unplayable is all.

Edit: I type good.

Rahzmataz fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Oct 1, 2014

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
RE2 doesn't use the second shoulder buttons at all, so you should be fine.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuzTlYp2X3M

huge armed RE5 chris in the house! lock up your boulders!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Imagine how piss-easy REmake would be if you were Chris from RE5. Suplex the Tyrant.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Seejay posted:

Does anyone know of the PS1 version of Resi 2 is any good on the Vita? I'm very aware that some games suffer from a lack of L2 and R2 buttons, and it's been so long since i've played it that I can't remember. I don't want to buy and download it, only to find that it's borderline unplayable is all.

Edit: I type good.

I played it on the psp and it was fine. It was just like playing the pc version back in the day.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Imagine how piss-easy REmake would be if you were Chris from RE5. Suplex the Tyrant.

I'm surprised they haven't done something like this yet -- a Mercenaries DLC pack that allows you to 'play' through all of RE1, only RE4/5/6 style, so you're going full gattle and boulder-fist on every weak rear end zombie, kicking down every locked door, just bullrushing from the start to the labs in under 5 minutes.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike

Black August posted:

I'm surprised they haven't done something like this yet -- a Mercenaries DLC pack that allows you to 'play' through all of RE1, only RE4/5/6 style, so you're going full gattle and boulder-fist on every weak rear end zombie, kicking down every locked door, just bullrushing from the start to the labs in under 5 minutes.

I'd love to see an updated Operation Mad Jackal.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITGNvv6r7G8

looks pretty good! not sure why ign bothered to compare the FMV bits though but skip to 1:20ish

Renzian
Oct 25, 2003
REDTEXTING IS SERIOUS BUSINESS YOU GUYS.

SERIOUS.
BUSINESS.
EDIT: This post was me excitedly informing the thread about the REmake HD remake/remastering/whatever, but that was announced and discussed two months ago I realized after posting. My bad, disregard this post.

Renzian fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 3, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Deaderinred posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITGNvv6r7G8

looks pretty good! not sure why ign bothered to compare the FMV bits though but skip to 1:20ish

Probably because whatever video compression they used to fit it on the GC discs made it look like rear end.

That actually looks surprisingly good and I'd forgotten how bad the original game's graphics actually were.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Barudak posted:

It's kind of weird that they went with that name anyway since you only fight the ones that can cloak a single time, and you'll probably kill more of the flying ones which don't have that gimmick.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Man, I have a decent PC, but for some reason RE4 HD runs like poo poo. I have to set it to 30FPS lock or I get super slowdown.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Anonymous Robot posted:

Man, I have a decent PC, but for some reason RE4 HD runs like poo poo. I have to set it to 30FPS lock or I get super slowdown.

I just put together a really kickass PC and it's been running smooth as butter, until today. I was doing the shooting gallery and a bunch of doves started flying out and my game slowed to a crawl before jumping back up to a smooth framerate. They just looked like animated textures and not 3D models so I don't know what the gently caress.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Man it's really funny to think of these martial arts superhumans once upon a time having trouble with a few shambling corpses or being scared of zombie dogs. They must look back at those days and laugh so hard.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Lotish posted:

Man it's really funny to think of these martial arts superhumans once upon a time having trouble with a few shambling corpses or being scared of zombie dogs. They must look back at those days and laugh so hard.

It's just heavy drinking and "remember when it was only loving zombies and zombie dogs and like 12 mutant bullshit things..."

I'd play the gently caress out of a Poker Night at the Inventory style poker game starring Chris, Jill, Leon, and Wesker. Add Claire as DLC after Revelations 2 being really pissed off at being pulled into all this bullshit after 15 years.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 4, 2014

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I've been playing a lot of Resident Evil 2 again. There's bullshit rookie arrange mode where you start out with infinite ammo, easy, and normal mode.

Is there anyway to unlock a hard mode, or an arrange game mode without infinite ammo weapons? I can just not use the stuff you start out with, but the question still stands.

E: I think the REmake spoiled me with the unlockable hard mode, One Dangerous Zombie, and invisible enemies.

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 4, 2014

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
You have to buy the Dreamcast version. (Possibly the PC version as well.) That one has Nightmare Mode. I'm not sure if there are other differences besides that but basically enemies are a lot faster, take more hits and deal more damage...there might be more of them too, I don't know.

The N64 version has a mode where all the ammunition pickups and such get randomized.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

I think the game only likes running at 30 or 60fps. So if you're running it on 60fps mode and not quite getting 60, it runs like crap. Unless of course you mean that your PC should be able to more than handle it at 60fps, in which case I don't know what to tell you.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Sakurazuka posted:

That actually looks surprisingly good and I'd forgotten how bad the original game's graphics actually were.

Really? Because i look at that gamecube footage and am blown away by how good it looks for a game from that generation.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah REmake was one of the best looking games period when it came out.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kin posted:

Really? Because i look at that gamecube footage and am blown away by how good it looks for a game from that generation.

Oh yeah, they looked amazing at the time, I was just shocked at how they'd aged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Why are they remastering the first one again, and not the second one?