Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I just bought ePSXe before I saw the OP's recommendation to use FPse for PS1 emulation.

Is there a big difference? I don't mind buying another if it is better. Meanwhile, the 10 mins of Final Fantasy Tactics I played in ePSXe ran just fine - far better performance than PPSSPP on my Nexus 7. (Is that expected?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I just bought ePSXe before I saw the OP's recommendation to use FPse for PS1 emulation.

Is there a big difference? I don't mind buying another if it is better. Meanwhile, the 10 mins of Final Fantasy Tactics I played in ePSXe ran just fine - far better performance than PPSSPP on my Nexus 7. (Is that expected?)

I've never had any serious problems with ePSXe. I think I had to put my Moga Pro controller in B mode for it to recognize it, but that's about it. I got Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 and other actiony games to work with no slowdown on my 1.6 ghz TF700 tablet. PPSSPP is definitely the least optimized emulator I've tried, although it's gotten better in the last year with patches.

It's very expensive for an emulator (and an app in general,) but I couldn't recommend DraStic for DS highly enough. I went back and forth between my tablet and my DS XL on a few games, and I actually found the experience on my tablet using my finger for the bottom screen to be the better playing experience on touch-heavy games like Picross.

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Oct 1, 2014

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

The OP is truly ancient so I wouldn't worry about it.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Randallteal posted:

It's very expensive for an emulator (and an app in general,) but I couldn't recommend DraStic for DS highly enough. I went back and forth between my tablet and my DS XL on a few games, and I actually found the experience on my tablet using my finger for the bottom screen to be the better playing experience on touch-heavy games like Picross.

Will it play 3DS games as well? Or just DS games?

I have a 3DS gathering dust because I hate carrying around another device. Would be so much better if I could just play it all on my phone. I understand the 3D aspects won't work.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Drastic is a DS emulator.

I'm not aware of a good 3DS emulator on android.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

There are no working 3DS emulators, period. It'll probably be quite a while before we see any working ones.

The Yellow Ant
Apr 6, 2004

I can lift 50 times my own weight in hope.

Pudding Huxtable posted:

Also on the subject of controllers, anybody got any experience with this bad boy? It looks like it'd be perfect for my Nexus 7 (2013), ESPECIALLY with DraStic in vertical mode.
:getin:
So I picked one of these up because it looks badass, and I've been wanting to add controls to my Nexus 7 for a while. Setup is easy with Super GNES, although there is just enough input lag to be really annoying. Also, the sides don't close enough to grip the tablet in portrait mode, so the tablet just sits on the flip out tab at the bottom. It seems reasonably stable but it would tip out if you tilted the whole thing at a steep angle.

I can't figure out how to get it to work with touch games like Temple Run our Burnout Overdrive though, does anyone know how? Do I need another app to simulate touch events?

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
My Ipega has a mode where you can setup hotshots, but you have to use their bizarre, untranslated, Chinese app. Even then, I haven't actually tried it.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

The Yellow Ant posted:

So I picked one of these up because it looks badass, and I've been wanting to add controls to my Nexus 7 for a while. Setup is easy with Super GNES, although there is just enough input lag to be really annoying. Also, the sides don't close enough to grip the tablet in portrait mode, so the tablet just sits on the flip out tab at the bottom. It seems reasonably stable but it would tip out if you tilted the whole thing at a steep angle.

Agh well that's lame. Like how much space is there? You think that putting on a grip case like this for example would give enough width to help it stay?

The Yellow Ant
Apr 6, 2004

Pudding Huxtable posted:

Agh well that's lame. Like how much space is there? You think that putting on a grip case like this for example would give enough width to help it stay?
About a quarter of an inch, I'd say. There are slots on the inside edge of the handles that have only a tiny amount of clearance, so a case would prevent the tablet from fitting. The right side of the handle is adjustable with a lock to keep it at a certain size, while the left side has a spring tensioner. If you got a case that was wide enough the pinching force might be enough to keep it in there, even it the case was too thick to fit inside the slot.

The lag is annoying enough that I don't even want to play Super Mario World. A player's reflexes might adapt after a while, but :effort:

That being said, it stays in there pretty well up to vertical, and as far forward as 45 degrees tilted down. If you're just sitting down while playing it, the tablet would probably not fall out.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Yellow Ant fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 2, 2014

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
Thanks for the info. As far as lag goes, have you tried other emus like Snes9x? Hopefully its a per app issue and not the controller itself.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Does the Hungry Cat Picross game posted earlier loving devour battery life for anyone else?

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 2, 2014

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Try SNES9x then RetroArch in that order.

The Yellow Ant
Apr 6, 2004

SNES9x is noticeably more responsive, thank you very much! I still feel like there is input lag, but Super Mario World is playable. There is definitely more lag than say, with a wireless Xbox 360 controller via an OTG USB cable, which I also tested. With the wireless 360 controller it feels pretty much like my childhood reflexes tells me it should, but the iPega feels mushy.

Someone needs to make this iPega Extending Game Controller, but with a little wired USB connection instead of Bluetooth. Other than the mushy input lag, the actual hardware (buttons and d-pad and sticks) feels great.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

The Yellow Ant posted:

SNES9x is noticeably more responsive, thank you very much! I still feel like there is input lag, but Super Mario World is playable. There is definitely more lag than say, with a wireless Xbox 360 controller via an OTG USB cable, which I also tested. With the wireless 360 controller it feels pretty much like my childhood reflexes tells me it should, but the iPega feels mushy.

Someone needs to make this iPega Extending Game Controller, but with a little wired USB connection instead of Bluetooth. Other than the mushy input lag, the actual hardware (buttons and d-pad and sticks) feels great.

Unfortunately, it sounds like your iPega is a POS. I think even MOGA stuff is faster.

The Yellow Ant
Apr 6, 2004

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Unfortunately, it sounds like your iPega is a POS. I think even MOGA stuff is faster.

Could be. FWIW, I thought the Wii remote felt mushy too, back when those still connected to Android.

Someday when I'm feeling bored I'll bust out a slo-mo camera and get :science: on this bitch.

The Yellow Ant fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 2, 2014

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Does the Hungry Cat Picross game posted earlier loving devour battery life for anyone else?

Yeah, kinda. But pretty much any game does that for me.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Ironclad Tactics is just released on Android:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zachtronics.ironcladtactics

And it's completely free. With IAP's only being campaign dlc's.

My mind is blown.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

the littlest prince posted:

Yeah, kinda. But pretty much any game does that for me.

No, I mean for me it eats battery noticeably faster than even full 3D action games. It's really weird.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

srulz posted:

Ironclad Tactics is just released on Android:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zachtronics.ironcladtactics

And it's completely free. With IAP's only being campaign dlc's.

My mind is blown.

That sounds amazing! Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

That sounds amazing! Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

I just discovered there is a 1-time IAP ($3.99) to unlock the rest of the campaigns, but you got such a good chunk of the game that you really got nothing to lose by downloading it.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Potsticker posted:

I have not, thanks! I'm not a big fan of color picross/nonagrams, but I'm already downloading that second link to check out.

If you're skipping Hungry Cat for some reason other than having actually tried it I recommend giving it a shot anyway. I like it a lot better than other color picross games because it follows slightly different rules; Instead of the standard picross notation that indicates a number of consecutive filled spaces, ALL the spaces are to be filled with one of up to four colors, and the line notation indicates number of each color in the line, and if that color is all consecutive or not in that line.
You do run out of puzzles somewhat quickly but they put up a Tuesday puzzle every week which is a single large picture made up of 9 max size (15x10) puzzles.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Stupid question, but can you zoom in on the puzzles on Hungry Cat? I'm using the SIII Mini and even on 10x10 my thumbs are a bit too big. Will I eventually need to resort to a stylus?

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
So talisman and all expansion packs are currently 50% off. Is it worth it? I heard it was a good port.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

the panacea posted:

So talisman and all expansion packs are currently 50% off. Is it worth it? I heard it was a good port.

No Talisman is never worth it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's better than the talisman board game, since you can just turn it off and walk away once you realize the game is horrendously boring instead of still being trapped playing for several more hours because you don't want to be rude.

It's still not really worth spending money on.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Thanks for the advice!

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
So... Tiny Death Star is gone? Any comments from our resident Nimblebitier?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

The Jorts of Zeus posted:

If own the game already or bought the game previously, you still have it.

If you have never bought the game, then you are poo poo out of luck.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Sorry, we'd keep it up if it were up to us?

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
I'm more curious about how the relationship was with Disney and if this is the sort of thing that isn't a huge surprise, based on communication with the D prior to now. That might be information that you can't share due to contractual obligations, but I think it would be interesting to hear some behind the scenes stuff. I think Tiny Death Star was the coolest idea you guys have worked on!

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Welp, hope you Star Wars CoC clone players have fun while you still can if this is any indication.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

I'm more curious about how the relationship was with Disney and if this is the sort of thing that isn't a huge surprise, based on communication with the D prior to now. That might be information that you can't share due to contractual obligations, but I think it would be interesting to hear some behind the scenes stuff. I think Tiny Death Star was the coolest idea you guys have worked on!

Yeah, a story I'd share over a drink but not here :)

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

toanoradian posted:

Stupid question, but can you zoom in on the puzzles on Hungry Cat? I'm using the SIII Mini and even on 10x10 my thumbs are a bit too big. Will I eventually need to resort to a stylus?

I can't check right now but I'm pretty sure you can't zoom, no.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Welp, hope you Star Wars CoC clone players have fun while you still can if this is any indication.

Star Wars Commander is a Disney product.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Star Wars Commander was published by Disney, what happened with the Death Star one?

e:fb

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

You haven't noticed the sudden deluge of Star Wars games on mobile platforms after Disney got the license? SW:Commander, there's a SW party-based combat thing that looks pretty bad, and a Star Wars card game that looks like a reskinned version of WWE SuperCard.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Drone posted:

You haven't noticed the sudden deluge of Star Wars games on mobile platforms after Disney got the license? SW:Commander, there's a SW party-based combat thing that looks pretty bad, and a Star Wars card game that looks like a reskinned version of WWE SuperCard.

If you're talking about Star Wars: Assault Team, that got pulled too.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

srulz posted:

I just discovered there is a 1-time IAP ($3.99) to unlock the rest of the campaigns, but you got such a good chunk of the game that you really got nothing to lose by downloading it.

Ironclad Tactics talk:

I just hit the end of the free portion. It's pretty short, but it gives you some idea of what the game is like, and it cuts out just when you start thinking about the different decks and tactics that you might want to try out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
Does Ironclad Tactics have multi? I know the PC version does and some of the tooltips in the Android non-paid mention co-op, but I can't see any multiplayer buttons in the demo version, do they appear when you buy the campaign or just not exist?

• Locked thread