Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
So my partner thinks she's ready for a car again. This is problematic. She's like unintentionally AI. Things on her wish list are an older Alfa Spider, a Jeep of some description, a few other things I can't remember, and the real doozy, she actually wanted me to find out the price of the manx like buggy in a paddock a few towns away. Dead paint, no engine, swing axles, wide rims...mmm yeah baby. That's my dream car.
I know the price would make me cry and it'd be a yard ornament but I'm still tempted to go find out given that I have a stockpile of NOS VW parts and a couple of engines that would bolt in sitting around doing nothing.

ACVWs are like a horrible disease with no cure that can either take years to kill someone or just weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CharlesM posted:

Anecdotally, according to a lot of different forum users, some cars tend to run bad on those fancy types of plugs.

Rover V8s love basic Champion plugs. Nothing like changing your plugs for a whopping 10 bucks.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Viggen posted:

Already? drat.

So, I put Bosch Platinum +4s in the '96 Ford 4.0 V6. I noticed a plug wire was pretty loose when attached- feels like it broke in the boot somewhere, so I replaced it with another one I had.

No! bad viggen! get those out of there, they don't belong in an engine.

These are the bosch +4s that came out of my 540

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 226 days!)

General_Failure posted:

ACVWs are like a horrible disease with no cure that can either take years to kill someone or just weeks.

Isn't it about time for you to get another Ford? :q:

Here are the NGKs I tried first, because hell, they were supposed to be a perfect match. :haw:

..it wouldn't even idle on those. Keep in mind that these plugs never even left the driveway.

Here are the old Bosch I took out. They're pretty normal looking for wear, but they're certainly past their use-by date.

Powershift posted:

No! bad viggen! get those out of there, they don't belong in an engine.

These are the bosch +4s that came out of my 540

I'm sensing a trend. I couldn't find the same R3s it was running on, and my domestic knowledge is so out of date: "You put Bosch Platinum in everything and its fine." gently caress it, I guess I'm getting Motorcraft. :emo:

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 3, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

You did actually check that they were gapped correctly, yes?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Viggen posted:

Isn't it about time for you to get another Ford? :q:

No. No. Nononononono. No. NO.

I've been looking at eBay, Gumtree etc. for a few hundred km radius. Something like half the cars are minor variants of the Fairlane. I get pissed off and walk away. All the cool cars are too expensive, too far away, too useless or too broken.

The Fairlane needs it's registration renewed. It runs out in a couple of weeks. I would have rather put that money towards a car, then cut my losses and sell the Fairlane for cheap as is and use that money toward the other proposed car registration. I mean it's a rare car but that's more of a pain in the rear end than anything else.

Not sure how the buggy factors in to all of it. Something to do with the lifetime of VWs Stockholm syndrome.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Fucknag posted:

You did actually check that they were gapped correctly, yes?

Yes. 0.054" (Tolerance is between 0.052 and 0.056). It was a little interesting checking that with the +4s, but it absolutely hates them when it warms up. :iiam:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Wait a minute.. We're on topic in the off-topic thread. I'm on topic in the off-topic thread. It must be opposite day.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
You aren't supposed to mess with the gap on twin/quad electrode plugs.

My old Protege ran like poo poo on anything but the cheapest NGK or Denso plugs. My 4Runner uses a wasted spark ignition system and says to only use twin electrode plugs and the only ones that work right are the OEM NGKs or Densos.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Does anyone know of any long, detailed project video logs out there? I've just watched all of the 'My 76 Mazda Cosmo Rebuild' series which is really good even though the guy is more than a bit goony. Are there any other decent video builds like this that aren't just one overview video or a timelapse or photo slideshow?

Edit: Recommend you watch these if you haven't already. The guy goes into as much depth as I did into a $30 hooker last night :|.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZfDYpkYgWk

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Does anyone know of any long, detailed project video logs out there? I've just watched all of the 'My 76 Mazda Cosmo Rebuild' series which is really good even though the guy is more than a bit goony. Are there any other decent video builds like this that aren't just one overview video or a timelapse or photo slideshow?

You want long? Ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQLWQK9jBYk

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Ahh holy poo poo, I've seen that one as well. I remember skipping so much because theres only so long I can watch a guy fitting a trunk lid. I saw the 'project 818' log as well which was pretty good although maybe a bit too 'professional'.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

General_Failure posted:

Dead paint, no engine, swing axles, wide rims...mmm yeah baby. That's my dream car.
I know the price would make me cry and it'd be a yard ornament but I'm still tempted to go find out given that I have a stockpile of NOS VW parts and a couple of engines that would bolt in sitting around doing nothing.

You'd love what I just bought then!

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

bandman posted:

You aren't supposed to mess with the gap on twin/quad electrode plugs.

:eng101: I didn't. I measured them, and they're within tolerance. You aren't supposed to change the gap as they get old, either - if we're just being informational here.

DJ Commie posted:

Sell G_F your Subaru!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
ACVW is love, ACVW is life.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

DJ Commie posted:

Oh I do. You triggered a nasty little itch that was long dormant.

Viggen posted:

Sell G_F your Subaru!

So I an rock a LHD variant of a not totally uncommon RHD vehicle here? I mean I already have a motor but it seems a little circuitous.

eBay is pissing me off. I was going to post a link of something interesting but I can't find it. It's a pre production MB Gelandewagen ute variant. If I were single and had the cash I'd be all over it.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

General_Failure posted:

So I an rock a LHD variant of a not totally uncommon RHD vehicle here? I mean I already have a motor but it seems a little circuitous.

You have a lot of 1978 GLs?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Rover V8s love basic Champion plugs. Nothing like changing your plugs for a whopping 10 bucks.

My 4.0 likes to misfire on cylinder 5 unless I've got Champions in. I feel ya.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Can't speak for '78 in particular but the GL and Brumby (Brat?) used to be as common as dirt. They still pop up from time to time driving around, in wreckers and sitting in yards or paddocks.

Oh god there's a Renault 12 only an hour away. They used to be pretty common when I was in high school but not so much now. I have a head sickness. Even entertaining the idea isn't healthy.

e: Pretty much had her sold on a Saab 900S convertible but it was manual. Red flag. Damnit.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 4, 2014

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

General_Failure posted:

e: Pretty much had her sold on a Saab 900S convertible but it was manual. Red flag. Damnit.

You don't want an S, they're NA. Avoid anything with the BW 3 speed slushbox, too (93 'vert and earlier). They're godawful.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Viggen posted:

Which reminds me, I need a gas chainsaw. Best "haunted house" I remember as a little kid had someone dressed up as Generic Killer #905, and used a gas chainsaw as a prop (chain removed). Always wanted to do that. Bet that I'd spend less on candy NEXT year. :q:

Last year about this time, I drove past a house with a really ugly guy spray painting halloween decor in his front yard.

Drove past a few days later... lots of decor up. Guy was building more.

A few days after that.. see a sign with a URL. Turns out this guy spends (possibly tens of) thousands every halloween to scare the poo poo out of his neighborhood, right down to chasing people (briefly anyway) with a chainsaw. :stare:

I wish he was my neighbor :saddowns:

Geirskogul posted:

ACVW is love, ACVW is life.

I thought love what what made a subaru a subaru.

bandman posted:

My old Protege ran like poo poo on anything but the cheapest NGK or Denso plugs. My 4Runner uses a wasted spark ignition system and says to only use twin electrode plugs and the only ones that work right are the OEM NGKs or Densos.

My car seems to hate NGK - which irritates me, NGK is my favorite brand. It was detonation city until I went back to OEM AC Delco plugs.

Also a wasted spark system, but doesn't use twin electrode plugs. :confused:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 4, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

some texas redneck posted:

Last year about this time, I drove past a house with a really ugly guy spray painting halloween decor in his front yard.

Drove past a few days later... lots of decor up. Guy was building more.

A few days after that.. see a sign with a URL. Turns out this guy spends (possibly tens of) thousands every halloween to scare the poo poo out of his neighborhood, right down to chasing people (briefly anyway) with a chainsaw. :stare:

That's awesome, do you remember what th URL was, by any chance?

Way back when I lived outside Atlanta in the '90s, there was a very wealthy neighborhood that had a cluster of about 6-8 homes that would go balls out every halloween, made the whole street look like a horror movie, with creepy sound effects and music playing throughout. One house had a gigantic fake spider that was easily 8ft in diameter attached to the second floor.

Nobody ever does that kind of elaborate stuff around here, it sucks :( I managed to get mentioned on the local rock station one halloween because I spray painted a kiddie-pool fluorescent orange with a jack-o-lantern face in black, and hung it on the side of my house with a blacklight underneath. Fuckin' small towns...

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

T-Square posted:

tl;dr: We're both getting bumped up to Expert next season, and are going to get stomped hard. Also, this is totally a CA post, but you guys are cooler, and CA seems pretty dead lately.

That's awesome, nice work getting bumped to expert. One of my old roommates races WERA and wasn't thrilled about getting bumped to expert, think he protested it the first year so he could dominate novice. Wish I had the time to give that a shot.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Edit: Recommend you watch these if you haven't already. The guy goes into as much depth as I did into a $30 hooker last night :|.

Project binky is pretty good. Not done yet but great so far 7 episodes.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Terrible Robot posted:

That's awesome, do you remember what th URL was, by any chance?

I didn't. but googling the street name and halloween turned it up.

http://www.halloweenspookshow.com/

Website isn't exactly great, and hasn't been updated in over a year. Pictures from 2012 are here.

Unfortunately it's a (large) gated community with guards, you can't just drive in to see the place. It used to be part of my delivery area.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 4, 2014

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Turns out this guy spends (possibly tens of) thousands every halloween to scare the poo poo out of his neighborhood, right down to chasing people (briefly anyway) with a chainsaw. :stare:

My girlfriend's neighborhood is one of those that goes all out on Halloween. Yuppy parents from all over bring their darling children and it's a poo poo show - last year I think we went thru like 10 lbs of candy at 2-3 pieces per kid.

I was wearing my horse mask and a suit. Most kids thought it was funny, but a few were nervous. Then I got pretty drunk and brought out a 36" chainsaw and stood out on the lawn, revving it and waving a deer antler around. Any kid that looked a little too old for trick or treat got chased. It owned, and the dirty looks from patents were withering. Guess they forgot Halloween is scary. I put it away when a cop car went by slower than usual :v:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There are a couple people on my block who go so god drat far overboard with storebought decorations for every holiday, it just looks like a landfill on the front lawn.

gently caress halloween. gently caress christmas. gently caress easter. gently caress thanksgiving.

At this point christmas is loving up 20% of the year.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Viggen posted:

You don't want an S, they're NA. Avoid anything with the BW 3 speed slushbox, too (93 'vert and earlier). They're godawful.

Nonono, NA is good. NA is less powerful. It's not for me.
Shame about the slushbox. I don't like them but again, not for me.

I drove past the buggy again today. Actually took a detour to do it. Tried to take a photo but the camera on the phone was just seeing black :( I can at least confirm it has wheels like DJ Commie's.
I need to figure out who the paddock belongs to and pay them a visit. I know it's a functionally useless vehicle to me but I just have to know.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Halloween is awesome, I was building haunted houses in my front yard when I was nine. Haters can get hosed.

Also, why hasn't anyone posted new Roadkill yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxYrdQjQuNE

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ebola chat

Then zoomed in on the sign that has the building number. A lot of older apartments here have an individual street address for every building - that sign actually had the full street address on it along with the building #, so you no longer need to google the name of the property to get an address.

Then they zoomed in on the front door, clearly showing the actual apartment number, and the anchors kept repeating the apartment number. :wtc:

Someone has moved them into a house rent-free "at an undisclosed location".

I'm really glad someone stepped up and did that for them - they'd otherwise be hosed once the quarantine was lifted, and just guessing by where they were living, it's not a family with a lot of money. Their apartment is in a very rough area (speaking from semi-personal experience, have had several friends who lived on the same street, and used to work about a mile away).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Oct 4, 2014

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
I might actually have to buy candy this year.

I lived in the ghetto before and no one trick-or-treated, and the local Boys and Girl's club down the street had a carnival and haunted house for the kids.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Every pizza place I've worked at has a very strict "nobody can take the day off" when it comes to halloween. Usually the same for Superbowl and New Years (both eve and day).

I'm going to have to say something like "sorry, family reunion" or some poo poo.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Every pizza place I've worked at has a very strict "nobody can take the day off" when it comes to halloween. Usually the same for Superbowl and New Years (both eve and day).

I'm going to have to say something like "sorry, family reunion" or some poo poo.

Tell them to eat a box of octococks, because you got poo poo to do. Also you cover their rear end way more than you should.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
Coldest morning so far here in Atlanta, at 46 degrees, and my daughter's baseball game started at 9 AM. All of the kids, ages 5-6, are cold and super whiny.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

There's a guy in my parents neighborhood that's been going all out every year for Halloween for the past 6 years and it's a new theme every year. The guy is obviously retired and has a ton of disposable income since his front lawn is easily about 3500 square feet and is filled with trails and stuff for people to explore. Last year he did Pirates of the Caribbean, the year before it was Sponge Bob, there's always plenty of blood and everything to go around.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

keykey posted:

plenty of blood and everything to go around.

I saw GWAR at a halloween show, on halloween a many years ago. THERE they had plenty of blood and everything to go around.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Let me tell you about Halloween in Memphis:

If you leave your porch lights on (which you should year round due to Memphis):

Oct 30th - dusk to dawn - Teenagers/adults not wearing costumes
Oct 31st - dusk to 8 pm - Kids in costumes, Teenagers/adults not wearing costumes
Nov 1st - dusk to dawn - Teenagers/adults not wearing costumes

I quit celebrating Halloween and started celebrating The Great Pumpkin over Thanksgiving.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Goober Peas posted:

Let me tell you about Halloween in Memphis:

If you leave your porch lights on (which you should year round due to Memphis):

Oct 30th - dusk to dawn - Teenagers/adults not wearing costumes
Oct 31st - dusk to 8 pm - Kids in costumes, Teenagers/adults not wearing costumes
Nov 1st - dusk to dawn - Teenagers/adults not wearing costumes

I quit celebrating Halloween and started celebrating The Great Pumpkin over Thanksgiving.

I quit celebrating Halloween at my last house because I realized that none of the people who came to my house actually lived in my neighborhood or even in my city. They'd drive in from other places because they thought that we gave out better candy.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

goatse guy posted:

I quit celebrating Halloween at my last house because I realized that none of the people who came to my house actually lived in my neighborhood or even in my city. They'd drive in from other places because they thought that we gave out better candy.

I remember this. One year I decided to be generous to the neighborhood kids and I passed out full size candy bars. By the third return trip of munchkins back in as many hours (all two), I decided the next year would be peanut butter chews and Sugar Daddies. Now, its a crapshoot. One year I went through probably $20 worth of candy, and last year I gave away nearly nothing.

In other news, the "prebidding" is over for the auction going on a few miles over that just isn't worth wasting an afternoon on. If I win the '89 Cherokee for $5, what the hell do I do with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
When I lived in flint the day before Halloween was called devils night and the tradition was to burn down abandoned buildings and get up to other assorted mischief

• Locked thread