Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
First post-rotation FNM for me, brought Mono Black Aggro just because it was pretty much the only deck I had that I could play without trading / buying cards (accumulated 4 Bloodsoaked Champions via pre-releases / releases) and went 2-2. I played against Mono Green Devotion / Monsters, UWR Tempo / Burn, BUG Monsters, RUG Monsters. Lost to UWR & BUG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I've been testing a BW Control list pretty similar to the one that top 16ed the Indiannapolis Open. It has a slightly favorable matchup against mardu midrange, a better matchup against Abzan midrange, and Green devotion variants are a bye. didn't test enough with monsters to judge that.

if the meta becomes Midrange: The Durdling, this deck is positioned to wreck face.

e: also went 2-0-1 in draft and split for 30 in store credit, spent it all on prerelease seeded packs that were going for $2 a pop. walked away with a promo dig through time, jeskai ascendancy, butcher, and bloodsoaked champion amongst other things, as well as a shitload of trilands and charms.

value was insane

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Oct 4, 2014

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I took down FNM with monoblack aggro. Was a lot of fun winning on turn 4. I will probably get hated out next standard FNM though. Completed my fetch land playsets as well so very successful Friday. Now I just need playlsets of the Zendrikar fetches -__-

CaptainAmazingPants
Jul 14, 2002

I'm just waiting for someone to respond "WHAT ARE YOU SOME KIND OF FUCKING IDIOT"
Traded in cards for a box of khans today after a so so draft for FNM.

Draft: Went Abzan because thats where I thought the signals were. I opened a Towering Meandershell, a Hardened Scales, and then an Avalanche Tusker. I passed off every rare, even tabling the hardened scales and then taking it after getting passed double feat of resistance and several outlast creatures. Turned out the girl I played in the first round & who was sitting to my right had opened a Siege Rhino, forced Abzan, and then took all the wrong cards. I 2-0'd her with my warrior synergy, +1/+1 counter distribution, and deathtouch 1/1s. Went 2-2 the rest of the night. The guy I was playing in the last round got paired down, we played and I won, then told him to take the win since I was 1-2 at that point and probably out of prizes and we could split whatever he got. He gets two packs. He opens Windswept Heath and celebrates, I open Master of the Pearls.

Box: Get home and open my box, besides the 1 Polluted Delta, I'm fairly confident the most valuable card I got was the Buy a Box promo. Knowing how much value was in the set, the cards I had traded for a box, and what I was opening I ended up feeling pretty sick to my stomach by the end of the box.

Mythics:
Ugin's Nexus x 2
Ashcloud Pheonix
Narset, Enlightened Master
Hooded Hydra
Rares:
Rattleclaw Mystic
Bloodsoaked Champion x 2
Mantis Rider
Savage Knuckleblade x 2
Dig Through Time
Polluted Delta

Checking on card kingdom I could buy the rest of the rares I opened for .50-$1. loving awful night of wizard poker. [/rant]

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Remember everyone, don't open packs for value.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Found that Zendikar fetches are still pretty valuable. Surprised since I thought the Onslaught of Tarkir ones were just as good in most decks. Maybe time to move them in case of a reprint in Louie?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

Found that Zendikar fetches are still pretty valuable. Surprised since I thought the Onslaught of Tarkir ones were just as good in most decks. Maybe time to move them in case of a reprint in Louie?

Yeah, that would be a good idea. It's all but certain that the cycle will be completed, so if they hold value, push now. The ONS fetches seem to be around double the price of the KTK ones, but it's still a pretty big drop.

CaptainAmazingPants
Jul 14, 2002

I'm just waiting for someone to respond "WHAT ARE YOU SOME KIND OF FUCKING IDIOT"

Jabor posted:

I know. And I understood it was a gamble going into it. That doesn't mean I can't feel salty about double Ugin's Nexus. Between the pre-releases and the box that gives me 3 Ugin's Nexuses. The only thing I could really do with them is just hold on to them for like 10 years and maybe an artifact stranglehold at mythic rare will be worth $s to the EDH kids.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I traded a Verdant for a couple of the Khans fetchlands at a pre-release and felt pretty ok about it. Polluted delta and flooded strand for my verdant catacombs? seemed ok. Since then the Zendi fetches have been falling fast. Misty is on TCG right now for $35. Seems like the prices are falling fast. If you have a stockpile of them it's either hold on to them to see if they go back up after Khans has been out a while and things stabalize or SELL SELL SELL.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

UberJew posted:

Swept FNM draft (not really interesting, I opened a Ghostfire Blade and then just drafted all the best morphs regardless of color plus fixing)
What up, mono-Morph with a Ghostfire Blade bro :hf:

I've found that 5 colour good stuff is absolutely a playable deck in Khans draft. Obviously there are a number of cards that push the deck to a high power level, but the amount of randomly sweet cards I got later than they should go just because nobody could pick them makes it worth playing. This includes:

Treasure Cruise
Sagu Mauler
Ghostfire Blade (pick 3? 4? of pack 2.)
Butcher of the Horse
Ponyback Brigade (x2)
Abzan & Mardu Charm
Abzan Guide (x2)
Abomination of Gudul (x3)

In fact, I've completely fell in love with Abomination of Gudul in the few drafts I've done so far - its morph ability gives it real flexibility, it blocks a lot of the flying beaters of the format, and its looting ability lets you out-value the Sultai/grindy decks of the format or give you the means of hitting your last colour land drop if you have a poor draw early on. I'm in love. :allears:

edit: oh, and the best part about drafting 5 colour with 10+ nonbasic lands is that your basic land mana base is probably immediately available to you from the middle of the draft pod once the draft's done.

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Oct 4, 2014

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Veyrall posted:

Now we need Chocorojo to clear this up.

Yeah that's basically it. The third act of Apocalypse is Yawgmoth himself personally entering Dominaria as a gigantic cloud of death and reanimating any dead thing it touched (Including the soil. This is why there are clay golems in some Apocalypse art. I know Smash shows Tahngarth smashing through some.) The Apocalypse novel is pretty bad

Yawgmoth is such a strange character. He's not a planeswalker but that was basically one of his ultimate desires and when he couldn't biologically do it he basically surpassed it with technology. Basically everything about Yawgmoth's power is all poo poo he did to himself. He was essentially a gently caress-off powerful techno-lich-god. The reason he's never depicted on card art, I believe, is he's a goofy looking fucker according to the Apocalypse style guide. Imagine a 40-foot-tall Dr. Robotnik that's turned himself inside out. Alternatively the novel says he's just a giant techno dragon now. Again, Apocalypse novel is pretty bad.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Jabor posted:

This is true but I'm actually having better luck with Khans packs than other sets before it. Nothing crazy, but I'm regularly opening $5-$10 cards in the few packs I've picked up through drafting or prize payouts. That has to just be because people haven't decided what is and isn't good + low supply, right?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I really like the concept of the Invasion story but the execution was so bad. And there's no way we'll get a redo.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Snacksmaniac posted:

I really like the concept of the Invasion story but the execution was so bad. And there's no way we'll get a redo.

It really takes a turn once J. Robert King introduced Scott-McGough-but-as-a-planeswalker. And then careened directly into the ground when Scott-McGough-but-as-a-planeswalker casually mentions he has knowledge of how the story will end and Phyrexia is only defeated because he just erases the parts where they win because he is literally Scott-McGough-but-as-a-planeswalker.

Reminder this is the man who wrote Onslaught block's books.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Chorocojo posted:

Yeah that's basically it. The third act of Apocalypse is Yawgmoth himself personally entering Dominaria as a gigantic cloud of death and reanimating any dead thing it touched (Including the soil. This is why there are clay golems in some Apocalypse art. I know Smash shows Tahngarth smashing through some.) The Apocalypse novel is pretty bad

Yawgmoth is such a strange character. He's not a planeswalker but that was basically one of his ultimate desires and when he couldn't biologically do it he basically surpassed it with technology. Basically everything about Yawgmoth's power is all poo poo he did to himself. He was essentially a gently caress-off powerful techno-lich-god. The reason he's never depicted on card art, I believe, is he's a goofy looking fucker according to the Apocalypse style guide. Imagine a 40-foot-tall Dr. Robotnik that's turned himself inside out. Alternatively the novel says he's just a giant techno dragon now. Again, Apocalypse novel is pretty bad.

Alternatively,

Chorocojo posted:

It really takes a turn once J. Robert King introduced Scott-McGough-but-as-a-planeswalker. And then careened directly into the ground when Scott-McGough-but-as-a-planeswalker casually mentions he has knowledge of how the story will end and Phyrexia is only defeated because he just erases the parts where they win because he is literally Scott-McGough-but-as-a-planeswalker.

Reminder this is the man who wrote Onslaught block's books.

To be fair he also wrote Kamigawa and Legends Cycle II, which are pretty okay.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

GonSmithe posted:

Alternatively,

Yeah, human Yawgmoth before he created Phyrexia was just a Thran doctor.

GonSmithe posted:

To be fair he also wrote Kamigawa and Legends Cycle II, which are pretty okay.

Kamigawa and Legends Cycle II were written by Scott McGough. Fine reads.

J. Robert King wrote Invasion and Onslaught and they were awful. Onslaught far more awful.

EDIT: God, now I'm thinking about The Thran that he wrote and how Yawgmoth drops nukes on Chicago, New Orleans, Washington, Seattle, New York, etc. loving hell.

Chorocojo fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 4, 2014

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Went 4-0-1 with mono-black aggro at fnm last night, but lost in game 3 of my first top 8 match. Deck is real good, and the sideboard got a lot more interesting with khans. Super good in the current meta where every is playing slow wedge decks.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Chorocojo posted:

Kamigawa and Legends Cycle II were written by Scott McGough. Fine reads.

J. Robert King wrote Invasion and Onslaught and they were awful. Onslaught far more awful.

EDIT: God, now I'm thinking about The Thran that he wrote and how Yawgmoth drops nukes on Chicago, New Orleans, Washington, Seattle, New York, etc. loving hell.

Oh, my bad, I thought Scott McGough wrote Onslaught too, but now I'm remembering that he wrote Torment.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Lessons learned from a 1-1 MODO sealed so far:

1. I loving hate High Sentinels of Arashan. Especially when it's in a deck with every single outlast creature ever.

2. Master the Way is terrible and you should not run it.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Count Bleck posted:

So what happens if your Sand Mage gets countered?
Then I have to wait until turn 5 to have the bug eat the last counter. It's not a combo I can usually pull off that fast (only had it happen that way once), but it's still a pretty solid/fun deck. A lot of times I just end up dragging out a turn 3 Pardic Dragon and eating faces, or instant speed Aeon Chronicler for 4 -> eat counters beat face on my turn.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

C-Euro posted:

This is true but I'm actually having better luck with Khans packs than other sets before it. Nothing crazy, but I'm regularly opening $5-$10 cards in the few packs I've picked up through drafting or prize payouts. That has to just be because people haven't decided what is and isn't good + low supply, right?

So with every set the cards in it start out worth more than they should, and more than the price of a box can support because people will just continue opening boxes and packs until it's not profitable (and after but people tend to stop buying boxes a bit later on). Because so much of the price is focused in the dual lands as well as any playables or maybes still demanding a high price, rares in general have a higher EV than they should. Fetches will probably have a slightly stickier value than other duals and rares might, just due to their use in modern, which basically means that most other rares in the set will slowly be driven down until it's not "worth it" to buy boxes anymore.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Rogue 7 posted:

2. Master the Way is terrible and you should not run it.

Nah it's a clock on a deadlocked board. I ran into several situations where I just didn't have the removal in hand to deal with it, and it just whittled away my life total and I couldn't get past the walls.
If your opponent is flush with removal, then yeah, you can side it out.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Master the Way, not Mystic of the Hidden Way.

This janky thing.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Nah it's a clock on a deadlocked board. I ran into several situations where I just didn't have the removal in hand to deal with it, and it just whittled away my life total and I couldn't get past the walls.
If your opponent is flush with removal, then yeah, you can side it out.

Yeah, an unblockable 3-power dude is going to be quite good, especially since you can play him as a morph. Master the Way just ends up being "deal 2 damage, draw a card", which is not what you want at 5 mana sorcery speed.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

an_mutt posted:

What up, mono-Morph with a Ghostfire Blade bro :hf:

I've found that 5 colour good stuff is absolutely a playable deck in Khans draft. Obviously there are a number of cards that push the deck to a high power level, but the amount of randomly sweet cards I got later than they should go just because nobody could pick them makes it worth playing. This includes:

Treasure Cruise
Sagu Mauler
Ghostfire Blade (pick 3? 4? of pack 2.) :what:
Butcher of the Horse
Ponyback Brigade (x2)
Abzan & Mardu Charm
Abzan Guide (x2)
Abomination of Gudul (x3)

In fact, I've completely fell in love with Abomination of Gudul in the few drafts I've done so far - its morph ability gives it real flexibility, it blocks a lot of the flying beaters of the format, and its looting ability lets you out-value the Sultai/grindy decks of the format or give you the means of hitting your last colour land drop if you have a poor draw early on. I'm in love. :allears:

edit: oh, and the best part about drafting 5 colour with 10+ nonbasic lands is that your basic land mana base is probably immediately available to you from the middle of the draft pod once the draft's done.

Absolutely nobody should ever pass a Ghostfire blade in Khans draft under any circumstances. You usually don't have a good 1 drop play, it's colorless, it's fantastic when it is equip 3 and absolutely broken when it is equip 1 which it is in every single draft deck.

Well, ok if you took a foil fetch or planeswalker over it that's fine, but that means it should never be later than second pick.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Chorocojo posted:

So based on what Yawgmoth did as a doc, he would be the Magic version of Josef Goebbels correct? Unless I'm getting him confused with another Nazi.
vvv: Yeah it's that one, I get confused at times because of their first name.

neetengie fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 4, 2014

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

neetengie posted:

So based on what Yawgmoth did as a doc, he would be the Magic version of Josef Goebbels correct? Unless I'm getting him confused with another Nazi.

You're thinking of Mengele.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
is Jeff Grubb still doing nerd tie-in novels? If so, chain him inside Creative and force him to do all the writing from now on

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Seriously, the only MtG books worth reading were the ones he did. Although I maintain that The Brothers' War was the only actually good book in the whole series. Some of them were cool when I was 14, but looking back at them now... holy poo poo. It's like they just locked the authors in a room with the plot points to hit and the characters that needed to show up, and then just published the first draft.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Someone please tell these SCG commentators that Arrow Storm has Raid and not Ferocious. They've made this same mistake like five times.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

stinkles1112 posted:

It's like they just locked the authors in a room with the plot points to hit and the characters that needed to show up, and then just published the first draft.
I am fairly certain that this is exactly what they did for every book published after The Gathering Dark.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
The only Magic books I've read are the Onslaught Block ones when I was 13 and I thought they were OK back then.

Apparently they're the worst books? Oh well. Wouldn't be the first time Young Me enjoyed something that was genuinely terrible.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Honestly the thing about those books that bothers me the very most is the absurdly amateurish amount of basic formatting/spelling/grammar errors that made it to print. Like I can forgive a typo or two but holy poo poo there's one on every page.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The Onslaught block books were awful.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Oh man, I've just joined my first ever competitive MTGO prerelease Khans event on a whim with the Abzan crowd. Round 1 against a Jeskai player using Morphs went 2-0 in my favor so far, but I hope I made a good enough deck to earn my poor rear end some boosters... The deck has a Chief of the Edge (was hoping for Scale) and a lot of warriors, so here's hoping I crush my competition!

The mythic I got was the Abzan mythic, Anafenza the Foremost. Also got a couple of lifegain dual lands, and two triple-color lands. No life-paying land rares, though.

EDIT: 0-2 against another Abzan player... He murdered all my dudes and drew his outlasters before I did. :(
EDIT: Yep I can't build for poo poo. 1-2, this time against Blue/Black/Green. I got seriously mana-screwed round 3, I had no white mana at all for my Abzan stuff.
EDIT: Another 0-2, this time against Jeskai. Maybe I should enter some goon Magic IRC or something for tips next time I do something like this.

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 4, 2014

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Elyv posted:

The Onslaught block books were awful.

I haven't read those, but I refuse to believe that they could be worse than the Mirrodin block books.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Cernunnos posted:

The only Magic books I've read are the Onslaught Block ones when I was 13 and I thought they were OK back then.

Apparently they're the worst books? Oh well. Wouldn't be the first time Young Me enjoyed something that was genuinely terrible.

Yeah I'm in about the same boat. Thought they were awesome when I was a kid, but I'd probably hate them if I read them now.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

ShadeofBlue posted:

I haven't read those, but I refuse to believe that they could be worse than the Mirrodin block books.
Well the Mirrodin books have a character named 'Slow Bad' but the Onslaught books have like, zombie untouchable minion sex in them so there's that.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Decided to give sealed on mtgo a shot, pulled foil siege rhino, foil bloodstained mire, and a mantis rider. Winning even if I lose~

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

stinkles1112 posted:

Honestly the thing about those books that bothers me the very most is the absurdly amateurish amount of basic formatting/spelling/grammar errors that made it to print. Like I can forgive a typo or two but holy poo poo there's one on every page.

Speaking of formatting bollocks (and you're very right about how awful the proofing is in Magic books, ffs guys), this is how the e-book version of Bloodlines looks:

Literally every page is half width, with either one or two lines that have managed to break out to full length. It's awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

ShadeofBlue posted:

Mirrodin's pretty bad, but Onslaught isn't just a terrible tie-in novel to a wizard card game, it's just terrible overall.

The books are full of just bad "comedy" scenes and attempts at slapstick humor. The supposed main characters, you know, the one on the cards like Akroma and Phage, etc? Treated like secondary characters to ones not mentioned anywhere. Spoilers they are super-powerful wizards that came back to help Kamahl, etc defeat the bad guys. Trust them they were the ones who beat Dromar, etc originally. Themes in the sets like tribal or slivers? Never come up. Morph spiders? Never come up. But man, if you want a sex scene between the Cabal Patriarch and Phage or for Akroma to be a Panther-taur for 80% of the time in the books she's in then there you go.

Mirrodin was mostly just a boring slog.

stinkles1112 posted:

Oh thank god it's not just me that noticed this.

• Locked thread