Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Just make the left to right road (as per the picture) the right of way and it sorts that out.

BraveUlysses posted:

worse:

http://goo.gl/maps/WNkOF

7 way intersection in seattle, right next to a major highway

Slap a roundabout down and job done.

Why are 4(or more) way stops still a thing in the US? I can understand having them in the early days of the car but by today they are just a bad option. If the road is so under used just make one lane the right of way and if it sees lots of traffic their are far better options to keep the traffic moving. Are the people who design road junctions their because they are the third cousin of the current mayor or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Why are 4(or more) way stops still a thing in the US?
Apparently roundabouts confuse people. I have no idea how. You pull up to a junction, pull out onto a miniature one-way road that goes round in a circle, and pull off that onto a different road when you reach the one you want.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
In the United States, the road and traffic system is designed with that idea that it should be navigable by any driver no matter where in the country they're from or what their skill level. It's pretty much the lowest common denominator system. And to be honest, with licensing and vehicle maintenance requirements being so low that's probably not the worst idea.

Edit: An thanks to the federal system, it is very hard to set national regulations for a lot of stuff. The DOT has used the power of the purse -- i.e. no new highway funds for states without raising the drinking age from 18 to 21 and the DUI BAC from 0.10 to 0.08 -- but that has likely been crippled by the Supreme Court's ruling on Medicare expansion.

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Oct 4, 2014

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

waffle iron posted:

In the United States, the road and traffic system is designed with that idea that it should be navigable by any driver no matter where in the country they're from or what their skill level. It's pretty much the lowest common denominator system.
Most drivers still can't get through a 4-way stop correctly though so I don't think it worked.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Anime Reference posted:

Most drivers still can't get through a 4-way stop correctly though so I don't think it worked.

It's a system that has a huge sunk cost fallacy.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I genuinely think a 4-way stop requires more thought than a roundabout, based on all the complaints I see on here about people being overly polite about the right of way. A single lane roundabout is easy even for the dumbest of the dumb.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The basic roundabout is definitely way simpler. It literally only requires looking to the left and seeing if someone's going to crash into you if you were to continue. The only problem is that it's contrary to the right-hand priority rules elsewhere but they usually get a yield sign to make up for that.

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009
You think Americans can read a yield sign? They must be invisible to the average driver, I can think of several yield signs in my area that are ignored on a daily basis and cause an accident nearly every week.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Yeah, there's a lot of people who either completely ignore yield signs, or treat them as a full stop. You could argue that people might actually learn what they mean if they popped up more than once in a blue moon, but it's still really annoying in areas where roundabouts are new and idiots have no clue what "yield" means.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Are you supposed to use your turn signals at all in a roundabout? I've never seen anyone do it here :911:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Deeters posted:

Are you supposed to use your turn signals at all in a roundabout? I've never seen anyone do it here :911:

That's about right.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
In my time spent with stereotypical old rural American muscle car gearheads, gently prying to understand their hatred of recently installed roundabouts, it usually turns out to be their dislike of European things, which itself is rooted in fear of anything foreign. Just keep installing roundabouts and people who use the word "towelhead" will be dead soon and won't be around to complain about them any more.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

In my time spent with stereotypical old rural American muscle car gearheads, gently prying to understand their hatred of recently installed roundabouts, it usually turns out to be their dislike of European things, which itself is rooted in fear of anything foreign. Just keep installing roundabouts and people who use the word "towelhead" will be dead soon and won't be around to complain about them any more.
"Own powerful RWD cars" and "Really hate roundabouts" just doesn't compute to a UK way of thinking.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I guess they lose their appeal somewhat when those powerful RWD cars have oxcart suspension. :can:

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Haifisch posted:

Yeah, there's a lot of people who either completely ignore yield signs, or treat them as a full stop.

To be fair, I come across a lot of yields that should be full stops because there is zero visibility until you get right up to the intersection. Conversely I've come across yields that should be a regular merge and would mess up traffic if you did actually yield. It's a crapshoot.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

jammyozzy posted:

I guess they lose their appeal somewhat when those powerful RWD cars have oxcart suspension. :can:

Especially when those oxcarts are still has fast as cars that cost twice as much.

Americans hate roundabouts because no one knows how to use them and they are also often misused.
Strangely, a powerful rwd car and a empty big roundabout can be fun. Just ask the aussies.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ugh, I had a right one this evening. Someone with an unlit bike, wearing dark clothing... not cycling, but walking their bike along the road, in the same direction as the traffic. Jesus Christ.

Some poor driver's going to wipe that idiot out, and get a load of financial/legal hassle for it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

waffle iron posted:

In the United States, the road and traffic system is designed with that idea that it should be navigable by any driver no matter where in the country they're from or what their skill level. It's pretty much the lowest common denominator system.
Another big problem is that our engineers here are lowest common denominator asswipes too, and they don't build the roundabouts right. Right near me here, there's a big one that's oval instead of round, and there are traffic lights in it. Another one nearby is so small (the curb area in the center is like 6 feet wide) that it's almost impossible to be in the roundabout so it's almost impossible to know who should yield to whom when approaching it.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Another big problem is that our engineers here are lowest common denominator asswipes too, and they don't build the roundabouts right. Right near me here, there's a big one that's oval instead of round, and there are traffic lights in it. Another one nearby is so small (the curb area in the center is like 6 feet wide) that it's almost impossible to be in the roundabout so it's almost impossible to know who should yield to whom when approaching it.

Case in point: https://www.google.com/maps/@38.207519,-85.708736,19z

That is a roundabout. Yes it's as dumb in person as it looks in the map. They just installed it recently.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

revmoo posted:

Case in point: https://www.google.com/maps/@38.207519,-85.708736,19z

That is a roundabout. Yes it's as dumb in person as it looks in the map. They just installed it recently.

Well of course, it's outside of a zoo. Based on all the zoo's I've visited, I am fairly sure that zoo's are required by law to have strange road designs where you enter their parking lot.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
It baffles me that roundabouts can be so difficult to understand. Single lane ones are dead simple. Multi lane ones where you have to change lanes while on the roundabout, people gently caress those up all the time though. The crazier ones like this one make people's brain melt but it's really not that bad if you just think about it: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5629338,-1.7714007,243m/data=!3m1!1e3

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

The Locator posted:

Well of course, it's outside of a zoo. Based on all the zoo's I've visited, I am fairly sure that zoo's are required by law to have strange road designs where you enter their parking lot.

"Bear left"; so we went home.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ArcticZombie posted:

It baffles me that roundabouts can be so difficult to understand. Single lane ones are dead simple. Multi lane ones where you have to change lanes while on the roundabout, people gently caress those up all the time though. The crazier ones like this one make people's brain melt but it's really not that bad if you just think about it: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5629338,-1.7714007,243m/data=!3m1!1e3

As far as I know, multi-lane roundabouts have different rules in different places. In Alberta, for example, you're not supposed to change lanes in a roundabout, and if you're in the outside lane, you are responsible to yield to the person on the inside when they want to leave the circle. I'm not surprised people gently caress that up, to be honest, since it's pretty counterintuitive.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They put a super simple roundabout in a busy area here, and it's unreal how many people have no idea what the gently caress is going on.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@52.2107699,-113.8163867,321m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

there is only 1 loving lane, nothing blocking your view of anything anywhere. DON'T loving STOP BEFORE GOING IN IF THERE'S NOBODY THERE, DO STOP IF THERE IS.

somehow, people do the exact opposite like the person already in the roundabout has to yeild to them, and nobody uses their signal lights.

slip proof stairs
Oct 22, 2012

People seem to have a lot of trouble with this one:
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2622181,-97.7514625,3a,75y,218.16h,72.64t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sqK2U2cEOvltZKmMVMVw-hw!2e0

Also, these bother me to no end. I guess they're just here to keep people on their toes and prevent them from speeding :shrug::
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2469204,-97.7576262,3a,75y,297.94h,90.38t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s1lEpK_waV-5zvE8p2ikjrA!2e0

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There's a great roundabout near where I work that has five entrances, four of which are unsigned (yield), and one of which has a stop sign.

According to some of the traffic engineer goons this is totally contrary to the federal regulations on how roundabouts should be installed (in fact, none of the entrances are supposed to be controlled by a stop sign, but certainly not just one of them). Doesn't matter to the police, who sit at one of the other exits a few car-lengths back and catch car after car as they blow through the unexpected sign. One afternoon I left my window open to hear the siren and counted nine stops in an hour and a half.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
That's some bullshit.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Kind of related.

A new apartment "community" I deliver to just started moving people in a few weeks ago.

Apparently they have a roundabout, but it's not painted or marked in any way, and there's no lighting near it. At the moment, it's just a sea of concrete that rises up in the middle at the back end of the place for no loving reason.

I wasn't the first one to leave deep gouges in it. The place has been open less than a month. :fuckoff:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

There's a stretch of residential road in Memphis where they installed roundabouts at every intersection to eliminate street racing. It's not uncommon to find a car stuck in the median.

:allears:

Edit: I really did type median - stupid autocorrect

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Those are "traffic calming devices". All in all, they're a little bit better than the neighbourhoods that put giant gently caress-off speedbumps in the middle of the road, but I could do without either one. Apparently it's not just a speed thing, it's also meant to discourage people from driving through those neighbourhoods to avoid other traffic.

I don't think frustrating drivers on purpose is a really good traffic engineering principle, but what do I know?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

Those are "traffic calming devices". All in all, they're a little bit better than the neighbourhoods that put giant gently caress-off speedbumps in the middle of the road, but I could do without either one. Apparently it's not just a speed thing, it's also meant to discourage people from driving through those neighbourhoods to avoid other traffic.

I don't think frustrating drivers on purpose is a really good traffic engineering principle, but what do I know?

I really like them, because I get a little bit of slalom practice or challenge myself to carry a little bit of extra speed through their baby roundabouts.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

PT6A posted:

I don't like that poo poo either, but I can see why they do it. It boils down to the lesser of two evils, really - if it keeps Mr. I'm-late-for-work-gently caress-you-I've-got-a-meeting (and all of his buddies) from going 70mph through neighborhoods to bypass slow / blocked up traffic on the main roads, then it's probably a good thing.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Plus the highcentered cars make an awesome teeter-totter until the tow truck arrives.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 6, 2014

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Seattle has to be extra cautious. We have roundabouts with 4 way stops!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Black88GTA posted:

I don't like that poo poo either, but I can see why they do it. It boils down to the lesser of two evils, really - if it keeps Mr. I'm-late-for-work-gently caress-you-I've-got-a-meeting (and all of his buddies) from going 70mph through neighborhoods to bypass slow / blocked up traffic on the main roads, then it's probably a good thing.

They can go get hosed if the limit is 25 mph but they have bumps that you can't take at 25 mph, though.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

They can go get hosed if the limit is 25 mph but they have bumps that you can't take at 25 mph, though.

IIRC, these speedbumps are hard on a car at the speed limit, but on a motorcycle, are quite fun. By standing on the pegs and keeping my knees soft, it was the closest I ever came to riding over moguls on a sportbike.

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.2393357,-121.845459,104m/data=!3m1!1e3

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

They have bumps you can't take at 5 mph. You'll notice them by all of the gouge marks in it. There isn't a strong set of guidelines for building them, so they sort of eyeball it and make sure the dump truck can make it over afterwards.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The real problem with speedbumps is they only matter if you're driving a car, and one that you give half a gently caress about at that. Yeah, I'm going to slow right down to go over it; the woman in the crossover behind me is going to nearly rear-end me and honk because she sees no problem with cruising over it at speed. The guy in the F-150 is just going to ignore the loving thing like it isn't even there. I'll admit to doing the same thing when I was driving an SUV, mind you -- it's only natural. At least the mini-roundabouts do actually force people to slow down, and apply to all vehicle types equally (though I wonder if large vehicles like moving trucks can successfully negotiate them...).

They were talking about putting speedbumps in my building's parkade to keep people from speeding. The only problem is it's never the guys in Mustangs, or Lotuses, or Corvettes, or S2000s doing the speeding, it's always the giant Lexus SUVs and trucks that won't even notice if you put a speedbump there. I drive the 15 km/h speed limit, and I'm getting tailgated in the parkade by some of these pricks. Luckily, that plan was kiboshed because it would cause structural damage.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I live in a yuppie suburban sprawl hell, and I'll agree with that. People in giant SUV's looovve to dance around the main road blowing stop signs at 40 so they can get to starbucks a couple minutes faster.

Which I find super amusing because it's these same privileged assholes that bitch and complain when someone speeds past their house, putting their precious crotch fruit in danger. Speed limits are only things that other people need to follow, based on my observations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
That's so weird. The road I used to take to work has a series of "speed humps" that I would take at 30-35 mph in my car (suspension would start to bottom out around 40), along with most everyone else in a car. The people in the trucks and SUVs were the ones slowing down to 10 mph to go over them. And the old people, of course.