Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

LimitedReagent posted:

Thanks Fish that does clear things up.

When/where is the Lurker getting a printed version?

Ryven, ASH LAW, and myself are working on a Monster Hunter-esqe setting which includes two brand new classes (the Juggernaut the Dreadnought), new content for the Lurker along with tweaks for the class as a whole, the completed Defender. Captain Walker is also contributing the final draft of the Seeker. It will also include fifteen new races and a new mechanic similar to 4e Themes. The complete setting book is a ways off but we'll be playtesting it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

-Fish- posted:

Ryven, ASH LAW, and myself are working on a Monster Hunter-esqe setting which includes two brand new classes (the Juggernaut the Dreadnought), new content for the Lurker along with tweaks for the class as a whole, the completed Defender. Captain Walker is also contributing the final draft of the Seeker. It will also include fifteen new races and a new mechanic similar to 4e Themes. The complete setting book is a ways off but we'll be playtesting it a lot.
Will this just be new classes/races or also include MHish content like sandbox ecology and monster crafting and weapon types?

Jackard fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 27, 2014

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Jackard posted:

Will this just be new classes/races or also include MHish content like sandbox ecology and monster crafting and weapon types?

It's going to be a full setting, including mechanics for exploration and discovery of lands beyond your tiny village, as well as new icons. Monster Hunter style "monster loot" will be a thing. I'll talk more about the setting later. Just sat down to dinner.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Just got back from Cincinnati and winding down by writing up a couple paragraphs about the setting. Here's the basic details about the setting in progress.

So the setting is post-apocalyptic, although not in a "nuclear wasteland" fashion and more of a "fall of Rome" kind. The setting is not a desert but is instead a temperate climate and primarily a forested region. A plague swept the land that turned all but the lowliest apprentice mages and clerics into ravening monsters, destroying almost all higher knowledge regarding divine and arcane magic.

To make matters worse the spirit of the planet got all riled up by this and basically said "I'm sick of putting up with these humans' bullshit" and gave sentience to the land of this country, forming a sentient forest known as the Greenwood. Between the ravages of the former masters of magic and the warlike woods the remnants of humanity have been driven back into the dark ages, and the setting focuses on a smattering of small towns and villages a few generations later.

Arcane and Divine power and lore are minimal, handed down by apprentices and novices as they were the only ones untouched by the plague which broke the minds of their masters. Beings like Druids are hated and mistrusted, feared as being potential allies to or agents of the forces of the Greenwood. You can still play as a mage, cleric, or druid; but there will be certain roleplaying expectations and means laid out in the book as far as how to address them are concerned. Nothing severe, we're not interested in punishing players for playing a concept they like.

The players are the heroes of their little hamlets; hunters. All but the most domesticated of animals have become bestial paleolithic brutes under the twisted influence of the Greenwood (or worse) and none have much of a tolerance for humans and their like. The monsters in the book will have a list of useful loot; not magic swords and rings but rather particularly resilient tendons, horns which when powdered have medicinal properties, etc. Beyond hunting and gathering they protect their towns from the dark powers of the Greenwood, ever bent on protecting the earth by wiping the plague of humanity off the globe.

Also one of the races is a bugpeople because I love Thri Kreen.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Actually this interests me more than Glorantha -- its basically an extreme 4E 'Points of Light'

But in that sort of setting, how will you deal with Icons?

Jackard fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 28, 2014

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Jackard posted:

Actually this interests me more than Glorantha -- its basically an extreme 4E 'Points of Light'

But in that sort of setting, how will you deal with Icons?

Icons will be different named factions and political groups in the society. There will be about three large cities that are still known to each other and several villages, plenty of room for icons. We haven't gotten down to this level of detail yet though so I can't provide any examples.

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me

-Fish- posted:

Monster Hunter-esque Low Magic Setting

I personally am already heavily swayed to this setting, and will probably never get to play in it since I don't know anyone else who appreciates MH, or has even read into 13th Age yet.

Also a question regarding the Lurker and other classes that take penalties for wearing heavy armor - is there any way to remove that penalty? A feat or such, the equivalent of heavy armor proficiency? I like playing heavily armored classes in flavor, and was wondering if there was a way to do so for some of the 13th Age classes without eating a penalty, or having to reflavour armor.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Ambi posted:

I personally am already heavily swayed to this setting, and will probably never get to play in it since I don't know anyone else who appreciates MH, or has even read into 13th Age yet.

Also a question regarding the Lurker and other classes that take penalties for wearing heavy armor - is there any way to remove that penalty? A feat or such, the equivalent of heavy armor proficiency? I like playing heavily armored classes in flavor, and was wondering if there was a way to do so for some of the 13th Age classes without eating a penalty, or having to reflavour armor.

Just don't mention the Monster Hunter games when describing it to people. The similarities to MH came up organically during the design talk and at some point one of us said "Guys we just wrote Monster Hunter : The Setting". Ryven and I had a similar revelation when we got the basic structure of the Juggernaut and Dreadnought. "Umm, Ryven. These classes we just built are Nightmare and Astaroth from Soul Calibur."
Instead of focusing on the Monster Hunter aspects, focus your pitch on the post apocalyptic nature of the setting, the heavy man vs nature aspects, and the brutal martial-centric nature. Or if your friends like playing casters pitch them that they can be the first of a new generation of casters, rediscovering a forgotten art.

For some classes there's a talent that removes the penalty for wielding heavy armor or heavy weapons, the Eldcaller and the Eldritch Knight come to mind immediately. The Lurker specifically doesn't include such a talent, the Lurker is already pretty high up on the spectrum of power and utility. Giving it access to the stat benefits from heavy armor would unquestionably make it a broken class.

For the Lurker you're stuck with the penalty RP refluff, but that's not all bad. You can work that into your Vampiric Might or Enon Smithing feature depending on which you took. The enhanced strength of Vampiric Might gives you the ability to easily move in plate armor, although said armor has to be designed to maximize your agility and doesn't provide a significant boon to your armor class. The dark abilities of Ebon Smithing could let you bind shadowy masses to your body in solid form. I can't speak for other DM's but I actually prefer when players do something like that to get things they want in their character's description. It gives the character another aspect that I can remember when cobbling together loot and story hooks for my players.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
I'm having a lot of fun playing a Lurker in a campaign I'm in. Basically I decided to make a crimeboss bogeyman and she still feeds on fear, so she acts kind of like a Halloweentown character. Last session she took off her head and played hackey-sack with it and when we were actually doing stuff, she crawstepped behind a bunch of demons stealthily, stole their statue, and then crawstepped back to the rest of the party.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Oh yeah, my wife set up a form where you can sign up to playtest the material for the new setting. First round of playtesting will be starting in 2-4 weeks.

For some reason it doesn't load right on phones unless you view it in desktop mode.

http://starglitchgames.tumblr.com/post/98474453468/sign-up

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

-Fish- posted:

The monsters in the book will have a list of useful loot; not magic swords and rings but rather particularly resilient tendons, horns which when powdered have medicinal properties, etc.

Please tell me that there will be rules for turning monster parts into weapons and armor.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Please tell me that there will be rules for turning monster parts into weapons and armor.

I don't think that's something we have discussed in specific, but at least a few of the monsters will likely include such rules.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

-Fish- posted:

Oh yeah, my wife set up a form where you can sign up to playtest the material for the new setting. First round of playtesting will be starting in 2-4 weeks.

For some reason it doesn't load right on phones unless you view it in desktop mode.

Signed up. Did you bring up Eldrich Knight earlier as just an example, or are you planning to work that into the setting too?
e. I had a feeling that was the case.

MelvinBison fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 28, 2014

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Just an example, we don't currently have any plans to include the Eldritch Knight or any contact with its creator.

Edit: The Eldritch Knight is too explicitly magical to fit in alongside the other classes included in the setting.

-Fish- fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 28, 2014

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

-Fish- posted:

That's funny, think I already signed up for that when someone posted it on Google Plus. Did you get my contact info?

https://plus.google.com/113277971829057891115/posts/FJ9t8qPkVA5

Jackard fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 28, 2014

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Jackard posted:

That's funny, think I already signed up for that when someone posted it on Google Plus.

https://plus.google.com/113277971829057891115/posts/FJ9t8qPkVA5

That would be my wife, she set the thing up.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

-Fish- posted:

It gives me a URL not found when I follow the link.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Loki_XLII posted:

It gives me a URL not found when I follow the link.

Should now be available on all pages of http://starglitchgames.tumblr.com/

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
You should add a post saying what the material is or who you are or something; when I first saw the playtest link come over the 13th Age twitter I didn't sign up because there was absolutely no indication of what the material was about.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Thanks for the heads-up, there's a new post on the Tumblr describing the basics of the setting, races, and classes.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

The Idle Red Hands podcast interviewed Rob Heinsoo and Jeff Richard about 13th Age in Glorantha. Some highlights:

Glorantha fans have asked if they can play Mistress Race trolls, who've been alive since the time of the gods. The approach Rob is tinkering with: You start as a small, weak Trollkin PC. After a few levels, you're eaten by a Dark Troll PC. After a few levels, a Mistress Race troll eats that PC, and hey! Now you're playing a Mistress Race troll!

Sorcerers are much more Gloranthan than wizards, so in this book they get the love that sorc players have been wanting. Wizards already have enough cool stuff.

There's plans for a dedicated healer class variant.

There will be guidance on mapping Gloranthan gods to 13th Age icons, so you can use 13G's god-specific class abilities in the Dragon Empire as abilities tied to the icons. (Rob says that since the first playtest, people have asked him for icon-specific feats and powers. This project gives him a perfect opportunity to do them.)

They aren't going to bring RuneQuest or HeroQuest mechanics to 13th Age. When you play 13G, you're playing 13th Age.

Hardcore Glorantha fans have been playing RQ and HQ all these years, not D&D; so this is going to bring a new audience into d20 gaming.

13G's Gloranthan myth-crawling (heroquesting) can be used in the Dragon Empire setting to "dungeon crawl" within the legends of the icons in previous Ages.

Fire Opal and Moon Design want to do a 13G adventure pack, including a Snakepipe Hollow dungeon crawl.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

My friends and I are just starting a new 13th Age game, and it looks like I'm the designated GM. I was browsing the books for ideas and I'm quite taken with the idea of a campaign of largely episodic adventures (I'll probably end up cribbing a lot of stuff from Tales of the 13th age) with an overarching plot concerning the Deck of Dread alluded to in 13 True Ways.

I like the idea of concluding a lot of the 'episodic' adventures with the discovery of a card that either refers back to the just-completed events or foreshadows future ones, but I don't have much of an idea of where, if anywhere collecting the whole set could possibly lead. Anyone have any advice or experience with doing this sort of thing?

(To clarify, if I went ahead with this I would only present the cards to a character without comment unless the party decided to look into them.)

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

-Fish- posted:

I am really curious about the playtest, but I am not sure if I should sign up since I only ever play PbP and I am not sure if the playtest stuff would be allowed to be used online.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Ryuujin posted:

I am really curious about the playtest, but I am not sure if I should sign up since I only ever play PbP and I am not sure if the playtest stuff would be allowed to be used online.

There's going to be some manner of NDA involved in playtesting before we send out any material. If you can do PbP without breaking the NDA then go for it! The terms of the NDA aren't laid out yet, but we'll see if we can work that out somehow. No guarantees though, can't stress that enough.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I already successfully lobbied in my group for "yes", but figured I post it anyway: Does Overworld Lineage's switching of Wisdom and Charisma also count for which goes towards determining AC? Or more generally, do defenses count as a "class element" or are they a general game rule?

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

PublicOpinion posted:

I already successfully lobbied in my group for "yes", but figured I post it anyway: Does Overworld Lineage's switching of Wisdom and Charisma also count for which goes towards determining AC? Or more generally, do defenses count as a "class element" or are they a general game rule?

My understanding of it is that the median of Dex/Con/Wis to AC is the general rule and not really a class specific element. That having been said, I don't think it'd break anything.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Well, what would you do for MD then? Middle of Int/Cha/Cha? That seems really weird, and makes it way too easy to get a high MD.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Flame112 posted:

Well, what would you do for MD then? Middle of Int/Cha/Cha? That seems really weird, and makes it way too easy to get a high MD.

MD should remain unaffected by that kind of rule, as it already takes variances in both scores into account.

Dec 26, 2012

Flame112 posted:

Most likely you would treat it as a switch rather than an overwrite, such that median of Int/Wis/Cha and Int/Cha/Wis are the same.

Earthorn
Jul 18, 2012

Ratpick posted:

My understanding of it is that the median of Dex/Con/Wis to AC is the general rule and not really a class specific element. That having been said, I don't think it'd break anything.

Back in the 13A playtest, when the monk had a strength-for-dex talent, the developers specifically stated (in the playtest doc itself iirc) that the swap didn't apply to AC.

Edit: And as you said, not really gamebreaking-- you're basically refluffing the character's "wisdom" as "charisma," IMO.

Earthorn fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Oct 2, 2014

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
I got my 13 true ways book last week, and I'm starting Shadow Port Scuffle at my uni's game club.
Character list:

Flower McGrumble: Dwarven missionary seduced by the teachings of the high druid. Very anti-empire. OUT: Has a key passed down in his family for generation, has no idea what it unlocks, but it's something big.

A Chaos mage with the OUT "Chaos makes me happy and safe"

A high elf wizard who is secretly half orc and does everything to hide this fact.

An elven wizard/commander prophesied by the Great Gold Wyrm to save elvenkind. Extremely vain and proud.

And Björn, the bear druid who can turn into a human. Has the backgrounds "Bear +5" and "Human Interest +3"

This is gonna be great. :allears:

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Cathulhu posted:

And Björn, the bear druid who can turn into a human. Has the backgrounds "Bear +5" and "Human Interest +3"

I played a similar character, except his name was Herc Grumbles and he was a bear polymorphed into a human by an evil Wizard. He spent as much in bear form as possible, and took Wild Healer as his secondary talent along with the Ritual feat with plans to eventually "heal" himself back into bear form permanently.

His bear background was the same idea, just named "A Goddamned Bear +5."

If he's half as fun as that character was for me, you're in for a treat.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
We had a bear barb. :yaycloud:

mkill
Oct 4, 2014
Hi everyone... I finally became a goon too. You've probably seen my stuff on the vault (*), so ask me anything.

(*) Warlock, Disciple of 9 Swords, flexible Ranger, Diablo II conversions, Aeon Summoner, Bladesinger, Talislanta races ...

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Golden Bee posted:

We had a bear barb. :yaycloud:

You mean a barbearian? :haw:

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Tsilkani posted:

You mean a barbearian? :haw:

This is the real reason I stopped playing him. I got sick of that pun constantly.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

djw175 posted:

This is the real reason I stopped playing him. I got sick of that pun constantly.

Our bear/boar/poodle chimera's player wrote that down as their class.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Speaking of people with animal-related backgrounds: the one time I ran 13th Age one of the players decided that she'd rather play her Ranger's boar companion, so basically the boar was her character who was telepathically controlling the Ranger. That was pretty sweet.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
I actually had a gnome necromancer in my OP game accidentally (1's are a bitch) unholy blast his skeletal minion into dust. So instead of resummoning it, once the party had defeated it's troll opponent, he stripped the corpse clean, reanimated it as his new skeletal companion and climbed inside to use it "Like Ripley and the power armor in Aliens."

Kenderama fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mkill
Oct 4, 2014
Well, it is called Exoskeleton for a reason.