Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013

HiveCommander posted:

New and bad at FF14, how many goons are on Tonberry? Krursk dragged me into the game a few days ago so I'm still levelling up. Zenith Arudite is my character name if you're on Tonberry as well.

Semi-related, Krursk's guide to character creation:

Little late, but I'm on Tonberry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
At the end of the day, just remember you're arguing over bits of internet data that in the end is inconsequential once the next patch/expansion lands.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Chairman posted:

Oh my god nobody cares about your thrilling atma opinions

Clearly.

jwang posted:

At the end of the day, just remember you're arguing over bits of internet data that in the end is inconsequential once the next patch/expansion lands.

I'm gonna laugh hard if the relic quest stuff in 3.0 is completely new and doesn't take anything from the current stuff into consideration. Laugh/cry, anyway.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
I got like three scorpion atmas tonight in a fifteen minute time span, hope this helps.

e: i wasn't even trying to get them

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I just nearly had my first dungeon failure. I was doing my daily Low Level Roulette as my Level 39 Paladin, expecting another run through Tam-Tara or Halatali, but I ended up in Cutter's Cry, which I had never done before, and my first dungeon where I wasn't being Level Synced under 25. My party wiped a good 3-4 times against the Chimera, mostly due to what I am sure was my poor tanksmanship. I figured out some of the things I was doing wrong along the way, and we were able to clear it with ~10 minutes to spare, but I still was having lots of difficulty dodging the Breath AoE, and more importantly, disengaging from the Chimera and running away fast enough when its eyes turned blue. I think the regular weekend lag at my apartment complex played some part, but basically the entire time I've been playing, I've had difficulty running away from mob-centered AoE, whether it be Goblin bomb tosses or Bomb Self-Destructs or what have you. Part of my issue is that I instinctively go for the 'S' key when this happens, and backwards movement is terribly slow, or I'll be locked on to the enemy and moving side-to-side or forward just has me rotate or get closer to the mob. The only success I have seems to be when I turn off the target lock, stand as far away from the mob as I can while still being able to hit it, then rotating the camera and moving forward when the time comes. Still, my chances of being hit by the Chimera's blue attack were 50/50, and our success only came with a lucky streak. Is there anything I can do to make this easier besides :gitgud:? Some sort of configuration to speed up backwards movement or something?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

The Chairman posted:

Oh my god nobody cares about your thrilling atma opinions, do it if you like it, don't if you don't, nobody is going to read your impassioned defense of getting/not bothering with atma and be like "wow, that person is so right, my opinion was fundamentally wrong and I will stop farming atma/farm up a set right now"

Nexus weapons are i115, HA weapons are i115. There's multiple content paths and shouting the same two arguments ("it's random!" "it's easy!" "it's random!" "it's easy!") at each other for the past 6 months is just making me pull out my hair at this point

They should really nerf atmas though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Klungar posted:

Part of my issue is that I instinctively go for the 'S' key when this happens, and backwards movement is terribly slow, or I'll be locked on to the enemy and moving side-to-side or forward just has me rotate or get closer to the mob.

Change to legacy movement in character settings.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Klungar posted:

I just nearly had my first dungeon failure. I was doing my daily Low Level Roulette as my Level 39 Paladin, expecting another run through Tam-Tara or Halatali, but I ended up in Cutter's Cry, which I had never done before, and my first dungeon where I wasn't being Level Synced under 25. My party wiped a good 3-4 times against the Chimera, mostly due to what I am sure was my poor tanksmanship. I figured out some of the things I was doing wrong along the way, and we were able to clear it with ~10 minutes to spare, but I still was having lots of difficulty dodging the Breath AoE, and more importantly, disengaging from the Chimera and running away fast enough when its eyes turned blue. I think the regular weekend lag at my apartment complex played some part, but basically the entire time I've been playing, I've had difficulty running away from mob-centered AoE, whether it be Goblin bomb tosses or Bomb Self-Destructs or what have you. Part of my issue is that I instinctively go for the 'S' key when this happens, and backwards movement is terribly slow, or I'll be locked on to the enemy and moving side-to-side or forward just has me rotate or get closer to the mob. The only success I have seems to be when I turn off the target lock, stand as far away from the mob as I can while still being able to hit it, then rotating the camera and moving forward when the time comes. Still, my chances of being hit by the Chimera's blue attack were 50/50, and our success only came with a lucky streak. Is there anything I can do to make this easier besides :gitgud:? Some sort of configuration to speed up backwards movement or something?

Character Configuration - Control Settings - General - select Legacy Type and check the maintain camera distance option. Also under Target, make sure "Automatically face target when using action" is enabled.

Once you get used to it, it will feel so much better, trust me.

(Though why are you using lock-on as a KB/M player? That's intended for controller players.)

e: dammit kirby :argh:

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
O Spirits of Fury and Freedom, Soar upon the skies, and release thy shackles! Limit Break: EBONY HURRICANE!!!!! <se.7>

that is all

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

SpaceDrake posted:

(Though why are you using lock-on as a KB/M player? That's intended for controller players.)

I liked using it for easily avoiding Conal AoEs, as well as quickly getting into Rear/Flank position for when I'm running DPS classes.

I'm totally brain wiped from that Cutter's Cry run, but I'll try both of your suggestions tomorrow, thanks!

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I macroed Limit Break to do the full SHINING FINGER SWORD speech. I regret nothing.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

e: dammit kirby :argh:

:v:

To be fair, you were a little more concise!

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Thumbtacks posted:

I macroed Limit Break to do the full SHINING FINGER SWORD speech. I regret nothing.

So long as this is done with limit 3, this is acceptable, because you literally do shining finger the enemy

Lori posted:

O Spirits of Fury and Freedom, Soar upon the skies, and release thy shackles! Limit Break: EBONY HURRICANE!!!!! <se.7>

that is all

I dunno what this is tho, none of the limits are called Ebony Hurricane. :colbert:

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

The Chairman posted:

Oh my god nobody cares about your thrilling atma opinions, do it if you like it, don't if you don't, nobody is going to read your impassioned defense of getting/not bothering with atma and be like "wow, that person is so right, my opinion was fundamentally wrong and I will stop farming atma/farm up a set right now"

Nexus weapons are i115, HA weapons are i115. There's multiple content paths and shouting the same two arguments ("it's random!" "it's easy!" "it's random!" "it's easy!") at each other for the past 6 months is just making me pull out my hair at this point

I am of the personal opinion that atmas are too mauve.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Like 200 posts and I assumed it was either Atma or the 2.4 trailer

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Still trying to unlock a monocle or something..

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Man I can't BELIEVE Manderville's not in Curtain Call.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

At this point namedropping Zoe Quinn in Mor Dhona seems more productive than Atma discussion; everyone had exhaustively restated their opinion like ten times and I really don't think anyone is going to change anyone elses' opinions at this point, just let it be.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

A Steampunk Gent posted:

namedropping Zoe Quinn in Mor Dhona

This always gets a laugh out of me.

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

A Steampunk Gent posted:

namedropping Zoe Quinn in Mor Dhona

God drat it, I've been trying randomly in this and other games with Anita Sarkeesian but only got someone to bite once. :(

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Rei_ posted:

Man I can't BELIEVE Manderville's not in Curtain Call.
Bet money he will be eventually.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I beat the system

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Pierson posted:

Bet money he will be eventually.

Not in Curtain Call. Pretty sure all the DLC that will be available has already been released in Japan, and it didn't add any additional Final Fantasy XIV characters.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
They're seriously done with DLC for Curtain Call already? That game seems tailor-fuckin'-made for endlessm endless rounds of DLC as they release every Squaresoft song and character ever. That's a little disappointing, actually.

VVV THEY BETTER I won't be happy until I can play as the most obscure character, on a track heard maybe once on an FF bootleg.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 4, 2014

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

They mentioned that Curtain Call was going to become a platform type game so I'm pretty sure they'll keep making DLC for it.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SpaceDrake posted:

I'm a controller player, and I avoid using lock-on on any enemy with an all-around AoE for the same reason he does: it makes it easy to fumble the unlock and then you eat an AoE you couldn't back away from fast enough. I have no idea how much autoattack DPS I lose by relying on auto-face to keep me pointed at the enemy, though. And of course I always lock when playing Archer because it isn't like they care about AoEs ever.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Thundarr posted:

I'm a controller player, and I avoid using lock-on on any enemy with an all-around AoE for the same reason he does: it makes it easy to fumble the unlock and then you eat an AoE you couldn't back away from fast enough. I have no idea how much autoattack DPS I lose by relying on auto-face to keep me pointed at the enemy, though. And of course I always lock when playing Archer because it isn't like they care about AoEs ever.

I'm a controller player as well, and I'm glad it was easy for me to simply get used to not using lock-on at all, because Monster Hunter is a great game series.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

Cao Ni Ma posted:

They mentioned that Curtain Call was going to become a platform type game so I'm pretty sure they'll keep making DLC for it.

I hope so. I put in my Nintendo survey thing that I'd buy all the XIV DLC they wanted to shovel my way. With how good most of the Primal songs are, they at least deserve to be in there.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
I'll believe it when I see it. They put out 10 DLC packs for Japan, one every two weeks. The last one came out at the end of August and they haven't released any additional DLC since then. In those packs, the only track from FFXIV is Good King Moggle Mog.

I suppose they might release another DLC pack of FFXIV music when the expansion is released because it sounds like they intend to only release new DLC with the launch of new Final Fantasy games, but again, I'll believe that when it actually happens.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Curtain Call raid content, take six friends on a musical journey through Thunderer looping for 15 minutes. Oh god Twisters everyone draw a circle DRAW A CIRCLE gently caress

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
To be fair if they were only gonna release one 14 song they picked the right one!

I post in this thread to procrastinate from the Animus books I should be doing.

edit; oh hey look at those dates Rei_ we've been on this site way too loving long

Pierson fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 4, 2014

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

I'm getting myth so fast now it's crazy. My mentality used to be "I ran out of gear to spend myth on in this class, time to raise another 50", but my bard isn't even at 43 and I've bought him a full set of i90 gear. At this rate I'll have two more full sets before I get one of my last three combat classes up. Can't wait for the weekly soldiery limit to be lifted so I can get a third class near i100.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Ifrit ex with 2 healers without swift cast :/

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

theultimo posted:

Ifrit ex with 2 healers without swift cast :/

I wouldn't go into anything EX without Swiftcast+Raise.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
More T9 clear attempts: http://www.twitch.tv/pksage/

edit: 18% health! Shoutouts to the goons that came in to cheer us on and offer advice, you guys rock.

pksage fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 5, 2014

Boss Man Bing
Sep 10, 2014

it's Gaelic for "thy turkey is done"
Basically the Mog Station is being an rear end in a top hat and won't let me buy a month's sub. So, if I want to play I have to buy a time card.

If I buy the 60days of time, there will be people to play with yes? I won't have to run around by myself for two months will I? :ghost:

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Boss Man Bing posted:

Basically the Mog Station is being an rear end in a top hat and won't let me buy a month's sub. So, if I want to play I have to buy a time card.

If I buy the 60days of time, there will be people to play with yes? I won't have to run around by myself for two months will I? :ghost:

There are hundreds of goons playing on Excalibur and there's a huge patch in the next month or so that will undoubtedly draw back more and encourage people to play even more. So no you will not be playing in a ghost town.

Boss Man Bing
Sep 10, 2014

it's Gaelic for "thy turkey is done"

FaintlyQuaint posted:

There are hundreds of goons playing on Excalibur and there's a huge patch in the next month or so that will undoubtedly draw back more and encourage people to play even more. So no you will not be playing in a ghost town.

Excellent, I didn't even know about the patch. Thanks, this is exactly what I wanted to hear.

Here I come, then! :sparkles:

Well, if the code ever comes to my email, that is. impatience

Boss Man Bing fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 5, 2014

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
So I'm trying to get my nephew set up. I installed the game on his laptop and was able to log in and play on my account, but I think I need to buy the game for his account.

Can I buy the game and a 60 day card all in steam and gift them to him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Mr. Nice! posted:

So I'm trying to get my nephew set up. I installed the game on his laptop and was able to log in and play on my account, but I think I need to buy the game for his account.

Can I buy the game and a 60 day card all in steam and gift them to him?

I'm not sure about the time card, but you can buy them digitally via the Square Enix Store then just send him the code.

• Locked thread