Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

InediblePenguin posted:

how is your response in any way relevant to somebody stating that you can't live comfortably on $10 an hour in loving NYC, much less so relevant that it needs to start with "hey now" like you're refuting somebody who made a dangerous assertion

I'm not refuting it? Like at all? I'm stating that even at "above minimum wage" I'm still struggling to meet even a bare minimum of self sufficiency in the same area that the original post is referring to? And even then it requires help from both multiple roommates and some supplemental help from my family?

gently caress, I'd love to make $11.50 an hour. I'm actually about to say "to hell with this" and take a job working phones at a friends place of work because they pay their temps $13.50 an hour. And the average worker there is literally a high school drop out who manages to show up for all of training and stick around for 6 months. While I have 4+ years experience designing high level mechanical systems and my current project is a literally an ISS based cosmic ray detector where I have designed several aspects of the payload and helped manage the production and fabricated many of the parts. All because everyone I try to get a job with wants 10+ years and a PHD and a reference from the dean of whatever the gently caress. Meanwhile I am at the point where I can't suffer for 5+ more years and actually survive in my field so I have to choose between moving home and having no job or giving up the 4 years of experience I do have and just going to a random loving job that somehow manages to pay people with literally no experience 35% more.

Basically what I'm saying is you hit a nerve and you should go gently caress yourself and die from a ruptured colon in a shallow grave.

EDIT: Also before anyone cries "crab mentality" over my comments about the quality of worker at the other place I may be gravitating towards: I'm not saying they should make less, I'm saying that I should be making more at my current job.

Crain has a new favorite as of 07:24 on Oct 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
well gently caress me i apologize for my poo poo reading comprehension then

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.
What the gently caress is wrong with your country? I was making $17 an hour working at McDonald's, for Christ's sake.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

All on Black posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with your country? I was making $17 an hour working at McDonald's, for Christ's sake.

Capitalism.

But I assume you're in Australia, so you'll know what it's like soon enough.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

All on Black posted:

Hey, we're working on it. For instance, a bold step forward in workers' rights occurred seven or eight years ago at Southern Illinois University Carbondale, where the graduate assistants formed a union. They really had it rough before then, being contracted employees that are nearly impossible to fire, only getting paid $2,000 a month, and having their tuition costs waived. If we can fix stuff like that, it won't be long before we sort out this minimum wage thing.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

Kavak posted:

Capitalism.

But I assume you're in Australia, so you'll know what it's like soon enough.

The man-ape hungers for your unions and social benefits australia

SpliffClavin
Jul 31, 2007

oh geez rick
You will laugh so. hard. at these pictures of food.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
You've gotten very cynical, Cliff :( Have a beer.

CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

* Juciano makes the best damned Caesar dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

SpliffClavin posted:

You will laugh so. hard. at these pictures of food.

Hyperbole is the worst thing ever.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Better lock down the funny pictures thread here in PYF, I think there might be some innocuous images in there too.

SpliffClavin
Jul 31, 2007

oh geez rick

mng posted:

You've gotten very cynical, Cliff :( Have a beer.

I just think the click-baits are really starting to reach.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

35 Outrageous Clickbait Article Titles You'll Hate More Than Anything Ever, Seriously!
You won't believe what happens next.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

35 Outrageous Clickbait Article Titles You'll Hate More Than Anything Ever, Seriously!
You won't believe what happens next.

Goons hate them!

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

SpliffClavin posted:

Is increasing the earnings and happiness of thousands of people really worth having to pay 5 cents more for a can of soup? Soup is already like $1.75!

Ha! Please, it's more like millions of people who work near minimum wage, it's ridiculous. You're point is still great though.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

:nyd:

:nyd: :nyd:

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
I was once recommended at the bottom of an article "22 stars who have severe illnesses."

What kind of sociopath do they think I am?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Shelf Adventure posted:

I was once recommended at the bottom of an article "22 stars who have severe illnesses."

6 Types of Sociopath We Think Shelf Adventure Is

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Shelf Adventure posted:

Poor betelgeuse.

That's seriously how I read that sentence the first time. Don't look at me, I've been awake for 30 hours now.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Teddybear posted:

6 Types of Sociopath We Think Shelf Adventure Is

You won't believe what we found in his search history!

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
More Adam Baldwin:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

What hard proof do we have that Adam Baldwin doesn't want Ebola in America?

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

Moatman posted:

More Adam Baldwin:

He's trying so hard to be relevant. It's so cute. :allears:

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

This is awesome your friends are loving insane walking drama bombs

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Well that escalated... not even quickly? Just immediately went into straight up "fukken oval office" territory.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

It's pretty funny to look at if the two barely know each other, but they probably know each other through a mutual friend or something boring like that.

e: Friend of a friend loves her holistic and alternative-medicine-that-proves-to-be-actual medicine. From about 1914 I guess.

old bean factory has a new favorite as of 23:17 on Oct 4, 2014

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I really want someone to make a Clickhole style site just for conspiracy stuff because it would be hilarious.

TOP TEN ACTORS WHO ARE SECRET REPTILIANS
DOES THE 1% REALLY CONTROL THE WORLD IF THEY ARE IN FACT CONTROLLED BY THE JEWISH BANKING CARTEL
5 PEOPLE LIBERALS LOVE WHO TOOK BACK EVERYTHING LIBERAL THEY EVER SAID ON THEIR DEATHBED IN ORDER TO MAKE GOOD WITH JESUS (NICE TRY DARWIN)

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

What's wrong with things being discovered recently? You are posting this using a loving computer!

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Praseodymi posted:

What's wrong with things being discovered recently? You are posting this using a loving computer!

how many sniffles have a computer cured? :colbert: Just loving eat this gallon of honey and you'll be cured of <x>

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

mng posted:

how many sniffles have a computer cured? :colbert: Just loving eat this gallon of honey and you'll be cured of <x>

I can't even begin to image the insane shits that would give you.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Statutory rape is fine as long as the rapist is attractive :downs:

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Crain posted:

You would probably be dead from diabetes long before the shits became à concern.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

SybilVimes posted:

You would probably be dead from diabetes long before the shits became à concern.

But all you need to do to cure diabetes is like a dozen cloves of garlic or something. One Simple Trick Big Insulin Doesn't Want You To Know!

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

I don't see how taking sage extract is going to help with my toilet clogging. Do I just pour it in there like Drano?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

mng posted:

e: Friend of a friend loves her holistic and alternative-medicine-that-proves-to-be-actual medicine. From about 1914 I guess.

I've got a couple of these in my family, as well as a few friends who are like this, and it usually shuts them up once you talk about the human mortality rate before modern medicine. There's a reason we moved beyond 'alternative' medicine, and it's because it didn't really work that well for our survivability.

Of course common sense is usually not very powerful against this sort of thought, so if you're really in the mood to really curb this talk it helps to loop in your own brand of crazy and extend the human mortality argument further; start accusing them of wanting to cull the population by spreading ignorance that leads to death. Things 'holistic' people don't like to think of themselves as: eugenicists. They might think you are nuts but at least you never hear this crap again.

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 01:20 on Oct 5, 2014

Boob Dylan
Jan 3, 2013

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Post Your Favorite (or Request) > Idiots on Social Media: it's the law that is doing the real raping in some of these cases

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Crain posted:

Just take sage extract, it minimizes the amount of flushes you get.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
There is some minor value to herbs. Emphasis on some. Nearly all of the herbal supplements that people take won't do poo poo, and of those that do, they will have a very weak effect or even hurt you. However, there are a lot of useful medicines that have been derived from plants by scientists over the years. For example, aspirin came from willows, digitalin came from foxgloves, and paclitaxel came from yews. However, nothing is going to happen if you try to bite a willow or a yew, except maybe ruining your teeth on the bark, and you will die a horrible heart-related death if you try to consume a foxglove.

There aren't some "weird natural cures that THEY don't want you to know about" being suppressed by Big Pharma. Please do not try to treat yourself with salad.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
So this is a relevant news article. Guy pokes a female friend on facebook. Female friend's boyfriend beats him to death over it.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Sweet, sounds like a new extreme sport for the modern age. Four years sentence, he'll be out in time for FB 2.0.

haha :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

karl fungus posted:

There is some minor value to herbs. Emphasis on some. Nearly all of the herbal supplements that people take won't do poo poo, and of those that do, they will have a very weak effect or even hurt you. However, there are a lot of useful medicines that have been derived from plants by scientists over the years. For example, aspirin came from willows, digitalin came from foxgloves, and paclitaxel came from yews. However, nothing is going to happen if you try to bite a willow or a yew, except maybe ruining your teeth on the bark, and you will die a horrible heart-related death if you try to consume a foxglove.

There aren't some "weird natural cures that THEY don't want you to know about" being suppressed by Big Pharma. Please do not try to treat yourself with salad.

I always thought that was what's so silly about that whole "alternative is better" conceit; when we discover an "alternative" medicine that works really well, we refine it, adopt it for mass production, and it becomes a part of regular medicine. :v:

Edit: Manslaughter? Are you loving kidding me England?

EditEdit: I suppose I could see it if they went with the "The defendant is a huge loving idiot manchild who doesn't understand his own strength, please be lenient" defense.

I Killed GBS has a new favorite as of 03:31 on Oct 5, 2014

• Locked thread