Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I'll pass out the therapy bats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down

EC posted:

Anyone listen to Quality Control, the new podcast from Justin Mceleroy about video game reviews or something? Kind of curious what it's like.

Not a huge polygon fan but i like this idea so I'm on board for now

hngkong
Nov 19, 2003

Woffle posted:

Ok, everyone form a queue and air your WOFF grievances. (hides from Metroid super fans)

Hey, as one of the biggest Metroid fans, I think that Metroid Fusion is the worst Metroid game (barring Other M).

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Dear Kole and Gary:

Please rip God Hand and all the games you play for WOFF a new rear end in a top hat from now on. The amount of butt hurt nerds could potentially surpass the ammount of butt hurt nerds from #gamergate.

Yours truly in pain and misery.

ElMaligno

P.S. If you guys need to escape from an angry horde of grognard neck-beards wielding pitchforks made out of their own frozen tears, my couch is available.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I appreciate the place to sleep (I never know when I'm going to be suddenly homeless) but everyone is being a cooldude about this. Luckily being luke warm about Half-Life hasn't engendered 1/100000 the idiocy of GooberGrape.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Just because something doesn't control like Mario doesn't make it a bad platformer :colbert:

keep on making your cool rear end podcast

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I haven't listened to the Half-Life one yet - I'm a little behind thanks to some kind of screw-up with my podcast program or something - but I like that y'all can be relatively objective about a sacred cow like that game. Also I like listening to a show where I'm not necessarily going to agree with the hosts.

Also:

Woffle posted:

GooberGrape.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

IMO your opinions on Half-Life are cathartic, as I really was not looking forward to this episode initially as I felt the way Gary did already.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Here's some WOFF Love: You guys got me to start playing through Suikoden 2 and it is rad as heck. I'm rolling with my dog bro as often as I can. (However, that did make Greenhill kind of confusing at times)

And Metroid Prime is a great game how dare you, how dare you.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
If anyone doubts the McElroy power over podcasts, Quality Control is apparently number 1 in the charts for video games. With two episodes released.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

hngkong posted:

Hey, as one of the biggest Metroid fans, I think that Metroid Fusion is the worst Metroid game (barring Other M).

I bought and played Fusion for the first time on the WiiU virtual console a couple of months ago and ended up hating it. Having my progress constantly blocked by having to find the exact indistinguishable bit of wall to shoot was infuriating.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Tir McDohl posted:

IMO your opinions on Half-Life are cathartic, as I really was not looking forward to this episode initially as I felt the way Gary did already.

Yeah. I appreciate the tech side of HL, but when I played it at the time, I could not see why people liked it so much. I forced myself to play through it and I absolutely thought it was a mediocre game, and when I see it pop up on best game of all time lists I just feel like Frank Grimes. HL2 actually is one of my favourite games of all time, though, so I don't know how that works.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah. I appreciate the tech side of HL, but when I played it at the time, I could not see why people liked it so much. I forced myself to play through it and I absolutely thought it was a mediocre game, and when I see it pop up on best game of all time lists I just feel like Frank Grimes. HL2 actually is one of my favourite games of all time, though, so I don't know how that works.

I felt Half-Life 2 really dropped the ball on the Combine. They don't really have a threatening presence like the military did. And it's interesting that Half-Life started strong and got weaker while Half-Life 2 started weak and got stronger. As much as everyone hates the long vehicle sections it was great coming across a secluded cottage and seeing the destruction wrought by the Combine using drones and headcrabs as biological missiles.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Woffle posted:

Ok, everyone form a queue and air your WOFF grievances. (hides from Metroid super fans)

Fusion and Prime were some of my favourite games when they came out. WOFF convinced me to hate them, so good job guys.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You shouldn't let others convince you of what not to like just because they don't. If you have fun with it, then that's great!

While I've not listened to that podcast, I can absolutely see why someone who loves Metroid games wouldn't like Fusion as it's way more on-rails than other Metroid games. That said, I love it for the extremely strong platformer it is, even if it doesn't have the huge amount of sequence-breaking most Metroid games have. It also just looks drat nice and has a great soundtrack. Even if I'm getting a little tired of the "oh boy there's a secret Metroid research facility here TOO!" schtick in Metroid games it was done well in this one, had a good plot reason, and the SA-X was a great silent villain/ever-present threat if a bit underutilized.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Oct 4, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

al-azad posted:

I felt Half-Life 2 really dropped the ball on the Combine. They don't really have a threatening presence like the military did. And it's interesting that Half-Life started strong and got weaker while Half-Life 2 started weak and got stronger. As much as everyone hates the long vehicle sections it was great coming across a secluded cottage and seeing the destruction wrought by the Combine using drones and headcrabs as biological missiles.

I actually always loved the vehicle sections. To me, Half-Life 2 is one of the best examples an actual, tangible journey in the entire medium. Moreso than any open world game or whatever, you loving hoof it through miles and miles of terrain and come across all sorts of weird stops and sights along the way. The whole thing totally feels like a weird alien road trip and I wouldn't change any part of it.

Earl Chestnuts
Feb 19, 2013

Song For The Deaf posted:

This week's WOFF! is about Half-Life. I'm really proud of this episode, actually.
http://duckfeed.tv/woff/83

I enjoyed hearing you guys' perspective, as always, but I disagree with your conclusion that it's impossible to be "good" at Half-Life, because I had far less trouble with a lot of the things that annoyed you when I replayed it a couple weeks ago.

Outside of the very early encounters when you only have a shotgun and a pistol, I didn't find the soldiers to be that bullet-spongy, they die in two hits to the magnum, and I always had enough ammo to use it as my primary weapon against them. By the time you reach Surface Tension, you have tons of weapons that either kill them in one hit, or kill them very, very fast.

The encounter with the APC that gave you such a hard time, I managed to beat in a couple tries. Basically, I took advantage of the fact that its turret tracks you really slowly and kind of zig-zagged towards it, until I got behind it, then I jumped on top of the turret, planted a couple det-packs on it, jumped off and detonated them, destroying the APC.

Also, I couldn't believe it when you guys turned your nose at the Gluon Gun, that thing is amazing, it insta-gibs anything it touches, including those ogre-like things. It also sounds fan-frigging-tastic. It's quite possibly one my all-time favorite FPS weapons. Makes Xen just a bit more bearable, for sure.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

EC posted:

Anyone listen to Quality Control, the new podcast from Justin Mceleroy about video game reviews or something? Kind of curious what it's like.

I haven't and will not listen to it but I strongly suspect it's awful, just based on that description.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
It's fine. Nothing special, he just interviews someone who wrote a review on a game about their experiences with that game. The episodes are like twenty minutes long so it's not a big commitment, just don't go in expecting a pinnacle of modern art.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Hakkesshu posted:

I actually always loved the vehicle sections. To me, Half-Life 2 is one of the best examples an actual, tangible journey in the entire medium. Moreso than any open world game or whatever, you loving hoof it through miles and miles of terrain and come across all sorts of weird stops and sights along the way. The whole thing totally feels like a weird alien road trip and I wouldn't change any part of it.
Yeah, I was shocked when I found out a lot of people found the vehicle sections boring because to me that was what made that game so special. It helped create a cohesive world that few other FPS campaigns have even bothered to mimic.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I think Half-Life stumbled more than Half-Life 2. For one, Half-Life 2 didn't have any Xen levels, which automatically makes it better. Looking back at Half-Life 2 you saw the silly physics puzzles and the story barring your way at certain points but overall I think the hype and praise for Half-Life 2 is well-deserved. The gunplay is some of the best in any FPS, even to this day. I still have a soft spot for Half-Life but I don't think it aged as well as the second game.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Half Life 2 also has a really atmospheric world and a lot of restraint about showing it to the player. There aren't a ton of journal entries, audio diaries and NPCs lying around to demystify everything for you, and you only see some of the cooler things in passing or for brief moments, like the humanoid slaves in the tower at the end.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
Quality Control will appeal to those who get annoyed with the round table talk about your day stuff. It's all business, talk about the game, Justin makes some snarky quips, the end. You mileage will probably vary on how much you like Justin's style and the game they are chatting about.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

kuddles posted:

Yeah, I was shocked when I found out a lot of people found the vehicle sections boring because to me that was what made that game so special. It helped create a cohesive world that few other FPS campaigns have even bothered to mimic.

I totally agree with this, the highway section occupies a disproportionately large part of my Half-Life 2 memories because it was so effective in creating this feeling of desolation in me that no other game has really come close to before or since.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Randallteal posted:

Half Life 2 also has a really atmospheric world and a lot of restraint about showing it to the player. There aren't a ton of journal entries, audio diaries and NPCs lying around to demystify everything for you, and you only see some of the cooler things in passing or for brief moments, like the humanoid slaves in the tower at the end.

Or the propaganda posters showing the internals of high-ranking Combine soldiers, or listening to how Overwatch phrases orders to the troops, or Breen's rants, or the 7 Hour War newspaper.

Half-Life 2 is really good you guys.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Too bad there will never be a Half Life 3.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Too bad there will never be a Half Life 3.
I want to say you're wrong, because as I said, HL2 is the ideal version of the kind of FPS I love, and that almost nobody makes anymore.

But I think you're right. Everything Valve has been focused on recently involves it's employees doing whatever they feel like; community engagement; multiplayer with a cooperative component; releasing products early and altering them constantly based on feedback; free to play models that work; reaching out to as many gamers as possible, etc.

Everyone hunkering down for years to work on a single player shooter campaign feels like the last thing they would be interested in.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I’m going to be complete dick about this but mostly because I am sick and tired of certain things I have seen in these forums recently. Everything can be, and should be, criticized. Yes this means that WOFF and HL are not perfect and people can, and should, air their criticism and grievances.

However when you preface your grievance with “Don’t meant to sound like a dick”. Include phrases like “had to switch off after 40 minutes”, “I’m hugely biased”. And don’t address any of the, quite frankly, bland and milquetoast criticism Gary and Kole have about the game you come out a horrible hyperbolic passive-aggressive goony as gently caress person.

What I’m trying to say is that it’s possible and OK to be aggressive and bring constructive criticism to the discussion without being a horrible hyperbolic passive-aggressive goony as gently caress person.

I’m also sick and tired of horrible hyperbolic passive-aggressive goony as gently caress posts, but that’s like my opinion man.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

I’m going to be complete dick about this but mostly because I am sick and tired of certain things I have seen in these forums recently. Everything can be, and should be, criticized. Yes this means that WOFF and HL are not perfect and people can, and should, air their criticism and grievances.

However when you preface your grievance with “Don’t meant to sound like a dick”. Include phrases like “had to switch off after 40 minutes”, “I’m hugely biased”. And don’t address any of the, quite frankly, bland and milquetoast criticism Gary and Kole have about the game you come out a horrible hyperbolic passive-aggressive goony as gently caress person.

What I’m trying to say is that it’s possible and OK to be aggressive and bring constructive criticism to the discussion without being a horrible hyperbolic passive-aggressive goony as gently caress person.

I’m also sick and tired of horrible hyperbolic passive-aggressive goony as gently caress posts, but that’s like my opinion man.

Every comment doesn't need to be an argument. I can say "I disagree" and leave it at that. And video games being the ultra subjective highly interactive format they are you're going to get highly variable opinions from two different people. "The controls in this game are garbage," "No, the controls are great." Conversation over. There are fundamental elements you can raise such as pacing, writing, and the tools the game gives you to succeed and how well it implements them. But there's no argument to be had on a level as simple as one guy succeeding 10% of the time because he couldn't wrap his head around the game's concepts or one guy succeeding 100% of the time because he did.

And being the internet all subtlety gained through body language and tone is lost so there's nothing wrong with prefacing your posts to ensure the person you're talking to that you're discussing their work, not criticizing them as a person. For example: I can't tell if your Big Lebowski reference is meant to be ironic in context with your argument so I'm just going to assume you're unaware that it frames the rest of your post as horrible hyperbolic passive-aggressive and goony as gently caress.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

al-azad posted:

"The controls in this game are garbage," "No, the controls are great." Conversation over.
I'm pretty sure it's possible to quantify why you find controls to be garbage/great and come to some greater understanding through debate!

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

Re: the WoW talk on the most recent Video Games Hotdong: Zach seemed baffled by Cataclysm's poor reputation. One thing to note is that when most people talk about how much Cataclysm sucked, they're rarely if ever talking about the revamped old world -- which was great and sorely needed -- they're talking about the max-level content, which was uneven and suffered from baffling design decisions. Unfair as it may be, the two halves of the expansion are effectively judged separately depending on where you're coming from as a player: leveler or endgame delver.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Akuma posted:

I'm pretty sure it's possible to quantify why you find controls to be garbage/great and come to some greater understanding through debate!

In certain circumstances but a lot of video game criticism comes down to hazy descriptors like "floaty" and "tight" and things people normally brush off as cliches. Sometimes it's the fault of an unimaginative reviewer but often these are things based on experience that you can't quantify. Going back to my Oddworld example, a criticism was that the character would sometimes miss a jump even though you're pressing the jump button. My rebuttal is that the character has to complete a full animation cycle before jumping because of the grid-based design. If you're moving before you jump you have to complete that full movement much like the original Tomb Raider games.

So what can be argued here? Oddworld has objectively bad controls? But within the constraints of the design it works flawlessly if you have your timing down. Do the people who can't internalize the timing have priority over the people who do? What more can be argued here?

I just want to stress that you don't have to be "aggressive" to have legitimate criticism. If people have a problem with perceived passive-aggressiveness then I have a problem with vitriolic aggressiveness. There's this idea among some internet folks that you can't make your point without tearing it a new rear end in a top hat. A kind of Angry Video Game Nerd stance where every element is taken individually and placed on the chopping block when video games and art in general are about the summation of their ideas into a working whole. I find it ironic that words like "terrible," "bad," and "horrible," are thrown around by people who condemn words like "fun" and "tight" in the same breath. They're both equally dismissive and contribute nothing to your argument but we're becoming more accepting of something being "bad" while being incredibly cautious of something being "fun" and I take issue with that.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Don't say "janky" y'all.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Found Sound posted:

Re: the WoW talk on the most recent Video Games Hotdong: Zach seemed baffled by Cataclysm's poor reputation. One thing to note is that when most people talk about how much Cataclysm sucked, they're rarely if ever talking about the revamped old world -- which was great and sorely needed -- they're talking about the max-level content, which was uneven and suffered from baffling design decisions. Unfair as it may be, the two halves of the expansion are effectively judged separately depending on where you're coming from as a player: leveler or endgame delver.

Yeah, the Azeroth revamp was sorely needed and done incredibly well in most spots, it's just the rest of the expansion kind of suffered from it

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Is the process to open a locked door in Wasteland 2 really as bad as Zack said, or did he just overlook a simple game mechanic (again)?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Just because something doesn't control like Mario doesn't make it a bad platformer :colbert:

bad news...

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Lone Goat posted:

Is the process to open a locked door in Wasteland 2 really as bad as Zack said, or did he just overlook a simple game mechanic (again)?

You click the lockpicking skill on your hotbar and then click on the locked thing. It's the same way you use every active skill.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Don't say "janky" y'all.

I try not I really do but "janky" is the new "broken."

Lone Goat posted:

I don't know what he said but the process is to select the character with the unlock skill, select the skill from the toolbar, and click on the door. That's... it. If you critically fail you usually can't retry but the game designers were smart enough to give you multiple options to overcome obstacles. Fried the electronics on a safe? Use mechanical repair to fix it and try again. Broke the lock on a door? Bash it down.

It takes about 5 seconds for the skill to tell you if it succeeded or failed so the only penalty is time which I feel is an intentional choice to encourage you to suck up a failure and move on. It's not like you need the contents of literally every box you come across. Like the Fallout series it's a game that encourages you to constantly move forward.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

The original Castlevania plays nothing like Mario and is a goddamn great game. Hell, even Mega Man doesn't have the same feel. While I get why some people don't like the momentum based movement of Sonic I think 2 and 3 are great. Hell, we're even talking about cinematic platformers like Oddworld and those are some of the best games. Using "not like Mario" as a shorthand for bad controls is either lazy or close minded.

Don't say "janky" y'all.
no slang allowed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Don't say "janky" y'all.

What, is it an obscure racial slur?

• Locked thread