Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

MightyShadow posted:

You have to fail the mission, then it will prompt you to load a save or restart from the last checkpoint.

You can also save it and quit the game and access it from the main menu as Resume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

People pausing the game and/or making saves are chumps. :colbert:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Misandu posted:

Do characters in the modern Dynasty Warriors games have move sets as interesting as Hyrule Warriors? Stuff like Sheik's musical notes or Zelda's Light Arrows?

No, Dynasty Warriors games go for variety of characters, not movesets. The Sengoku Basara/Samurai Warriors games would be right up your alley; unfortunately, Capcom gleefully shits on the series' localization whenever it can, so only Samurai Warriors 3 actually made it to the States (and not the updated re-release).

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Don't diss Swagitha. :colbert: (notice the zero damage)

Seriously, her X makes her completely invincible. Tornados and divebombs all day.

The butterfly mode attacks all seem to miss even when you're directly over top of some enemies. Unless I'm missing something, it seems like the only way to hit people with them is for them to have been launched first.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Oxxidation posted:

No, Dynasty Warriors games go for variety of characters, not movesets. The Sengoku Basara/Samurai Warriors games would be right up your alley; unfortunately, Capcom gleefully shits on the series' localization whenever it can, so only Samurai Warriors 3 actually made it to the States (and not the updated re-release).

That's a shame but it's what I figured. In that case I'm even more impressed they managed to come up with a bunch of really fun to use mechanics like they did for Hyrule Warriors!

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I just unlocked Agitha and an enjoying her. I've been using C2 to stunlock bosses and it generally works great. C3 absolutely destroys crowds. I don't have the other combos yet.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

chumbler posted:

The butterfly mode attacks all seem to miss even when you're directly over top of some enemies. Unless I'm missing something, it seems like the only way to hit people with them is for them to have been launched first.

I've had similar results with the Y attacks, but at least X hits things at the cost of ending flight.

I want to get a WiiU Pro controller for Bayonetta 2, can I use it for single-player in HW or am I stuck with the gamepad only?

vvv - Great, guess I'm gonna go pick one up then!

Vanrushal fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 4, 2014

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Vanrushal posted:

I've had similar results with the Y attacks, but at least X hits things at the cost of ending flight.

I want to get a WiiU Pro controller for Bayonetta 2, can I use it for single-player in HW or am I stuck with the gamepad only?

I just got a Pro controller yesterday and it works great for single player.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Mr E posted:

I just got a Pro controller yesterday and it works great for single player.

I have a Pro controller and I use it for literally everything I can. I highly recommend it over the giant rear end gamepad.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Evil Canadian posted:

I have a Pro controller and I use it for literally everything I can. I highly recommend it over the giant rear end gamepad.

Plus if you set the gamepad down near you, it still functions for the stuff it shows on the screen normally.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Alacron posted:

How would Groose fight in this game? My only guess would be him carrying around a portable Groosinator, with maybe some attacks involving Loftwings or something.

Personally though, I'd like to see some more esoteric characters showing up, like Ezlo from Minish Cap. Bonus points if he stays as a talking hat while you play him.
His special attack would be a squadron of Loftwings flying in and dropping bombs everywhere.

Ride of the Valkyries optional.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Inverness posted:

His special attack would be a squadron of Loftwings flying in and dropping bombs everywhere.

Ride of the Valkyries optional. mandatory.

Fixed that for you.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

PureRok posted:

Press and hold dodge. It'll make you start sprinting immediately after dodging.
I didn't figure this out until I had already finished Legend mode. :negative:

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Shadowlyger posted:

Fixed that for you.

No he was right, Ride of the Valkyries optional.

This mandatory.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
Not sure if it was already known here, but a post on Reddit is reporting that all the materials laying around at the end of a level get automatically picked up (up to 20 laying around at a time).

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Speaking of materials, why does it seem like I pick up hundreds of materials during a stage, but when it lists everything I found there only seem to be anywhere from 7-15 things listed?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

Speaking of materials, why does it seem like I pick up hundreds of materials during a stage, but when it lists everything I found there only seem to be anywhere from 7-15 things listed?
I assume you can only get 99 pieces of any one material and extras are ignored.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Inverness posted:

I assume you can only get 99 pieces of any one material and extras are ignored.

:aaaaa:

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

No he was right, Ride of the Valkyries optional.

This mandatory.

Play both at the same time.

Alternatively, I would settle for a buttrock version of Groose's theme.

NiceAaron
Oct 19, 2003

Devote your hearts to the cause~

I need some Network Link action. NNID is NiceAaron. I'll be going through inviting the NNIDs on the previous few pages as well.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Misandu posted:

That's a shame but it's what I figured. In that case I'm even more impressed they managed to come up with a bunch of really fun to use mechanics like they did for Hyrule Warriors!

I want to elaborate on this a little bit: they're just starting to go nuts with certain weapons, but for the most part they're going to be run of the mill spears and swords and whatnot. Examples of crazy movesets that I can think of include the handheld gatling gun, a weird armblade thing that can act as a surfboard, a pressurized air cannon, and gigantic gauntlets meant more for grabbing and wrestling dudes than just punching them.

Unfortunately, those hilarious sounding things are just a drop in the boring weapons bucket. It's strange how it never occurred to me how boring most Dynasty Warriors weapons are until I played Hyrule Warriors.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Unponderable posted:

Not sure if it was already known here, but a post on Reddit is reporting that all the materials laying around at the end of a level get automatically picked up (up to 20 laying around at a time).

I know I've killed a boss that triggered a cutscene that ended that level and I never got a chance to collect the drop, but still got it anyway.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

liquidypoo posted:

Unfortunately, those hilarious sounding things are just a drop in the boring weapons bucket. It's strange how it never occurred to me how boring most Dynasty Warriors weapons are until I played Hyrule Warriors.
Does the series not have magic or something? That opens up a lot of possibilities when it comes to weapons.

Suaimhneas posted:

I know I've killed a boss that triggered a cutscene that ended that level and I never got a chance to collect the drop, but still got it anyway.
Oh thank god. I hate having to stick around after killing a bunch of enemies and collect all of the loot. I'd rather just leave and not have to worry about it. Though the MP and SP drops are the only things I'd care about when I'm in a rush.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Inverness posted:

Does the series not have magic or something? That opens up a lot of possibilities when it comes to weapons.

Sort of? They've always had some extremely mild references to magic here and there, with things along the lines of an enemy officer or general summoning wind to blow down a canyon, forcing you to take an alternate path or some garbage. Sometimes someone conjures up phantom troops that you can't damage and can only be rid of them when you destroy comically large magical jars.

They're only just now realizing, "Hey, we can do really fun things with this," giving us stuff like a guy who wields a giant paintbrush and just paints images of tigers and poo poo in midair on the battlefield, or replacing one guy's boring sword with an infinite supply of cartoon bombs that he just throws in different patterns for each strong attack. Even then, it's still really subdued and nowhere near as good as what they did in HW.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Inverness posted:

Oh thank god. I hate having to stick around after killing a bunch of enemies and collect all of the loot. I'd rather just leave and not have to worry about it. Though the MP and SP drops are the only things I'd care about when I'm in a rush.

Well, if it's true about the game only allowing up to 20 lying around at once, I'd still wait to pick up stuff from commanders at least. Wouldn't want to lose out on some rare material because you killed a commander early in a level and then left 20 old rags lying around

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Is it just me, or is Zant really, really bad at hitting weakpoints? I was trying to A-rank one of the stages near the starting point on the Adventure map, both to get a Heart Container for him and to break into the Brown Squares to go and grab Ghirahim. It's the one where you have to kill two Dodongos. I did okay on time I guess, but I ended up screwing myself on damage. It was fast enough to A-rank the time, but still It took at least 3 weak point exposures to actually pull it off. What's his best weak-point combo?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

liquidypoo posted:

weird armblade thing that can act as a surfboard

That's not an armblade, that's literally a small boat. He is using a boat he found off the shore and is using it to kill people.

Inverness posted:

The series is based off the civil war of ancient China like thousands of years ago. They take extreme liberties like giving a guy a rocket as his lance. Weapons also are subjective considering the end result is still a lot of flashy impossible stunts.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
This game looks fun but is it basically dynasty warriors?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

It is pretty much Dynasty Warriors with a coat of Zelda paint on top, yes. There some more Zelda-ish mechanics, though, like Gold Skulltulas and heart containers.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Shadowlyger posted:

It is pretty much Dynasty Warriors with a coat of Zelda paint on top, yes. There some more Zelda-ish mechanics, though, like Gold Skulltulas and heart containers.

I've never played a Dynasty Warriors game before, but I have played almost every Zelda game ever made so I had to try this out. If you like Zelda, I think you'll like Hyrule Warriors. It is a blast to me. Basically take a Zelda game and remove almost all the puzzles and just leave where you slaughter a bunch of bad guys. I find it mindless entertainment :)

Rinn
Apr 11, 2007
Too Slow!
College Slice
Loving this game, just finished Legend mode. My NNID is Rinn_Syron.

Rinn fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 4, 2014

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Having never played a Dynasty Warriors game before this one, this is the best explanation I could give a newcomer for what the gameplay is:

Picture an RTS, only you're not controlling the units. Instead, you're a single, incredibly-powerful unit in the middle of an RTS game that's playing out around you. It's up to you to lead your side to victory by cutting a path through the enemies and capturing Outposts and Keeps, which are basically spawn points allies or enemies flow out of (depending on who controls them).

Just conceptually, I like it a lot, although not quite enough to check out the other games in the series given what I've heard about how they play compared to this one.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Also, don't expect your AI buddies to be fighting alongside you effectively, most of the rank and file troops just stand there occasionally jabbing at each other, the Captains and named characters are more effective, but expect to have one of them yelling for help at least once a battle, bonus hilarity if it's Zant or Girahim doing this.

Expect to have to recapture bases a lot too, since the enemy is rather good at retaking bases, but generally they should be safe if you eliminate most things around it and capture all Outposts, as they spawn a steady stream of troops who will overwhelm nearby bases.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Judge Tesla posted:

Also, don't expect your AI buddies to be fighting alongside you effectively, most of the rank and file troops just stand there occasionally jabbing at each other, the Captains and named characters are more effective, but expect to have one of them yelling for help at least once a battle, bonus hilarity if it's Zant or Girahim doing this.

Expect to have to recapture bases a lot too, since the enemy is rather good at retaking bases, but generally they should be safe if you eliminate most things around it and capture all Outposts, as they spawn a steady stream of troops who will overwhelm nearby bases.

Needing to recapture bases a lot can be taken way down by just planning out capture routes well and making sure that you take out any enemies with actual health bars. Even the lowest rank of them that you can't even L-target are threats to keeps. Raid captains and special monsters like dinolfos more so. You don't need to wipe out the whole mook blob, but just taking out its leaders when it's a minor detour cuts down on backtracking a lot. Even better if you catch them while they're still inside an enemy keep. Also taking every outpost you pass helps tremendously and takes like 6 seconds per.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Geneally speaking your ai allies arent very strong, but they can wear down healthbars and pick off any stragglers with no issue if you take out the big characters. just make sure to check thier health bars when you get the warning they're at half health, and if it starts draining quickly head over to heal them and takeout whatever is killing them.

tidiox
Jul 22, 2007

Tengames posted:

Geneally speaking your ai allies arent very strong, but they can wear down healthbars and pick off any stragglers with no issue if you take out the big characters. just make sure to check thier health bars when you get the warning they're at half health, and if it starts draining quickly head over to heal them and takeout whatever is killing them.

I did the Adventure map that unlocks Zant last night and was shocked when I got a message out of nowhere that Lana had defeated Zant. I hadn't even gotten the cutscene for approaching him.

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012

Rocketlex posted:

Having never played a Dynasty Warriors game before this one, this is the best explanation I could give a newcomer for what the gameplay is:

Picture an RTS, only you're not controlling the units. Instead, you're a single, incredibly-powerful unit in the middle of an RTS game that's playing out around you. It's up to you to lead your side to victory by cutting a path through the enemies and capturing Outposts and Keeps, which are basically spawn points allies or enemies flow out of (depending on who controls them).

Just conceptually, I like it a lot, although not quite enough to check out the other games in the series given what I've heard about how they play compared to this one.

How about calling it a 3D Beat'em Up with RTS elements?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Misandu posted:

If you are into the series (or just willing to go in blind), the One Piece Pirate Warriors games are pretty good too, and have a pretty good variety of characters/movesets. 1 and 2 are out on PSN, 2 is a big improvement but 1 is still worth playing.

Sengoku Basara is still my favorite 'warriors' style series, although we're unlikely to ever see it in english again. :( I honestly might end up importing the new one.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Yeah, Pirate Warriors 2 was the last Musou game I played and it was actually pretty drat good. Nowhere near the level of polish as this one, but still some really neat mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun
Slowly chipping away at Adventure mode and loving it. My NNID is LeonheartSA. Feel free to add me so we can get all the rupees.

• Locked thread