Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

Lovecraft would have been a Troper.

I know it's been said before, but it's true.

No he wouldn't be- for one he would be too xenophobic to appreciate the Animes, for two he wouldn't be nearly pedophile enough to make up for that, and for third, he actually wrote poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Fourth, did not actually have an obsession with comprehensive world building the way half the the tvtropes "writing" crew does.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

And don't forget he actually had a wife.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Fifth, he wrote genuinely good stories once in a while. 'The Color Out Of Space' is fantastic, and, better yet, contains as close to zero racism as Lovecraft can accomplish.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Darth Walrus posted:

Fifth, he wrote genuinely good stories once in a while. 'The Color Out Of Space' is fantastic, and, better yet, contains as close to zero racism as Lovecraft can accomplish.

The least racist Lovecraft story is about a color that isn't supposed to be there. :psyduck:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LaughMyselfTo posted:

The least racist Lovecraft story is about a color that isn't supposed to be there. :psyduck:

Are you a child?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

LaughMyselfTo posted:

The least racist (to the point of being actually progressive) Sherlock Holmes story is 'The Adventure of the Yellow Face'.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Here's something that I always take into account when considering the viewpoints of the past.

Picture yourself just going through your day, and suddenly a time machine pops up and out steps your great, great grandchild (and let's assume this doesn't shock you so hard you're reduced to an incomprehensible mess). Then picture that in the course of conversation, your ancestor condemns you for having a job. Not the job you have, not the fact you could have another job or should seek your dream job, not how well you do your job, just the fact you have a job at all. Wouldn't you think this viewpoint is insane? Even if they explained everything about how this mindset came about and it all made sense to you, would you be able to wrap your head around such a mindset?

It's the same case if you went back in time and told people like Lovecraft their opinions were wrong and harmful. They are most likely completely incapable of understanding it. They really are products of their time: no matter how wrong current times says they are, they cannot grasp that. For Lovecraft, a gigantic bundle of issues, it's even worse. Now, this does not EXCUSE or CONDONE them. They are still racists. If people feel that this means their replications should be removed from modern things, fine. But ultimately, you have to cut some slack to people who have no ability to understand what's to come. Just some, though.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
hi 5 the punk work sucks

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Lovecraft was racist even compared to his contemporaries.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Lovecraft later in life wrote to other people how he considered himself to have been way too racist/nationalist which should really be enough to get people to shut up about how he wasn't that racist.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Lovecraft was born in 1890 to parents who were alive during the time of slavery. The Birth of a Nation was the world's first real blockbuster film, released just two years before Lovecraft's writing career began. The KKK was a significant political force throughout most of his life. Yes, Lovecraft was racist as all hell, but it becomes much more understandable when we put it in these contexts.

Also racist as hell but usually given a pass: F. Scott Fitzgerald, who in his final finished novel refers to a dead black man as "friend of the family scrap."

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
She was...a negress

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Cornwind Evil posted:

Here's something that I always take into account when considering the viewpoints of the past.

Picture yourself just going through your day, and suddenly a time machine pops up and out steps your great, great grandchild (and let's assume this doesn't shock you so hard you're reduced to an incomprehensible mess). Then picture that in the course of conversation, your ancestor condemns you for having a job. Not the job you have, not the fact you could have another job or should seek your dream job, not how well you do your job, just the fact you have a job at all. Wouldn't you think this viewpoint is insane? Even if they explained everything about how this mindset came about and it all made sense to you, would you be able to wrap your head around such a mindset?

It's the same case if you went back in time and told people like Lovecraft their opinions were wrong and harmful. They are most likely completely incapable of understanding it. They really are products of their time: no matter how wrong current times says they are, they cannot grasp that. For Lovecraft, a gigantic bundle of issues, it's even worse. Now, this does not EXCUSE or CONDONE them. They are still racists. If people feel that this means their replications should be removed from modern things, fine. But ultimately, you have to cut some slack to people who have no ability to understand what's to come. Just some, though.

You are aware that Lovecraft lived in the early 20th century, not the early 13th century?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Lottery of Babylon posted:

You are aware that Lovecraft lived in the early 20th century, not the early 13th century?

Considering how much people can change from one generation to the next, that doesn't really make much difference. Severe racists in the early 20th century are as incapable of understanding how wrong their viewpoints are as anti-semites in the 13th.

Edit: Also that.

VVVVVVVVV

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 4, 2014

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Nobody really gives a poo poo about whether it was a "product of his time," people are talking about idiot fans who can't deal with "This thing I like is racist as gently caress" because they're incapable of understanding that "thing I like" is not the same as "my identity."

Also Lovecraft was hella racist and xenophobic for his time so yeah.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
But he did start to understand he was wrong in the last few years before he died. I don't have one of the compilations of his letters handy but he started to write to people saying he was thinking being racist was wrong and specifically that his story "The Street" (which is one of the most racist and xenophobic stories he ever wrote) was definitely wrong.

The guy didn't think he was "not really racist" or whatever so stop trying to argue that for him.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
If someone came from the future and gave a reasoned reason for why something I do was wrong. I would stop doing it.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Future man: "Ancestor, it is wrong to drive a car and you will be judged harshly for it"
Me:"Fair enough"

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I think faggots should all be stoned to death.

You're not allowed to think less of me for it because it's only the 21st century and these things take time so I just can't help it.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

The guy didn't think he was "not really racist" or whatever so stop trying to argue that for him.

I'm not arguing that, I'm arguing that this is a boring loving argument when we could be making fun of Tropers.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
H. P. Lovecraft? More like H. P. Loves-to-take-over-the-thread-and-derail-it

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Here, have some examples of tropers' concept of evil:
Cruelest thing you had done in a game?

flamemario 12 posted:

Releasing some of my Pokemon in Pokemon Y.
I also released a Luvdisc that I got from a Wonder Trade.

MONSTROUS!

Zero Dark Flirty posted:

Back in my Call of Duty days, I was playing with a friend in Hardcore mode. He was going ham on everyone, and was one kill away from a Tactical Nuke.
So I shot him in the face.

UNFORGIVABLE!

Dark Elf Princess posted:

Any form of Chao abuse in the Sonic the Hedgehog games, wherever they are. They are innocent creatures, but that doesn't mean that the player can beat them up (even in the Sonic Adventure games, they can die from too much abuse). It's terrible if you think about it.

THOSE POOR POLYGONS!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Lovecraft was born in 1890 to parents who were alive during the time of slavery.

Edgar Allan Poe was raised by an actual slaver and yet he never wrote a story about how grotesque black men was.

BlueDude
Aug 7, 2014

sweeperbravo posted:

H. P. Lovecraft? More like H. P. Loves-to-take-over-the-thread-and-derail-it

Lovecraft Pleads the Fifth: The Color Out of Space

Anyway, back to trope-making-fun-of:

Nightmare Fuel: JumpStart Adventures 4th Grade: Haunted Island posted:

A Survival Horror game made with fourth graders in mind? Ho yes...
* Ms. Grunkle frequently appears to taunt you. She can show up anywhere...
* What happens if you don't talk to Madame Pomreda and do an activity anyways? Her eyes appear in front of you and say "Come to Madame Pomredas to accept your challenge!"
* Repsac. Just...Repsac. He is heavily implied to be The Dragon to Ms. Grunkle. His sole purpose in the game? To hop out in front of you when you least expect it and ask you a question. Get it wrong? Then you lose health. Lose enough? You go to the labyrinth. Oh, and he'll jump you inside the Labyrinth, too - so no luck hiding in there.
* The Labyrinth. There is no real sound there, apart from the background music. Nothing Is Scarier....
* The boat sequence can be scary if you have a slow computer...meaning you go forever.
* Madame Pomerada herself is pretty creepy especially when you first meet her it seems fine at first untill she lifts the curtain to reveal her creepy Uncanny-looking face.

All this is for a game aimed at 4th graders.

(In all fairness, apparently it was kinda scary for kids and the game had to be recalled, so perhaps there's a little inkling of honesty in that mess of words quoted above. But the operative words here are "scary for kids" - why the hell would a full-grown man still be terrified about it? Just goes to show how childish tropers really are.)

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Alhazred posted:

Edgar Allan Poe was raised by an actual slaver and yet he never wrote a story about how grotesque black men was.

"Oh, my golly, Massa Will! ain't dis here my lef' eye for sartain?" roared the terrified Jupiter, placing his hand upon his right organ of vision, and holding it there with a desperate pertinacity, as if in immediate dread of his master's attempt at a gouge.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

BlueDude posted:

Lovecraft Pleads the Fifth: The Color Out of Space

Anyway, back to trope-making-fun-of:

All this is for a game aimed at 4th graders.

(In all fairness, apparently it was kinda scary for kids and the game had to be recalled, so perhaps there's a little inkling of honesty in that mess of words quoted above. But the operative words here are "scary for kids" - why the hell would a full-grown man still be terrified about it? Just goes to show how childish tropers really are.)

4th graders shouldn't be looking at or posting on TV Tropes, for all sorts of reasons.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

BangBangBang! Commando of the Galaxy

BlueDude posted:

The nightmare fuel pages were originally intended for things that might scare children, things that supposedly grown adults find scary were separate pages, that got combined at some point. But this is tropers we are talking about, so they might actually find the game scary.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

The Heavenator posted:

The nightmare fuel pages were originally intended for things that might scare children, things that supposedly grown adults find scary were separate pages, that got combined at some point. But this is tropers we are talking about, so they might actually find the game scary.

I thought the whole point of nightmare fuel was that it was stuff that wasn't SUPPOSED to be scary, or at least not very scary, but ended up coming across that way anyway. Or do I have it mixed up with something else? Or does it even matter

Of course this being tropes, you must include everything that wasn't supposed to be scary but was, was supposed to be scary but wasn't, was supposed to be scary and was, wasn't supposed to be scary and wasn't, might have been supposed to not be supposed to maybe be scary and possibly was for certain people if you know about Dumb Reference XYZ, or had a young anime girl in it somewhere.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

sweeperbravo posted:

I thought the whole point of nightmare fuel was that it was stuff that wasn't SUPPOSED to be scary, or at least not very scary, but ended up coming across that way anyway. Or do I have it mixed up with something else? Or does it even matter

Nightmare Fuel is just "this thing is very scary."
According to the page, you're talking about Accidental Nightmare Fuel.

Of course, neither of these are actually tropes as normal people understand them, but that's par for the course.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Nightmare Fuel was originally "This is in a children's show, but it's scary, what the gently caress". This stuff basically.

Nightmare Fuel Unleaded was the "intentionally scary and in adult stuff" section. It and Nightmare Fuel were merged so there isn't a distinction anymore. While it can be funny to go "haha, tropers are scared of kid's shows", it should be taken in mind that at least some of it is written from the perspective of being a kid that was originally intended.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I checked out the discussion page for Nightmare Fuel and found an argument over "Real Life Nightmare Fuel"

quote:

Maybe Nightmare Fuel should have no Real Life examples... For the same reason we don't have Real Life examples for Crapsack World, Cold-Blooded Torture, Sex Slave, and so forth. First, we don't want to scar the innocent tropers mentally, we don't want to drive the tropers to insanity and misanthropy. Second, it might become a Flame Bait, like an entry for Hitler's holocaust campaign invoking Godwin's Law and causing a massive Flame War...

quote:

Nah we should re state it i mean this is becomeing to lighter and softer

quote:

Scar the tropers mentally? They aren't all kids, just a thought. Plus i'm already scarred.

I AM A DARK AND EDGY FIFTEEN YEAR OLD

quote:

We need a Nightmare Fuel wiki like the Fetish Fuel one. Problem is, I have no idea how to make one. It had lots of info in one place, and a large majority of tropers enjoyed it. It seem a waste to just get rid of it all. I agree that this site isn't the best place for it, but another affiliated wiki might be the way to go. Thoughts?

Granted, I have never bothered to set up a wiki but my impression is that it's about as difficult as falling off a log, right?

Then we get into FREE SPEECH!!! territory! Yaaay!

quote:

Yes, let's ban everything and "Think of The Children."I'm offended by other nightmare fuel threads as well, why don't we ban them too?
This website is becoming like Demolition man's Utopia.

a mod posted:

The majority of tropers voted to remove the pages. They are not coming back at the request of a few people who can't seem to go elsewhere for their scare fixes.

quote:

I have a strong feeling that tropers who bother to vote are either soccer moms or fakes.
Who would bother to have it removed?
What kind if mental maturity would a person have to believe Nightmare Fuel will disappear once they vote it out?

Mostly it's a lot of tropers whining that they have to get their Real Life Nightmare Fuel somewhere else, because when I want creepy things, I go straight to a page listing public service announcements and "there was a spooky skeleton in my children's game."

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

WickedHate posted:

Nightmare Fuel Unleaded was the "intentionally scary and in adult stuff" section. It and Nightmare Fuel were merged so there isn't a distinction anymore. While it can be funny to go "haha, tropers are scared of kid's shows", it should be taken in mind that at least some of it is written from the perspective of being a kid that was originally intended.

Well, they are mentally children so I guess we should keep that in mind anyway

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

He did write an essay in support of slavery though.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Maxwell Lord posted:

He did write an essay in support of slavery though.

Do you have a link to that? Poe certainly believed that black people were inferior, but I don't think he was a big fan of slavery - he inherited one slave at the age of 20, and freed him immediately.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Do you have a link to that? Poe certainly believed that black people were inferior, but I don't think he was a big fan of slavery - he inherited one slave at the age of 20, and freed him immediately.

Now I'm curious. Was that out of a genuine moment of ethical clarity, or him just deciding "there's no way in hell I can support us both, and selling you is too much of a hassle, so... You're free to go, I guess"?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Regalingualius posted:

Now I'm curious. Was that out of a genuine moment of ethical clarity, or him just deciding "there's no way in hell I can support us both, and selling you is too much of a hassle, so... You're free to go, I guess"?

Freeing a slave wasn't simply a matter of saying "you're free to go", you had to hire a lawyer and pay a bunch of fees. So instead of selling his slave at full price, Poe sold him to a free black family for a pittance* and they went through the process of actually freeing him. That's just what I've learned from a couple sources tonight, I really don't know anything about 19th century slavery. From the sound of it, Poe genuinely wanted to free the slave, but preferred to get a little money to free him instead of freeing the slave at personal expense.

* Apparently the going price for a male slave was $500, Poe sold his for $40. I find it really creepy to look up the "value" of a person like this.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

quote:

For me, what it comes down to is this:
Is Jane Austen more mature than Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann? Yes. Would I read Jane Austen before I watched Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann? gently caress to the hell no!

If I wanted realistic consequences and ordinary people facing ordinary problems, I'd go outside and stand in an intersection, then wait to get hit by a truck. That's not what fiction is about to me. What's the point of writing or reading about something you could experience for yourself in your real life?

If you wanna captivate me with a story about something I could be doing myself right now if I was insane or desperate enough, then you're gonna have to hit every note just right, and if you can do that, you're probably a good enough that you could entertain people with a story about paint drying. Why do you think there's so much genre fiction in the world compared to literary fiction? Literary fiction is loving hard to write, and not many people are gonna enjoy it because they have better things to do than read dramatized accounts of their real lives.

tl;dr? Write an entertaining story instead of a mature one. Those will be more likely to please. That's my two cents, anyway.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Yes yes, what a spot-on analysis of what people desire in their fiction. Surely this is why the "sitcom" never took off as a TV format

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So his two extremes are Jane Austin and the anime about universe sized robots throwing galaxies at each other.

I wonder what he must think of work that happens to fall IN-BETWEEN those two subtleties. Like would he look at Apocalypse Now and write it off as trite garbage purely because it could have happened to some one?

• Locked thread