Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Does Peter Capaldi have a Twitter somebody can send this to?* :allears:

*Disclaimer: I have no idea how Twitter works. Is that how it works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
So does anybody know a good place to watch Classic Who? I wanted to start getting into the older archives and get a feel for Doctors 1-7 but Netflix only has 18 of the old serials (all 4 parts for each) and the selection seems a bit abysmal.

I'd really like to know why they came to this brilliant conclusion though:
"Don't we need a serial for the sixth Doctor?"
"He's in the last minute of Caves of Androzani, good enough."

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

dirksteadfast posted:

So does anybody know a good place to watch Classic Who? I wanted to start getting into the older archives and get a feel for Doctors 1-7 but Netflix only has 18 of the old serials (all 4 parts for each) and the selection seems a bit abysmal.

Dailymotion seems to have a lot of serials! I watched The Ambassadors... (TWANG) OF DEATH! there, recently.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

dirksteadfast posted:

I'd really like to know why they came to this brilliant conclusion though:
"Don't we need a serial for the sixth Doctor?"
"He's in the last minute of Caves of Androzani, good enough."

Last I checked, Hulu Plus has a lot more.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Peri and the Piscon Paradox is on sale now at Big Finish. Some other stuff is as well, but you should definitely make a beeline to this one first.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Thanks for all the suggestions and links. I've slept on it and ended up with this "To the Death"-quote.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

vegetables posted:

Peri and the Piscon Paradox is on sale now at Big Finish. Some other stuff is as well, but you should definitely make a beeline to this one first.

Along with Solitaire and one Charlotte Pollard...

adhuin posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions and links. I've slept on it and ended up with this "To the Death"-quote.

Good choice!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

dirksteadfast posted:

Hulu Plus has about 85% of the surviving stories. Amazon Prime has about five stories which Hulu Plus doesn't.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Thanks for the input, time to get myself another free trial of Hulu Plus.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Jerusalem posted:

The Doctor's attitude towards Danny didn't particular strike me as standing out from how he treats most other people, but enough people have brought up their distaste with it that it seems clear there was some kind of problem in communicating whatever message was intended by the writers. I'm still surprised by just how intense the reaction has been, because this Doctor being ascerbic and stubborn-minded about his initial take on any subject until the weight of evidence comes down against him seems to me to have been well communicated across the entire season so far.

Just because that's the trend doesn't mean I have to like it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CobiWann posted:

To me, that should have been the weight of evidence. Once is a misunderstanding, twice is understandable, twelve times is something else entirely.

You have no idea how many times the High Council on Gallifrey have said this.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rita Repulsa posted:

Just because that's the trend doesn't mean I have to like it.

It doesn't mean you're supposed to like it either. This Doctor is interesting because he's a cockbag and people are calling him out on it, and because it's eventually going to go into a redemptive arc of sorts.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So my dad found out that some esoteric channel somewhere in our cable package is airing the second Peter Cushing Who movie tomorrow night.

Does anyone here know if it's worth watching, in either a good or bad way?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cleretic posted:

So my dad found out that some esoteric channel somewhere in our cable package is airing the second Peter Cushing Who movie tomorrow night.

You're in for a magical experience :allears:.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

Well, it has Bernard Cribbins.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

CobiWann posted:

When he said this, I held up three fingers.

Mike Yates may not be the best example for your point here, seeing as how he was evil that one time.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Gordon Shumway posted:

Mike Yates may not be the best example for your point here, seeing as how he was evil that one time.

Yeah, maybe it should have been Harry Sullivan?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I enjoyed the Peter Cushing ones, although admittedly I watched them both with the aid of Rifftrax.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So I'm watching series 1 on netflix, and wow, Aliens of London/World War 3 are bad. Not the story, as Aliens impersonate UK Goverment officals to destroy the planet, that's a perfectly Doctor Who style plot.

Just, what 12 year old came up with the Aliens? It's not as bad as the Love and Monsters one, but its pretty bad. With the weird DSL, Baby faces and farting.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
It's a great episode unfortunately made with the possibly correct idea that all Doctor Who fans are 3 year old idiots.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gordon Shumway posted:

And then he redeemed himself later on.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
He wasn't evil in the show's logic, he was trying to "make the world better" by erasing humanity. He turned against the leader in the end anyway, I think.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

twistedmentat posted:

So I'm watching series 1 on netflix, and wow, Aliens of London/World War 3 are bad. Not the story, as Aliens impersonate UK Goverment officals to destroy the planet, that's a perfectly Doctor Who style plot.

Just, what 12 year old came up with the Aliens? It's not as bad as the Love and Monsters one, but its pretty bad. With the weird DSL, Baby faces and farting.

The director for those episodes and Rose was an idiot and intentionally directed them like a CBBC series. Eccleston had him fired or something. Good for Eccleston.

EDIT I just realised you were complaining about the actual Slitheen design. I thought it was pretty cool and original, personally

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 4, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

The director for those episodes and Rose was an idiot and intentionally directed them like a CBBC series. Eccleston had him fired or something. Good for Eccleston.

The farting is part of the script, though...

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

So did anything come of Prior "Oscar" Marcus' attempt to make a better (non-creepy 'sex' article-having) Doctor Who wiki? Cos I just went on the current one and it's loving baffling, anything else would be an improvement at this point

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Espilae posted:

So did anything come of Prior "Oscar" Marcus' attempt to make a better (non-creepy 'sex' article-having) Doctor Who wiki? Cos I just went on the current one and it's loving baffling, anything else would be an improvement at this point

You are asking if a goon project has been a success?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I think the plan was to wait until the season is over.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

CobiWann posted:

Yeah, maybe it should have been Harry Sullivan?

He's an imbecile!

Was Mike really ever evil? He was brainwashed, and then he was misguided about the whole Golden Age thing but IIRC he didn't fully understand what that group were planning.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

evenworse username posted:

He's an imbecile!

Was Mike really ever evil? He was brainwashed, and then he was misguided about the whole Golden Age thing but IIRC he didn't fully understand what that group were planning.

And he and the Doctor make up later on ANYWAYS.

Sure he dies in the process, but that's still not a knock against.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

evenworse username posted:

I think the majority of the people involved thought that they were just going back in time and doing their own thing, not that they were erasing everyone from existence. But it's not really clear who knows what in that story.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

For about the fourth saturday in a row I completely forgot there is a new episode today. Will this be the first episode this series to rise above the level of pretty good? I think it might be.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Random Stranger posted:

I think the majority of the people involved thought that they were just going back in time and doing their own thing, not that they were erasing everyone from existence. But it's not really clear who knows what in that story.
I don't think they even knew they were going back in time; the whole thing with the fake spaceship was to make them believe they were going to a new, virgin planet. (That happened to be full of dinosaurs, but by then they'd be in a bit too deep to complain.)

Funny how advanced Britain's space programme was in the 1970s80s.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

marktheando posted:

Will this be the first episode this series to rise above the level of pretty good?

No. But there's a good chance it will the the 7th.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

BSam posted:

No. But there's a good chance it will the the 7th.

You seriously think every single episode this series has been a classic, great episode? I don't think anything except half of Deep Breath has been terrible, and much of it has been good but nothing has been amazing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

marktheando posted:

You seriously think every single episode this series has been a classic, great episode? I don't think anything except half of Deep Breath has been terrible, and much of it has been good but nothing has been amazing.

Listen is definitely memorable if nothing else, and Time Heist is apparently a new genre that hasn't been done before. Into the Dalek is also at or above Dalek's level which puts it pretty near the top of Dalek related episodes in the revived series.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

computer parts posted:

Time Heist is apparently a new genre that hasn't been done before.

Of course, of course.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

computer parts posted:

Listen is definitely memorable if nothing else, and Time Heist is apparently a new genre that hasn't been done before. Into the Dalek is also at or above Dalek's level which puts it pretty near the top of Dalek related episodes in the revived series.

I liked Time Heist and Into the Dalek but I wouldn't put them above other middling to good episodes like the Sontaran two parter or Dinosaurs on a Spaceship.

And how is it a new genre? It was a heist story!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

marktheando posted:

And how is it a new genre? It was a heist story!

New for Who.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Is that really true? I can't think of a previous heist story, but there must be something that qualifies. Certainly other stories have used heist/con movie elements before.

Edit- Thought of one, I'd say the Ribos Operation qualifies as a heist story.

marktheando fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

We're on.

e: Oh hey look, yet another threat to the entire Earth/human race. :effort:

• Locked thread