Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
The fun part about Quebec is that job creation has been exclusively the domain of the government for the last couple years.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/michel-kellygagnon/quebec-job-creation_b_4959429.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

etalian posted:

Isn't Montreal also somewhat lower cost of the living compared to the other major cities?

Very much so. Higher taxes though, and an economy that's not exactly world-beating.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lexicon posted:

Very much so. Higher taxes though, and an economy that's not exactly world-beating.

I've heard it also has a pretty good late night entertainment economy similar to Portland.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

etalian posted:

I've heard it also has a pretty good late night entertainment economy similar to Portland.

Ha. Like Portland, it is a great city to visit or live short term (while attending McGill for example). Not so great if you're hoping for a robust job market, etc - and then of course Quebec comes with its own set of annoyances that tend to compound with time.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

That pay chart is so frustrating because I actually make just slightly below the Toronto salary and it's pretty much impossible for me to afford a decent place on top of my car, gasoline and other expenses. Factoring in my payroll deductions for my pension plan (which I'd be stupid not to give the maximum matching contribution for) it gets even bleaker. I really would like to know who the gently caress lives around King West, Liberty Village etc. There's no way in hell I could afford to live there yet I'm seeing people who are obviously younger than me not having a care in the world about their financial situation.

My reality is I will have to pay between 1100 and 1300 per month to live in Toronto. That's my entire biweekly paycheque for the privilege of never having to travel down the 401 at 5am again and MAYBE having some semblance of a social and dating life. Seriously what the gently caress. Do most people below 40 live paycheque to paycheque down there?

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 4, 2014

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Cultural Imperial posted:

TIME FOR SOME INTROSPECTION.

Yes, hmm, this can only end in a soft landing.

David Lereah is great btw, check out some of the things he's said in the past.

lmao

I was wondering where I'd seen this cover before. Thanks.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lexicon posted:

Ha. Like Portland, it is a great city to visit or live short term (while attending McGill for example). Not so great if you're hoping for a robust job market, etc - and then of course Quebec comes with its own set of annoyances that tend to compound with time.

a pussy corps doesn't make up for a bad job market or the whole loony separatist mindset.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

etalian posted:

a pussy corps doesn't make up for a bad job market or the whole loony separatist mindset.

I didn't say otherwise.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I was in Montreal for the '95 referendum. The difference in atmosphere and disposition of Quebecois society between now and then is like night and day. Given the choice, I'd take Montreal over Vancouver in a heartbeat. If you think any Quebecois gives a poo poo about separatist politics and hatred of anglophones, you're goddamn crazy or a dumb poo poo Vancouverite.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I was in Montreal for the '95 referendum. The difference in atmosphere and disposition of Quebecois society between now and then is like night and day. Given the choice, I'd take Montreal over Vancouver in a heartbeat. If you think any Quebecois gives a poo poo about separatist politics and hatred of anglophones, you're goddamn crazy or a dumb poo poo Vancouverite.

I agree with this. I recently spent a bunch of time in Montreal and it really opened my eyes to how awesome Montrealers and Quebecers are in general - and also that the average Canadian from elsewhere is very ignorant of this fact.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

David Lereah is great btw, check out some of the things he's said in the past.

Most helpful reviews on Amazon:

Most helpful positive review posted:

An extraordinary, and extraordinarily important, book Feb. 25 2009
By M M - Published on Amazon.com
Format: Paperback
I agree with other reviewers who have pointed out that this is, in fact, an extraordinarily important book. In particular, it provides a classic example of the mentality that underlies every asset bubble. The author pulls out every trick in the book - demographic trends, financial innovation, macro trends, etc. - to argue that "this time is different." Alas, as we all have found out, this time was not different. What goes up for no discernible reason, must come down. If something seems to good to be true, it probably is. You can try to argue that the "fundamentals have changed", but they rarely do. And when things correct, it can be bloody. (Alas, the difference here was that the hucksters were also able to take the down the financial system, but that's another matter.)

But why this book is important, and why I'd suggest that every investor read it, is because it illustrates exactly the sentiments that lead to absurd behavior in asset markets. Silly assumptions. The belief that the price of some asset will continue to rise. Desperate rationalizations for those price increases. The resulting behavior is not necessarily illegal or unethical (as some other reviewers have suggested), rather it provides a classic case of the mentality that leads to excesses in asset markets. Read this book and learn from it. Because you don't want to get caught up in this kind of garbage.

BTW, I pity the author. Not simply because so many people attack him as an idiot or a shill for the realtors, but because his timing was so appalling. Shiller, who became famous for calling the peak of the dotcom bubble, often thanks his publisher for getting his book out at the right time. This guy's publisher was way way off. (Of course, it also helps if you're not, in fact, an idiot. Sorry David.)

Most helpful negative review posted:

For me, this was more comic relief than any scholarly analysis.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

etalian fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 4, 2014

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

ROFL

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vancouver is basically bay area absurdity in cost of living without things to make up for like lots of high paying jobs and education opportunities.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

etalian posted:

Vancouver is basically bay area absurdity in cost of living without things to make up for like lots of high paying jobs and education opportunities.

Yup. It's baffling.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

What calculator is that from? I move a lot for work and it would be super useful to have a ballpark estimate of what different areas are like.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Guest2553 posted:

What calculator is that from? I move a lot for work and it would be super useful to have a ballpark estimate of what different areas are like.

http://www.numbeo.com/

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

quote:

Young buck aims for 10 properties by 30

Mitchell Shand is 22 and has just bought his second investment property. His goal: to own 10 properties by the time he turns 30. “I’m young so I’ve got a long-term plan. It’s all about wealth creation.”

The Sydney mortgage broker bought his first investment property – a $650,000 townhouse in Riverwood – with his sister in May last year and hasn’t looked back

“I work in the mortgage industry, so property is pretty hard to ignore. It’s something tangible. It won’t burst and it won’t lose its value overnight. Shares tend to go up and down,” he tells AFR Weekend.

He believes the Reserve Bank’s fears about property investors overheating the market are largely unfounded because the right lending measures are already in place.

“The RBA is being a bit too cautious. Investing is only a problem if you do it the wrong way; if you’re geared up to the hilt, don’t know the value of your property and prices fall. Then you could end up owing 100 per cent or more of the value of your investment”

His advice: be conservative, think outside the box and buy at the cheaper end of the market. “You need to look at what you can afford, not how much the bank says you can borrow. Don’t overextend yourself.”

TOWNSVILLE TARGETED
With Sydney property prices rising about 16 per cent over the past year, Shand did better than expected out of his Riverwood townhouse and was able to use the equity accrued to buy a $250,000 property in Townsville in June. He plans to buy again next year and is looking at Brisbane.

He picked Townsville because of its good capital growth potential. “It has a university, army base, good schools and plenty of infrastructure development.

“I’ve done well out of my Sydney property, but I think the market has peaked. When it eventually flattens out, I’ll look at it again.”

Both his properties are negatively geared.

He earns about $300 a week in rent from the Riverwood property and $295 a week from his Townsville tenants. This gives him gross yields of 4.8 per cent and 6.1 per cent respectively: “I get a lot back in tax, so in a way it’s forced savings. The rent I receive goes into a separate lender account so I don’t miss any interest payments.”

Before joining Neutral Bay mortgage brokers Smartmove, Shand worked at the Commonwealth Bank, where he has both his loans. His first loan was a split fixed-variable mortgage. The fixed portion acts as a hedge against future rate rises, while the variable component allows for extra repayments.

“If I get paid a bonus, I can put that into my home loan. I also have an offset account, which reduces my home loan balance and my monthly interest payments,” he says.

90PC BORROWED
He bought his second property with a variable investment loan. In both cases he borrowed 90 per cent of the value, but only had to pay lenders’ mortgage insurance (LMI) on the second investment property.

“When I bought my first investment property, the bank offered a staff deal, which waived LMI,” he says.

Shand continues to rent, flat-sharing with a mate in Cammeray. He budgets carefully each month to meet his commitments with something left over to eat out with his friends. But these are small sacrifices and Shand appears well on his way to becoming a property mogul.

“My friends are all very surprised I am able to do this at my age. The hardest thing was to accumulate my first deposit – my father helped me out – but it just rolled on from there,” he says.

overboard
Aug 26, 2009
I'd just like to drop this gem from the sitting premier of Newfoundland and Labrador, when asked about affordable housing:

Paul Davis posted:

I think housing affordability is an issue in this province. And that’s why I’ve talked about [programs like] the down payment assistance program. I do think it’s an issue for the province, and quite often that barrier is in people getting their first home. The housing market has softened in recent months, there are houses that are not selling now, we see prices have dropped in areas, and the brisk sales that we saw for a period of time are not that way anymore. But we also have the big demand for rental opportunities. Rental vacancies are still at an all-time low. So, one of the benefits of giving people an opportunity, who can afford a mortgage but just don’t have that down payment, is if we can help some of them move to purchasing their own home, that also frees up rental opportunities, which are in huge demand today. There are housing challenges that come with economic growth. Having a good economy doesn’t cure all our problems, it creates new challenges as well, and housing is one of those.
Apparently supplying rental properties is not a valid response to high demand for rental properties, and the only thing poor people are missing is massive debt. I take some comfort in the fact that the PCs are surely doomed come the next election. I take less comfort in the fact that we're in for another long-term Liberal status quo.

overboard fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Oct 4, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I'm surprised that Newfoundland didn't get even more hosed by their oil boom, honestly.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It's a very Canadian way of thinking. People are renting so much because owning is too expensive, and the solution to this is to let them take on more debt.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

hooooly shiiiiiit

Where did you find this gem?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dr. Stab posted:

It's a very Canadian way of thinking. People are renting so much because owning is too expensive, and the solution to this is to let them take on more debt.

Yeah the desire to make home debtorship affordable not other ideas like reasonably priced rents seems to be the root of the problem.

Other places such as Vienna or how Germany discourages real estate speculation shows it's better in the long run.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

sitchensis posted:

I was wondering where I'd seen this cover before. Thanks.

Here's the article from that issue, it is kind of crappy as they only talk about houses that sell over asking and not about much else. The photos are pretty though.

http://www.torontolife.com/informer/toronto-real-estate/2014/09/30/real-estate-mania/?page=all#tlb_multipage_anchor_1

What I found most interesting was how much a house goes for on Melbourne. The homes are beautiful but the neighborhood is lovely, as are the schools. For just a little bit more a person could be in a similar house in a much better neighborhood but Parkdale is trendy so a million dollars is a small price to pay, I guess. It is close to downtown, I'll give them that.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

http://www.thestar.com/business/personal_finance/2014/06/02/shes_40_on_her_own_and_wants_to_buy_a_house_can_she_really_afford_it.html

quote:

Sofia is a teaching assistant at a Toronto university who earns $66,000 a year and wants to buy her first home.

:lol: no she isn't. You have to work at least 500 hours/semester as a TA to get that much at UofT - a minimum of three courses per semester all year long in the departments with the bigegst hourly loads (and those go to grad students, not 40 year olds). Unless she has some wacky contract at York/Ryerson, this sounds completely fictional.

quote:

Sofia thinks its time to get into the housing market, but she’s holding back out of concern about job security. She’s on contract, which comes up for renewal in 2015. If she does dive into the market, she wonders how much of a down payment to make. A larger down payment reduces her mortgage but leaves less to put into retirement savings. A third concern is an investment strategy and how best to make her savings grow.

“I’m concerned that if I wait too long to get a mortgage, the rates will increase and I will have less time to repay the mortgage comfortably and [delay my retirement],” Sofia says.

You know what would delay your retirement? Buying a home when you have zero job security!

quote:

Assuming a 25-year amortization and interest rates at 5 per cent , Sofia can easily handle a mortgage payment of $1,300 a month and still be able to pay off the mortgage by age 65. And the amount Sofia currently spends on rent “will easily cover taxes, utilities, repairs and even the extra travel costs she will incur when she moves further from her current place of employment.”

Page sees disability as Sofia’s biggest risk. As a single woman, what happens if she is not able to earn enough due to disability? While she has disability coverage through her employer, it’s enough to give her only 60 per cent of her income. That amount would cover the basics but little else. Page recommends she add a $150,000 critical illness insurance policy to mitigate this risk. She could fund it by dropping her small life insurance policy. Life insurance is not as critical for someone without a spouse or dependents.

Sofia can easily afford a 25-year mortgage with a contract expiring next year oh and she's disabled so her employer will cover at least 60% of her income as long as she's employed, which could be for less than a year.

quote:

Another risk Sofia faces is a drop in income after buying her home. Her job contract may not be renewed and it could take her some time to land the next position. A good backup plan is for Sofia to rent out a room at her home to help carry her costs. “In fact, renting a room could be done at onset to help her save more money,” Page says.

asdgfasfgdf

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The thing about these kids buying up tons of property is that in Australia (I don't know if it works the same way in Canada) you basically just use one property's lien as the security for your next property, and so on, and so forth.

Which means your average idiot investor can own a lot more houses than he would otherwise be able to afford.

However, it also means that if he loses literally one house because he can't make the payments anymore, the bank takes ALL THE REST OF THEM because they're all being used as security against one another.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

HookShot posted:

The thing about these kids buying up tons of property is that in Australia (I don't know if it works the same way in Canada) you basically just use one property's lien as the security for your next property, and so on, and so forth.

Which means your average idiot investor can own a lot more houses than he would otherwise be able to afford.

However, it also means that if he loses literally one house because he can't make the payments anymore, the bank takes ALL THE REST OF THEM because they're all being used as security against one another.

Australia also has something called negative gearing which allows real estate investors to get a tax break from negative cash flow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_gearing_(Australia)

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I'm doing a CPR class this weekend. Direct quote from one of the attendees.

quote:

I work in the dtes. There's no way I'm giving anyone mouth to mouth.

File under reasons to exterminate all vamcouverites.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

... enjoy your treatment resistant TB.

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION

Vancouver is a friendly city and I enjoy living in it :)

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Dr. Witherbone posted:

Namaste shithead! :)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dr. Witherbone posted:

Who's looking forward to buying a reduced price house in Vancouver?

At least you don't have to worry about too much snow!

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
The guy is actually right, why are they still teaching CPR to the general public?

Call an ambulances with your cellphone, if you have gloves stop the bleeding and make sure the patient doesn't choke on vomit. Maybe whip out the space blanket but you gonna use the wrong side anyway.

Do not go wild cracking ribs, popping lungs or make heart arrhythmia even worse, thanks.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

sauer kraut posted:

The guy is actually right, why are they still teaching CPR to the general public?

Call an ambulances with your cellphone, if you have gloves stop the bleeding and make sure the patient doesn't choke on vomit. Maybe whip out the space blanket but you gonna use the wrong side anyway.

Do not go wild cracking ribs, popping lungs or make heart arrhythmia even worse, thanks.

In general I agree, though circumstances may dictate otherwise. You really should get a breathing barrier though, makes a world of difference. The reason they still teach it is because of people who work in remote areas. Many places are 20 minutes or more from the nearest EMR and up to an hour from the nearest ambulance.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

sauer kraut posted:

Well more to the point you should perform CPR on someone unless they basically dead already when all that doesn't matter anyway.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

babies aren't like gross dtes people right?

quote:

unless they're babies belonging to gross dtes people

: class laughs:

E: also, you guys are loving idiots. I guess no one should ever learn basic first aid because someone might have ebola

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

Hepatitis C rates in the DTES are ridiculous, like 80-something percent. People have the right to weigh the risks and benefits to their personal health and safety, especially factoring in the abysmal survival rates of people who receive bystander CPR.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

sauer kraut posted:

It's so you can keep people alive while the ambulance is on its way.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

: class laughs:

E: also, you guys are loving idiots. I guess no one should ever learn basic first aid because someone might have ebola

Of course people should learn CPR/first aid. But remember the first thing they tell you. The most important thing when performing first aid is to assure your own safety first. This includes dangers like communicable diseases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
And men in the Davie village all have AIDS and hep c, and all the hipsters on main st have chlamydia and hep c and everyone in surrey has AIDS. I guess the only people worth saving are people who live in sjaugjnessy and kits