Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Man Jessie Thorn is a funny guy and Maxfun has a great bunch of podcasts but him starting the podcast with a money plea was super tacky. I don't remember that ever happening on other podcasts that join.

That said, great episode, Hallie is a national treasure, and I'm sure they're gonna be great fits in the network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Man Jessie Thorn is a funny guy

Source your quotes. Anyway, it was easy enough to just skip ahead to the actual episode, just listen for the intro music.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Man Jessie Thorn is a funny guy and Maxfun has a great bunch of podcasts but him starting the podcast with a money plea was super tacky. I don't remember that ever happening on other podcasts that join.

That said, great episode, Hallie is a national treasure, and I'm sure they're gonna be great fits in the network.

I kind of wish she was a permanent host.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Doesn't the fact that Jesse Thorn doesn't usually do it suggest that maybe the Floppers asked for it? I mean, if it's all the same to them, why change to a different network at all. Clearly, they're hoping to get some additional support out of the deal and, like Thorn said, the normal pledge drive won't happen for several months.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
gently caress Jessie Thorn, but Hallie Haglund is the best: "It's like when you force someone to have sex with you and then they finally get really into sex"

radlum
May 13, 2013

Drunkboxer posted:

I kind of wish she was a permanent host.

Yeah, I would like to see her as the fourth flopper (or flopette?). I wouldn't be surprised if the guys have already discussed that with Hallie and they haven't been able to convince her yet.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

GraPar posted:

gently caress Jessie Thorn, but Hallie Haglund is the best: "It's like when you force someone to have sex with you and then they finally get really into sex"

I love how that joke just slammed the brakes on the bit.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

I can't believe WHM ruled out Creepshow! Is anyone going to shed tears over doing that as a We Love Movies episode?

Next week starts their horror movie month so it's going to be C.H.U.D. 2: Bud the C.H.U.D.

It was CHUD 2. I liked the episode, it even convinced to look for this movie and CHUD 1 (with the CHUDmentary). That bit about Jesus was great.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

June's "stance" taken on the newest HDTGM is one of the most egregious things I have ever heard.

She is going to get Paul killed.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

radlum posted:

It was CHUD 2. I liked the episode, it even convinced to look for this movie and CHUD 1 (with the CHUDmentary). That bit about Jesus was great.

Really though, what movie WOULDN'T be improved by Thriller cat-eyes

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

radlum posted:

The whole runner about the CHUD franchise was great. And I loved the idea of the director putting Robert Englund in the movie because he happened to film Englund walking his dog on the block they were shooting on.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

cams posted:

June's "stance" taken on the newest HDTGM is one of the most egregious things I have ever heard.

I just finished laughing really hard at that part. I always assumed June played a bit of a character on the show but now uh, maybe not.

radlum
May 13, 2013

cams posted:

I still don't understand how that marriage works. Good episode, I liked that having two women allowed to discuss the themes a bit more than the Flop House did when they watched this movie.

Also, cat eyes at the end of every movie is the best idea the WHM guys have had in a long time.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

cams posted:

He needs to just be a man.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I love that June didn't even know what a real man should do in the situation, aside from nebulous yelling.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

cams posted:

Spoil this for me.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Spoil this for me.
Real men don't just get their loved ones out of harm's way when they get threatened by a group of strangers. A real man will either fight said group of strangers or defend June's honor by ... Yelling something while they're driving away.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Oct 9, 2014

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Maybe Paul could bite them. I'm sure that mouth could do some damage.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Wow, June is surprisingly blood thirsty.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd imagine 100% of the fun being married to Paul would be owning him.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

I'd imagine 100% of the fun being married to Paul would be owning him.

Probably because I'll never not see him as Andre, but yea I'd think so too.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

radlum posted:

I still don't understand how that marriage works.

She's stuck with him until she tricks him to say his name backwards.

HanzoSchmanzo
Apr 11, 2011

Al! posted:

She's stuck with him until she tricks him to say his name backwards.

Paul says his name backwards, disappears in a puff of green smoke. June turns towards the camera and smiles...

...CAT EYES

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Fairly certain tonight's WHM is Jason Goes to Hell, which may not be the worst Friday the 13th (they already did that) but it's easily the weirdest.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

weekly font posted:

Fairly certain tonight's WHM is Jason Goes to Hell, which may not be the worst Friday the 13th (they already did that) but it's easily the weirdest.

What IS the one they've already done? I'm going to look it up as soon as I'm home but I need to know what you/they think is the worst. (5?)

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

They did 5, which was reasoned to be the worst because it's the one that has no Jason. I think they bring up whether or not it's actually the worst in the ep, but the only other name I remember coming up was Jason X

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Ror posted:

They did 5, which was reasoned to be the worst because it's the one that has no Jason. I think they bring up whether or not it's actually the worst in the ep, but the only other name I remember coming up was Jason X

There's a lot more reasons it's the worst besides no Jason, but it's the cherry on top of the poo poo sundae that movie is.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Jason X is way too aware of how stupid it's premise is and is too involved in just having fun with the idea of 'Jason in Space!' to be truly horrible. It's too eager and fun a movie to hate.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

OldTennisCourt posted:

Jason X is way too aware of how stupid it's premise is and is too involved in just having fun with the idea of 'Jason in Space!' to be truly horrible. It's too eager and fun a movie to hate.

Yea Jason X reeks of someone going 'haha this is fuckin stupid right?' every five minutes when writing the script. I hate the wink wink nudge nudge poo poo plenty but I can't really poo poo on it when stuff like 5 and Jason Goes to Hell exist, which are just objectively terrible creations.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

I haven't seen Jason X in years but found it fun and self-awarely dumb enough to be worth watching if you're a fan. Besides we all know the real worst entry in the series is Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes a Cruise, but 5 is a close second.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea Jason X reeks of someone going 'haha this is fuckin stupid right?' every five minutes when writing the script. I hate the wink wink nudge nudge poo poo plenty but I can't really poo poo on it when stuff like 5 and Jason Goes to Hell exist, which are just objectively terrible creations.

I never got that sort of feeling. It always felt like a genuine attempt to make the most fun, absurd movie they could with the premise. The moment that sells it is the simulation scene, which is one big love letter to the entire series. It's not a movie rolling it's eyes at itself, it's a movie that genially wants to have fun and be dumb.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I seem to remember reading in the horror thread that the production was just horrible, with key people getting fired and rewrites and such going on even when they were filming, so it's probably a combination of the late 90s post-Scream winks at the camera and just a production trying to finish a movie.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

OldTennisCourt posted:

If nothing else, I can't hate it for having fun with the premise which is more than I can say for pretty much every single other Friday the Thirteenth movie.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The Senator Giroux posted:

I seem to remember reading in the horror thread that the production was just horrible, with key people getting fired and rewrites and such going on even when they were filming, so it's probably a combination of the late 90s post-Scream winks at the camera and just a production trying to finish a movie.

Yep, the original script is way different but I'm not sure it would have made a better movie. Hilariously, Jason X also beat out The Phantom Menace by a few weeks to become the first film entirely shot on digital (or something like that, I'm no tech guy).

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

weekly font posted:

Yep, the original script is way different but I'm not sure it would have made a better movie. Hilariously, Jason X also beat out The Phantom Menace by a few weeks to become the first film entirely shot on digital (or something like that, I'm no tech guy).

I don't know if you're right, but you must mean Attack of the Clones. Jason X came out two years after The Phantom Menace and one year before AOTC. Also TPM wasn't shot all in digital, but AOTC was.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Maybe/probably. I can't find any internet proof of it but I'm positive it's bragged about in the commentary. But I really don't feel like watching Jason X again to hear it.

e: I'll check my copy of Crystal Lake Memories later.

e2: The book says it's the first film to be shot entirely on digital, so I imagine that stupid Star Wars brag is just some commentary circle jerking.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 14, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Next week WHM movie looks to be Halloween 2 or I Still Know What You Did Last Summer.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Next week WHM movie looks to be Halloween 2 or I Still Know What You Did Last Summer.

It's the latter for sure. 10 year rule, and I think they all kind of like the Rob Zombie Halloweens.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I Still Know is monumentally retarded and assumes its audience is just as dumb. It should be fun.

Gotta say I'm a bit let down by the Jason Goes to Hell episode. They glossed over a lot of the dumb poo poo in the movie, which, with how much they DID go over should tell you a lot about JGtH.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Just started listening to WHM and so far I like it a lot more than HDTGM. I'm not a huge fan of horror movies so I've been listening to some of the back episodes. Having The Net episode randomly start playing in the middle of a meeting at the point where the hosts are discussing Sandra Bullock in a bikini was the highlight of my day.