Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

Post 9-11 User posted:

N-o-o!

For those of you who missed it, one of the Horrible Warhams player replies was how one very poor guy would take his wife and kids to the hobby store, firesale poo poo he was bored with (at a huge loss). His child asked, "Do we get juice this week?"

"No, new Grey Knights are out."

:cry:

I'm glad someone remembered this tragedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Squifferific posted:

I'm glad someone remembered this tragedy.

Who could forget? :smith:

peep the tumblr
Jun 26, 2009

The Sisko posted:

Any goons wanna meetup at Game Kastle Fremont tonight?

I would try to pop in if I didn't have a wedding to be at. I haven't hammed wars as much as I would like to, lately.

Edit: I also should probably work on re-painting all of my Chaos Space Marines to not look like rear end. I only painted them while I was hammered....

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I am happy because my local store had a few copies of Space Hulk left so I managed to snag one. I am really excited to play the game with my fiance. The only problem that I have with it is that I really want to steal the Librarian's force axe for my marine army, but I have already promised myself(and my fiance) that I wouldn't alter any of the game pieces for my army. (The problem with being addicted to doing conversions.)

Speaking of conversions, I finally found what base model I am going to use for my chapter master. I figure that with a little conversion Inquisitor Coteaz would be just what I am looking for. (and by a little conversion, I mean removing the Inquisition marks and replacing the stupid cyber eagle arm with something else.) I wish that the cyber eagle only had one head because then I could use it for something else conversion wise, but a 2 headed eagle just looks dumb to me.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

jadebullet posted:

The only problem that I have with it is that I really want to steal the Librarian's force axe for my marine army, but I have already promised myself(and my fiance) that I wouldn't alter any of the game pieces for my army. (The problem with being addicted to doing conversions.)

Don't crap out on buying your fiance juice

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
You assume that I am the one who buys the juice.

Also, I tried to explain to my fiance how Space Marines are made, since she was interested. All I managed to do is cause her to come to the conclusion that Space Marines are just 13 year old boys with extra organs in power armor. Either I explained it very poorly, or I did a very good job of explaining it.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 4, 2014

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

jadebullet posted:

You assume that I am the one who buys the juice.

Also, I tried to explain to my fiance how Space Marines are made, since she was interested. All I managed to do is cause her to come to the conclusion that Space Marines are just 13 year old boys with extra organs in power armor. Either I explained it very poorly, or I did a very good job of explaining it.

That's honestly a really solid summary, they are given swords and guns and told to kill the poo poo out of something. This obviously changed after a few decades.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 4, 2014

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Fal-Cone posted:

I would try to pop in if I didn't have a wedding to be at. I haven't hammed wars as much as I would like to, lately.

Edit: I also should probably work on re-painting all of my Chaos Space Marines to not look like rear end. I only painted them while I was hammered....

I would - but have family things going on tonight!

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

ANAmal.net posted:

"Not sanctioned" means they're "experimental rules", which means Forgeworld is probably going to do the same thing they did with the last Riptide variant and nerf the poo poo out of the thing before they put it into a book because goddamn look at it.

They actually listen to player feedback when rules are in the experimental phase. Enough people realized how ridiculous the last one was and emailed them about it - so they got changed.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Sephyr posted:

I just hope this FW chaos book finally does away with the whole "Well, it's a daemon engine, OF COURSE is gets WS 3 and BS 3 like all the others!" mentality. The thing has been shooting/slashing for millenia. Even that basic khorne turdling has WS 5 and BS 5. Let it actually be decent at what it does instead of just giving everything a guardsman level of skill and a 5++!

Who am I kidding. WS 8 is for Vindicare assassins, after all.

It (the book) does not.

BULBASAUR posted:

I fully expect it to remain the same. It's been a hallmark of their daemon engine design, unfortunately. You trade BS and WS for an invuln and immunity to shaken + stunned.

Correct.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Ghost Hand, legit question- besides the books, is Forgeworld producing any of their resin in other parts of the world? The turn around for recasters to make brand new FW models is crazy fast and whatever material they are using is either identical or in some cases, better than what Forgeworld uses.

I'm asking because this would make sense as a place where leaks happened. In games all the piracy happened when we sent our disks to be manufactured around the world. From there it was always a race to beat the guy in the factory that took home one of the CDs and threw it up on piratebay.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Gosh I'm looking forward to IA13. I hope it doesn't break my heart.

I'm reading the Night Lords book at the moment and it has underscored, for me, how inadequate the CSM codex is for representing renegade space marines; Guys who have ditched the corpse god but haven't pledged allegiance to the ruinous powers. They're still using stuff like drop pods and vehicles with machine spirits. And those vehicles aren't half creature devil machines.

So yeah here's hoping.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

Ghost Hand, legit question- besides the books, is Forgeworld producing any of their resin in other parts of the world? The turn around for recasters to make brand new FW models is crazy fast and whatever material they are using is either identical or in some cases, better than what Forgeworld uses.

It is a pretty fast turn-around. I wonder if FW gets orders for 1x every popular model, ship to China please, and they just sigh and post it out.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Cataphract posted:

let's not kid ourselves. It's almost definitely KFC.
I think just regular ol' nasty people grease. I make a point not to eat greasy food around my minis; I always cringed when I used to see my opponents grab their models with fresh Cheeto fingers and grease/cheese up their models :barf:

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Is the Librarian in Terminator Armor kit any good? I'm torn between that or removing the Chaos stuff from a Chaos Sorcerer in Terminator Armor.
It's been mentioned that it's a metal or Finecast model with only one pose option, but it's a good looking mini. The Chaos Terminator Lord/Sorcerer kit rules, but there's so much Chaos poo poo, I doubt you'll be able to get rid of much of it and still have the model look good at all. I'd convert up a plastic Terminator Librarian from a Grey Knights box. They have psychic hoods and force weapons already.

Also, after last night's game, my buddy and I are probably going to get some serious 2nd edition action in. We're both a little frustrated with 7th and we already have such a hard on for early 90's 40k as is, it just makes sense to go whole hog and actually try the game we're painting models for. If it really picks up, old school Night Lords are in my future.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

SRM posted:

The Chaos Terminator Lord/Sorcerer kit rules, but there's so much Chaos poo poo, I doubt you'll be able to get rid of much of it and still have the model look good at all.

Ahem.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Night Lords are a interesting chapter, because like the Alpha Legion they have mostly not been corrupted by Chaos, their like the gently caress you dad of Chaos. Plus their Batman followers.

I really wish we'd get some legion specific tactics.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Hollismason posted:

Night Lords are a interesting chapter, because like the Alpha Legion they have mostly not been corrupted by Chaos, their like the gently caress you dad of Chaos. Plus their Batman followers.

I really wish we'd get some legion specific tactics.

Chaos Marines had a good book released during 3rd edition and it will never happen again.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

S.J. posted:

Chaos Marines had a good book released during 3rd edition and it will never happen again.

I think we'll see something like the 3E codex's appendices in the next CSM codex with alternate formations and force orgs.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

PeterWeller posted:

I think we'll see something like the 3E codex's appendices in the next CSM codex with alternate formations and force orgs.

No, but you might see it in the Day 1 supplement :v:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

S.J. posted:

No, but you might see it in the Day 1 supplement :v:

Haha. Good point.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
I bought the Dark Eldar book today. The LGS guy also talked me into a DEldar battleforce that had been traded in for store credit. Decently painted models (though not in a style I'll keep or copy) except the Raider that had been taken for a looted orc vehicle :mad: all for $30. Probably worth it for the jetbikes, but the wytches are garbage and I already had some Kabalite Warriors, so now I have something like 25 of them. Halfway to what I'd likely need for a decent 1850 list with options.

I'm telling myself now that I'll refuse to buy into Eldar and I can get by without it.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

SRM posted:

It's been mentioned that it's a metal or Finecast model with only one pose option, but it's a good looking mini. The Chaos Terminator Lord/Sorcerer kit rules, but there's so much Chaos poo poo, I doubt you'll be able to get rid of much of it and still have the model look good at all. I'd convert up a plastic Terminator Librarian from a Grey Knights box. They have psychic hoods and force weapons already.

I was about to balk at using a Grey Knights kit, then I realized that I was willing to pay around $20 for one model, so why not pay around $40 for 5?

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

S.J. posted:

The book had a good ethos but everyone views it through rose tinted glasses. There were some terrible things in that book.

I don't think that it's completely out of the question for the next CSM book to mirror the space marines one in some way. With some kind of global legion special rules. The continued success of the HH novels and game have shown there's a lot of love for the traitor legions.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Cataphract posted:

The book had a good ethos but everyone views it through rose tinted glasses. There were some terrible things in that book.

I don't think that it's completely out of the question for the next CSM book to mirror the space marines one in some way. With some kind of global legion special rules. The continued success of the HH novels and game have shown there's a lot of love for the traitor legions.

Every codex has loads of terrible bullshit. They're made by GW. But it stands out as a good book despite that, and it's the model that CSM books should be built on going forward.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

koreban posted:

I bought the Dark Eldar book today. The LGS guy also talked me into a DEldar battleforce that had been traded in for store credit. Decently painted models (though not in a style I'll keep or copy) except the Raider that had been taken for a looted orc vehicle :mad: all for $30. Probably worth it for the jetbikes, but the wytches are garbage and I already had some Kabalite Warriors, so now I have something like 25 of them. Halfway to what I'd likely need for a decent 1850 list with options.

I'm telling myself now that I'll refuse to buy into Eldar and I can get by without it.

Kabalite aand raider spam is looking to be in favour this edition so your on the right track. Wyches are garbage since 6th edition, the new codex just made them unusable, jam them in a venom and deep strike them back field for a small chance at doing anything.

Bikes lost bladevines but still work well at what they do, which is moving across the table at break neck spead with a awsome save. Smart use of them means having a heatlance or two where your opponant does not want them.

Raiders with night shields and splinter racks will be the aim here, dropping twin linked splinter shots and anti tank with relative ease (Dark eldar deliver insane levels of dakka, they just have to survive to do it). Venom, raider and even flyer spam looks like the new norm as well.

All in all, we lost a lot of our fancyier tricks, but gained in other less obvious way. Over all I will just have to learn how to micro again to suit the changes in this codex but im not too worried, when in doubt I now have lots of lances again.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I just took a survey on the GW web store page. I cannot remember the last time they asked anyone's opinion about anything. This might be a great opportunity to give civil, constructive criticism on one of GW's biggest problems. The worst they can do is not read it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I dunno Reaver jetbikes getting hit and run and in a full squad of 12 getting 4D6 ST6 Rending hits is pretty bad rear end.

I think people were used to Dark Eldar play style before and for so long that the changes kick them in the teeth, but losing the special characters did hurt. However you got a insane amount of Formations and 2 detachment types that alter the FOC and gives great bonuses.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Do any Grey Knights players have any extra Nemesis Force Hammers lying around from the plastic terminator kit? I need one for a conversion.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
This guy is pretty boss, not gonna lie, but there's no shortage of loyalist bits on him. That cape is seriously a great bit though - I think I used it on two Wolf Lords back when I played Space Wolves.

Cataphract posted:

I think it's definitely a case of selective memory. It was also an absolute pain to fight against - a pair of infiltrating winged Daemon Princes of Nurgle jumping down your throat turn 1 was absolutely brutal and there was precious little any army could do about it. I think I middleground between that book and what we have now would be seriously cool though.

As for Chapter Tactics equivalents for Chaos Marines, that'd be neat but it's almost too good and too simple an idea to let happen.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

SRM posted:

This guy is pretty boss, not gonna lie, but there's no shortage of loyalist bits on him. That cape is seriously a great bit though - I think I used it on two Wolf Lords back when I played Space Wolves.

I think it's definitely a case of selective memory. It was also an absolute pain to fight against - a pair of infiltrating winged Daemon Princes of Nurgle jumping down your throat turn 1 was absolutely brutal and there was precious little any army could do about it. I think I middleground between that book and what we have now would be seriously cool though.

As for Chapter Tactics equivalents for Chaos Marines, that'd be neat but it's almost too good and too simple an idea to let happen.

If this thread were to come up with Rites of War for the traitor legions, I'm sure my group would let me play with them.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

SRM posted:

It's more an illustration that you can indeed take the plastic chaos termie lord and make him look not-chaos. Arms, legs, torso, cape are all from the CTL kit, just with a heaping helping of greenstuff and imperial bits.

Sulecrist posted:

If this thread were to come up with Rites of War for the traitor legions, I'm sure my group would let me play with them.

I'm sure it wouldn't be THAT difficult.

The CSM book can, at the moment, cover Death Guard, Thousand Sons, Emperor's Children, and World Eaters with varying degrees of success. What those 4 are missing to make them feel more unique is more Legion/Mark-specific relics and Warlord tables.

What it DOES not cover is everyone else; Alpha Legion, Iron Warriors (well, debatable), Night Lords, and Word Bearers. None of these are really represented with the CSM book in a proper manner, and while you can certainly make it work through count-as and taking certain allies, it doesn't really make them FEEL like the traitor legions in terms of playstyle. Those could use some rites of war stuff to really flesh them out, perhaps with some relics here and there and/or warlord tables.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Would someone mind summarizing the Dark Eldar changes for me? Haven't been following any WH40K news for some time.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Sharzak posted:

Would someone mind summarizing the Dark Eldar changes for me? Haven't been following any WH40K news for some time.

Everything sucks. Death is certain.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

panascope posted:

Everything sucks. Death is certain.

Finally!

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Slimnoid posted:

It's more an illustration that you can indeed take the plastic chaos termie lord and make him look not-chaos. Arms, legs, torso, cape are all from the CTL kit, just with a heaping helping of greenstuff and imperial bits.

I'm sure it wouldn't be THAT difficult.

The CSM book can, at the moment, cover Death Guard, Thousand Sons, Emperor's Children, and World Eaters with varying degrees of success. What those 4 are missing to make them feel more unique is more Legion/Mark-specific relics and Warlord tables.

What it DOES not cover is everyone else; Alpha Legion, Iron Warriors (well, debatable), Night Lords, and Word Bearers. None of these are really represented with the CSM book in a proper manner, and while you can certainly make it work through count-as and taking certain allies, it doesn't really make them FEEL like the traitor legions in terms of playstyle. Those could use some rites of war stuff to really flesh them out, perhaps with some relics here and there and/or warlord tables.

Man I looooved that Chaos codex. My Khorne army is still basically set up from that, which is why it's terrible now! But there was so much stuff in it that just spoke to the basic Chaos idea.

From what I can remember:
Alpha Legion thing was Cultists (they didn't exist in the actual codex outside of that) and infiltrating
Iron Warriors could drop 2 FA for a HS and take Basilisks (and vindicators? Don't remember if they were available to non iron warriors) as well as no restrictions on Obliterators, who had just been introduced and were 0-1 for the general codex
Word Bearers could take a power weapon that basically made your Chaos Lord into the Dark Chaplain equivalent. Forget if they had other things?
Do not remember Night Lords stuff at all

For the gods, the equipment/special rules weren't specific to the army lists but the mono-god lists could take the respectie cult marines as troops and their demons got +1 to summoning rolls if they were the sacred number. My Khorne list was 8 squads of 8 - 7 chosen + lord, 4x 8 berzerkers, 2x 8 Bloodletters (when they were absolutely terrifying, S5 T4 A2 3+/5++ with power weapons), 8x Flesh Hounds, and with the way summoning worked I could actually win games with it.

I think adapting those rules for the current codex would be really, really easy. Alpha Legion could just borrow the Ravenguard rules from the SM codex, Iron Warriors could have the 4 HS/1 FA thing and access to Basilisks, Word Bearers already exist and the allies rules make adding demons in super easy, Night Lords could have a 4 FA/1 HS option and maybe better Raptors/Warp Talons.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Sharzak posted:

From my view, Kabalite and poisen spam lists are still workable, though beast packs got a nerf and wyches are now unuseable.

Archons got hit hard but the court of the Archon just got much better (you can now bring any number of each) mixed bag there, though jamming a raider full of medusa's (ap3 flamer template) and using the web way portal to non scatter deep strike them beside space marines will be orgasmic.

Asides from that, Scourges now can bring four guns at a smaller squad size and razorwing jet fighters are now fast attack.

Also the new detachment allows you to run 6 fast attack so have fun with that.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Direwolf posted:

From what I can remember:
Alpha Legion thing was Cultists (they didn't exist in the actual codex outside of that) and infiltrating
Iron Warriors could drop 2 FA for a HS and take Basilisks (and vindicators? Don't remember if they were available to non iron warriors) as well as no restrictions on Obliterators, who had just been introduced and were 0-1 for the general codex
Word Bearers could take a power weapon that basically made your Chaos Lord into the Dark Chaplain equivalent. Forget if they had other things?
Do not remember Night Lords stuff at all

I think adapting those rules for the current codex would be really, really easy. Alpha Legion could just borrow the Ravenguard rules from the SM codex, Iron Warriors could have the 4 HS/1 FA thing and access to Basilisks, Word Bearers already exist and the allies rules make adding demons in super easy, Night Lords could have a 4 FA/1 HS option and maybe better Raptors/Warp Talons.

While I too loved that book, it was pretty broken for its time. Still is in a couple areas, but compared to a lot of the whacky poo poo 6th brought out it's kind of tame comparatively. I still have the codex on my shelf.

Alpha Legion cultists had 3 choices for what they could take for special rules: infiltrate, and either furious charge, move through cover, or siege specialists (basically tank hunter on buildings). AL also could bring daemon packs, but only the cultists could summon them. No AL member could take a mark, but any power-armored model could take infiltrate at +1pt/model or +5 for an IC.

This could be the easiest to convert to the CSM book: cultists gain infiltrate + FC, MTC, or tank hunter; power armored models gain infiltrate at +1pt/model; and no model can take a mark (except maybe daemon princes).

Iron Warriors were probably the most broken legion in that book, but again are pretty tame now (if you could someone convince an opponent to let you use their rules in 7th). No marks, can't take daemons except DPs and possessed, siege specialists, more obliterators, sacrifice 2FA for +1HS, Basilisk and Vindicator, servo-arms in wargear section.

What that could translate into for 7th is: no marks (except possibly daemon princes), tank hunter on buildings (or just tank hunter on havocs?), obliterators are moved to the elite slot, and servo-arms may be taken from the special issue wargear. The extra HS slot is reflected by multiple detachments now, or allies, so that isn't really a rule that's needed. Basilisk is debatable, but I wouldn't say no to the idea of it being a heavy support choice for them.

Word Bearers don't function in the same way in 7th as they did in 3rd; with how allies work, as well as icons, you can't actually summon daemons off CSM icons. There's not a lot of synergy with them despite being battle brothers, which is a problem. Their old rules were pretty simple: no marks, they can use any type of daemon, one lord could become a dark apostle, they could sacrifice 1 elite, FA, and HS for more troop choices (leaving up to 9 troops!). Their special wargear was the Accursed Crozius, which the dark apostle could take, which acted as a personal icon and gave a 4+ invuln, and the special skill was Demagogue which let models auto-pass morale checks within 6" of the model.

Making WB act as they were presented in 3rd requires a bit of a change to the current rules. First and foremost, models with the daemon special rule can deep strike off CSM icons similar to a teleport homer, with the exception that daemons scatter d6" (the mortal faith in the dark gods is strong, but not THAT strong). No marks barring daemon princes. Dark Apostle gains a personal icon that acts as above, in addition to his usual wargear. Allies from Codex: Chaos Daemons may take an additional troop choice, in addition to the two usually allotted for an allies slot.

Night Lords have the least amount of special rules and honestly should just be treated as Raven Guard Space Marine count-as, but since that's not really possible we'll have to make do. Rules were: no marks; could only hire daemonic furies, daemon princes, and possessed; all CSM had the night vision rule at no cost; they could sack 2HS for 1 extra FA; and they could hire more raptors. Their special skill they could purchase was Stealth, adding +1 to cover saves.

How this would translate into the new CSM book is fairly simple, if a bit bland: no marks except daemon princes, all CSM models have Night Vision and Stealth, and they can fit Raptors in both FA and Elite. Like Iron Warriors, the extra FA slot is represented by multiple detachments. I'd say no special option for warp talons because they suck poo poo.

Warlord traits for each Legion and maybe some relics to help flesh them out, and that's really about it I guess.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

The Sisko posted:

Any goons wanna meetup at Game Kastle Fremont tonight?

Fremont, MI?

jadebullet posted:

Fiance? Shee? Fiancee. I got hit on by MANY dudes when I posted online about horrible things my "fiance" did to me. That extra E is vital. :eng101:

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 4, 2014

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Slimnoid posted:

Sure it does. It has all their signature units (cultists, warpsmiths, fear causing raptors, and dark apostles) and enough other options to make characterful lists for each legion. It's not as good as the 3E book, but it's a huge improvement over the 4E book in that regard.

That said, I wish they would do better. Using VotL as a sort of Legion Tactics would be a great way to handle this. But different detachments and dataslates could also work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Can night lords get drop pods please?

• Locked thread