Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

He's holding a mandrake plant, which is poisonous and used for different reasons throughout history, including sorcery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandrake_(plant)
Mandrake is not common in Russian culture.

Edit: Hour of tanks - two hours of music. :lol:

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

He's holding a mandrake plant, which is poisonous and used for different reasons throughout history, including sorcery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandrake_(plant)

Ah, that explains the picture.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Seems like they let just about anyone into Hogwarts these days.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

kalstrams posted:

Mandrake is not common in Russian culture.

Which makes it an interesting choice the artist made using it.

TeodorMorozov
May 27, 2013

Dolash posted:

Remember, because TeodorMorozov is Russian, this sentiment has a lot more legitimacy than anything we think and should be respected in a totally-not-parternalistic way. He doesn't know any better!

Oh sure, why not? I'm just a forum babby :)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Today 12th Saeima elections are happening in Latvia, by the way.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
On the Topic of Latvia, I recently talked with a Russian Latvian about the likelihood of such a Scenario there.

He deems it unlikely for a couple of reasons:

1: Most Young Latvian Russians made a half assed effort to successfully pass that language exam, rolled their eyes while doing that pledge of allegiance and thus got citizenship. They regard the EU passport as pretty drat cool, because they can travel/work in Europe in Addition to travelling/working in Russia due to the Russian passport that they also have.
2: Latvian Nationalists had their fun in the 90s, and are pretty tame now. There is no Latvian equivalent of Svoboda, Right Sector or Lyashko. Without rabid Nationalists wanting to kill you and take your stuff because you are Russian, Russia doesnt look as appealing.
3: Economic Situation is completely different. Latvia is not really Oligarch run, so no enterprising Uber-Oligarch is going to come up with glorious plans of establishing himself as "most Russian protector or all Russians" or "most Latvian Latvian ever".
4: If a Russian latvian legitimatly wins an election, he gets the power he won. Latvian authorities play if not "fair" (there is some harassment and stuff like that), then at least a lot fairer then Russian authorities.
5: There isnt much of a feeling that the place is "Russian", Russian settlement of Latvia came as a technocratic elite less then a century ago. It is not like Novorussija where it goes back a really long time.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Mightypeon posted:

5: There isnt much of a feeling that the place is "Russian", Russian settlement of Latvia came as a technocratic elite less then a century ago. It is not like Novorussija where it goes back a really long time.

Post-Holodomor isn't all that long ago.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

SA_Avenger posted:

If one cares for human lifes then one will always chose a path to avoid war.

And therefore, since Russia has effectively declared war on Ukraine, Russia does not care about human lifes and the Ukrainian army should protect its citizens from the invading power, I'm glad you agree!

I know you have a gimmick to maintain or whatever, but come on, you can't even say this is English being hard like with you capitalizing random words. Either commit all the way and substitute Ukrainian with "Poopy bloody Stinky heads" or just use the right loving word.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Russian Settlement of "Novorussija Region" goes back way beyond that. And that Region wasnt a part of "Ukraine" until the early Bolsheviks made it a part of it.
Then there is the Kievan Rus, to which Russia considers itself heir to (as do Ukrainians).

If you want the analogy, Ukraine is to Russia what Austria is to Germany.
The Austrian Habsburgs ruled Germany for a consdierable amount of time, "Ukrainians" (scare quotes because I the "nationality" of those guys is complex, and would propably devolve into a "no true Scotsman" context) were charge of the Soviet Union for a longer accumulated time then Russians.
While there was a Thing about the latvian rifle batallions as far as recent Russian history is concerned, this just doesnt match up to the degree of interconnectedness that exists between Russia and Ukraine.

Latvia in comparison is to Russia what the Czech Republic or Belgium is to Germany. Different culture, different language.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

DrProsek posted:

And therefore, since Russia has effectively declared war on Ukraine, Russia does not care about human lifes and the Ukrainian army should protect its citizens from the invading power, I'm glad you agree!

I know you have a gimmick to maintain or whatever, but come on, you can't even say this is English being hard like with you capitalizing random words. Either commit all the way and substitute Ukrainian with "Poopy bloody Stinky heads" or just use the right loving word.

While I certainly have some troubles with capitalizing (actually, its my loving spellchecker which I cant effing turn off), Kievans is iirc properly capitalized because it refers to a civil war faction. As far as I understand it, "Confederates" is also capitalized when you are writing about the US civil war.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

Mightypeon posted:

4: If a Russian latvian legitimatly wins an election, he gets the power he won. Latvian authorities play if not "fair" (there is some harassment and stuff like that), then at least a lot fairer then Russian authorities.

But if they should start with things like cozying up to Putin's Russia or making Russia the second language or abolishing requirement of Latvian when applying for a citizenship, things would likely get tense.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mightypeon posted:

While I certainly have some troubles with capitalizing (actually, its my loving spellchecker which I cant effing turn off), Kievans is iirc properly capitalized because it refers to a civil war faction. As far as I understand it, "Confederates" is also capitalized when you are writing about the US civil war.
I'd like to chime in with the fact, that if we discuss the proper use of language in the case, then it is Kyivans, since the city is Kyiv. Referring to them as to Kievans is like referring to German people as to Nemtsy while still insisting that conversation is being held in English.

And yeah, regarding the poster you quote, capitalisation is appropriate in this case, assuming that I have not been living in a lie and people from London are Londoners and not londoners.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Mightypeon posted:

and seek to creat a Novorussija which is large enough to be independent of both Ukraine and Russia.

Ahahahhaahhahhahhahahhahhahahah.

Chemtrail
Dec 29, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Exit-poll results for Latvian election:

23,8% "Vienotība" (current government leaders),
21,6%" Saskaņa" (Russian party)
19,4% Zaļo zemnieku savienība (currently in government, ties with an potentially pro-Russian local oligarch)
18,5% Nacionālā apvienība (national right-wing, currently in government)
6% Latvijas Reģionu apvienība (new-formed Latvian party)
5,4% No sirds Latvijai" (rumored as pro-Russian)

A short analysis: the biggest gainer is Nacionālā apvienība, Saskaņa has fewer than excepted votes. No major changes in the current government are predicted.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I'm sad about Saskaņas centrs not coming out, thought it's a bit early to say, first but the preliminary result seems to be good enough in a broader view.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Weapons and supplies cache found near Lysychansk.

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/518441689526964224

12 Russians dead in current Donetsk airport clashes. Also reports that two members of Right Sector are dead on the Ukrainian side.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/europe/2014/10/ukraine-says-12-rebels-killed-donetsk-2014104144315551537.html

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 4, 2014

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Chemtrail posted:

Exit-poll results for Latvian election:

23,8% "Vienotība" (current government leaders),
21,6%" Saskaņa" (Russian party)
19,4% Zaļo zemnieku savienība (currently in government, ties with an potentially pro-Russian local oligarch)
18,5% Nacionālā apvienība (national right-wing, currently in government)
6% Latvijas Reģionu apvienība (new-formed Latvian party)
5,4% No sirds Latvijai" (rumored as pro-Russian)

A short analysis: the biggest gainer is Nacionālā apvienība, Saskaņa has fewer than excepted votes. No major changes in the current government are predicted.

I can't really comment without giving my antipathies away. NA is way too high (but that was to be expected, considering) and so is ZZS (which I think is notable because of their still relatively recent misgivins about). Let's wait for the actual count, though.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tonton Macoute posted:

I can't really comment without giving my antipathies away. NA is way too high (but that was to be expected, considering) and so is ZZS (which I think is notable because of their still relatively recent misgivins about). Let's wait for the actual count, though.
It's not ethical for me to ask, neither do I insist for you to answer as the matter is private to an utmost extent in my opinion, but I am curious on party you choose to give your vote for, or would vote for in case you abstained from vote.

To be noted, I am not willing to discuss internal politics in any but the briefest details, goal of this question is just a general curiosity about "political alignment" of Latvian goons.

Edit: To be clear, whether if you have voted or have abstained is not relevant to question.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 4, 2014

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Mightypeon posted:

It is actually very simple, as long as you have money and/or connections you can get out of either Kievan or Seperatist jail. Of course you need different connections for getting our of a seperatist jail then for getting out of a Kievan jail, the money is the same though.

The deal with the Berkut commander was propably like "oh gosh, we cant actually prove anything that would hold up in court, let him run to spare us the embarassment and make him look guilty".
It is also possible that he got dissappeared by someone instead of disappearing himself. Depending on what actually happened, and what the guy knew/could prove/"agreed to tell about the whole thing", a surprising variety of powerfull people would want him disappeared.

Example 2 may have been an informal prisoner swap. Dude propably just needed some time to come up with his ransom money. Especially since he propably was just a political prisoner and not actually threatening.
Note that ransom money is propably a better thing than jailing people as far as an eventual reconciliation is concerned.

Ah, the insidious power of propaganda language. It's not 'Kievian', it's 'Ukrainian.'

Such attempts to undermine.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012

Mightypeon posted:

I'm pretty sure the issue isn't that you're capitalizing Kievan as much as using that word instead of Ukrainian.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Braking Gnus posted:

I'm pretty sure the issue isn't that you're capitalizing Kievan as much as using that word instead of Ukrainian.
Russian position is that Ukrainians are not real people, so Mightypeon's language must reflect that.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

Mightypeon posted:

It's funny that you're trying to make the Ukrainians being slaughtered and tortured en masse by Russia's terrorists into some non-people.
Not "ha ha" funny, but funny in that you're becoming increasingly bad at masking your hardon for the slaughter of innocents. And you were pretty bad before.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

That plus arguing that a gradual policy of russification and settlement in Ukrainian lands is a retroactive justification for this land grab, as though "well, we've basically colonized them already, time to make it official" is ever a justification others will accept. It gets used all the time, of course, but nobody expects others to nod and say "Yes that is fair your cause is just".

Arguing that Ukraine is a fake country but one literally named "New Russia" isn't actually is ha-ha funny.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
I don't know if ya'll are just bad at reading things or if, as usual, people in D&D are replying to what they wish the poster had said rather than the actual post because:

Mightypeon posted:

Kievans is iirc properly capitalized because it refers to a civil war faction. As far as I understand it, "Confederates" is also capitalized when you are writing about the US civil war.

He is using Kievan to describe the Kiev government and the people who support it. I know that most of you seem to believe that every separatist is a Russian plant but if a person hypothetically believed that there were a large number of people in the east who were opposed to the Kiev government, they would still be Ukrainians just like the people in the west!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Maarek posted:

I don't know if ya'll are just bad at reading things or if, as usual, people in D&D are replying to what they wish the poster had said rather than the actual post because:

He is using Kievan to describe the Kiev government and the people who support it. I know that most of you seem to believe that every separatist is a Russian plant but if a person hypothetically believed that there were a large number of people in the east who were opposed to the Kiev government, they would still be Ukrainians just like the people in the west!

If they were defining themselves by their separatism, then they wouldn't be called Ukrainians. The government of Ukraine, and its supporters, should be referred to as Ukrainians.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Except not all of them even want to separate, some just want federalization or, certain political demands, or just plain don't like the current government. Russia is exploiting their dissatisfaction to support the separatists who are a much smaller chunk of the east than people who are just pissed off at Kiev. Those people are still Ukranians even if they don't like the government in Kiev.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

No one refers to Americans as "Washingtonians" or Russians as "Muscovites". Mightypeon's being dishonest.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

During the American civil war people DID refer to the legitimate United States government as 'the north' or 'the union', though. If you don't think what is happening in Ukraine is a civil war you are free to disagree with him, but that does not make him dishonest.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Are you trying to paint the war in Ukraine as an East versus West civil war? Because it's not.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

SoggyBobcat posted:

Are you trying to paint the war in Ukraine as an East versus West civil war? Because it's not.

If you want to argue with Mightypeon about why this war isn't a civil war then have at it, that's the point of this forum. Someone seeing a thing in a way that is different than your own view does not make them a liar, which is what you called him.

All those jokes about how Eastern Europe is perpetually 20 years behind the USA culturally... I remember first seeing this in the 90s with Bill Clinton's face, but maybe that's an even older gag?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Maarek posted:

All those jokes about how Eastern Europe is perpetually 20 years behind the USA culturally... I remember first seeing this in the 90s with Bill Clinton's face, but maybe that's an even older gag?
That's a joke as old as toilet paper.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Beholde! Yon tapestre embroidered with the lykness of H.M. Queen Isabella of Spain fore the purpose of wyping thy rearmost partes.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Mightypeon posted:

If you want the analogy, Ukraine is to Russia what Austria is to Germany.
"Hitler did nothing wrong" ~fyad Mightypeon

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Illegal Username posted:

"Hitler did nothing wrong" ~fyad Mightypeon

Well, he is German.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Maarek posted:

Beholde! Yon tapestre embroidered with the lykness of H.M. Queen Isabella of Spain fore the purpose of wyping thy rearmost partes.

Okay, I've been ragging on you but this is a pretty good one.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Maarek posted:

Except not all of them even want to separate

Yes, and the polite green men who'll organize a referendum on joining Russia are sure to give them between 3% and 9% of the votes.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Where can I buy this amazing thing? Do they ship by pallets? Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Mightypeon posted:

It is worth noting that the American Civil War was, in fact, a civil war and not an attempt by Spain/France/Mexico/Canada/etc to destabilize the region and create a puppet regime.

It's also worth noting that Novorussia has never existed in any meaningful context but you already know that, you silly goose :3:

• Locked thread