Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

CoasterMaster posted:

I hope everyone that supports dropping the normal headphone jack for lightning headphones never needs to charge their device while listening to music.

You can buy the Y-adapter for only $29!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

dantheman650 posted:

Now that it's been a bit, what's the recommendation on updating to 8 or not on a 4s?

It's not terrible but everything is noticeably slower and using my wife's 4s which is still on 7 feels like using a newer phone. I don't think the widgets and extensions are worth it really.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

CoasterMaster posted:

I hope everyone that supports dropping the normal headphone jack for lightning headphones never needs to charge their device while listening to music.

I never need to do that.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

smackfu posted:

I never need to do that.

I do when I'm driving. :ohdear:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
You can finally verify if an iPhone you are buying or selling is locked or not:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/10/avoid-buying-locked-iphones-with-apples-activation-lock-status-page/

This is long overdue.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I wonder why Ars is using the word "locked" to describe that when locking and phones have an entire other meaning.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Jumping into the headphone chat, they technically could make the phone almost as thin as they want and not have an issue. There is nothing saying that a 3.5mm plug has to be a complete cylinder. So long as you have contact points, the jack itself could be split and only connect on two sides.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

CoasterMaster posted:

It would have two lightning holes.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Just make the phone so thin you can actually insert it into your ear canal.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

withak posted:

That's really stupid and would never happen.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I think the phone

won't get that much thinner to the point

where this is a problem.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

withak posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTc--4jz0GQ

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

Yes it would.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah replacing one hole for another makes no sense.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
TIL iPhone has a lightning hole

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Actually, the phone already has 2 lightning holes depending on how good you are at math

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The loving phone doesn't need to be any thinner.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

But you know it will get thinner anyway

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

I can't wait until I have to deal with creases in my phones.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I have a friend with a 5 that's been experiencing really rapid battery drain (like 4 hours to go from 100% to 20%, screen off) for some time. I think she has an issue with her power button not working as well. It's the end of her contract so she figures she'll get a 6 anyway. The phone works, is she eligible for the various trade-in offers even at a reduced price? She's with AT&T but I don't know if the Apple store has anything equivalent.

I also thought that there was a certain battery issue that Apple was doing free replacements on. Is it the swollen battery thing? Because I was thinking that she could get a new one, flip it, then get a 6.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

lovely battery and non-working power button is exactly the condition my 5 was in before I got the 6. Traded it back to ATT for $200 credit no questions asked.

Kailtor
Jun 7, 2005

fucking kailtor

Ask me about my lifetime subscription

:ughh: :ughh:

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I have a friend with a 5 that's been experiencing really rapid battery drain (like 4 hours to go from 100% to 20%, screen off) for some time. I think she has an issue with her power button not working as well. It's the end of her contract so she figures she'll get a 6 anyway. The phone works, is she eligible for the various trade-in offers even at a reduced price? She's with AT&T but I don't know if the Apple store has anything equivalent.

I also thought that there was a certain battery issue that Apple was doing free replacements on. Is it the swollen battery thing? Because I was thinking that she could get a new one, flip it, then get a 6.

There is a recall on both the battery and the power button for iphone 5. You can take it in and they will fix it for free if it qualifies.

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone5-battery/
https://www.apple.com/support/iphone5-sleepwakebutton/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

If the battery is swollen at all, take it in and they will most likely replace it regardless of warranty.

I just got mine replaced for lovely battery/swollen battery. They'll give you just the phone from refurb stock.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Has anyone found that since updating the Apple Store app they've permanently got the outlined location arrow on their status bar?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Question Mark Mound posted:

Has anyone found that since updating the Apple Store app they've permanently got the outlined location arrow on their status bar?
It's been like that since iOS 7 came out. It's using background services to look for Apple Store iBeacons. Just turn off its location priviledges or turn off iBeacon support in the app itself.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 4, 2014

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Going further - you can go into Settings > Privacy > Location Services and anything with a purple arrow is what's currently using your location. Be sure to check System Services, too, if you're curious.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I wouldn't even turn off the iBeacon thing for the App Store since in theory it's not burning any extra energy that the phone isn't using already (unless you leave Bluetooth off). In the case of the Apple Store app, the outlined arrow just means "hey this app is specifically on the lookout for iBeacons" but it's not using GPS as far as I know.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Outline arrow indicates any sort of passive location checking. The same thing happens if you set up a geofence in Reminders or turn on Google Now. It basically just hooks into the periodic location check the phone already does and raises an event if it's close enough to the specified region, so there's very little extra power consumption, if that's what you're concerned about.

Kailtor
Jun 7, 2005

fucking kailtor

Ask me about my lifetime subscription

:ughh: :ughh:

carry on then posted:

Outline arrow indicates any sort of passive location checking. The same thing happens if you set up a geofence in Reminders or turn on Google Now. It basically just hooks into the periodic location check the phone already does and raises an event if it's close enough to the specified region, so there's very little extra power consumption, if that's what you're concerned about.

Kind of annoying to have it there if you don't plan on going to an Apple store in the next 8-10 months.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Kailtor posted:

Kind of annoying to have it there if you don't plan on going to an Apple store in the next 8-10 months.
That's why you can turn that feature off :)

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Do people normally just leave Bluetooth on all the time? Unless I'm in someone's car who has Bluetooth connectivity I have no need for it and leave it off.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

ShoogaSlim posted:

Do people normally just leave Bluetooth on all the time? Unless I'm in someone's car who has Bluetooth connectivity I have no need for it and leave it off.

I don't notice a difference, so yes?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

ShoogaSlim posted:

Uh you need Bluetooth for airdrop so of course I leave it on all the time!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

My battery doesn't die on me so I don't janitor my phone. Also Bluetooth is needed for Handoff (many of the new Continuity niceties, actually) so yes I leave it on.

Gandhi Theft Auto
May 15, 2007

Why does it sometimes take like 20 attempts to drag an app to another home screen jesus christ

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

ShoogaSlim posted:

Powering the screen up to turn it off and on when required probably uses more battery than just leaving it on.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I literally never use bluetooth for anything, and I hate seeing the little icon on my screen so I leave it off, but yeah it pretty much has a negligble effect on your battery life.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Gandhi Theft Auto posted:

Why does it sometimes take like 20 attempts to drag an app to another home screen jesus christ

Do you have Parkinson's disease OP?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I use it such a rare amount and I dislike the icon being there so I never have it on.

When I upgrade to Yosemite I suspect I'll use Airdrop a lot more so I'll leave it on. Also, none of my friends are nerdy enough to have any idea what Airdrop is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's been like that since iOS 7 came out. It's using background services to look for Apple Store iBeacons. Just turn off its location priviledges or turn off iBeacon support in the app itself.
I can't remember denying access to it for my iPhone 5 on iOS 7, it definitely knew when I was near the only Apple Store in my country but that icon never came up. Weird. I guess I'll disable it since I rarely really need to go!