Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Aside from the immediate tragedy, I wonder what this will do to other vaccination drives in developing countries; it's not like there's a dearth of mistrust of Western doctors already.

---

Measles vaccination mix-up leaves 15 infants dead in northern Syria

Muscle relaxant given to up to 75 children in an error perhaps caused by the similarities of drug packaging

Medics carrying out a measles vaccination in northern Syria instead administered an anaesthetic to up to 75 infants, killing 15, a preliminary investigation into their deaths has found.

The report says an anaesthetic, atracuriam, which is used as a muscle relaxant in surgery was given to the infants, perhaps mixed with the measles vaccine, which had been delivered by aid agencies conducting a mass vaccination program in opposition parts of northern Syria.

The error is believed to have occurred because the packaging of the anaesthetic drug was similar to that of the solution used to mix the measles vaccination.

The drug is usually fatal when given to infants in the doses administered, but older children can survive low dosages due to their higher body weights. The fatalities occurred in children between 6 and 18 months.

The children all presented symptoms within half an hour of being given the drug and were suffering from diarrhoea, shock and respiratory failure. Most of the fatalities were dead before they reached a hospital, according to a local activist.

Syrian opposition officials have ordered an urgent probe into the deaths and the health minister in the interim administration resigned on Wednesday. Earlier reports had suggested the toll may have been as high as 34 and that deliberate attempts may have been made to poison the children.

However inquiries are now focusing on clinical negligence and have vowed to prosecute anyone found responsible.

Save the Children, which provides medical aid to northern Syria, but was not involved in administering the vaccine said: "Save the Children is appalled and deeply saddened by the news of the deaths of a number of children and the hospitalisation of many more after receiving vaccinations for measles in northern Syria. Save the Children will help the authorities in any way we can to help find out what has happened."

International aid agencies have greatly restricted access to northern Syria and have been struggling to deal with massive humanitarian needs caused by a civil war that has led to close to half of Syria's population being displaced. The state-run medical system has all but collapsed in much of the country and people in opposition areas have no access to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
It's not like mixups don't happen in first world countries, with things like potassium given by mistake, or drugs given at 10x their intended dose.

Edit: not to minimise it at all, this is much worse than any other similar mixup I've heard of and will probably be terrible for vaccination rates as well.

Adenoid Dan fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 18, 2014

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
I need to vent some and I found the perfect place. Hooray.

Some I'm working in ResEd, basically a sort of dorm for a private school in rich white rear end suburbia. The school, being full of actual cool people with good ideas, realized that they were super white rear end and snowflakey so they opened up this dorm to a. bring in international kids (who are generally even richer since holy poo poo Chinese new money) and scholarship kids from the Bronx. Weird mix. Anyway, we've got one rich rear end white kid in the dorm and of course he's the most problematic, mostly because of mom. It started with the food allergies list. Peanuts (legit, I've had to epipen kids before) gluten... Okay, I know some people with problems with that and then there's a shirt list of foods. All-natural beef, bison, lamb, peppers, peas, some fruits, Himalayan Red Rice, Himalayan salt... These aren't his allergies this is what he's allowed to eat. He's 'allergic' to everything else.

Mom rolls in and she's just the worst sort of person. He's got these allergies because she got him vaccinated. She puts her hand on her chest. "Lot of guilt there. Lot of guilt." Like I should love her for martyring herself for this. Has a doctor diagnosed him? Well, no, (aside from the peanuts) but they just know. Garlic and onions "make his head fuzzy." He's "not himself" if he eats white rice. Those drat vaccines. Of course the kids just wants to eat loving pizza and (surprise) nothing loving awful is happening to him.

I mean, the kids messed in the head and he's got what my own amateur diagnosis would be something on the ADD spectrum. All about music, can't handle math. MOSTLY though his parents have constantly told him that he's the kid that they hosed up and how horrible it is that he's helpless. That's a great way to build self esteem. Plus they've always done everything for him, so he's 14 with like zero life skills. Meanwhile he gets to hang with his siblings they "got right" and can eat anything they want and they're perfect and wonderful, and they don't have weird hobbies like -gasp- playing music (they'll be so glad when this phase is over, don't let him play too much guitar) So naturally this kids is a shitbird who resents his mother, I mean Jesus. And he's totally hapless which just doubles his frustration.

Plus he's got to take these supplements (oddly enough, daily 'antibiotics' which I sincerely hope are woo because while that's a not woo thing it'd be wildly irresponsible for a doc to prescribe an open ended antibiotic course. Like wow.) and go to a cranial sacral appointment (every Wednesday 5 towns over, that's not a problem, right?) which is I guess a nice head massage that balances the fluids in the brain to make his stomach feel better.

And what is Mom's profession? Any guesses?

Oncology nurse.

:gonk:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

the JJ posted:

And what is Mom's profession? Any guesses?

Oncology nurse.

:gonk:

It feels like every time this issue comes up on Facebook (my brothers like to tag me in the comments and watch what happens when I notice...) there's a nurse there talking about how terrible vaccines are. It never fails! Is this kid an indigo child as well, and how strictly do you follow the diet plan?

My fave though was some dumbshit from high school that was going on and on about the doctor she worked for said no to vaccines, and of course the "doctor" was in acupuncture. Usually I get a few good hits in before my buddy from college jumps in with "MY PARENTS HAD loving POLIO VACCINATE YOUR KIDS YOU rear end in a top hat" which is always good times.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I had to look up Carniosacral Therapy

Wikipedia posted:

Craniosacral therapy (CST), or cranial-sacral therapy, is a form of bodywork or alternative therapy focused primarily on the concept of "primary respiration" and regulating the flow of cerebrospinal fluid by using therapeutic touch to manipulate the synarthrodial joints of the cranium. To do this, a practitioner will apply light touches to a patient's skull, face, spine and pelvis.[1] Craniosacral therapy was developed by John Upledger, D.O. in the 1970s, and is loosely based on osteopathy in the cranial field (OCF), which was developed in the 1930s by William Garner Sutherland.[1][2]
According to the American Cancer Society, although CST may relieve the symptoms of stress or tension, "available scientific evidence does not support claims that craniosacral therapy helps in treating cancer or any other disease".[1] CST has been characterized as pseudoscience[3] and its practice has been called quackery.[4]

Canial osteopathy, a forerunner of CST, was originated by osteopath William Sutherland (1873–1954) in 1898–1900. While looking at a disarticulated skull, Sutherland was struck by the idea that the cranial sutures of the temporal bones where they meet the parietal bones were "beveled, like the gills of a fish, indicating articular mobility for a respiratory mechanism."[5]

The evidence base for CST is sparse and lacks a demonstrated biologically plausible mechanism. In the absence of rigorous, well-designed randomized controlled trials,[27][28] it has been characterized as pseudoscience,[3] and its practice called quackery.[4]

So a guy noted that the cranial sutures look kind of like gills, and then some nutcases took that to mean that you could heal cancer with a relaxing scalp massage

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Solkanar512 posted:

It feels like every time this issue comes up on Facebook (my brothers like to tag me in the comments and watch what happens when I notice...) there's a nurse there talking about how terrible vaccines are. It never fails! Is this kid an indigo child as well, and how strictly do you follow the diet plan?

My fave though was some dumbshit from high school that was going on and on about the doctor she worked for said no to vaccines, and of course the "doctor" was in acupuncture. Usually I get a few good hits in before my buddy from college jumps in with "MY PARENTS HAD loving POLIO VACCINATE YOUR KIDS YOU rear end in a top hat" which is always good times.

Your buddy's a loving hero with the best trump card possible. Brilliant.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Solkanar512 posted:

Indigo children are special snowflakes that are super duper special next stage of human evolution or some bullshit right? Nah, this is just their gently caress up kid. Like seriously that's how they treat it and that's how he's internalized it. No matter what he does he'll always be at best managing, surviving this handicap (through his mother's heroic efforts of course) a grim reminder for their other kids. It's just sad.

And we have to enforce the diet because it's that or wrangle with mom for doctor's notes and then wrangle with disproving whatever quack's they have feeding them this BS and blahblahblah mom would just pull him from the program. But we have an open kitchen stocked for the rest of the kids and the school itself is totally DGAF about it* so we're cooking him a special side meal every dinner and he's probably cheating all the time anyway. :allears:

*I actually really like the school, it really does seem like a bunch of teachers who wanted to run their own poo poo and have their own curriculum and not just a place for white folks to escape desegregated public schools and feel morally superior because they're dropping $$$ on their kid's education for the sake of it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Posting this poo poo cause it's hilarious:

quote:

What are the behavioral patterns of Indigos?

1.They are born feeling and knowing they are special and should be revered.
2.An indigo knows they belong here as they are and expect you to realize it as well.
3.These children are more confident and have a higher sense of self-worth.
4.Absolute authority, the kind with no choices, negotiation, or input from them does not sit well. The educational system is a good example.
5.Some of the rules we so carefully followed as children seem silly to them and they fight them.
6.Rigid ritualistic systems are considered archaic to an indigo child. They feel everything should be given creative thought.
7.They are insightful and often have a better idea of method then what has been in place for years. This makes them seem like "system busters."
8.Adults often view an indigo as anti-social unless they are with other indigos. Often they feel lost and misunderstood, which causes them to go within.
9.The old control methods like, "Wait till your father gets home," have no affect on these children.
10The fulfillment of their personal needs is important to them, and they will let you know.

Are you or your children an indigo?

These are the characteristics of an indigo as stated in The Care and Feeding of Your Indigo Child:
  • Strong willed
  • Born in 1978 or later
  • Headstrong
  • Creative, with an artistic flair for music, jewelry making, poetry, etc.
  • Prone to addictions
  • An "old soul" as if they’re 13 going on 43
  • Intuitive or psychic, possibly with a history of seeing angels or deceased people
  • An isolationist, either through aggressive acting-out, or through fragile introversion
  • Independent and proud, even if they’re constantly asking you for money
  • Possess a deep desire to help the world in a big way
  • Wavers between low self-esteem and grandiosity
  • Bores easily
  • Has probably been diagnosed as having ADD or ADHD
  • Prone to insomnia, restless sleep, nightmares, or difficulty/fear of falling asleep
  • Has a history of depression, or even suicidal thoughts or attempts
  • Looks for real, deep, and lasting friendships
  • Easily bonds with plants or animals.
If you possess 14 or more of these traits you are an indigo. If 11 to 13, you’re probably an indigo in training. If you’re an adult with these traits you could be a "lightworker."
http://www.2012-spiritual-growth-prophecies.com/indigo-child.html

It's the optimum combination of "Can apply to anybody" and "My child's misbehavior is actually a superpower".

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's the optimum combination of "Can apply to anybody" and "My child's misbehavior is actually a superpower".

Plus some desperation to ignore severe mental illness. "Indigo children are wonderful future leaders of humanity who have no stable sense of self and often try to kill themselves."

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I honestly thought the Indigo Child thing had died out and they'd moved to a new term for "no seriously my kid is actually the most special ever"

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

They're called "Autistic Spectrum" now

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

A lot of that reads bipolar to me.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I was born in 1978, is this all my fault?

Can indigo children see goblins wearing human skin like in that Dean Koontz book?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Zachack posted:

I was born in 1978, is this all my fault?

Can indigo children see goblins wearing human skin like in that Dean Koontz book?

What confuses me the most about that is that I'm pretty sure people born in 1978 and for 2 decades later are now adults and no longer children. But theyre "lightworkers"? Is it like the Jedi where if youre not indoctrinated as a child you can't be trained?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

quote:

The old control methods like, "Wait till your father gets home," have no affect on these children.

:lol: This nuclear option is rendered completely ineffective by INDIGO CHILDREN!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
So "indigo child" is code for "hugely selfish rear end in a top hat" or "has severe mental illness" and they encourage this, yes?

Call the loving CPS. :ughh:

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

So "indigo child" is code for "hugely selfish rear end in a top hat" or "has severe mental illness" and they encourage this, yes?

I actually just read a book http://www.amazon.com/The-Psychopath-Inside-Neuroscientists-Personal/dp/1591846005/ about a literal psychopath (as in, literally does not give a gently caress about other people's feelings or well-being, even though he can recognize that they have feelings and that he can hurt them, with the brain scans to prove it) who had been raised in a very loving, supportive environment without abuse or bullying.

He turned out perfectly fine, quite successful in his career, no criminal record, never murdered anyone (no incentive to, basically, since it'd cost him his nice comfy life), has a wife and several kids, etc, etc, and concluded that people like him just needed extra care and support from schools and family while growing up to prevent them from turning into dangerous killers.

While he was investigating himself and his condition, he talked to some people about his childhood (without mentioning the brain scans bit) and he mentioned that one of them told him he sounded like a perfect example of an ~indigo child~.

So... basically, yes.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Most of the time "indigo child" is code for "my kid is thoroughly average but I really want them to be special. any tiny quirk they have will be overhyped".

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
What happens to all these indigo children when they reach their teenaged years or adulthood and they get exposed to the real world outside their rubber walled nursery? I'm guessing it's loving brutal.

And hilarious.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Nintendo Kid posted:

I honestly thought the Indigo Child thing had died out and they'd moved to a new term for "no seriously my kid is actually the most special ever"

If you meet one of these idiots int he wild, just say "oh...that's...(pause like you are trying not to hurt their feelings) nice. My son/daughter is a cerulean child."

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Gorilla Salad posted:

What happens to all these indigo children when they reach their teenaged years or adulthood and they get exposed to the real world outside their rubber walled nursery? I'm guessing it's loving brutal.

And hilarious.

The later. Very much the later.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Some anti-vaccination folks on Twitter are claiming the Duncan Ebola case is a hoax to scare people into getting vaccinated for things.

:negative:

Edit: Horking, I'm increasingly certain that sociopaths, at least, can be adequately socialized by a good upbringing.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Some anti-vaccination folks on Twitter are claiming the Duncan Ebola case is a hoax to scare people into getting vaccinated for things.

Edit: Horking, I'm increasingly certain that sociopaths, at least, can be adequately socialized by a good upbringing.

I've heard from conspiracy theorists that Ebola is actually spread by tainted vaccines that we send to Africa so we can kill off all the Africans and steal their resources just like we did with smallpox blankets in America.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Luigi Thirty posted:

I've heard from conspiracy theorists that Ebola is actually spread by tainted vaccines that we send to Africa so we can kill off all the Africans and steal their resources just like we did with smallpox blankets in America.

Doesn't it cross those idiots' minds that if the US were at the point where they just want to murder everyone in a country no fucks given, there are more effective ways than sending ~ebola tainted vaccines~ :freep:

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

ahahahahahaha :freep:

How can anyone be so broken?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

It hurts me in the brain to think that people like this exist. :(

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
These people who think that disease warfare is an actual thing that people would be willing to use are slightly crazy. One of the defining features of disease is that it doesn't 'discriminate'. There's very few effective diseases that could be adapted into a weapon that would not be equally as devastating to the people unleashing it.

I mean, even during the Middle Ages this principle was sort of understood. The whole Momento Mori/Danse Macabre motif specifically showed that nobody was immune to the effects of the plague. Everyone from peasants to royalty, death came for all.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I have a friend who's been trying to get me to watch Chuck, but the more I learn about this guy the harder it's going to get. It's a shame that he deleted his blog posts about Sesame Street brainwashing kids into being unamerican.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Ddraig posted:

These people who think that disease warfare is an actual thing that people would be willing to use are slightly crazy. One of the defining features of disease is that it doesn't 'discriminate'. There's very few effective diseases that could be adapted into a weapon that would not be equally as devastating to the people unleashing it.

I mean, even during the Middle Ages this principle was sort of understood. The whole Momento Mori/Danse Macabre motif specifically showed that nobody was immune to the effects of the plague. Everyone from peasants to royalty, death came for all.

So what you're saying is....

:unsmigghh:

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Ebola?! I better get a flu shot and MMR!

Seriously though, get your flu shots people, and encourage everyone else to get flu shots. Don't skip it because "I never get sick anyway". You'll help protect the elderly and children and people with compromised immune systems who nevertheless need to go grocery shopping.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

It hurts me in the brain to think that people like this exist. :(

Every Baldwin is poisonous and belligerent, they just have different ideologies.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Mo_Steel posted:

So what you're saying is....

:unsmigghh:

Ebola?! I better get a flu shot and MMR!

Seriously though, get your flu shots people, and encourage everyone else to get flu shots. Don't skip it because "I never get sick anyway". You'll help protect the elderly and children and people with compromised immune systems who nevertheless need to go grocery shopping.

The flu loving sucks, don't be a dumbass like me, forget to sign up for it at work and then catch it.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Gorilla Salad posted:

And hilarious.

I had a good number of these traits growing up (though my parents were bright enough not to feed them, they more or less insisted that I go to Univerity out of town), and I can confirm that the first year in the real world is brutal and probably really hilarious. But then you grow up and learn to be a real boy and become a better person. Same as all weird learned behaviours, once you're exposed to all sorts of people and not allowed to pull bullshit you snap out of it right quick, and I've never been happier.

The diagnosed depression and ensuing meds alongside offically recognized learning disabilities helped too (again thank my parents, who knew what was up). Believe me, being weird is really overrated, normality is sort of awesome because you can actually talk to people. Glad I never knew about this Indigo children crap, it probably would have just made the learning process that much more of a struggle.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Ddraig posted:

That's not entirely true with regards to smallpox, and how it was used in colonial times. The history is pretty spotty though, as it would be. http://www.history.org/Foundation/journal/Spring04/warfare.cfm - there's contention over whether it was used in Australia's colonization but it seems settled that the virus wouldn't survive the trip.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ddraig posted:

Didn't stop the Mongols from chucking infected corpses into cities though.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

blowfish posted:

ahahahahahaha :freep:

How can anyone be so broken?

The evidence seems to be piling up that Adam Baldwin was not in fact acting when he was playing Jayne in Firefly.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
His character in Chuck is literally a Reagan-worshipping 2nd amendment loving libertarian crazy person.

SedanChair posted:

Every Baldwin is poisonous and belligerent, they just have different ideologies.

He's not actually related to them. Unless you mean that the name itself is cursed.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 5, 2014

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

point of return posted:

The evidence seems to be piling up that Adam Baldwin was not in fact acting when he was playing Jayne in Firefly.

Browncoats unite. Coats brown with ebola-induced diarrhea and barf, that is.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

point of return posted:

I prefer to think of him as the single most dedicated method actor in history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

DarkCrawler posted:

He's not actually related to them. Unless you mean that the name itself is cursed.

I'm proud of this, it means I haven't taken the time to learn the number of real Baldwins.

• Locked thread