Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Raku posted:

Tomino has been great with women in his last two shows (where he had tons of creative control). In fact you could argue that women are the most important characters in Turn A, his magnum opus. So I don't know why you'd be so quick to start complaining when there's such a small sample size thus far. Dianna wasn't even introduced at this point in Turn A.

There's a good argument to be made for Sochie as the actual main character of Turn A Gundam. Not physically, since Loran has way more screentime, but as the audience surrogate character and also the character with the strongest and most defined set of arcs.

Loran comes from the dang moon, Sochie has a much more relate-able background even though she's fairly well off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Raku posted:

So do you guys think that Aida is his sister? Although I guess unless clone/gene manipulation shenanigans happened that wouldn't give her the same irises. But it seems possible that he could have been lied to about who is his mother since it's probably a given he'll wind up with the space pirates.

Someone told me this to get at me because they were angry I was making the previously argued about accusations about the show, and then said it(along with something else) wasn't spoilers because it was in some promo material I never saw. I'm glad my calling it spoilers has been vindicated.

Apparently, the answer is yes.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kanos posted:

Scuttlebutt was that Loran was originally supposed to be a girl but Tomino was flatly denied the ability to have a female protagonist, which is why the Laura Rolla stuff is a tongue in cheek "gently caress you" to Tomino's bosses.

Loran was always desgined as male.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Gaius Marius posted:

In design phases, yes. The rumors I remember were during the concept/scripting phase, like that super weird original ZZ concept that got translated in the Gundam thread where Emma survives until 2/3 through ZZ and none of Judau's friends except Roux exist.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Gaius Marius posted:

The whole bottom-right corner DOES look incredibly girly...

Goddamn though, Loran McFly looks like a cool guy.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kanos posted:

In design phases, yes. The rumors I remember were during the concept/scripting phase, like that super weird original ZZ concept that got translated in the Gundam thread where Emma survives until 2/3 through ZZ and none of Judau's friends except Roux exist.

Never trust unsourced rumors supposedly translated from Japanese. There has never been anything to corroborate the Loran was a female theory. When Loran is male in the show and male in the concept art, deciding that he was originally female because some guy told you on a forums is dumb.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

Never trust unsourced rumors supposedly translated from Japanese. There has never been anything to corroborate the Loran was a female theory. When Loran is male in the show and male in the concept art, deciding that he was originally female because some guy told you on a forums is dumb.

No doubt it's an unfounded rumor, just like that rumor that Tomino publicly shat on SEED and declared Lacus a fantastic Gundam villain. It's basically fanwank wish fulfillment.

The fact remains that there has never been a sole female Gundam protagonist and there probably never will be. The closest we got was Christina and 0080 is very much a dual protagonist show.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kanos posted:

No doubt it's an unfounded rumor, just like that rumor that Tomino publicly shat on SEED and declared Lacus a fantastic Gundam villain. It's basically fanwank wish fulfillment.

If you know this than don't post poo poo like this.

Kanos posted:

Scuttlebutt was that Loran was originally supposed to be a girl but Tomino was flatly denied the ability to have a female protagonist, which is why the Laura Rolla stuff is a tongue in cheek "gently caress you" to Tomino's bosses.

People start thinking it's more than an unfounded rumor.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

If you know this than don't post poo poo like this.

People start thinking it's more than an unfounded rumor.

Do you know what "scuttlebutt" means? Because it doesn't mean "objective fact".

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kanos posted:

Do you know what "scuttlebutt" means? Because it doesn't mean "objective fact".

Yeah I also know that every single time I've ever seen turn a brought up I see the same loving Loran was a girl thing brought up so I feel compelled to attempt to eradicate this stupid rumor.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The rumor about Loran goes all they way back to before the show aired, you can still find mentions of it on the archived Gundam Mailing List from 1999. Until someone scans every Animage and Newtype from 1997-2000 and translates anything that might be related it'll just remain a rumor.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
The thread is calm again.

karlor posted:

"How should we animate the credits?"

"Line dancing?"

"OK!"

Looks more like the can-can.

Too early to form an opinion, but I'm definitely curious enough to watch more and form it.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Raku posted:

So do you guys think that Aida is his sister? Although I guess unless clone/gene manipulation shenanigans happened that wouldn't give her the same irises. But it seems possible that he could have been lied to about who is his mother since it's probably a given he'll wind up with the space pirates.

My theory would be designer children of some kind. Secret project that developed the G-Self also had a bunch of kids made as pilots, who for whatever reason got scattered about, and then are being slowly reintroduced to each other as the plot moves along.

I mean, I'm more than willing to suspect a third faction at play here - or a sub-faction within the Capital. Because whilst Dellensen and others were clearly trying to keep the G-Self from being stolen, he evidently knew nothing about Monday, and given the speculation in-universe, neither do the Capital Army folks.

Something that's also telling is that our NotChar for the season is wearing the Capital Army uniform. So unless Tomino is going to subvert franchise tradition (and he may very well), the show is almost certainly going to set itself up in a fashion that allows for Bell and co to fight him.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Astro Nut posted:

My theory would be designer children of some kind. Secret project that developed the G-Self also had a bunch of kids made as pilots, who for whatever reason got scattered about, and then are being slowly reintroduced to each other as the plot moves along.

I mean, I'm more than willing to suspect a third faction at play here - or a sub-faction within the Capital. Because whilst Dellensen and others were clearly trying to keep the G-Self from being stolen, he evidently knew nothing about Monday, and given the speculation in-universe, neither do the Capital Army folks.

Something that's also telling is that our NotChar for the season is wearing the Capital Army uniform. So unless Tomino is going to subvert franchise tradition (and he may very well), the show is almost certainly going to set itself up in a fashion that allows for Bell and co to fight him.

You mean besides the fact Bell is wearing a pirate pilot suit in both opening and ending. Girl Power girl and Bunny girl both are wearing Captial Army uniforms, so there might be some friends vs. friends conflict.
The Elf mechas are also loving huge, almost twice as high as the G-Self.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Astro Nut posted:

ing is that our NotChar for the season is wearing the Capital Army uniform. So unless Tomino is going to subvert franchise tradition (and he may very well), the show is almost certainly going to set itself up in a fashion that allows for Bell and co to fight him.

Isn't Mask just Bell's friend? It looks like they have the exact same hair and since this is anime two main characters can not have the same hair style.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Ethiser posted:

Isn't Mask just Bell's friend? It looks like they have the exact same hair and since this is anime two main characters can not have the same hair style.

...I actually had missed that due to the uniform difference. By god, the mask works.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I just saw the first two episodes. It's too early to say much about the story, but goddamn the visuals are loving pretty as hell. It's so colorful and alien and gorgeous. It kind of looks like a Final Fantasy game. I enjoyed it so far.

Raku posted:

The thought crossed my mind while watching it, too.

Also I bet the space pirates are really the good guys. The don't seem that bad so far, plus we've seen artwork of Bell in their uniform, and Not Char in the capital uniform. Plus, the space-pope and other skeevy old guy on the capital side raise my suspicions.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Reconquista in G: Char is My Senpai

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
My main concern is that the pacing is so hosed up that there's no characterisation.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Szmitten posted:

My main concern is that the pacing is so hosed up that there's no characterisation.

I didn't really notice any glaring holes in characterisation to be honest. I don't like the fact that the cheerleaders are completely extraneous to the plot right now but just hang around whatever's going on anyway, but I'm guessing that soon Bell and the pirate girl will be off doing pirate poo poo, and the cheerleaders will play more of a supporting cast for Monday and whatever goes on in the capital.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
...see what really caught me off guard was the first episode all 'alright we're going into SPACE buckle up everyone' and normally in Gundam that means it's space arc time but then next episode they're back on Earth. Where was the elevator going? Why were they on it exactly? I got kinda confused.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gyra_Solune posted:

...see what really caught me off guard was the first episode all 'alright we're going into SPACE buckle up everyone' and normally in Gundam that means it's space arc time but then next episode they're back on Earth. Where was the elevator going? Why were they on it exactly? I got kinda confused.

They're going up to train and do repairs on the cable.

It... it doesn't really explain why the cheerleaders are there beyond 'the got snuck onboard somehow or something?"

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

ImpAtom posted:

It... it doesn't really explain why the cheerleaders are there beyond 'the got snuck onboard somehow or something?"

Yeah, they were a bunch of trainees on a training mission. Probably not unreasonable to think they weren't going to stay in space too long in the first place.

The cheerleaders apparently bought tickets. Manny says it's a tradition at their school (to go up with the trainees and cheer them on, I guess?). They do say they're getting off at the next "Nut," so I imagine they weren't going to stay for the entire mission.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

ImpAtom posted:

It is a part of the fine husband finding tradition.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

muike posted:

It is a part of the fine husband finding tradition.

A ton of the setting was explained in these 2 episodes, but almost all in single lines, and the pacing was very fast already.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Hi guys, this show's inspired art style caught my eye (really love the rough, 80's-esque outlines) and I was wondering if you think it's worth following based on what is available thus far. For reference the last Gundam I watched was 00 and found it to be merely 'ok', didn't bother with the second season.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Doflamingo posted:

Hi guys, this show's inspired art style caught my eye (really love the rough, 80's-esque outlines) and I was wondering if you think it's worth following based on what is available thus far. For reference the last Gundam I watched was 00 and found it to be merely 'ok', didn't bother with the second season.

Yes.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Doflamingo posted:

I liked what I've seen, and if you don't like it, you'll only have lost a couple of hours before you put it down.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I like how the pink-haired girl who is some kind of oppressed minority completely and utterly loathes Aida.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'm in the UK, but alltheanime is telling me I can't watch on their site because of the video's privacy settings. I need to pay to see it on Vimeo, is that right? I thought I could see the first couple free? Disabling AdBlock didn't help.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm in the UK, but alltheanime is telling me I can't watch on their site because of the video's privacy settings. I need to pay to see it on Vimeo, is that right? I thought I could see the first couple free? Disabling AdBlock didn't help.

SD stream should be free, according to their FB page they were running into problems with Vimeo's regional settings.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

"Yay off of two doubleshifts, time to watch new Gundam. Holy poo poo the threads already got like 300 replies, it must be something!"

:allears:

I liked it! I don't really mind the way the story has been just kinda haphazardly thrown out there so far. Like a lot of others have said, the factions seem to have been explained well enough without having someone infodump specifically who's who and what's what. I expect we'll wind up seeing the pope or some military types talking later on; hell maybe the research division dudes we saw at the end of ep 2, filling in some more of the pieces before long. It is kind of a shame about the gender discrepancy with the cheerleaders and the trainees, but I don't feel like it's a big enough problem to keep me from watching or enjoying the show.

Really loved the art and animation, settings and suit designs! It's such a nice change of pace from a lot of what's out there today.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Apparently the G in this show's title stands for Gender

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

But what does the "g" in Reconguista stand for? :iiam:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Raxivace posted:

But what does the "g" in Reconguista stand for? :iiam:

Same thing. Recongenderuista.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
I just finished the first two episodes and I kinda like it. The only reservation I have is Monday, otherwise, the colourful visuals and general happy atmosphere are enough to keep me on board. But this being a Tomino show, the ending may end up to be like Zambot 3, and I really hope it doesn't happen.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
retarded on monday, captive on tuesday, elevator on wednesday

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

sunburnedcrow posted:

I just finished the first two episodes and I kinda like it. The only reservation I have is Monday, otherwise, the colourful visuals and general happy atmosphere are enough to keep me on board. But this being a Tomino show, the ending may end up to be like Zambot 3, and I really hope it doesn't happen.

Tomino has also made a fair amount of shows that don't end in a lot of death. Considering the tone here I'd be really surprised if that were the case.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

There hasn't been a kill em all Tomino show in 20 years(V Gundam), dudes. He's made much, much happier stuff since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Kanos posted:

There hasn't been a kill em all Tomino show in 20 years(V Gundam), dudes. He's made much, much happier stuff since then.

Yeah, every time I hear people talk about Kill'em All Tomino, it's always along with mentions of all the happy stuff he's done with low death counts. It's bizarre the nickname is still around.

• Locked thread