Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Thanks for this. I tried the dog walking and it was pretty difficult trying to nail the speed down on my first try. They keep trying to laser me :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Did hell fallen ever become somewhat repeatable? That was the one dungeon I never completed without exploits.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

TheRat posted:

Did hell fallen ever become somewhat repeatable? That was the one dungeon I never completed without exploits.

It's always been repeatable for regular/friend/cabal groups. There's not all that much left to luck and random chance if people know what they are doing. Doing it with random pickup pubbies though? Nope. Just, no. Unless you like playing russian roulette with your sanity.

Same goes for facility, but to lesser degree. But enough that it never became a popular group target like the six other ones.

Ankh is actually the only one that was originally shunned but over time became a more common target. Though even with Ankh, I think most people just skip it unless it's with a group that just finished 24/SH smoothly.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
I dunno if it's fair to say it's always been repeatable, solely because of the sheer amount of weird bugs that have afflicted that dungeon over the years. Especially the last boss.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Aside Ascendant occasionally loving off to do more important things, it's not that buggy. Compared to some other dungeons like HE for example.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

We had a good group of decked out people who could do the other nightmares just fine (aside from some facility lottery shenanigans), but we never managed hell fallen :<

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Hey guys! They finally fixed the "working as intended, you're just doing it wrong" bridge spawn!

quote:

Fixed a case where Kamikaz-filth would stop jumping off high places.
All Hyper-Infected Kamikaz-filth now drop the same piece of lore.

Also there is now a hook hand in the item shop.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
gently caress Hell Fallen, I don't even care that much about having to go outside the level and shoot a stationary boss til he dies, I never want to fight double machine tyrants again as long as I live.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein

Fewd posted:

Aside Ascendant occasionally loving off to do more important things, it's not that buggy. Compared to some other dungeons like HE for example.

Yeah, it's not that buggy NOW. On top of Ascendant wandering off, there used to be a bug where afflicts caused the adds to wander off, too. Another fun one was Wicker's script breaking if he didn't kill the adds himself. I'm certain there were more, but I'm straining my memory already here.

Frankenstein Dad fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 12, 2014

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Hell Fallen used to be one massive bug. It was completely bonkers for a very long time.

E: Hell Eternal was like german engineering in comparison.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I'm starting on the new mission pack, and I think I like this guy a whole lot. Ricky Pagan, a Japanese rockabilly guy acting like Elvis and quoting Hunter S. Thompson. :allears:

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.
So I finally got around to playing the latest mission pack, are they amazing missions? I don't know - but they're plenty of fun. It's hard for me to say if they're worth the money as I just get them since I have a grandmaster account, but they're certainly worth playing at some point at least.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014
Of the latest sidestories, I've only run Inbeda's mask mission so far (and cheated shamelessly), but I had a good time with it. One of the things I find less immersive about the setting is how there's all this magic around but we rarely do anything with it but murder. Using empathy beams (even if they were somebody else's) to track down information was fun. Just doing something supernatural that was more involved than "blow up all the things."

And I have to say that I welcome anything that lets me bypass the game's absurd, soul-wracking loading screens, so the Tokyoport's fine by me.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

crawlkill posted:

Of the latest sidestories, I've only run Inbeda's mask mission so far (and cheated shamelessly), but I had a good time with it. One of the things I find less immersive about the setting is how there's all this magic around but we rarely do anything with it but murder. Using empathy beams (even if they were somebody else's) to track down information was fun. Just doing something supernatural that was more involved than "blow up all the things."

I hate to sound like a pinko commie hippie, but i really enjoy the missions where there's no (or very little) combat.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

prefect posted:

I hate to sound like a pinko commie hippie, but i really enjoy the missions where there's no (or very little) combat.

I enjoy them too. They are a nice change of pace. Mob density and agro mechanics are an issue with me in all games. I want less mobs and more fun. I don't like running into mobs every 20 feet. It's mostly a chore rather than a challenge.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
In that regard TSW can be quite awful - ie. when mobs chase you for a long rear end time, and certain debuffs don't drop their stacks until they run their time or the mob who put them on is dead (even if it reset in the meantime and ran back to a mile away from where you are and you're out of combat). There's nothing better than having to wait 10x10 seconds until every individual stack of some stupid DoT dropped so you can eat tacos again.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Dragon has the best debriefs: "Let the light lead you" said Sol Invictus, it's followers devoted and blinded. "March for our new age of mankind" said the empire, and they marched to lonely deaths in far-off lands.

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012
I'd buy this if it went on sale again. I did the free month trial over the summer, and it was on sale at the time, but I've been burned enough on MMOs that I wanted to run out the entire trial first. I have it wishlisted on Steam and Amazon, and it hasn't been on sale since. If they just released a new mission pack, maybe I can hope for a sale soon?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hesh Ballantine posted:

I'd buy this if it went on sale again. I did the free month trial over the summer, and it was on sale at the time, but I've been burned enough on MMOs that I wanted to run out the entire trial first. I have it wishlisted on Steam and Amazon, and it hasn't been on sale since. If they just released a new mission pack, maybe I can hope for a sale soon?

It usually hits the steam Holiday sales like Summer and Christmas. I want to say it was on sale around Halloween last year but I may be wrong.

Do any of you other long time players find it hard to work up the energy to keep playing? I've launched the game probably a dozen or so times since the new content went up but I always decide against playing. Thanks to Fun com actively lying to me about what is and isn't broken, their refusal to her criticism, and the abysmal load times I get in Tokyo I just don't care anymore which is a shame because from what I've played of Tokyo it's been a lot of fun.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Len posted:

It usually hits the steam Holiday sales like Summer and Christmas. I want to say it was on sale around Halloween last year but I may be wrong.

Do any of you other long time players find it hard to work up the energy to keep playing? I've launched the game probably a dozen or so times since the new content went up but I always decide against playing. Thanks to Fun com actively lying to me about what is and isn't broken, their refusal to her criticism, and the abysmal load times I get in Tokyo I just don't care anymore which is a shame because from what I've played of Tokyo it's been a lot of fun.

It comes and goes. I do a lot of PVP in Fusang to try to buy better gear, and it can really bring out the worst in people. Add that to some of the quests (the new bank-heist one, for example) that feel like "cost of magic II" at times, and it's tough to enjoy things enough to want to play.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Len posted:

I just noticed it has been almost a year since I actively played this and that has caused me to want to get in and see whats new.

Moonbloodsflow
Sep 5, 2002
"Hey baby, let's see some of that axe wound"
How can I access the goon run TSW forum? I have a login from a long time ago, it keeps prompting me to add days. I did do a couple surveys but nothing has changed. Is the only way to access them to donate money?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Moonbloodsflow posted:

Is the only way to access them to donate money?

Oh, that's on our end, I think we just stopped paying for the site. Could keep making Frankenstein do it, but really, we only use it for the month or so after any given Issue.

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.
New director letter.

New Halloween mission, golden weekend stuff, issue 10 will bring moveable UI stuff a nightmare area in Tokyo.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Marx posted:

New director letter.

New Halloween mission, golden weekend stuff, issue 10 will bring moveable UI stuff a nightmare area in Tokyo.

oct9th -double AP weekend.
halloween content starts oct20th.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

tuluk posted:

oct9th -double AP weekend.

When will they have a double-augment-drops weekend? I'm going bankrupt trying to scrape together parts every time I get a few hundred AP. :rant:

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

i'm the definition of "filthy casual" player in Secret World.
my 1st character is still bouncing around the starting island.
auxilliary weapons, tokyo, and nightmare dungeons are things i'll never encounter, if everything works out..

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

tuluk posted:

i'm the definition of "filthy casual" player in Secret World.
my 1st character is still bouncing around the starting island.
auxilliary weapons, tokyo, and nightmare dungeons are things i'll never encounter, if everything works out..

Same, I kinda hit a brick wall at blue mountain where I just kept dying. The equipment system is something I can't wrap my head around, no matter how much I want to.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Same, I kinda hit a brick wall at blue mountain where I just kept dying. The equipment system is something I can't wrap my head around, no matter how much I want to.

I think everyone hits a wall at Blue Mountain the first time unless they know someone else who warned them into a proper build beforehand. It's the point where you can't just pick whatever powers sound fun and just soldier through. gently caress the Ak'ab.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Pesterchum posted:

I think everyone hits a wall at Blue Mountain the first time unless they know someone else who warned them into a proper build beforehand. It's the point where you can't just pick whatever powers sound fun and just soldier through. gently caress the Ak'ab.

Friendly reminder that, unless they changed them, Ak'ab will continue to chase you forever until they get a chance to use their charge special, then they'll reset.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

The equipment system is actually pretty simple. The equipment you can wear is divided into quality levels 0-10, and how high a quality level you can wear is determined by your skill in head, major, and minor talismans, and for weapons it's your skill in either line for that weapon (so don't invest in both healing and damage for fist weapons, for instance, while you're leveling.)

The brick wall in blue mountain comes from your build not being good more than gear. There's no problem with going back to the earlier areas and redoing quests for the experience to fix your build with.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 4, 2014

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Bauxite posted:

Friendly reminder that, unless they changed them, Ak'ab will continue to chase you forever until they get a chance to use their charge special, then they'll reset.

Working as intended

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pesterchum posted:

I definitely hit that wall. If only the Akabs weren't so densely packed. :argh:

After that, though, I didn't hit another similar wall until well into the third Transylvania zone.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

prefect posted:

When will they have a double-augment-drops weekend? I'm going bankrupt trying to scrape together parts every time I get a few hundred AP. :rant:

I recommend saving up Sequins of Sunrise. Whenever Issue 10 drops, buy a ton of whatever the Shield system's components are and auction them all. If level 1.6+ AEGIS toolkits come out, maybe buy those and do the same thing. If there's something new to farm, farm it and sell it for five times whatever you think an unreasonable price is. I'll get more specific whenever it happens. (You'll be able to buy everything back for a tenth the cost in a month. Or for half the cost in two days.)

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
I barely scraped over the wall in Blue Mountain by grinding out easier missions to get some more AP and get a better build. Unfortunately the wall grew about 100 feet going into the desert. I was forced to retreat back to Kingsmouth to rethink my build completely. In the end it was for the best as I didn't have many problems again... until Tokyo.

Dear lord, my AOE self heal build just can't keep up in Tokyo. I think the reason seems to be more 1v1 mobs than most areas (although they are densely packed). Maybe I'll switch up to a single target build again. Not to mention I've had to figure out the Aegis system on the fly. I've gone back to grinding SP so I can get some more damage out of the Aegis controllers.

Other than the basic Augments, I've totally skipped that system. Is that a problem? They don't seem like they are that good. Most only apply to 1 ability and I don't see any synergy I can gain from it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Why did none of you assholes tell me that the item of the month is a skeleton costume? I CAN BE A SPOOKY SCARY SKELETON THAT SENDS SHIVERS UP YOUR SPINE!

Edit: They apparently did some stealth optimizing because it isn't taking forever to zone into Tokyo anymore.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Len posted:

Why did none of you assholes tell me that the item of the month is a skeleton costume? I CAN BE A SPOOKY SCARY SKELETON THAT SENDS SHIVERS UP YOUR SPINE!

End-game Player retention.....

Len posted:

Working as intended

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
More importantly, now I can have a hook hand! Why didn't anyone let me know?!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Len posted:

Hey guys! They finally fixed the "working as intended, you're just doing it wrong" bridge spawn!

Also there is now a hook hand in the item shop.

:colbert:

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
You didn't say it was a subscriber item though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

You didn't say it was a subscriber item though!

If it's an item even remotely worth having it's either a subscriber item or a veteran item.

• Locked thread