Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Now, show me on this doll where the law touches you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I met up with a law school friend for dinner while driving through the Midland area this weekend. She makes a killing in oil field divorces.

If that 0L hadn't cancelled his score he too could live in the middle of no where and help abusive drunks divorce their pipewives.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I met up with a law school friend for dinner while driving through the Midland area this weekend. She makes a killing in oil field divorces.

If that 0L hadn't cancelled his score he too could live in the middle of no where and help abusive drunks divorce their pipewives.

It's funny because I have no idea where your Midland is, but that's exactly what our Midland (Ontario) is like except replace "oil" with "trafficking meth and painkillers".

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

It's funny because I have no idea where your Midland is, but that's exactly what our Midland (Ontario) is like except replace "oil" with "trafficking meth and painkillers".

'bout 5 fuckin' hours west of Dallas, out in the desert is this little turd of a down surrounded by oil rigs. The architecture is like a fossil layer of oil booms and busts over the past 100 years, where dilapidated neighborhoods abut 6 lane thoroughfares, and empty office buildings sit, rotting, next to brand new, multi-million dollar high-rises.

Its the worst, and the day my case in Midland County District Court settled was the best day of this past summer.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I slept okay, got a low score, and went to a crap school.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Also, Googling Midland, Texas and meth suggests that the two Midlands actually have a lot in common, at least methwise.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

blarzgh posted:

'bout 5 fuckin' hours west of Dallas, out in the desert is this little turd of a down surrounded by oil rigs. The architecture is like a fossil layer of oil booms and busts over the past 100 years, where dilapidated neighborhoods abut 6 lane thoroughfares, and empty office buildings sit, rotting, next to brand new, multi-million dollar high-rises.

Its the worst, and the day my case in Midland County District Court settled was the best day of this past summer.

Someone bitching about Midland doesn't spend a lot of time in Odessa.

For the uninitiated, Odessa is a sister city to Midland. Midland is where all of the managers/owners of the various oil wells live while Odessa is where all the workers live.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

For the uninitiated, Odessa is a sister city to Midland. Midland is where all of the managers/owners of the various oil wells live while Odessa is where all the workers live.

Client had three wells out in Pecos, and was like, "you should come out and check em out." And I was like "gently caress you no."

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

I stopped in the midland walmart on a Friday night to get some cough syrup. The line of oil workers cashing their checks at the walmart was insane. Better than the liquor store though. Most of my clients use them to cash checks.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I stopped in the midland walmart on a Friday night to get some cough syrup. The line of oil workers cashing their checks at the walmart was insane. Better than the liquor store though. Most of my clients use them to cash checks.

The new one just off the highway, catty-corner from Starbucks?

I had to run in there once and buy a belt before a TI hearing because I packed a loving brown belt with black shoes!

I won, so it must have worked. (Of course it didn't hurt when the respondent said, "absolutely I intend to follow through on my threats!")

slashtom
Jan 5, 2012
VeteranX
Anyone here prepping to sit on the December LSAT?

Having gone through Blueprint, it was good, but boy did I waste my money.

highly highly highly recommend LSAT Trainer. Not sure on the rules about linking amazon but go ahead and google it.

Anyways drill baby drill. I'm slashtom on TLS as well.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
Support fellow goons:

http://www.enclothe.com/shop/pc/Taco-Death-30p1534.htm

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

What the gently caress is this poo poo.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

slashtom posted:

Anyways drill baby drill.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

slashtom posted:

Anyone here prepping to sit on the December LSAT?

Having gone through Blueprint, it was good, but boy did I waste my money.

highly highly highly recommend LSAT Trainer. Not sure on the rules about linking amazon but go ahead and google it.

Anyways drill baby drill. I'm slashtom on TLS as well.

I'm taking it in December but I wouldn't really call playing WoW 'prepping'

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

Mr. Nice! posted:

Friday Night Lights!

RFX
Nov 23, 2007
Constant panic attacks as a junior transactional attorney working for a random real estate partner our firm brought in who is making me do weird HOA caselaw searches; don't go to law school.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

RFX posted:

Constant panic attacks as a junior transactional attorney working for a random real estate partner our firm brought in who is making me do weird HOA caselaw searches; don't go to law school.

I didn't think panic attacks were possible in a transactional practice...

Legal Research Pro-tip: GOOGLE FIRST, LEXIS NEXT.

RFX
Nov 23, 2007

blarzgh posted:

Yeah I've learned that; but it's apparently not good enough for this guy. Also forgot to mention the fact that a third of the time I get on the phone with him, I get to hear about why California is going down the drain and why I should Vote Republican.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

blarzgh posted:

I just finished listening to a malpractice insurer's seminar about keyboard mis-strikes by transactional attorneys leading to multimillion dollar lawsuits against said transactional attorneys. One of the hand-outs literally said something like (paraphrased) each time a transactional attorney sits down at his computer, he knows that even an inadvertent error can potentially lead to a catastrophic claim against him and his firm.

It's a sweet life.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

SlyFrog posted:

I just finished listening to a malpractice insurer's seminar about keyboard mis-strikes by transactional attorneys leading to multimillion dollar lawsuits against said transactional attorneys. One of the hand-outs literally said something like (paraphrased) each time a transactional attorney sits down at his computer, he knows that even an inadvertent error can potentially lead to a catastrophic claim against him and his firm.

It's a sweet life.

Let me tell you about the time during a deposition that my (defendant)client's wife, who we prepped for 3 hours, and who had unbeknownst to us filed for divorce the day prior, began by volunteering to explain to Plaintiff's counsel how her husband's company was embezzling money...

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
I dropped out of law school after 1L and it was the best decision I ever made. I got my first internship after fall semester, and I wanted to quit law and never look back almost immediately after I started there.

Ogmius- have you ever worked for a lawyer or at a law firm, in any capacity? This might be a golden opportunity to get a job in the law that isn't practicing, to see if you actually like it.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
Cutting out the middleman.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/meghancasserly/2013/09/12/shake-on-it-new-app-puts-legally-binding-documents-at-your-fingertips/

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Opposing counsel in my case makes we want to not practice law. Just a broken human being. No one should have to deal with this sort of person. And I have to defend like five more depositions against this fucker. gently caress. Also, why is lead trial counsel taking every loving deposition. gently caress.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

gvibes posted:

Also, why is lead trial counsel taking every loving deposition. gently caress.

Does the client have a lot of money?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Scraps you ready to file an Ebola class action against Dallas school districts?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Scraps you ready to file an Ebola class action against Dallas school districts?

Our power is out. We still found ways to work.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

RFX posted:

Yeah I've learned that; but it's apparently not good enough for this guy. Also forgot to mention the fact that a third of the time I get on the phone with him, I get to hear about why California is going down the drain and why I should Vote Republican.

My personal fave: When I had to deal with a private defense attorney whose emails all had signatures for their (Tea Party) campaign for political office.

And I got a lot of emails from this person. Many apparently sent at 3AM. Which, I'm not saying is terrible in itself, but jeez doesn't everyone know to hit save draft and send in the morning?

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 3, 2014

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Does the client have a lot of money?

Not anymore

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013

gvibes posted:

Opposing counsel in my case makes we want to not practice law. Just a broken human being. No one should have to deal with this sort of person. And I have to defend like five more depositions against this fucker. gently caress. Also, why is lead trial counsel taking every loving deposition. gently caress.

Yeah. After a deposition yesterday, opposing counsel tried to get me to answer some questions on the record and then threatened to subpoena me when I declined his invitation. Actual quote: "Let the record reflect that [TheAwfulWaffle] is laughing, loudly and in a disruptive manner."

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

Yeah. After a deposition yesterday, opposing counsel tried to get me to answer some questions on the record and then threatened to subpoena me when I declined his invitation. Actual quote: "Let the record reflect that [TheAwfulWaffle] is laughing, loudly and in a disruptive manner."

Litigation: Not Even Once

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

Hah I'd love to see the motion to quash that subpoena

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

I heard that (in a murder trial) one defence lawyer shook the hand of a police officer (prosecution witness) after he testified and was leaving the court room. The prosecutor flipped out on him after and said she would object on the record if he shook anyone elses hand.

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 4, 2014

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Zarkov Cortez posted:

I heard that (in a murder trial) one defence lawyer shook the hand of a police officer (prosecution witness) after he testified and was leaving the court room. The prosecutor flipped out on him after and said she would object on the record if he shook anyone elses hand.

I would have shook all the witnesses' hands just to let the jury watch the prosecutor flip out. What would the objection even be?

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

GamingHyena posted:

I would have shook all the witnesses' hands just to let the jury watch the prosecutor flip out. What would the objection even be?

"Objection, opposing counsel is being polite to the witness."

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Nothing like a few "hey my boyfriend stole our baby" voicemails to get the Monday morning apathy flowing.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
Solid 30% chance he's the dad anyway

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Nothing like a few "hey my boyfriend stole our baby" voicemails to get the Monday morning apathy flowing.

I have a baby. Why would anyone steal a baby?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

I have a baby. Why would anyone steal a baby?

She's abusing him!

I got the kid back by the end of the day. Sometimes rural justice is swift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Do you suppose a "ROLNPC" license plate would increase or decrease my chances of getting popped for speeding?