Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
It's glorious! Thanks for the hard work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Loving almost everything about the new update; great work! The only problem I have is the size of the thread title on the thread list, means I can only see like 4-5 thread names at once on the Bookmarks screen on my 5S. Having a way to configure the size of the titles, or have them just cut off after the second line (with an ellipsis), would be awesome :)

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Bookmark titles definitely seem bigger.
Things look better, but I think the tab bar is a little silly, since the last three of messages, leper and settings probably aren't going to be commonly used by most people.
I mean it does look super nice.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
This update is making me cry. I love it but will inevitably find something to yell at you about in a few hours.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just got the update. Looks and works fantastic on the 6 Plus. TYVM everyone!

mikul
Feb 8, 2004
Running 3.0 on the iPad Air, with iOS 8.02, and I can't get the sidebar to disappear, no matter what I do. Also, when scrolling through threads, they move side to side slightly if my finger moves slightly.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Looking at them side by side, 3.0 has a slightly larger size (possibly just from the font) and doesn't truncate titles.
Also there's slightly more space between the title and "killed by" line.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

My 6+ is happy. Hiding the sidebar in landscape in settings doesn't seem to work though.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I'm also seeing the bottom tab bar become invisible like this.

Also 4:20 everyday

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

zachol posted:

Bookmark titles definitely seem bigger.
Things look better, but I think the tab bar is a little silly, since the last three of messages, leper and settings probably aren't going to be commonly used by most people.
I mean it does look super nice.

I use all of those in the daily. Okay, maybe not settings, but the lepers colony is a great source of entertainment.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Is this update only for iOS 8?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

This app doesn't make my posts any better 3/5 stars

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

FreshFeesh posted:

Is this update only for iOS 8?

Yes. No poors allowed.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Thanks pokeyman. This is a nice update. I appreciate the older UI being back.

Also, I found the dark mode recently and it's really helpful for floater related reading problems. Thx.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

withak posted:

Yes. No poors allowed.

Hey man, as soon as a jailbreak is released I'm all for upgrading.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Kaizoku posted:

I use all of those in the daily. Okay, maybe not settings, but the lepers colony is a great source of entertainment.

I wouldn't mind the tabs if they weren't also paired with getting rid of title truncation and the other minor interface tweaks to the font and spacing that end up using more vertical space. Like I said, it looks great, and I do like the font style more.
If the messages tab gets a little badge/icon when you have a new message, that'll be pretty neat.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Beautiful update, as always. Thanks pocket man.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

zachol posted:

I wouldn't mind the tabs if they weren't also paired with getting rid of title truncation and the other minor interface tweaks to the font and spacing that end up using more vertical space. Like I said, it looks great, and I do like the font style more.
If the messages tab gets a little badge/icon when you have a new message, that'll be pretty neat.

I think the tab and basement item for PMs has always gotten a badge when it finds new PMs.

I'm not sure I'm sold on three lines titles.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Actually I'm an idiot, they don't take up any more space in the thread view, the divider lines have the same spacing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

FreshFeesh posted:

iOS 8 doesn't come out for 7 more years back there in 2007.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

I've been able to replicate this. It happens when you rotate to landscape and back to portrait.

Going to the bookmark page and back will fix it, but going to the next page in a thread will not. [Edited because I typed the opposite of reality like an idiot]

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

mikul posted:

Running 3.0 on the iPad Air, with iOS 8.02, and I can't get the sidebar to disappear, no matter what I do. Also, when scrolling through threads, they move side to side slightly if my finger moves slightly.

The always-present sidebar is a new one to me, though Awful does mess around a bit with the sidebar to get it to show up/disappear at times. Are you still having that issue?

I'm not sure what you mean by the threads moving side to side. You can swipe-to-delete in bookmarks, maybe that's what's happening?

My 6+ is happy. Hiding the sidebar in landscape in settings doesn't seem to work though.

I'll take a look. I'm not surprised; detecting the iPhone 6+ is a pain.

That's a goofy one. I see the top bar is a bit stuck, I wonder if that's related. I'll try to poke at it.

theadder posted:

Also, I found the dark mode recently and it's really helpful for floater related reading problems. Thx.

Let me know if there's any tweaks that might help. I only just learned about floaters the other day, someone wrote a good post about it, and I remember something about off-black being better than straight black and stuff like that.

zachol posted:

We can fiddle with the vertical spacing, I'm not 100% satisfied with it. And the Messages tab should get badged with an unread count, it's a bug if it doesn't.

edit:

lelandjs posted:

I've been able to replicate this. It happens when you rotate to landscape and back to portrait.

Good to know, thanks!

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

pokeyman posted:

We can fiddle with the vertical spacing, I'm not 100% satisfied with it. And the Messages tab should get badged with an unread count, it's a bug if it doesn't.

I feel like a way to make the font size smaller would fix a lot of things. With two devices, looking side by side, the larger font size on 3.0 makes it feel more claustrophobic and squeezed even when the actual lengths are exactly the same. There are also occasionally threads that run over into a third line because of the larger size, and I think part of it also is the contrast between the thread names being large and the text on the tabs/UI being much smaller and lighter.
On the other hand I'm sure on a larger device the new size would look fine. Maybe having the "scale text" option also affect the forums view would work? For me, both the forums view and the post view need to get bumped down a notch from default, and I assume people feeling the same way probably have the same size of device, with both aspects a problem.

Regardless I do really like the app, these are super minor fiddly complaints. Also the messages badge thing is extra great, no more having to tap the slider to check messages.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

pokeyman posted:

The always-present sidebar is a new one to me, though Awful does mess around a bit with the sidebar to get it to show up/disappear at times. Are you still having that issue?

I'm not sure what you mean by the threads moving side to side. You can swipe-to-delete in bookmarks, maybe that's what's happening?

I'll take a look. I'm not surprised; detecting the iPhone 6+ is a pain.

That's a goofy one. I see the top bar is a bit stuck, I wonder if that's related. I'll try to poke at it.

Let me know if there's any tweaks that might help. I only just learned about floaters the other day, someone wrote a good post about it, and I remember something about off-black being better than straight black and stuff like that.

edit:

Good to know, thanks!

I got the threads sliding around issue.

Landscape ipad, scrolling through a thread will push the text boxes away to the left or right

Here's a bad picture showing what it looks like.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

mikul posted:

IPad mini, 8.02, exact same problem. Can't get the sidebar to go away.

Edit: Deleting and reinstalling did the trick. Seems to be fine now.

Mmmm...nope. Definitely some jank going on with the sidebar in landscape. It won't go away regardless of setting. Is the behaviour supposed to be like it was before with the sweeping motion? I liked that :(

If I choose "hide in landscape" while not in landscape, that at least makes the sidebar go away. But yeah. Sidebar is borked.

Working fine on my 5S. Except the sizing on the post edit/quote/report pop up window seems too small and is cutting off never mind. Seems working as intended as I can scroll with my finger, I suppose.

Still would love a fullscreen mode or safari style scrolling fullscreen, but I get that there are bugs to be fixed with the new version. :shobon:

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Oct 5, 2014

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I got the threads sliding around issue.

Landscape ipad, scrolling through a thread will push the text boxes away to the left or right

Here's a bad picture showing what it looks like.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Snuffman posted:

Edit: Deleting and reinstalling did the trick. Seems to be fine now.

Mmmm...nope. Definitely some jank going on with the sidebar in landscape. It won't go away regardless of setting. Is the behaviour supposed to be like it was before with the sweeping motion? I liked that :(

If I choose "hide in landscape" while not in landscape, that at least makes the sidebar go away. But yeah. Sidebar is borked.

I'll take a look at this too.

quote:

Still would love a fullscreen mode or safari style scrolling fullscreen, but I get that there are bugs to be fixed with the new version. :shobon:

I know. It's on the list!

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
The imageview closes when I try to scroll zoomed images up. Also when there's a popup with icons, there's no indication of scrollability when there's more than 4 icons. Also, the thread and post views don't take into account the existence of the bottom tab bar, so the loading icon is obscured. :mrgw:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Fantastic job with the update. Awful is the only 3rd party app I regularly use that looks right on my iPhone 6.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Really, really like the new bar at the bottom - I only browse on my phone, so it makes navigating between forums and bookmarks a lot easier. Count me in on those who would like to see font settings affect the thread list as well as thread view, though; I have a lot less threads to browse at once with the size being what it is.

I can't believe how far this app has come since I first started using it - love it!

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Hey pokeyman, the app seems to only use the new icon for the homescreen and that's pretty much it. In Settings, it's the old icon, and if I use an app that needs to launch of utilize the app in anyway, it still shows the old pre-iOS 7 icon.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Can the new post button be a bit more static? It moves a couple of pixels to the left on my 5s when I enter a thread.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

noirstronaut posted:

Hey pokeyman, the app seems to only use the new icon for the homescreen and that's pretty much it. In Settings, it's the old icon, and if I use an app that needs to launch of utilize the app in anyway, it still shows the old pre-iOS 7 icon.

Actually on that note it looks like the ratings bars are off center on the icon on my 6 Plus. Tiny nitpick. I know, but once I realized it I can't unsee it.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

I lose the bottom bar when I go to landscape and then back to portrait mode. I'm using a 6+ with latest iOS. It turns solid black with no buttons.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

FreshFeesh posted:

lol @ people who still jailbreak.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Athletic Footjob posted:

Can the new post button be a bit more static? It moves a couple of pixels to the left on my 5s when I enter a thread.
I don't think that's exactly what's happening. On my 6, when you click on a new thread, it shifts right during the thread entry transition, then shifts back left when the thread is loading.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
AUGH my muscle memory

EDit: id like to say I really appreciate the work you put into this thing and I use it all the fuckin time and it really does look swell

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 5, 2014

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't think that's exactly what's happening. On my 6, when you click on a new thread, it shifts right during the thread entry transition, then shifts back left when the thread is loading.

Actually, it does both. It depends whether you're entering from your bookmarks or a forum.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I'm getting some weird loading errors with the latest version. Pulling up to go to the next page is occasionally timing out and if it times out and I try again, it's kicking me back to the first page of the thread.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Snuffman posted:

I know you're looking into it already but same here. iPad Air ios8.02

Edit: I also see the threads sliding around. Basically when I swipe to try to remove the sidebar it jiggles the thread instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

people with different platinum icons get both the grenade and their different icon overlapping.

• Locked thread