Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Your CPR class should tell you to not do mouth to mouth on anyone anymore. That's what mine did anyway (Vancouver). You use a hand-operated thingy now. (I know my medical terms)

I've had to do classes since 2005 and they change the rules every time. Like loving make up your mind on how I'm supposed to have a 5% chance of saving someone's life!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Are you loving sjws even self aware? Your hearts bleed as long as you don't have any loving skin in the game. Those gross dtes people deserve justice but not actually from you!

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Reverse Centaur posted:

Your CPR class should tell you to not do mouth to mouth on anyone anymore. That's what mine did anyway (Vancouver). You use a hand-operated thingy now. (I know my medical terms)

I've had to do classes since 2005 and they change the rules every time. Like loving make up your mind on how I'm supposed to have a 5% chance of saving someone's life!!

I was taught that you were supposed to do 2 mouth to mouth breaths to every 30 chest compressions, but the mouth to mouth breaths weren't really that important. If you think they have super AIDS or something, don't bother.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Just don't bother with anyone in distress or state of injury. Just walk away. It's safer and less stressful for your sensitive dispositions. Don't even look them in the eye because then they can see in to your souls.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

Cultural Imperial posted:

And men in the Davie village all have AIDS and hep c, and all the hipsters on main st have chlamydia and hep c and everyone in surrey has AIDS. I guess the only people worth saving are people who live in sjaugjnessy and kits

Or alternatively as I said before get on of these http://www.redcrossstore.org/item/ARC-M-CPR and a pair of disposable nitrile gloves and you're good.

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION
I really do enjoy that all I have to do is say that I like living in Vancouver for Cultural Imperial to freak the gently caress out.

What if I'm a first generation immigrant from China? What then?!

I'm going to hang out in the DTES and not preform CPR on people alllll day.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

hooooly shiiiiiit

Where did you find this gem?

http://www.afr.com/p/personal_finance/smart_money/young_buck_aims_for_properties_by_zai4xs4rBHFpTxcl7sJQ3O

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Dr. Witherbone posted:

I really do enjoy that all I have to do is say that I like living in Vancouver for Cultural Imperial to freak the gently caress out.

What if I'm a first generation immigrant from China? What then?!

I'm going to hang out in the DTES and not preform CPR on people alllll day.

I don't know why people bother engaging with somebody who is either clearly mentally ill or just a really unfunny/weird gimmick, but then I like living in Vancouver so what do I know? :downs:

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
I saw these ads scattered around downtown Hamilton. Does this claim seem dubious to anyone else?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ashley Madison posted:

I saw these ads scattered around downtown Hamilton. Does this claim seem dubious to anyone else?

This website is a goldmine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pNEY4GFy-I

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

And men in the Davie village all have AIDS and hep c, and all the hipsters on main st have chlamydia and hep c and everyone in surrey has AIDS. I guess the only people worth saving are people who live in sjaugjnessy and kits

As long as you understand the program, yeah. I suppose.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Ashley Madison posted:

2240 realtors out of work? Yes please!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I think I saw the same ones in Ottawa but it was 3500 jobs.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I thought Ontario already had that transfer tax, or is that just Toronto?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&threadid=3533827

quote:

Second in a series.

In Thursday’s column, I wrote about median incomes in Metro Vancouver for those with a post-secondary degree, and how research by urban planner Andy Yan showed those incomes lagged behind all other major metropolitan areas in Canada.

Yan, with Bing Thom Architects, found, for example, that median incomes for those aged 25 to 55 with a BA were $20,000 less in Metro Vancouver than in Ottawa and Calgary.

But Yan took his research beyond income. He paired it with what has become Metro Vancouverites’ favourite topic, and part of the inescapable conundrum of living here:

The high cost of housing.

Yan began by graphing the median housing value of 20 selected Canadian and U.S. metropolitan areas on the x axis (that’s the horizontal one) and the median household incomes of those metropolitan areas on the y axis (that’s the vertical one).

He made two graphs — one for 1990 and another for 2011. Statistics for both came from Statistics Canada and the U.S. Census Bureau for those years.

In the 1990 graph, Vancouver was positioned in the middle of the pack. Our median housing value — about $300,000-plus — was greater than Calgary’s and that of the other Canadian cities plotted, but it was less than Toronto’s — which was then about $400,000. Those U.S. cities where the median housing value in that year was greater than Vancouver’s were Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, New York and, most expensive of all, Honolulu. Seattle was less. Portland was much less.

quote:

Meanwhile, Metro Vancouver’s rank for median household income for 1990, while not the highest in Canada, was respectable. (These figures were plotted in 2011 dollars.) Ottawa, as always, gorging at the public trough, was higher, but we were on par with Calgary and Toronto. And we were higher than Edmonton, Regina and Halifax, and higher than all the U.S. cities other than Washington, D.C.

Fast forward to 2011.

Vancouver’s position on the graph changes drastically.

Our median household income actually falls from 1990. Calgary becomes the Canadian city with the highest median income, followed closely by Edmonton and Ottawa. Regina moves ahead of us, while Toronto increases slightly from its 1990 level, putting more distance between it and Vancouver. The only other Canadian city on the graph that Vancouver is comparable to is Halifax, which lags just slightly behind us.

The real change on the graph — and this will come as a surprise to no one — is in median housing value.

Vancouver becomes an anomaly, far outdistancing every Canadian and U.S. city except San Francisco. However, San Francisco’s median income, which was below Metro Vancouver’s in 1990, increases to where in 2011 it was almost $10,000 greater than Vancouver’s. Both cities experience growth in house value — and in Vancouver’s case, it was exponential — but that growth in San Francisco is softened somewhat by rising incomes. Vancouverites have had no such cushion.

quote:

In this election year, the high cost of housing here has dominated the political discussion to the point of exclusivity. We can’t talk of anything else.

Yan’s research shows that, yes, our house prices have grown astronomically. And yes, those high prices have an effect on the economic fabric of the city. Not only do they make owning a house difficult for average wage earners, they can dissuade corporations from establishing offices here. On the other hand, they have made a whole lot of sellers rich.

But those high house prices, and our utter preoccupation with them, have become a distraction to a greater problem, and they are only a part of Vancouver’s economic malady. At any rate, those high housing prices are largely beyond the jurisdictional abilities of Metro Vancouver’s municipal governments to have any real effect on them. Meaningful change — in immigration numbers, for example — would reside with the federal and provincial governments, but not at the municipal level.

No, the persistent, year-over-year problem has been in income decline, and this has been a long time coming.

“This is not a new story,” said Tsur Somerville, director of the University of B.C. school of urban economics and real estate. “We have lagged behind the other major metropolitan cities since the 1980s, and even before the period of rising home prices.”

According to figures from Statistics Canada, in 2011 dollars, the median income in Vancouver peaked in 1980 at $69,800.

Then came the long slow decline:

In 1982, it fell below $60,000.

In 1993, it hit $50,000.

In 1996, it fell as low as $48,500.

By 2011, it had rebounded to $57,200, which was a couple of hundred bucks better than the Canadian median but slightly lower than cities like Winnipeg and Halifax. Every other major city in Canada except Montreal had a higher median income than us.

Do high housing prices have an effect on the economic health of Metro Vancouver?

Without a doubt. But those high prices are only one part of the picture, and as research shows, they aren’t moving in tandem with our incomes.

Something’s wrong, and we should be talking about that in an election year. Largely, we aren’t.

The final instalment Tuesday.

pmcmartin@vancouversun.com

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

yup BC is housing cost hyper-inflation without a corresponding increasing in household income.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

ocrumsprug posted:

Ontario has a land transfer tax and Toronto started their own in 2008. It's been making good revenue for the city, so of course the Fords hate it. It doesn't seem like it's stopped people from buying houses like crazy.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

HookShot posted:

The thing about these kids buying up tons of property is that in Australia (I don't know if it works the same way in Canada) you basically just use one property's lien as the security for your next property, and so on, and so forth.

Which means your average idiot investor can own a lot more houses than he would otherwise be able to afford.

However, it also means that if he loses literally one house because he can't make the payments anymore, the bank takes ALL THE REST OF THEM because they're all being used as security against one another.

This is a pretty classic speculative strategem. It works as long as the price of a given asset is going up (and at a consistent rate), but as soon as growth stops, or even slows a little bit, then the house of cards collapses. Hyman Minsky would call this guy a Ponzi Finance Unit: he can't pay his principal or his interest on his properties unless the price of the asset is rising very quickly. A healthy financial market has a small minority of Ponzi Units, mixed with more conservative Hedge Units (can pay both principal and interest at current prices), and Speculator Units (can pay interest but not principal at current or slowly rising prices). When the Ponzi Units take a large enough share of the market, you start getting runaway prices, and the seeds of the eventual crash are sown. All it takes for a Ponzi Unit to go bust is for interest rates to increase (they've absolutely leveraged themselves with adjustable rates), or price growth to slow even slightly. Once they bust, they sell, and a general price deflation sets in. With so much cash tied up in margin trades and call markets, you get a credit crunch as notes go unpaid.

It's going to happen in Canada and Australia. Maybe not today, but it is goddamn inevitable.

Grand Theft Autobot fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 5, 2014

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

ocrumsprug posted:

Toronto has one in addition to the provincial one. The latest campaigns are against the notion that other municipalities get the ability to do the same. It was originally instituted on the basis that "Toronto is a special snowflake due to higher infrastructure needs so we need a special snowflake tax". It basically increases the cost of selling a house by x% (forget the amount) which hypothetically reduces churn and thus why realtors don't want it. Trying to position that it will impact housing jobs (which is why the ads have different job numbers in different municipalities) is disingenuous at best because housing jobs are dependent only on new home sales, which is dependent mostly on population growth, not overall housing market activity. I don't like the tax from a personal financial perspective but the way OREA is trying to use it is slimy as hell.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
An industry association massaging facts in an advertising campaign? :eyepop: impossible!

By the way did you all know we pay less for cell phones than people in the states? The association of wireless providers said so!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

"I'm an average Canadian and I don't think it's fair to bring in more competition for wireless providers from the U.S."

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Is there a G20 nation more competition averse than this one?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Lexicon posted:

Is there a G20 nation more competition averse than this one?

Saudi Arabia...maybe? Even with the massive corruption I'm pretty sure Russia has less monopolies per industry than us.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
And my favorite is that small business owner complaining that workers are holding people like him hostage because of high salaries and a favourable job market.

:qq:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Do you think if we hold businessowners hostage long enough they'll get stockholm syndrom and sympathize with their captor?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Rime posted:

Saudi Arabia...maybe? Even with the massive corruption I'm pretty sure Russia has less monopolies per industry than us.

At least Russian citizens no doubt grumble about it and wish for more entrants. Canadians seem to treat oligopoly as something to celebrate. You know the saying - a Canadian is a person who'd rather be ripped off by a compatriot than offered a good deal by a foreigner.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Lexicon posted:

At least Russian citizens no doubt grumble about it and wish for more entrants. Canadians seem to treat oligopoly as something to celebrate. You know the saying - a Canadian is a person who'd rather be ripped off by a compatriot than offered a good deal by a foreigner.

To be fair I think a lot of Russians now think what their effectively 100% state-controlled and heavily-distorted media tells them to think about pretty much everything. I'm sure by now they're growing to love their oligopoloy --- something something Russian patriots something something protecting against evil Western imperialism.

While Harper may have some very faint hallmarks of a charismatic authoritarian dictator, Putin far outclasses him in that regard.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Toronto has one in addition to the provincial one. The latest campaigns are against the notion that other municipalities get the ability to do the same. It was originally instituted on the basis that "Toronto is a special snowflake due to higher infrastructure needs so we need a special snowflake tax". It basically increases the cost of selling a house by x% (forget the amount) which hypothetically reduces churn and thus why realtors don't want it.

I agree Toronto put it in based on higher infrastructure requirements and costs, but the real reason they instituted the land transfer tax was to avoid raising property taxes proper. It was a calculated political move at the time.

I'd also argue that people don't see it as "increasing the cost of selling a house", because the buyer pays it. Even from the buyers perspective the transfer tax has little impact (unless you're a sane person) because first time buyers with no equity receive substantial/total rebate on the tax, and people who are moving up don't treat their prior sale equity as "real money" because they are idiots and are happy to pay whatever it costs to make the move they want. Sale equity realized isn't a real thing to them.

I was looking at moving a few streets south in about 2009 and calculated my total cost to move including transfer and agent fees(this is Toronto), at $60,000. gently caress that.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/tiny-living-room-sized-home-attracts-ottawa-couple-1.2788229

quote:

People searching for an alternative lifestyle are downsizing to the extreme and building from the ground up with a tiny home philosophy.

Robert and Leanne Leonardo of Ottawa are a prime example. They're selling their 900-square-foot condo unit in favour of building their own 207-square-foot home.

To put that in perspective, the new home is smaller than their current living room. It will cost about $50,000 to build the home, not including the cost of purchasing land.

Leonardos building new tiny home in Ottawa
Robert Leonardo, right, and his wife Leanne are selling this 900-square-foot condo in favour of building a new 207-square-foot home. (Ashley Burke/CBC)

The couple hopes to live on their friend’s property in nearby Rockland for free and they are quite excited for this radical life change as they prioritize paying off their debt.

"I projected that in four to five years I would be mortgage free and debt free," Robert said.

"My projection shows I'll be able to recover 40 per cent of my disposable income. So I mean that offers a lot of choices in life."

For those curious how two people could live in such a small space, the Leonardos explained.

Their tiny home would feature just one room with a bed in a loft above the living/dining room. There would also be a small bathroom and kitchen.

"I'm looking for the simplicity of living in a smaller home," Robert said.

'Magical, holy grail idea'

These tiny homes can exist in communities, as well as micro-condo buildings. Sales reps say they have blossomed in Toronto and some believe they will interest Ottawa-area residents.

"People are hungry for solutions to help them get out of debt, to pay less money on a mortgage, to reduce their environmental footprint, to stop this perpetual cycle of accumulating stuff," said Andy Thomson, a designer who is building a community of tiny houses in Mansfield, Que., about 115 kilometres northwest of Ottawa.

"The tiny home is this kind of magical, holy grail idea."

Tiny home community in Mansfield, Quebec
Andy Thomson is building a tiny home community in Mansfield, Que. This is the common building that houses the bathrooms and kitchen. (Ashley Burke/CBC)

Thomson is turning 50 acres of land into two-acre plots, featuring some tiny homes with a waterfront view. There will also be a communal building with bathrooms and a kitchen.

In Ottawa's Centretown neighbourhood, Urban Capital is developing a micro-condo building filled with tiny homes.

"If you're standing at the sink you could basically do your laundry, cook a little turkey and at the same time, reach out for a beer," said Max Damour, a sales representative from Sutton Group Realty.

The condos aren't quite as small as the Leonardos' new home, ranging between 300 and 500 square feet. The lowest starting price sits at $180,000.

Damour believes these cheaper units will sell in a slowing condo market.

"Property taxes are going to be cheaper, so even for first-time homebuyers, I think they're going to love that type of product," he said.

I first became acquainted with the 'tiny home' 'movement' talking to my lyft driver last week. I fail to see how this idea is any different from a trailer park. I guess it lacks the white trash aesthetic.

'micro condos' on the other hand, are retarded.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Ah yes the joys of home ownership, the pride of it all *lives in a tiny trailer smaller than the apartment I used to rent*

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

triplexpac posted:

Ah yes the joys of home ownership, the pride of it all *lives in a tiny trailer smaller than the apartment I used to rent*

Ah yes I wish to end the cycle of constantly accumulating things *spends $50,000 on something*

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Some of us just want to be on HGTV, okay?

*purposely buys lovely house, hires lovely contractor for terrible renos, applies to Holmes Makes it Right*

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
I checked what 207 ft² is in meters² and laughed out loud.
Do they hang up two hammocks across the room to sleep? Does it have an outhouse and a tiny wet cell to technically shower?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
FYGM, I've been rooking all of these HGTV Effect suckers for money for eight years and will continue to do so until it comes crashing down around my head. Then I'll switch to lawyer mode and make money off the fall out from bad renovations.

:getin:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
For a thread that rigorously mocks people who follow the norm, you people sure do love to poo poo on anyone who dares to buck society too radically.

Also, Hammocks are loving awesome to sleep in and I haven't missed my bed once in the year I've been sleeping in one. :colbert:

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
You're going to be a hunchback by 40.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Rime posted:

For a thread that rigorously mocks people who follow the norm, you people sure do love to poo poo on anyone who dares to buck society too radically.

Also, Hammocks are loving awesome to sleep in and I haven't missed my bed once in the year I've been sleeping in one. :colbert:

hahahha

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Rime posted:

I wouldn't pay out the rear end to live in a glorified trailer park any more than I'd buy a house in the suburbs but I'm pretty much planning to live in a much smaller space because it's easier and cheaper to heat, cool and build (plus I like cozy spaces) so I don't think tiny houses are such a crazy idea.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Also I live in Toronto and I haven't heard anything about these micro house things. Have they really "blossomed" here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I don't think anyone in this thread is going to beat the time in the Australia thread when alternative living came up and one guy admitted he shits in a hole in the ground to be more environmental.