Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Chorocojo posted:

sex scene between the Cabal Patriarch and Phage

What

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Wasn't there a pair of a fat and a skinny watchman that were 95% Jar Jar Binks humor and then they kill Phage or something?

Yeah, those books sure are a thing.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Kasonic posted:

Wasn't there a pair of a fat and a skinny watchman that were 95% Jar Jar Binks humor and then they kill Phage or something?

Yeah, those books sure are a thing.

Yeah they're 2 dimensional dudes and then they become cockroach dudes and they stab Karona at the end with the Mirari-Sword because Kamahl can't bring himself to do it.

Yeah, that loving happens.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
http://www.twitch.tv/atomicempire

Come watch this guy be so nervous he is barely breathing. He also appears to be playing this jeskai combo deck for the first time and is being slow as hell.

It does raise the question of "Do I scoop when my opponents combo goes off, or do I make him spend 10 minutes making him manually do it?" I personally scoop because I play to win and I hate draws. I somewhat get the appeal of being a dick and making them go through the motions because people dislike losing but I just can't make myself do it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Chorocojo posted:

:smuggo:

:stonk:

But yeah hey isn't it nice to know that wizard's hasn't learned that books ain't their thang?

The Theros eBook series is horrid, and recent!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sickening posted:

Come watch this guy be so nervous he is barely breathing. He also appears to be playing this jeskai combo deck for the first time and is being slow as hell.

It does raise the question of "Do I scoop when my opponents combo goes off, or do I make him spend 10 minutes making him manually do it?" I personally scoop because I play to win and I hate draws. I somewhat get the appeal of being a dick and making them go through the motions because people dislike losing but I just can't make myself do it.

I almost made a guy go through the Jeskai combo yesterday, but I let him shortcut to "Burning Anger for a lot."

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Hey, in Nemesis there was a sex scene between a four-armed Ertai and a Phyrexian, so, you know, poo poo happens I guess.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Sickening posted:

I make someone go through the motions 3-4 times to make sure they (and I) understand how it works before I'll let them shortcut it. I live for the day I catch someone screwing something up while attempting to go infinite because I'm a jerk.

Chorocojo posted:

Let's not forget this results in her getting pregnant with the baby form of a reincarnated God-Wizard guy.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Hey, in Nemesis there was a sex scene between a four-armed Ertai and a Phyrexian, so, you know, poo poo happens I guess.

His four-arms are revealed in the epilogue of the book. He's human up until then. :colbert:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Chorocojo posted:

I'm almost curious as to the logistics.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
I put up all my games from last night on youtube in a playlist so you can laugh at my terrible mistakes.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSWF8Pvkz4-104gmMp0492c8ip9pvwhQL

Haven't decided if Im gonna do another one tonight or just wait for release queues for better EV.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Zorak posted:

Went completely undefeated 4-0 in the Khans competitive prerelease sealed on MTGO. Only rare I ran was a Flooded Strand for Delve value:

Gameplan was just TRADE TRADE TRADE early on, then just delve that poo poo out to the many evasive fatties. Had a fun game where my opponent managed to get 4 Snowhorn Riders out early on a stalled board, where he ultimately lost to milling themselves. And then the next game I got to hardcast Dead Drop on them from the sideboard. Treasure Cruise is the most satisfying card to cast. Abomination of Gudul is a goddamn absurd common.

Format is super fun, 10/10 would hang with debauched snakemen again

Late to respond to this but sultai is so loving goooooooood i will play this set forever. I find Dead Drop obscenely maindeckable even vs weenie type clans. Playing a Hooting Mandrills/Sultai Scavenger for 1-2 mana on turn 4 or so is loving criminal and leads to the most ridiculous board states. TRADE TRADE TRADE Cast Rakshasa's Secret TRADE TRADE delveeeee.

I just went 3-0 in a draft with the final game involving me being stuck on 3-4 mana until i had 15 cards left in my deck, having only milled 2 lands in total. Then I won because delve and trade 4eva.

This set will see more anscestral recalls cast in draft than in the history of vintage.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 4, 2014

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Would 6-9 green fetches be good to run in a mono green modern deck? I have landfall triggers and oracles of mul day as and a few azusas and summer blooms, as well as landfall triggers. I have a playset of wooded foothills, a windswept Heath, and a verdant catacombs, and may end up with a few more heaths.

Anil Dikshit fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 4, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

kizudarake posted:

Would 6-9 green fetches and/or terramorphing expanses be enough to run for landfall triggers/shuffle enablers in a modern mono green ramp deck to be worth it? I have a playset of wooded foothills, a windswept Heath, and a verdant catacombs, and may end up with a few more heaths.
What cards with landfall are you running first of all? That's important to know whether running those fetches are worth it.
Is the additional land to play ability from Oracle the reason why you're running it over Courser?

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Rinkles posted:

I'm almost curious as to the logistics.

They both rot things they touch, therefore, er go they can touch each other with no problems. :pseudo:

Note! The Patriarch's touch having the same rot-whatever-it-touches effect does not come up during Odyssey block and not mentioned until I think Legions.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sickening posted:

I make Twin play it out every time. I don't mind losing, I mind losing to Twin. Especially considering the first few matches I played against it, they made me play out my Mindslaver lock, even though they won't ever get another turn and I have a way to kill them either with my deck or theirs. Everyone else in that situation just scooped, so screw 'em.

Every other deck I scoop once I've lost.

Also, an IRL rules question: if I Mindslaver lock someone, I'm assuming I have to make an attempt to win if they don't scoop? Ie I can't just keep doing nothing, passing the turn and run the clock down to 2 minutes before I kill them? I'm pretty sure there's some rule forbidding me from doing nothing, but how would my opponent know I had nothing to do?

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
How much would a promo Jeskai Ascendancy go for now? I know promos aren't usually worth that much but Khans promos were semi-randomized so that might bump their prices up a bit right?

Websites like scg list it for $3 but they are all out of stock and tcgplayer lists it for $15+

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Chorocojo posted:

They both rot things they touch, therefore, er go they can touch each other with no problems. :pseudo:

Note! The Patriarch's touch having the same rot-whatever-it-touches effect does not come up during Odyssey block and not mentioned until I think Legions.

Delightful stuff, thanks.

Related, is Jeska alive? I've never read up on the details of what actually transpired during Time Spiral.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Rinkles posted:

Delightful stuff, thanks.

Related, is Jeska alive? I've never read up on the details of what actually transpired during Time Spiral.

She was the last one to sacrifice herself to close the last biggest baddest portal. In the book they even give her an afterlife scene where she finally gets to see her brother again.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Can spirit planeswalkers be a thing?

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

suicidesteve posted:

I make Twin play it out every time. I don't mind losing, I mind losing to Twin. Especially considering the first few matches I played against it, they made me play out my Mindslaver lock, even though they won't ever get another turn and I have a way to kill them either with my deck or theirs. Everyone else in that situation just scooped, so screw 'em.

Every other deck I scoop once I've lost.

Also, an IRL rules question: if I Mindslaver lock someone, I'm assuming I have to make an attempt to win if they don't scoop? Ie I can't just keep doing nothing, passing the turn and run the clock down to 2 minutes before I kill them? I'm pretty sure there's some rule forbidding me from doing nothing, but how would my opponent know I had nothing to do?

You can just demonstrate a loop that they'll mill out while you continuously draw mindslaver. At least that's what ye local U Tron guy does around here.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

TheLawinator posted:

You can just demonstrate a loop that they'll mill out while you continuously draw mindslaver. At least that's what ye local U Tron guy does around here.

Yeah but if you want to simply eat up time, you can choose to do nothing every turn, yes. Your opponent must decide whether to concede or let you continue doing nothing. Much like how nothing in the rules requires you to attack an opponent with no cards in hand, graveyard, or play who is at 1 life with your Shivan Dragon.

As long as you aren't wasting time within a given turn, you are allowed reasonable time to consider options, make choice, and move on. I don't know if he can force you to shortcut a process as long as you're doing it at a reasonable speed, though. I assume not...?

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 4, 2014

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

neetengie posted:

What cards with landfall are you running first of all? That's important to know whether running those fetches are worth it.
Is the additional land to play ability from Oracle the reason why you're running it over Courser?

Grazing gladehart, mostly. Also, centaur courser is oracle 5 through 8 in the deck.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

The March Hare posted:

Decided to give sealed on mtgo a shot, pulled foil siege rhino, foil bloodstained mire, and a mantis rider. Winning even if I lose~

And in conclusion I just won game 1 of round 4 very quickly w/ Abzan Ascendancy and then played it turn 4 during game two, swung for 11, had no blockers, and my opponent very rapidly fires off his trumpet blast....................................................... during his main phase and attacks me for 7. 4-0 2ez.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Rinkles posted:

We'll find out soon with Ugin, won't we? :v:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Snacksmaniac posted:

Esper mill. More fetch lands in more places.

Good take caller, I went 3-1 split and cracked the last Polluted Delta that I need, among other things :toot: Recap below:

1. vs MonoU Tron (2-0)
Game 1 I Surgical away one of his Tron pieces, and after a couple counterspells he can't do much and I grind him out. Game 2 he hits Tron but I Surgical away his Wurmcoil Engines. Right before I mill him out he drops a Platinum Angel, but I have a Path to Exile in hand. Afterwords I realize I missed a chance to steal his Angel with an Entering off of a Shelldock Isle, but oh well (it was in his yard but he got it back with Academy Ruins)

2. vs GR Tron (2-0)
Game 1 I again Surgical away a Tron piece early, only to see a single Emrakul while searching :saddowns: I get a little gun-shy as a result but I eventually draw Crypt Incursion and start pressing my luck again. I get him down to <10 in his library and he discards the Emrakul because he has eight cards in hand :argh: I remove it, but now I have to mill him out again. Luckily I think I hit all of his Wurmcoils with that Crypt Incursion, which gives me enough time to draw the gas I need to win. Game 2 I board in RIP and hit it turn 2, double Archive Trap him by Ghost Quartering a Tron land, and manage to exile the Emrakul but he gets the Tron back and goes Platinum Angel and Karn (exiling RIP) in back-to-back turns. After a couple turns of Angel beats I topdeck Path for the win.

3. vs Grixis(?) Delver (2-0)
This guy is a regular, and as this tourney allows for proxies he claims to have proxied the entire deck on his walk to the shop. Game 1 I keep a land with three Hedron Crabs and one land, and manage to draw a second land and mill him out at 1 life (he gets three Delvers in play but can't manage to flip them). Game 2 I keep a hand with a Crab, a blue source and four fetches, and take a ride to value town milling 24 cards for U while he gets stuck on two lands. He (in good humor) throws the deck in the trash immediately after packing up. Side note, he had 2-0'd a guy piloting Jeskai Storm the previous round.

4. vs uB Zombie Aggro (0-2)
I always seem to play this guy at Modern events, and I hate it because his deck is super-annoying and surprisingly good. We agreed to split before starting, and good thing too as he whips my rear end in short order game 1 and I'm one blue short of milling him out game 2. He's running stuff like Diefgraf Ghoul, Gravecrawler, Mortapod, Diegraf Captain, Geralf's Messenger, Phyrexian Obliterator, Tragic Slip; he joked that it's basically a SOM-INN Standard deck other than Thoughtseizes and a couple counterspells.

Might have to talk to YeehawMcKickass about removing the "don't play mill!" clause in the Brewhaus OP, every time I bring this deck to a tournament I always walk away with prizes. Having on-color fetches helps make the deck more consistent too, though I got really lucky because there were three Infect players there and I saw none of them. Other dude opened a Strand and gave his friend a pack, who proceeded to pull a Sorin. And between the two of us we opened as many fetches as we did Treasure Cruises :goleft:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 5, 2014

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

The March Hare posted:

And in conclusion I just won game 1 of round 4 very quickly w/ Abzan Ascendancy and then played it turn 4 during game two, swung for 11, had no blockers, and my opponent very rapidly fires off his trumpet blast....................................................... during his main phase and attacks me for 7. 4-0 2ez.

I think I would have had a better line against you in that G1 mull 5, should have just wrestled your morph down with Temur Charm and one of my own morphs before you get the Ghostblade equipped. Would have had time to flip later, and being a lot ahead on board probably was the best bet of winning there. I tend to hold the charms back in my hand really far.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Sickening posted:

Having been Mindslaver locked myself, I usually just scoop. There isn't anything I can do normally.

I played Jeskai Ascendency Storm last night at my LGS's modern FNM. Everyone let me play it out with the exception of one person round 3 who scooped when it looked like I wasn't going to fizzle. Went 4-0 because the deck is silly.

Went to a standard win-a-box tournament today, playing Temur Mid-range. Won three rounds, then split the 4th round because my girlfriend was the other opponent. :v:

Deckit fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 5, 2014

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Deckit posted:

I played Jeskai Ascendency last night at my LGS's FNM. Everyone let me play it out with the exception of one person round 3 who scooped when it looked like I wasn't going to fizzle. Went 4-0 because the deck is silly.

Standard or modern? I assume modern because that deck is actually good, but isn't FNM standard? Is the jeskai ascendency standard deck actually good :stare:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Mortimer posted:

Standard or modern? I assume modern because that deck is actually good, but isn't FNM standard? Is the jeskai ascendency standard deck actually good :stare:

I assume he's talking about Modern because in the Standard version, there's no chance of "fizzling". In the Modern one it's extremely unlikely, but if you just draw like 5-6 lands in a row while "going off", the combo fails.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

No, no. Sorry. We have one Modern FNM a month at my store and I played Jeskai Storm for it.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Rinkles posted:

I wanna say that a spark can only reside in a living, sentient host, which is why there arent a bunch of cockroach and deer planeswalkers.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Veyrall posted:

I wanna say that a spark can only reside in a living, sentient host, which is why there arent a bunch of cockroach and deer planeswalkers.

Basically yeah. They normally only occur in sapient, living things that were born.

-Created beings like Angels or Demons cannot have sparks. This is essentially the "No Phyrexians" rule.
--Karn has almost 4000 years of backstory about how he ended up with a spark.

-The undead cannot hold sparks.
--Sorin is a weird one because Innistradi vampires technically aren't undead.

quote:

Vampirism on Innistrad is neither a virus nor a curse, but what the vampires themselves somewhat euphemistically call a "condition of the blood." It is an anointing that persists and is perpetuated by magic alone, and few if any of its bearers consider it a curse. When reflecting on the nature of "the condition," vampires sometimes poetically call it an ablution, a washing of the self in blood that results in a new state of being. Innistrad vampires are not truly undead, although they have some undead traits (such as agelessness and skin that's cold to the touch).

Tangentially related, the Eldrazi do not have sparks. They can innately travel across the Blind Eternities naturally.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Mortimer posted:

As a matter of fact, Standard Ascendancy Combo is also quite good, if not as broken.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Chorocojo posted:

Basically yeah. They normally only occur in sapient, living things that were born.

-Created beings like Angels or Demons cannot have sparks.

What about Ob Nixilis? Do I have it wrong that he was a demon planeswalker who lost his spark?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

JerryLee posted:

What about Ob Nixilis? Do I have it wrong that he was a demon planeswalker who lost his spark?

He was a planeswalker before he became a demon IIRC.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

JerryLee posted:

I think he was a planeswalker who was in the form of a demon when he lost his spark and so was stuck. Taken him this long to grow wings.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Chorocojo posted:

Imagine a 40-foot-tall Dr. Robotnik that's turned himself inside out

thats actually cool

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Is it dumb to do anything but Abzan for the prerelease? Siege Rhino is 8tix online right now, seems good to get almost 50% of your buy in back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Personally I think it's dumb not to try and have the most fun rather than thinking about whether or not you can score a sick nasty 8 dollars. I guess it's cool if you like the colors.

• Locked thread