Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Carbon dioxide posted:

I thought it was very unfair that only those who happened to be on the night-side of the earth during that 1.5 hours got a light-vote whether to kill the moon or not.

I wonder how many of the people of that half of the planet were asleep too.

"We voted on WHAT last night? :stare:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

This really has been Jenna Coleman's series. That 'breakup' scene was fierce.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Capaldi and Anderson are great too. The Doctor's pained confusion as he's explaining he felt was respecting humanity's right to choose it's destiny, and Danny's understated supportiveness and the hints of what happened to make him leave the army. (I do kinda wish they'd bite the bullet and have him say it, but I bet that's being saved for the finale.)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I'm bored of this season and Capaldi already. Please gently caress off Moffat.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I was hoping the NEXT TIME tease would a million motion-sensing space spiders suddenly raining down on future Earth while the Doctor mopes about in a bar or something.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

reality_groove posted:

This really has been Jenna Coleman's series. That 'breakup' scene was fierce.

I agree completely, she has been outstanding. I didn't know her earlier stuff, and she really didn't have a lot to work with last year, but she's been a revelation.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The moon doesn't weigh 1.6 billion (1,600,000,000) tons, or whatever the number was they kept bandying about. The moon weighs (approx) 73,459,000,000,000,000,000 tons (73 quintillion), if I'm reading Wolfram Alpha right. Sci-fi writers really don't get how massive planetary bodies are. :sperg:

Edit: more spergery; again, if I'm using Wolfram Alpha right and assuming that rock weighs one ton per cubic metre, a 1.6 billion ton moon would only be about a mile in diameter.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 4, 2014

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012
Did I read an anti-abortion message in that or

bob holness paradox
Aug 22, 2009

ceci n'est pas un presentateur
I'm getting exceptionally bored of 'The Clara Oswald Hour guest starring The Doctor' format. Thank goodness she doesn't seem to be in next week's episode.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Payndz posted:

The moon doesn't weigh 1.6 billion (1,600,000,000) tons, or whatever the number was they kept bandying about. The moon weighs (approx) 73,459,000,000,000,000,000 tons (73 quintillion), if I'm reading Wolfram Alpha right. Sci-fi writers really don't get how massive planetary bodies are. :sperg:

Edit: more spergery; again, if I'm using Wolfram Alpha right and assuming that rock weighs one ton per cubic metre, a 1.6 billion ton moon would only be about a mile in diameter.

The 1.6 billion was the additional mass the moon had gained. Not it's total.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

nuzak posted:

Did I read an anti-abortion message in that or

I did feel there was a strong abortion subtext, though I actually read it more as pro-choice. The fact that three women were ultimately left to make the decision can't have been a coincidence.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I did feel there was a strong abortion subtext, though I actually read it more as pro-choice. The fact that three women were ultimately left to make the decision can't have been a coincidence.

Also, the pretty blatant threefold goddess thing. They even had Clara saying she wants kids in case you didn't get that she's the Mother.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

Also, the pretty blatant threefold goddess thing.

I wasn't actually familiar with this but looking it up, yeah it comes across as even more blatant than what I'd already picked up on.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Payndz posted:

Ah, but you're using 2014 tons. 2049 tons are much larger!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

vegetables posted:

Ah, but you're using 2014 tons. 2049 tons are much larger!

The Doctor should've let Clara stew in the Angry Dome for a bit.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The moon surface was filmed in Lanzarote! Return to Planet of Fire!

Also, the Mexican moonbase had ponchos and cacti in the background. :cripes:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Holy poo poo really? I didn't notice that at all but oh my God :cripes:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

The moon surface was filmed in Lanzarote! Return to Planet of Fire!

I saw the cacti, and rolled my eyes, but y'know, fine, I could see an American astronaut bringing along an tacky Uncle Sam bobblehead or a Scot bringing some lucky heather or something, so whatever. Where were the ponchos, though?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hang on, how the gently caress was the moon getting more massive? Eggs don't get heavier over time, where was all the extra mass coming from?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dabir posted:

Hang on, how the gently caress was the moon getting more massive? Eggs don't get heavier over time, where was all the extra mass coming from?

We'll explain later.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

The Doctor should've let Clara stew in the Angry Dome for a bit.

I would have no problem at all with Doctor Who going full-bore Futurama with its science at this point; it's already more or less there.

I liked this episode a lot, even with its "make the stupid decision that turns out to be right" ending which people think is a good for children to hear for some mad reason. The last astronauts with the last nuclear bombs, landing on a Moon covered in cobwebs. That's a really beautiful way of illustrating the end of one era metaphorically, having the Cold War's iconography collapse to cause a whole new future to be born. And I really like the idea of the Doctor just loving off and making people make historically important decisions. It's just, well, it's a shame they can't carry through with said decisions; this would have been much stronger if they'd had the guts to Kill the Moon.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

PriorMarcus posted:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also eggs don't take billions of years to hatch! :aaa:

DJ Ramshackle
Nov 26, 2009

Not really a DJ

not quite a ramshackle
There was one poncho draped over a chair that was the same poncho from Amy's Choice, I'm pretty sure.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I was enjoying that until the egg revelation, which was just too stupid for me.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Dabir posted:

Haha, I was going to put that in my earlier spergy post too, but deleted it. Glad to know I'm not the only person who gets pissed off by unaccountable mass gains in my sci-fi!

It's funny how Capaldi is clearly a massive Pertwee fan, but his Doctor is so far Three's polar opposite: Pertwee always played the Doctor as a heroic figure of trust and safety for the kids watching ("Who's your friend" was a Radio Times cover!), while Twelve is a massively irresponsible rear end in a top hat who directly endangers (and then abandons) a child to prove a point and doesn't give a poo poo. Post-watershed, at that!

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004
I would have enjoyed an ending when the nukes went off, and then the Doctor dashed out and went, "Okay, let's go and.... oh wait, what, you actually killed it? Umm, this is awkward."

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

PriorMarcus posted:

This, this, this.

About the only part I liked was the end where Clara was telling the Doctor to gently caress The gently caress Off Already because, frankly, I agree with her.

Capaldi is, of course, a great actor, but his Doctor is a horrible dickhead, and like a poster said before, he's not even like Six (or one of the more 'difficult' Doctors). There's no sense of an inner life that is in any way Doctor-ish. He's the first Doctor that I don't buy being The Doctor (and I'm even including Tennant in that statement).

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Dabir posted:

Yeah I kinda sorta really want to hit several people very hard with a piece of wood with "CONSERVATION" written on it right now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

This, this, this.

About the only part I liked was the end where Clara was telling the Doctor to gently caress The gently caress Off Already because, frankly, I agree with her.

Capaldi is, of course, a great actor, but his Doctor is a horrible dickhead, and like a poster said before, he's not even like Six (or one of the more 'difficult' Doctors). There's no sense of an inner life that is in any way Doctor-ish. He's the first Doctor that I don't buy being The Doctor (and I'm even including Tennant in that statement).

There's nothing Doctor-ish about deciding he doesn't have the right to choose if a creature that has of yet done no harm should live or die?

I think a lot of what people mean is that he's not being presented entirely positively, which I thought was a big complaint about Smith and Tennant, what with the Jesus-Doctor stuff?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I've thought the season has been consistently good, outside of the first half of Deep Breath and this rather lacklustre episode. But I've been enthralled with Capaldi and Coleman who I think have both been excellent.

Coleman has been the real standout though, primarily because it's been such an improvement over her portrayal in her first year in the show. Capaldi being great is hardly a surprise and I really enjoy his Doctor, but it's the growth of Clara as a character that has really stood out.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

http://www.philipsandifer.com/2014/10/kill-moon-review.html

quote:

This was the single best episode of Doctor Who ever.

Oh, Sandifer :allears:

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 4, 2014

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Oh good, I'll write whoever this is on a list of reviewers to disregard.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well that was a very silly episode. What happened to all the tronspiders? Can bacteria survive in space?

I liked the funny bits, but yeah, on the whole the episode was just kind of there. Oh, but the Doctor's face after he said the Moon was an egg was excellent. Oh, and also the overly dramatic run down the corridor, hair blowing majestically around was funny. I don't think it was meant to be though. Basically I liked the comedic bits, the serious bits were just impossible to take seriously. Except the bust-up at the end, that was actually quite effective.

Also it was loving hilarious that while they were having a big old chat on the beach they missed the mooncritter laying an egg.

Hope Daleks or something attack the Earth and get chomped by a baby space dragon later. :3:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

By the by, I could have sworn blind that "moon is actually an egg" is a pretty common mythological motif, but I can't seem to find anything with a quick google. Anyone?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Gaz-L posted:

There's nothing Doctor-ish about deciding he doesn't have the right to choose if a creature that has of yet done no harm should live or die?

Well, no, to be honest. He hasn't been that morally ambiguous since the sixties. Yes, I know they bring up the Hitler parallel and that, but it felt disingenuous, and out of context with the general tone of the show.

Outside of the fictional universe, the Doctor is meant to be the voice of humanistic intellect and romance. He's kind of meant to be a role model. I don't mind challenging that idea, but in this case it just felt weird. Of course the Doctor would have sympathy with the creature. Of course he'd want to save it, and he'd probably know it would do no ultimate harm. As it stands, it felt like he was just withholding information for the gently caress of it (as Clara points out).

EDIT - This, pretty much VVV

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 4, 2014

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Gaz-L posted:

I think a lot of what people mean is that he's not being presented entirely positively, which I thought was a big complaint about Smith and Tennant, what with the Jesus-Doctor stuff?
To me, it's not that he's "not being presented entirely positively". He's not being presented positively, full stop! So far, Twelve has been a colossal, petulant, arrogant, unlikeable dickhead to such an extent that he makes Six look like Five. Why would anyone want to spend time with him? Maybe Moffat and co are doing this on purpose as part of some redemptive master plan, but JNT did the same with Colin Baker, and look how well that turned out.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Autonomous Monster posted:

By the by, I could have sworn blind that "moon is actually an egg" is a pretty common mythological motif, but I can't seem to find anything with a quick google. Anyone?

That made me half-remember a couple of things so I had a quick google myself, found some reviews of the episode, some nutty conspiracy theorists, and a lot of asking for help in Harvest Moon. There seem to be quite a few moons that are eggs scattered about in mythology and media, but none about the Earth's moon that I could find. Oh, tons of evil moons as well.

fake edit: oh, realised the main one I was thinking of was Legend of Dragoon, an old old RPG. I am a huge nerd.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

That episode was pretty bad. We haven't had a really good one since Listen, in my opinion, just bad and decent, so I'm hoping the end of the season really picks things up. Although I suspect I will end up not liking the over-arching plot with "Heaven" and Missy, so I'm not holding my breath. It's kind of a shame because I really like Capaldi's Doctor, and so far he's been saddled with a bunch of middling episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I quite liked it, as I quite liked the one last week, and the week before that. The egg-laying at the end was silly, yeah (are space dragons born pregnant like Tribbles?), but I enjoyed it overall. I think there were some bits here and there that will eventually be looked back on as moments that really defined the character of the Twelfth Doctor, the "break-up" scene at the end possibly most of all.

All that having been said, I still feel like there's some strange disconnect going on with this season. I like all the individual parts - Capaldi is brilliant, Clara is great, Danny seems to have potential - and I haven't actively disliked anything since about halfway through Deep Breath, but somehow it's not all coalescing into the whole I feel it could. I'm kind of not feeling it, is what I guess I'm saying, and I really don't know if it's me or the show. I guess we'll see if my opinion changes once the season wraps up.

Also, didn't somebody post here a while ago about how they were babysitting (I think?) some kids and they made up Doctor Who stories together, and one of the kids came up with "the moon is an egg"? They weren't babysitting for the Harnesses, were they?

• Locked thread