Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tai
Mar 8, 2006
It must be a mod I use but luckily, residential seems to zone pretty uniform instead of random crap all over so fortunately, I don't have to worry about demolish/grow/historic too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
While I'm talking about residential, this mod is probably the best mod I've ever installed minus NAM.

http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/26114-roadside-parking-lots-pack/

It sucks for dependencies for someone who is light on mods but it really is worth it. It's a 1 tile modular car park that looks great everywhere. It also has a car park/bus stop that fits in well too. I use them frequently all over and it has made sim's use the bus in massive amounts. Its rare to see a long commute when hovering over a building. Be warned though, if you have transit such as trains that link to commerce or industry, it will get hammered. I'm having to use stations every 15-20 tiles.

There's also car parks with back walls to it that reduce traffic noise. You can also place a digger piece to open up just the walls and use the wall pieces for aesthetic designing while reducing traffic noise. A very worth while mod if you can be bothered to also install the needed files.

And since car parks/buses make traffic virtually green everywhere, I'll link the other ones I use...

http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/21570-underground-car-park/ - 3x3 low rise 10000 capacity. Nice for non residential areas.

http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/12774-ndex-parking-lots-by-ardecila/ - 3 x big lot car parks. 2x5, 3x4 and 4x4 I think. Looks great in those out of town shopping malls or in front big industrial complexes.

http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/22713-rtmt-add-on-pack-v360/ - On street buses and bus/subway for all roads (not highway). Very very handy in densely packed areas where you don't want to build stuff next to a road.

http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/29196-greyhound-bus-terminal-evansville-in-v2/ - Greyhound bus terminal. It just looks cool. I love placing these close by to those 10x10 central train stations and add some cafe's, parking and stuff like burger king to make a cool area.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Yeah I can affirm that the ones Tai is recommending are pretty good, though it took a couple tries to wrap my head around how the parking lots pack orients. The big one that's missing I would recommend thoroughly is hooha's Modular Parking Lots http://community.simtropolis.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=user_activity&search_app=downloads&mid=90899 which are by far my favorite for making the kind of parking lot you get at a mall, a big box store, or a hospital.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
poo poo son, I like these. Downloading!

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
It's a little disappointing that it is only the entrance to the parking lot that functions as a car park rather each tile in the carp park. Nice for eye candy but 1500 capacity is fairly low considering there would get used personally for malls, industry parks and big mass transit stops. None the less, it's by far the best car park modular set I've seen.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

Tai posted:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0QVgeytQAimdUNqbllaN085cVk/edit?usp=sharing

Think thats a link to my plugin zip. Shows up for me anyway.

Few more points, it doesn't have terrain mod folder and some stuff doesn't show up till you place a 1x1 tile then the stuff appears in the menu. Just browse through it and you'll see them.

E - New link for updated mega pack.

Is this hosted anywhere else? Downloaded it for one and a half hours and then suddenly it cancelled itself, saying "Network error" :smith:

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Not by me personally. Someone else might have uploaded it as a back up. It might just be google being lame.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Tai posted:

It's a little disappointing that it is only the entrance to the parking lot that functions as a car park rather each tile in the carp park. Nice for eye candy but 1500 capacity is fairly low considering there would get used personally for malls, industry parks and big mass transit stops. None the less, it's by far the best car park modular set I've seen.

Yeah the capacity is lower than I'd like, but making car parks with multiple entrances helps that a bit. For appearance though, it is indeed the best.

In other news, I just (re)discovered that laying water pipes under roads deletes any name tags you've slapped onto them. I had my nice little 5,500 population Bobcat Island going along well, everything was named and ordered, and I was ready to add water. I usually lay water pipes under roads because they're a good guide to where water needs to go so I can slap pipes down without much thought. And then :suicide:

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
I've never used a sign in Sim City in my life.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
gently caress me I need some high capacity stations that aren't large size if anyone has any. My high density RS plowed through a few growth stages in quick time and my train network is getting hazed. Using the modern arch railway station is getting a bit old but dam its good. 30k capacity and also has a bus station. 1x5 size so slots nicely along the railway.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

FlyingCheese posted:

I like to use them to distinguish towns within large tiles. It adds to the realism when you see smaller towns get swallowed up by major population centers then inevitably become Burroughs as the city continues to grow.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I've never used the import a sim functionality in SC4. It basically does nothing, right?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Yup, does nothing without a copy of Sims 1 installed and does nothing useful with it installed.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
I think all it does is place your Sim into the city, and then they go around reacting to stuff. Sort of like if you buy a radio or whatever in The Sims they'll come over and check it out and let you know if they like it or not.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

HappyHelmet posted:

I think all it does is place your Sim into the city, and then they go around reacting to stuff. Sort of like if you buy a radio or whatever in The Sims they'll come over and check it out and let you know if they like it or not.

And then you'll proceed to ignore them and do whatever the hell you were going to do anyway :v:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

FlyingCheese posted:

My verisimilitude :ohdear:

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Uhhh. So I think I'm an idiot, but I've no idea how to make signs and it would be much easier for me to design cities with signs around. How do I do it? :v:

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Only gays use signs. Are you saying you are gay sir?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Tai posted:

Only gays use signs. Are you saying you are gay sir?

im gay

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Yes I'm gay and I'm proud of it :colbert:

Seriously, how do you put up signs like that?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Stalins Moustache posted:

I think there's a button for it on the bottom of the mayor-mode menu for terraforming.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Stalins Moustache posted:

The top button with the options for water/trees also has an option for signs.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
You can also name streets with the same menu, and have the text overlayed on the street like it's Google Maps or something.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I'd use signs but the graphics for them are offensively intrusive and ugly. :colbert:

I think I once looked to see if there were mods for that but didn't find anything.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Also speaking of Ciabatta. It's grown a little since that screenshot:

After the docks were built industry in the city quickly began to expand. The influx of new jobs brought in more cash, and people to the city. Suburbs quickly began creeping out into the city. The town of Panettone was quickly incorporated into Ciabatta. The other local town Scone continued to remain independent, but when Scone was chosen for the site of a university and golf course it too was incorporated as well.

At that point Commercial demand started to skyrocket, but there wasn't enough room for commerce to expand and the local populace refused to move. It was decided to build the new commercial development to the West side of the lake. This new area became known as Zucchini, and it quickly rivaled the downtown Ciabatta proper.

Previous region view:

New region view:

Pain Normand has also grown a lot. Though it's mostly a suburban industrial hell hole. Limpa continued to grow as a bedroom community as Ciabatta grew. I also put some time into the Rye area.

Not sure where I'll go from here. Ciabatta needs mass transit added in, the East cities need work, and I'd like to add in more farms in to keep things looking realistic(ish). I should probably add in an interstate style highway too, but I really hate dicking around with those things. Avenues are bad enough.

black goku
Jan 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 651 days!
does anyone have Toroca's Stage Limits Mod v1.0?
this file is seemingly lost to the internet with the shutting down of simphoni forums, does anyone have a copy saved? as well it is not on the stexchange as i have asked the moderators

the pertaining mod files are called

officestagecaps.dat
and
residentialstagecaps.dat

thanks for reading

black goku
Jan 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 651 days!

Tai posted:

Anyone have any decent I-HT buildings and/or growables? I've got the main stream stuff but I'm still lacking badly on HT buildings as the shame poo poo grows over and over. The picture shows how limited my HT choice is and it's annoying.

it looks cool im going to download the mods you uploaded
going for 15gb mods

black goku
Jan 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 651 days!

black goku posted:

it looks cool im going to download the mods you uploaded
going for 15gb mods

your plugins folder is broken i d/l whole thing it says Failed - network error

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

black goku posted:

your plugins folder is broken i d/l whole thing it says Failed - network error

Must have been a fuckup with the download, because I downloaded Tai's latest pack shortly after he posted it and it worked fine.

black goku
Jan 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 651 days!
Toroca's Stage Limits Mod v1.0?
this file is seemingly lost to the internet with the shutting down of simphoni forums, does anyone have a copy saved? as well it is not on the stexchange as i have asked the moderators
the pertaining mod files are called
officestagecaps.dat and residentialstagecaps.dat
thanks for reading

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
What is the mod supposed to do? It might of been shelved if someone brought a better one out.

Regarding my mod pack, I'm not sure why you get an network error. It might be an error in the network hurr. Seriously, no idea though. I plan on adding my current mod pack to replace the one linked as it's been cleaned up a bit along with a few added mods. Cool poo poo like it auto adds vanity stuff to transits depending on the wealth/density a zone is. Fancy street lights for high wealth residential or knocked over bins for slums for example. It's a pretty sexy mod actually and adds a great touch.

Tai fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 5, 2014

black goku
Jan 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 651 days!

Tai posted:

What is the mod supposed to do? It might of been shelved if someone brought a better one out.

Regarding my mod pack, I'm not sure why you get an network error. It might be an error in the network hurr. Seriously, no idea though. I plan on adding my current mod pack to replace the one linked as it's been cleaned up a bit along with a few added mods. Cool poo poo like it auto adds vanity stuff to transits depending on the wealth/density a zone is. Fancy street lights for high wealth residential or knocked over bins for slums for example. It's a pretty sexy mod actually and adds a great touch.

the mod changes the game default growth stages so larger buildings will grow at lower populations, also colloquially known as "the downtown hole mod"

i will try downloading the mods again

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Tai posted:

Please do! Your mod pack has been great.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Tai posted:

Ooooh, sounds awesome. I just got a new hard drive I've been meaning to fill up with awesome stuff like this, for which I didn't have the space before.

black goku
Jan 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 651 days!

Tai posted:

ya it still doesnt work if you can try uploading to mega.co it would be great

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
A really small detail, but Tai's pack has the industry job doubler mod(s) in it, and it has both sets -- the ones that double pollution and the ones that don't. It's one of those mods where you're meant to choose one or the other.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

A really small detail, but Tai's pack has the industry job doubler mod(s) in it, and it has both sets -- the ones that double pollution and the ones that don't. It's one of those mods where you're meant to choose one or the other.

Do you know the file names? I'll remove the pollution one before I upload the new stuff.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Hurr

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Haha, yeah the names are pretty cryptic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Haha, yeah the names are pretty cryptic.

So...what are they :D

• Locked thread