Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

MysteryGuest posted:

Read back a couple pages and didn't see anyone mention Resolution. If you haven't seen it, you should watch it.

I've been meaning to rewatch it. It's good and so loving weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

I finally willed myself to watch Boys Don't Cry and now I want to curl up and die.

I saw this movie when it was first released on dvd, and while it was in fact a very good movie I will never ever watch that movie again.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Leper Residue posted:

I saw this movie when it was first released on dvd, and while it was in fact a very good movie I will never ever watch that movie again.

That's how I always describe Requiem for a Dream. "You should definitely see it it's very good, I don't want to watch it with you though gently caress that."

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Ugh. The talk about needing to break a dvd into one-thousand pieces and then curl up in a ball brought back memories of "irreversible." Such a beautiful, horrific movie.

MysteryGuest
Mar 7, 2006

Rolo posted:

That's how I always describe Requiem for a Dream. "You should definitely see it it's very good, I don't want to watch it with you though gently caress that."

There are a bunch of movies like that for me. Melancholia is the biggest one. It stuck with me for several weeks after, and ruined full moons for me forever.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Dittoing the love of "curl up into a little ball and feel like dying" movies by recommending I Melt With You which at least used to be on Netflix and had me short of breath and face in hands by the time it ended. Don't read up on it beforehand though, just let it all wash over you at its own pace.

You'll... thank me? Maybe?

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MysteryGuest posted:

There are a bunch of movies like that for me. Melancholia is the biggest one. It stuck with me for several weeks after, and ruined full moons for me forever.

Rules of Attraction did that to me. There is something unsettling about that movie. The suicide scene made me feel uncomfortable and still does to this day.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Enter the Void was like that for me. I watched it for the first time about a month after my mom died and I will never do that again. It's a good movie and I highly recommend it but I don't think I'll ever watch it again.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Rolo posted:

City of God for me.

(It's available on Netflix, go check it out if you haven't seen it!)

Sand Monster has a new favorite as of 14:45 on Sep 22, 2014

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Enter the Void was like that for me. I watched it for the first time about a month after my mom died and I will never do that again. It's a good movie and I highly recommend it but I don't think I'll ever watch it again.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1191111/board/flat/178356969 the first few posts of this were one of the best IMDB exchanges I've ever seen. The deleted post was just someone saying "not funny".

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

Let the Fire Burn is a really spectacular, albeit depressing, documentary.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I was excited to hear Good Eats was added, but it turns out it is only a small collection of episodes and not whole seasons.

Still a great show though

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
You should watch Resolution but make sure you don't read about it first.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Deadite posted:

I was excited to hear Good Eats was added, but it turns out it is only a small collection of episodes and not whole seasons.

Still a great show though

Yeah, only 25 episodes for some reason. They're great though. I don't normally watch consecutive episodes, so it's fun seeing how he occasionally has running gags for like 3 or 4 episodes in a row, like the Nobel Prize committee one in a few of these episodes.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I finally got around to watching The Pact. I really liked where the movie started and there were a few good scares early on. The further into the plot they got the less I liked it however. I just wanted a haunted house movie with a better background I guess.

Oldstench posted:

You should watch Resolution but make sure you don't read about it first.

Resolution is dope and I've been meaning to rewatch it.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
The Machine is a pretty bad rear end sci-fi movie where the government tries to design AI robots to use as weapons and of course something goes bad. Worth checking out. The ending seemed pretty drat rushed though.

ebilflindas
Sep 16, 2013

SICK

Documentary about the late Bob Flanagan, a man with cystic fibrosis who used sadomasochistic performance art to cope with the pain. Documents his life all the way up to his death in 1996. Not for the faint hearted.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

casual poster posted:

The Machine is a pretty bad rear end sci-fi movie where the government tries to design AI robots to use as weapons and of course something goes bad. Worth checking out. The ending seemed pretty drat rushed though.

Such a great film. Yet another one that proves you don't have to dump millions upon millions of dollars into a movie in order to tell a good story.

TheJunkyardGod
Sep 19, 2004

Do not taunt the Octopus

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, only 25 episodes for some reason. They're great though. I don't normally watch consecutive episodes, so it's fun seeing how he occasionally has running gags for like 3 or 4 episodes in a row, like the Nobel Prize committee one in a few of these episodes.

They never really released his show on DVD aside for like 2 seasons and random collection of episodes :(

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Whispering Machines posted:

The Sacrament is up on Netflix Instant. Ti West flick with AJ Bowen and Joe Swanberg. It's essentially a retelling of Jonestown, so it's pretty hosed up.

I thought I'd put this on for some white noise like I do most B-movie horror films, but this thing drew me in almost immediately and I just stood there watching things unfold, horrified knowing the end result as I had already known of Jonestown and I heard the actual recording of the "Final Sermon" from the FBI's records where you can hear people and children crying in the background as they were doing what they were doing.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
A bit late, but Particle Fever is a great documentary about the search for the Higgs Boson, starting from the construction of the LHC. I've been putting off watching it, but it put a human face on CERN and really made me root for Higgs's discovery finally being proven decades later.

Also, Peaky Blinders is on US Netflix now. Former BBC series, a crime family (the peaky blinders - blind those who see, cut the tongues of those who tell) coping with a crackdown of police in 1919 England. Best I can describe it, while doing the series a lot of detriment,"Sopranos in 1920's England". It's a really good crime show, in a great historic setting. Sam Neill pulls off the British detective quite well, and Cillian Murphy does a good job of portraying the scary british gang boss.

Fishstick has a new favorite as of 00:12 on Oct 11, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Fishstick posted:

Also, Peaky Blinders is on US Netflix now. Former BBC series, a crime family (the peaky blinders - blind those who see, cut the tongues of those who tell) coping with a crackdown of police in 1919 England. Best I can describe it, while doing the series a lot of detriment,"Sopranos in 1920's England". It's a really good crime show, in a great historic setting. Sam Neill pulls off the British detective quite well, and Cillian Murphy does a good job of portraying the scary british gang boss.
Peaky Blinders was pretty alright when I watched it a few days ago - until I hit episode 6 and welp, no more. 6 episodes to a season? :gonk:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Welcome to BBC shows

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

coyo7e posted:

Peaky Blinders was pretty alright when I watched it a few days ago - until I hit episode 6 and welp, no more. 6 episodes to a season? :gonk:

It's called a series.

England only has smog. They don't have seasons.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Aphrodite posted:

It's called a series.

England only has smog. They don't have seasons.
Except for those shows which do. Like Torchwood.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

coyo7e posted:

Except for those shows which do. Like Torchwood.

Nope.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Torchwood_episodes

Series for that too.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

coyo7e posted:

New season has started, though!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

corn in the bible posted:

New season has started, though!
:woop:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Started watching Hemlock Grove knowing nothing about it and am disappointed to find out it's a vampire/werewolf show. Does this thing turn into a True Blood rip-off or is it worth continuing?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

wormil posted:

Started watching Hemlock Grove knowing nothing about it and am disappointed to find out it's a vampire/werewolf show. Does this thing turn into a True Blood rip-off or is it worth continuing?
It's Pretty Bad.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

wormil posted:

If you haven't seen it already, give Supernatural a shot. It starts off being monsters/vampires/werewolves/ghosts and then goes on from there. And there are 9 seasons of it on Netflix so it'll keep you busy!

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

priznat posted:

If you haven't seen it already, give Supernatural a shot. It starts off being monsters/vampires/werewolves/ghosts and then goes on from there. And there are 9 seasons of it on Netflix so it'll keep you busy!

Seeing "I don't like werewolves and vampires," Priznat replies "Well have I got the werewolf/vampire show for you!"

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

wormil posted:

It's terrible. At some point past where I gave up, there's apparently a scene where a vampire goes down on a girl who's on her period or something like that, and that probably gives you all the information you need to know about the show.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Count Uvula posted:

Seeing "I don't like werewolves and vampires," Priznat replies "Well have I got the werewolf/vampire show for you!"

To be fair there are only a handful of werewolf/vampire focused episodes, and honestly they are among the worst episodes and could probably be skipped. In any case, the episodes with them are more about the main characters hunting them down and killing them, rather than focusing on ~vampire culture~ or whatever like most of the shows/movies involving them. There is one episode that is a lovely ripoff of Twilight where they find some animal blood drinking vampires, and a very very awful episode in season 9 with vampire/werewolf crime "families" or whatever, but other than those I think it'd be a pretty good show even to a person who doesn't like vampire/werewolf shows. If you don't like shows about demons/angels though it's probably not the show for you because really that's mostly what it's about, especially in season 4 and 5 which are, in my opinion, by far the best ones.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

wormil posted:

If you don't like True Blood, I'd maybe stay away from Supernatural. Its got the same 'catalogue models fight spooky ghosts' feel, minus HBO nudity and budget. It's probably good if you're a teen or close to it. If you're an old fart like me it'll likely be a miss.

Cornuto has a new favorite as of 13:39 on Oct 15, 2014

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Cornuto posted:

If you don't like True Blood, I'd maybe stay away from Supernatural. Its got the same 'catalogue models fight spooky ghosts' feel, minus HBO nudity and budget. It's probably good if you're a teen or close to it. If you're an old fart like me it'll likely be a miss.

I'm oldish and like Supernatural. However, I liked the earlier "monster of the week" episodes the best (I also like Kolchak so...) . Wasn't sure about the whole angel/demon thing at first, but it grew on me.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

I'm oldish and like Supernatural. However, I liked the earlier "monster of the week" episodes the best (I also like Kolchak so...) . Wasn't sure about the whole angel/demon thing at first, but it grew on me.

I'm the same way. The whole reason I bought the first season DVD (besides that it was on sale for like $10) was that the description was basically "Brothers drive around the country murdering the hell out of American legends."

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Peaky Blinders is loving great, everyone watch it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah I should have said Supernatural isn't about werewolves/vampires, it's about murdering the poo poo out of monsters. Some of which happen to be vamps etc.

It's kind of the anti-True Blood imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Supernatural should have never had inter-brother drama or a story arc, just murdering poo poo forever.

• Locked thread