Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

D3m3 posted:

Ah, that's a relief...Well, sort of a relief. Since one of the guides I was following only mentioned this in the context of Mihara, I was sort of hoping there were individual affection "curves" of sorts for different guys. It's certainly a nice idea, anyway. Still, one can't complain that all's well.

Also, we can't distract Hibiya from his dreams! His oddly-specific dreams! ...Eh. It might be worth seeing, since his is not a character archetype I normally pay much attention to.

Basically, there are two modes: "don't their story mode/events" (neutral and below) and "start seeing their story mode/events" (smiley face and up). That's pretty much how it seems to work, mechanically.

As for Hibiya being likeable, yes, he's pretty likeable. But I have a hard time taking his voice seriously.

Plus, given that he's younger than everyone else, the designers usually put in a catch-up mechanic to make sure you see as much of him as you see of the other guys. I'm confident we'll see more of him.

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

vibratingsheep posted:

Basically, there are two modes: "don't their story mode/events" (neutral and below) and "start seeing their story mode/events" (smiley face and up). That's pretty much how it seems to work, mechanically.

As for Hibiya being likeable, yes, he's pretty likeable. But I have a hard time taking his voice seriously.

He's a prinny, dood!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Another point on Hibiya's side is that he's the only guy that doesn't have terrible outfits. In fact, Goonko needs to date art dude and main dude more because they have the worst outfits.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

Another point on Hibiya's side is that he's the only guy that doesn't have terrible outfits. In fact, Goonko needs to date art dude and main dude more because they have the worst outfits.

The problem is that his preference is for the ridiculous outfits. I was dicking around in my off time and this is the kind of outfit he would want Goonko to wear:

That's, like, dry heave territory right there. I don't know if I can live in a world where Goonko dresses like that.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
For a moment there I didn't see the pants at all and thought Goonko was heading out bottomless. :stare:

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster
Hey vibrating sheep, after you meet the rest of the guys (I assume this will probably happen) can you give us an opinion on who you think would you possibly go for if you played again?

Oh and i looked around the web and i won't spoil anything but most the guys aren't as bad as they look.

Sramaker fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 5, 2014

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Well, you can always dress up in sporty clothes too. I recall him liking that in the DS version. But yeah, check out that sexy shirt with a kitten on it. mmm, 90s fashion.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Potsticker posted:

He's a prinny, dood!

No way, dood!

But yeah his taste in clothes sounds pretty awful.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky
I like to think of Hibiya as a hyper puppy, because he really is. I haven't really had the gumption to try his route because just look at his hair. :haw: (And yeah, the cringeworthy wardrobe style he prefers, ew.) Yamaguchi Kappei also voices Ranma, though, which is my favorite role of his! It still doesn't make Hibiya cool, though, but that is just my opinion. I'm siding with Jenner on this one! Senpai does NOT want to notice you, sir.

D3m3 posted:

Ah, that's a relief...Well, sort of a relief. Since one of the guides I was following only mentioned this in the context of Mihara, I was sort of hoping there were individual affection "curves" of sorts for different guys. It's certainly a nice idea, anyway. Still, one can't complain that all's well.

It would be interesting if the game did it like that. Sheep's explanation makes sense, since I imagine seeing character events must raise their affection some. I'm not sure how it works, even though I have shamelessly been using a FAQ for some stuff. :shobon:

On the same note, I have noticed that on a certain route Hazuki, it sure seems like there was some thought put into that. Spoilered in case you intend to do his route:I did the Kei route out of morbid curiosity after winning Kazuma over, just to see how bland Mr. Mumbles could be. I don't know if it's just because Kei is the main love interest, but it seemed to me like he had a very sharp affection curve. It's fairly difficult to get him to :) state and above because he's so finicky. I found it hilarious how he likes to hang up when asked for dates and refuse to walk home with the main character, but he bombs the crap out of her in the third year if she ignores him in favor of another guy. :shrug: I have heard, though, that this game is really bad with bombs in general, and it has been pretty crazy in the few routes I've done. The absolute WORST character for bombs, though, is...

Freaking Morimura! :catstare: I can't stand that guy!I now go out of my way to never meet him if I can help it. I befriend Shiho so I don't raise my study stat in a way that makes him appear, because forget that clingy weirdo. I swear, he could probably give Yukiko a run for her money! Anyone else agree? We need a Sakuya version of that crazed evil face picture.

Sramaker posted:

Oh and i looked around the web and i won't anything but most the guys aren't as bad as they look.

This. I wasn't really wowed by the character designs before I played this, but the three routes I did were actually pretty fun. Even Kei, to some extent. I hate admitting that.

After seeing how the PS2 valentine minigame is done, the DS version is definitely sickeningly easy. Wow. The video was awesome, though. I wonder what the trick is?

By the way, this was ages and ages ago, but does anyone still have the link to the Castlevania Arcade Tokimeki gag ending on YouTube? I was trying to find it for a friend who loves Castlevania games and I have absolutely no idea where it was in the thread.

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster

Cheese Pain posted:

I like to think of Hibiya as a hyper puppy, because he really is. I haven't really had the gumption to try his route because just look at his hair. :haw: (And yeah, the cringeworthy wardrobe style he prefers, ew.) Yamaguchi Kappei also voices Ranma, though, which is my favorite role of his! It still doesn't make Hibiya cool, though, but that is just my opinion. I'm siding with Jenner on this one! Senpai does NOT want to notice you, sir.

It would be interesting if the game did it like that. Sheep's explanation makes sense, since I imagine seeing character events must raise their affection some. I'm not sure how it works, even though I have shamelessly been using a FAQ for some stuff. :shobon:

On the same note, I have noticed that on a certain route Hazuki, it sure seems like there was some thought put into that. Spoilered in case you intend to do his route:I did the Kei route out of morbid curiosity after winning Kazuma over, just to see how bland Mr. Mumbles could be. I don't know if it's just because Kei is the main love interest, but it seemed to me like he had a very sharp affection curve. It's fairly difficult to get him to :) state and above because he's so finicky. I found it hilarious how he likes to hang up when asked for dates and refuse to walk home with the main character, but he bombs the crap out of her in the third year if she ignores him in favor of another guy. :shrug: I have heard, though, that this game is really bad with bombs in general, and it has been pretty crazy in the few routes I've done. The absolute WORST character for bombs, though, is...

Freaking Morimura! :catstare: I can't stand that guy!I now go out of my way to never meet him if I can help it. I befriend Shiho so I don't raise my study stat in a way that makes him appear, because forget that clingy weirdo. I swear, he could probably give Yukiko a run for her money! Anyone else agree? We need a Sakuya version of that crazed evil face picture.

This. I wasn't really wowed by the character designs before I played this, but the three routes I did were actually pretty fun. Even Kei, to some extent. I hate admitting that.

After seeing how the PS2 valentine minigame is done, the DS version is definitely sickeningly easy. Wow. The video was awesome, though. I wonder what the trick is?

By the way, this was ages and ages ago, but does anyone still have the link to the Castlevania Arcade Tokimeki gag ending on YouTube? I was trying to find it for a friend who loves Castlevania games and I have absolutely no idea where it was in the thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGAaOrvIEX8
Here's what i found.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0N6cQw0a-M

This is the actual parody of Tokimemo that appears as a gag ending to the Castlevania arcade game.

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster

vibratingsheep posted:

This is the actual parody of Tokimemo that appears as a gag ending to the Castlevania arcade game.

Ah thanks i searched for it on Youtube but only one result showed up for me.

Sramaker fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 5, 2014

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky

vibratingsheep posted:

Thank you! That's precisely what I was looking for.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Cheese Pain posted:

I'll always remember Yamaguchi Kappei for Daisaku in Giant Robo: The Animation, even if I grew up on the dub. Punch him now, Giant Robo!

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Tokimemo Girl's Side chapter 10: (You're the) Devil in Disguise

6/14: Year 2 of the sports festival

This year, I chose the Scavenger Hunt Race, for the first time since the first Tokimemo.

As you can see, it's gone from picking out girls from a crowd to picking out the specific features of certain guys. This is pretty amusing, if a bit creepy to see things like Icehouse 01 with bunny ears and Kei with lipstick and whiteface.

Unfamiliarity with the mini-game and general unwillingness to interact with Shiki (who reminds me far too much of Shiratori in Tokimemo 3, if you're wondering why I dislike him) led to a poor poor finish for Goonko, which was enough to convince me to reload the game. I like finishing first, dammit!

I mean, look at her. Breaks your heart to see!

Kazuma: Seriously, Fudou? Last place?
Kazuma: You need to focus. Focus!
Goonko: (No way... this is a huge shock)

5/30 (reloaded): Mizukiiii

Mizuki: Salut, Fudou-san!
Goonko: Hey, Sudou-san.

This is essentially the "walk home with me" event, and there's no harm in saying yes to Mizuki. Just like the guy friends in other Tokimemos, it's just a stress-free piece of fluff that will not affect any bombs.

Mizuki: What a coincidence, Mizuki is also heading home.
Mizuki: Would you like company on your way home?
Goonko: Sure, let's stop by a cafe on our way.

Mizuki: Hey! Mizuki was about to suggest the same thing!
Goonko: Then let's get going!

Goonko: Say, Sudou-san...
Goonko: ...What kind of music do you listen to?
Mizuki: In the salon, there is always a string quartet playing. Live.
Mizuki: Grandfather said "Elite people should only listen to elite music."

Mizuki: But... honestly, Mizuki wants to know what everyone else listens to.
Mizuki: Fudou-san, if we ever get the chance, can we sneak somewhere so you can show me the third-rate music you listen to?
Goonko: (I feel kinda sorry for her, but at the same time...)

6/7 (reloaded): A new practice partner

As of this week, Tamami stops hanging out at basketball practice with Goonko, and Kazuma starts watching from the sidelines as Goonko makes the halfcourt circus shots.

Kazuma: You've been working really hard, Fudou.
Goonko: (Yay!)

6/8 (reloaded): An actual date with a boy

I just can't quit you, USA skirt.

Kazuma: Let's get in there, we're wasting time.
Kazuma: So, what're we doing today?
Goonko: We're going straight to the roller coaster.
Kazuma: Ooh, good call.

Kazuma: Listen up, okay?
Kazuma: Whatever you do, don't close your eyes. You'll miss out on all the fun that way.

I'm still gonna call bullshit on the game for this one. There's no way this Goonko would close her eyes and scream for this.

Kazuma: That was really drat fun!
Option 1: That feeling of acceleration is the best!
Option 2: This is child's play.
Option 3: I was so scared, I shut my eyes tight.

Goonko: That feeling of acceleration is the best!
Kazuma: Seriously!
Kazuma: That must be what stunt pilots feel like, right?
Goonko: (Yay! A perfect impression!)

Kazuma: Today was way too short. It feels like we haven't done enough, you know?
Kazuma: Let's do this again some time.
Kazuma: I'll walk you home.
Kazuma: It's a guy's duty, or something like that.

Goonko: Thanks for walking me all the way home. You didn't have to.
Kazuma: Nah, it's nothing. I'll see you later.

6/12 (reloaded): Wataru's nicknames

• Wataru-chan
  • Wataru-san
  • Boy
  • Kid
  • Wataru-kun
  • Hibiya-kun
  • Hibi-yan
  • Wataru

A little context on "boy" and "kid" - they're both slang terms, obviously, but when they're used in the literal sense, 小僧 can either mean a fledgling monk/priest or a craftsman's apprentice, while 坊主 (bouzu) often to people with buzz cuts or shaved heads because it generically refers to Buddhist priests. We're sticking to Hibiya-kun.

Goonko: Hey, Hibiya-kun!
Wataru: Oh, hi senpai! What's up, dude, you going home too?
Goonko: Wanna walk home?
Wataru: Sure, dude! I'll follow you.

Goonko: Oh yeah, the sports festival's coming up soon, isn't it?
Wataru: It is! I'm already training hard for it, dude!
Goonko: You are? I hope you do well!

6/14: Scavenger hunt race, take 2

Okay, game, you're making this one WAY too easy. I'm not gonna complain, though.

Kazuma: Hey, you need this?
Kazuma: Good luck!

No one else finished within 8 seconds of Goonko. Eeeeeasy.

Kazuma: Whoa, Fudou! You're pretty good to get first place.
Kazuma: Exactly what I expected from you!
Goonko: (Looks like my effort didn't go to waste.)

Goonko: No sports festival would feel right without the traditional folk dance at the end!
Goonko: We should be starting soon.

Goonko: (Oh, my next partner is Suzuka-kun.)
Kazuma: Hey, Fudou.
Kazuma: I'm really not very good at this stuff.
Kazuma: Sorry if I step on your foot or something.

Goonko: (And the next partner is Hibiya-kun. How'd that happen? We're in different grades. Did he get lost or something?)
Wataru: Senpai! Let's dance!

Goonko: (Next up is Shiki-kun.)
Shiki: Oh, I see, you're the next lucky lady.
Goonko: (This should be it, right?)

Goonko: (That's how the sports festival came to an end.)

6/15: More basketball

Goonko: Today's opponent is Konoe High.
Kazuma: Hey, Fudou!
Kazuma: What, are you seriously worried about a team like this?
Kazuma: This'll be a pushover for you!
Goonko: Uh, okay!
Goonko: (Alright, let's play!)

Goonko: (You see that? That's our team's full potential!)
Kazuma: Pretty drat impressive, Fudou.
Kazuma: We kicked their asses too.
Kazuma: It feels good when we both win!

6/28: DANGER DANGER DANGER

Goonko: (The weather's really nice today.)
Goonko: (Huh? I smell roses, for some reason.)

STRANGER DANGER: Roses are red / Violets are blue
STRANGER DANGER: And these are for / The rosy-cheeked you

Sorry, I'll need a second to finish vomiting.

Okay, I'm back.

Goonko: Hey, you're the guy from last time.
STRANGER DANGER: We meet again, young lady.
STRANGER DANGER: Please accept these roses.

Goonko: Thanks! Oh, and, uh, thanks for the favor last time, too!
STRANGER DANGER: Think nothing of it. I should thank you.
STRANGER DANGER: It was a very pleasant drive.
Goonko: Umm, this is a little rude, but who the heck are you?
STRANGER DANGER: Haha, who am I indeed?
STRANGER DANGER: Oh, time's up.
STRANGER DANGER: Unfortunately, I must take my leave.
STRANGER DANGER: We shall meet again.
Goonko: (He's gone... but what's he doing on campus, anyway?)
Goonko: (Could he be a teacher?! No way, that's not possible.)

6/28-6/29: The annual date with Mizuki... and boys, I guess

Mizuki: Bon jour!
Goonko: Hey, Sudou-san.
Mizuki: Fudou-san, you're free this Sunday, aren't you?
Mizuki: Come to the amusement park with me.
Goonko: The amusement park? Why?
Mizuki: I can't believe you.
Mizuki: Why, we're going to rendezvous with boys, of course!
Goonko: I'll go!

It's weird - the last time we did this, it was winter. This time, it's summer. I guess this has the opportunity to happen twice a year, unlike previous Tokimemos.

Mizuki: Then don't be late, okay?
Mizuki: Mizuki absolutely hates it when people are late.
Goonko: (This Sunday... I wonder who's coming?)

Under normal circumstances, Wataru would probably get invited over Shiki due his higher affection for Goonko. However, Mizuki is involved, so this should still be Shiki and Kazuma.

Goonko: (There she is!)
Goonko: Sudou-san!
Mizuki: Fudou-san! You're late!
Mizuki: I specifically told you not to be late!

Sorry, I'll need another second to finish vomiting.

Okay, I'm back.

Shiki: Ah, you're here today, Fudou-kun.
Shiki: Good day, everyone.
Shiki: I hope everyone has fun spending time with me today.

Kazuma: You're late, Fudou.
Goonko: Oh, hi Suzuka-kun.
Kazuma: Welp, this ended up being pretty much the usual crew, but hey, let's have fun.

This pretty much ends up happening the exact same way as chapter 7 so I'll spare you more copying and pasting. Same dialogue, different outfits for the merry-go-round and the roller coaster. There's one new attraction, though! Time to head to the haunted house.

Mizuki: So, Fudou-san, who are you going to enter with? You know the right answer, don't you?
Goonko: Kazuma.

Mizuki: Then Mizuki will go with Shiki-sama!

Kazuma: Ugh. Why does everybody always want to go to this awful thing?

Oh hey, it's that eyeball guy from Gegege no Kitaro!

The goodbyes are the same as before, so nothing more to report until next time, and summer vacation #2.

Next time: CHAOS DUNK

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Oct 7, 2014

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.

Oh, Kazuma, can't you just scream your way through this, too?

Even though I realize it was basically a literal translation, I can't stop cracking up over how you gave us the Stranger's poem.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

What... What kind of look is Shiki going for there?

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Is...is Shiki wearing a loving lace-up dress? I guess it's comfortable enough :v:

Seriously, I get that it's supposed to be a feminine top combined with a pair of matching pants, but holy poo poo those colors blend way too well and it looks like he's wearing a dress. Granted, I'm mildly color blind, so maybe it looks better to the rest of you?

Galick fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Oct 7, 2014

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Galick posted:

Granted, I'm mildly color blind, so maybe it looks better to the rest of you?
No, no it does not.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Galick posted:

Seriously, I get that it's supposed to be a feminine top combined with a pair of matching pants, but holy poo poo those colors blend way too well and it looks like he's wearing a dress. Granted, I'm mildly color blind, so maybe it looks better to the rest of you?

I would normally heartily approve of that sort of thing, but it's Shiki and he's an annoying shithead so meh.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I wasn't aware that male corsets were the in thing now. I'm going to have to change my entire wardrobe.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Bifauxnen posted:

I would normally heartily approve of that sort of thing, but it's Shiki and he's an annoying shithead so meh.

Yeah, I approve of crossdressing or dressing to match your gender, but it's pretty obvious that it's not what he's going for.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

Galick posted:

Is...is Shiki wearing a loving lace-up dress? I guess it's comfortable enough :v:

It looks okay to me, but I have very... anime... taste in male clothing.

And then, I'd still make the pants black for a better j-rock effect. With more buckles.

Striking Yak
Dec 31, 2012

Mizuki, we love you, but we must destroy you.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

vibratingsheep posted:

Mizuki: But... honestly, Mizuki wants to know what everyone else listens to.
Mizuki: Fudou-san, if we ever get the chance, can we sneak somewhere so you can show me the third-rate music you listen to?
Goonko: (I feel kinda sorry for her, but at the same time...)
Seriously this is :3:. Even if things don't work out with mr band-aid face mcdeoderant salesman we'll have made friends with a great girl and that makes it all worth it.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I love the fashion in this game. Is this what the young hip japanese dudes were wearing in the past?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

That loving stache. The loving pedo-stache. Why does that man exist? What did we do to deserve this?

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

What did we do to deserve this?

We kinda forced Sheep to play TM3. So yeah, we deserve it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Galick posted:

We kinda forced Sheep to play TM3. So yeah, we deserve it.

At least there wasn't any pedophillia in that game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

vibratingsheep posted:

I'm still gonna call bullshit on the game for this one. There's no way this Goonko would close her eyes and scream for this.

What I think Goonko actually looks like now, part whatever:

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster

Waffleman_ posted:

What I think Goonko actually looks like now, part whatever:

I heard about this but where is it from?

Also i do know a girl that is like Goonko and yeah i can tell you she scream in the rollercoaster too.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Sramaker posted:

I heard about this but where is it from?
Saint Young Men, a slice of life comedy featuring Jesus and Buddha in modern Japan.

It's surprisingly good!

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Just spotted a Tokimemo reference while watching Carnival Phantasm.

The life of a harem protagonist is fraught with danger.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 8, 2014

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Tarezax posted:

Goddamn it Kohaku, stop pretending to be your sister, Tokimeki already did that plotline. And now I'm wondering which one of them actually feels :geno: about that whole mess.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Ardeem posted:

And now I'm wondering which one of them actually feels :geno: about that whole mess.

Satsuki. Sion may also be an acceptable answer.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Tarezax posted:

The collateral damage when those bombs explode...

Also, Carnival Phantasm is pretty much the funniest thing ever.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Rogue 7 posted:

Yeah, bombing gets more literal when those girls are involved.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Rogue 7 posted:

With the caveat that it is only funny if you are very familiar with Fate/Stay Night and/or Tsukihime.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Waffleman_ posted:

With the caveat that it is only funny if you are very familiar with Fate/Stay Night and/or Tsukihime.

I actually once showed it to a friend of mine who knew nothing about Nasu's games and he thought it was hysterical, but he might be an outlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well, there's a lot of stuff in it that is generally funny, but Type-Moon knowledge is required for full appreciation.

• Locked thread