Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

thexerox123 posted:

Bah, there are so many things in the early episodes that FMA does better than FMAB.

But are the fight scenes ubercool?

Ps. Going to nazi Germany is dumb and made me not want to watch the original series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Sithsaber posted:

But are the fight scenes ubercool?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

gently caress, I need to rewatch Brotherhood

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Sithsaber posted:

The final movie hasn't come out yet. Should I go back and watch the anime or should I avoid it and rely on the superior reboot? (I only saw one episode of FMA before I binge watched FMAB) Is it true that the old movies already retconned the first ending? Can I watch things out of order and rely on dbz boom-pow/ oooh_aaaah retard continuity?
Watch the first two reboot movies and ignore everything that comes after

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Sithsaber posted:

The final movie hasn't come out yet. Should I go back and watch the anime or should I avoid it and rely on the superior reboot? (I only saw one episode of FMA before I binge watched FMAB) Is it true that the old movies already retconned the first ending? Can I watch things out of order and rely on dbz boom-pow/ oooh_aaaah retard continuity?

I'm probably the wrong person to ask, seeing as I haven't seen any of it in years. The original ending was cobbled together after Gainax realized they didn't have enough money to do the ending Anno wanted, so the original movies were Anno going back and redoing the ending the way he wanted. I remember preferring the original series to the new movies for nostalgic reasons and because I didn't particularly care for the new pilot they introduced but I think the new movies are probably less intimidating for someone unfamiliar with the franchise.

And are you sure about the last movie? I seem to remember my brother excitedly watching the Japanese version but like I said, I'm not exactly an authority.

Ugh, why isn't it Friday yet?

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Sato posted:

I'm probably the wrong person to ask, seeing as I haven't seen any of it in years. The original ending was cobbled together after Gainax realized they didn't have enough money to do the ending Anno wanted, so the original movies were Anno going back and redoing the ending the way he wanted. I remember preferring the original series to the new movies for nostalgic reasons and because I didn't particularly care for the new pilot they introduced but I think the new movies are probably less intimidating for someone unfamiliar with the franchise.

And are you sure about the last movie? I seem to remember my brother excitedly watching the Japanese version but like I said, I'm not exactly an authority.

Ugh, why isn't it Friday yet?

It's a tetrology. Seeing as I've only seen the 2nd and third movies, should I go back and watch the first six episodes so I can get invested in the main character and his loss or should I just watch reboot #1? The wiki said that some thought the movies lack character depth but then again I'm not interested in watching a kid be plucked out of his high school harem.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
I'd say the reboot. IIRC they didn't really make any significant changes and the animation is much better. Besides, it's shorter so the less exposure to Shinji whining the better.

Of course, I didn't even know it was a tetrology so :shrug:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

It really is the Catcher in the Rye of anime

Except instead of the creator loving off into the woods and being a recluse, he just kept on being a gigantic turbonerd.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Hey did they ever find out what was in the loving basement in Attack on Titan? I'm way behind on the plot.

this is now the anime thread

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

what have i done

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Well, at least the quality of the thread will match the quality of the show again, if the opener is anything to go by.

That sucked, the 3 year time-skip just feels weak. I like how Kuvira's shaping up as an antagonist (with a neat fight scene that showed off some cool stuff), and that exchange between Mako and Lin was great, but some of the dialog this episode and the loving squirrel suits made me cringe a little. The redesigns of the main characters are all really lame (Korra's is the worst of all), and I love how Korra just up and abandoned everyone around her, as if she hadn't backpedaled on the developments her character had had enough already.

E: This just feels like fanfiction at this point, break out the Varrick Iron-Man suit I know you guys are wanting to do Bryke, let's bring this on home.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

MrAristocrates posted:

what have i done

quote:

anime reference in the title
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubw5N8iVDHI

codeorange
Jul 11, 2012

ApeHawk posted:

In what world is Asami not Mako?

Because that is a false world.

Asami is Gamagori, since she doesn't end up with Mako. Mako is Mako obviously.

i hate meatloaf
May 23, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Well, at least the quality of the thread will match the quality of the show again, if the opener is anything to go by.

That sucked, the 3 year time-skip just feels weak. I like how Kuvira's shaping up as an antagonist (with a neat fight scene that showed off some cool stuff), and that exchange between Mako and Lin was great, but some of the dialog this episode and the loving squirrel suits made me cringe a little. The redesigns of the main characters are all really lame (Korra's is the worst of all), and I love how Korra just up and abandoned everyone around her, as if she hadn't backpedaled on the developments her character had had enough already.

E: This just feels like fanfiction at this point, break out the Varrick Iron-Man suit I know you guys are wanting to do Bryke, let's bring this on home.

You are seriously the first person I've seen complain about Korra's character arc here. Like drat, dude, she's got PSTD and is still way weaker physically than she's ever been. Her character arc from the last half of book 2 on to here was fantastic. So much of the internet is hung up on her "regression" in the first few eps of book 2 while completely ignoring how she developed through the next book and a half.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

i hate meatloaf posted:

You are seriously the first person I've seen complain about Korra's character arc here. Like drat, dude, she's got PSTD and is still way weaker physically than she's ever been. Her character arc from the last half of book 2 on to here was fantastic. So much of the internet is hung up on her "regression" in the first few eps of book 2 while completely ignoring how she developed through the next book and a half.

This arc might be great, but then again anything is better than amnesia.

i hate meatloaf
May 23, 2010

Sithsaber posted:

This arc might be great, but then again anything is better than amnesia.

Eh. She had amnesia for like two episodes as a framing device for the story of the first avatar (the best eps of book 2); it's seriously like 5 minutes worth of screentime. The first two books have plenty of problems, but the internet overblows so much stuff.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Character development isn't strictly a linear line upward on the "happy and well-adjusted" scale.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

E: This just feels like fanfiction at this point

You only started feeling that way now?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

You only started feeling that way now?

There were small moments where I felt like that, but not to the degree I felt while watching this episode.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Sato posted:

I wonder why Pabu had to stay behind? He's not exactly hard to transport like Naga.
Well, Bolin did join the army. He probably thought that it was too dangerous for Pabu to come with him.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

X_Toad posted:

Well, Bolin did join the army. He probably thought that it was too dangerous for Pabu to come with him.

Or maybe the army frowns upon people bringing pets with them. Like most armies.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

achillesforever6 posted:

It really is the Catcher in the Rye of anime

What's it like to be this dumb?

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
It's also insanely cool that goons think Catcher and the Rye is supposed to present the Holden Caufield's sentiments as legitimate and completely valid rather than being a commentary on the character and the point in all our lives when we might feel this kind of shiftless idealism lmao.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh god don't tell me people actually like Catcher in the Rye.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
You should respect its place in the american literary canon and not be a dumbass because you were forced to read it in highschool and then decided you were clever as all hell for figuring out that Holden Caufield is misguided and naive

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Sithsaber posted:

It's a tetrology. Seeing as I've only seen the 2nd and third movies, should I go back and watch the first six episodes so I can get invested in the main character and his loss or should I just watch reboot #1? The wiki said that some thought the movies lack character depth but then again I'm not interested in watching a kid be plucked out of his high school harem.

Watch the whole series, it's awesome and very different from the movies. And then watch End of Evangelion because only then can you truly understand whats going on with everything ever.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Pabu is a conscientious objector.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Alright, I think I'm gonna have to stay out of this thread until the show is over because I can't handle the stupidity of someone criticizing an incomplete for things it hasn't even not-done yet.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
My problem with amnesia is that it added to romantic tension when it didn't have to. There could have also been a explanation of how she ended up on the island.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008
A good first episode, I liked the drums leading into Kuvira's battle, it was a nice touch.

The bandits taking the food off the bison was kind of dumb, espcially since Opal did nothing, and air benders losing a mid air fight was like a slap in the face, how incompetent are these kids?

Kuvira is definitely the next Chin the Conquereror, which I think works because of the cyclical nature of AvatarWorld's history, she may even be him reincarnated.

And seconding the need for some Kitara badassery, it was a massive missed opportunity not having her show mad skillz and tear apart any of the enemies who've come after her grandkids, but hopefully they do something like that this time around.

e: also show don't tell, saying the air nation is stretched thin is really weak compared to showing how busy they are, like someone else said, a scene showing a stressed air bending master in some sort of central command would have been great.

Aggressive pricing fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 5, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Aggressive pricing posted:

e: also show don't tell, saying the air nation is stretched thin is really weak compared to showing how busy they are, like someone else said, a scene showing a stressed air bending master in some sort of central command would have been great.

And what would you take out to show this scene?

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

computer parts posted:

Hard to say because I don't know what will pay off later, but something more would have been nice. It also could have explained why Opal and Kai were so useless, by giving the impression they were absolutely exhausted from running around the world getting cats out trees or whatever they do these days.

e: even a bit more with the animation could have done it, shadows under the eyes, worn clothing, little things

Aggressive pricing fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 5, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hard to say because I don't know what will pay off later, but something more would have been nice. It also could have explained why Opal and Kai were so useless, by giving the impression they were absolutely exhausted from running around the world getting cats out trees or whatever they do these days.

They weren't useless though? Everything went according to plan except for being hit by a well funded bandit that may (read: will) be funded by Lady Hitler.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

computer parts posted:

They weren't useless though? Everything went according to plan except for being hit by a well funded bandit that may (read: will) be funded by Lady Hitler.

They were pretty useless, they stopped three guys, lost the food off the bison, and delivered the contract to Kuvira. The only purpose they really served was to show how hopeless the Earth State's situation was. There was nothing they could have done to help, even if they had delivered the supplies, they would have been stolen.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

They were pretty useless, they stopped three guys, lost the food off the bison, and delivered the contract to Kuvira. The only purpose they really served was to show how hopeless the Earth State's situation was.

Were you one of the people bitching about how Zuko didn't immediately stop the bad guys last season?

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

computer parts posted:

Were you one of the people bitching about how Zuko didn't immediately stop the bad guys last season?

Nope, but I did think it was retarded they put those guys in ridiculous prisons instead of just killing them. Why devote a huge amount of resources to keep people alive in the least humane conditions imaginable? Killing them would have been mercy compared to those cells.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

computer parts posted:

I'll say it again, they could have just shown tenzin walk out of a busy command hub, (radio 2.0) take a deep breath andthen sit down for his fancy party. That scene would have taken 15 seconds at most and would have done more for the show than the expository romance dump.

Ps. Cartoon morality.

Sithsaber fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 5, 2014

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Nope, but I did think it was retarded they put those guys in ridiculous prisons instead of just killing them. Why devote a huge amount of resources to keep people alive in the least humane conditions imaginable? Killing them would have been mercy compared to those cells.

Yet if they'd actually executed the lot of them, we would've missed out on the season that revitalized the show.

And aside from not allowing the heroes to actually kill a guy in cold blood, they had a reason: they had no idea why the hell Zaheer and friends tried kidnapping Korra. All those years of sticking them in prison was trying to get them to break and reveal what their cause was.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I just watched the first episode of Season 4 today, and in general, I feel like this season is competent but less... textured. There's not as much attention to detail, not nearly as many little things that you might miss on the first go-through that hint as to the bigger picture. Not showing the Squirrelbenders as tired and ragged is just one example. This feels like they're repeating some of the mistakes of AtLA Season 1 all over again. There's nothing to pay attention to aside from the direct plot on the screen, and that bothers me, because it gives me the impression that they don't know where they're going with the season. I really hope I'm wrong, but I'm just getting the impression that the producers simply haven't grokked their own story.

TL;DR ATLA Season 2 and 3 were really good at least partially because of the Iceberg Theory. It feels like they've forgotten that.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Why devote a huge amount of resources to keep people alive in the least humane conditions imaginable?

Probably for the same reasons that many countries/societies in the real world don't practice capital punishment?

• Locked thread