Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

toanoradian posted:

Why don't you then whip up the Atheist's holy book (Charles Darwin's "Evolution Rules, God Drools") and read to him the parable about the marine and the bear in Albert Einstein's classroom? You need to go the whole hog, man.

I thought the marine was Albert Einstein? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Verisimilidude posted:

This was posted on FB, and based on the comments on the Facebook article itself and that my friends are giving, it seems like a lot of "liberals" really hate Muslims. http://thinkprogress.org/world/2014/10/04/3576082/batman-stands-up-for-muslims/

There's a whole contingent of atheists who sound like they'd love to be Republicans if it weren't for the whole Jesus vibe. Harris, Dawkins & Hitchens are/were terrible about women and brown people.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

toanoradian posted:

Why don't you then whip up the Atheist's holy book (Charles Darwin's "Evolution Rules, God Drools") and read to him the parable about the marine and the bear in Albert Einstein's classroom? You need to go the whole hog, man.
Darwinism? Are you loving kidding me?? He stole it all and O BTW where is the missing link? I didn't evolve from a goddamn monkey you loving idiot. THERE IS NO FOSSIL RECORD AND THE EARTH MAY NOT BE YOUNG BUT YOU ARE STUPID IF YOU BELIEVE EVOLTION YOU loving LIB.

loving LIBS!!!

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Dr. Faustus posted:

I then go the extra mile and say, "Do you eat shellfish? Do you agree with the Bible as the literal word of GOD handed down to man when this is in your holy book? Doesn't it make you feel silly? Can't you see how using the text is not fair to you so it's not fair to Islam, either?"

Answer: Ummm. Duhhhh. It's different, you loving atheist. Don't use my holy book against me if you don't loving believe in it, fag.

Christianity.txt.
Well. The actual Christian answer would be that keeping kosher is no longer necessary, because Christ brought a new covenant between God and man. Mark 7:17-23 fairly explicitly does away with the dietary restrictions of the old testament:

quote:

17 After he had left the crowd and entered the house, his disciples asked him about this parable. 18 “Are you so dull?” he asked. “Don’t you see that nothing that enters a person from the outside can defile them? 19 For it doesn’t go into their heart but into their stomach, and then out of the body.” (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods clean.)

20 He went on: “What comes out of a person is what defiles them. 21 For it is from within, out of a person’s heart, that evil thoughts come—sexual immorality, theft, murder, 22 adultery, greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly. 23 All these evils come from inside and defile a person.”

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Is it okay to eat someone else's turds then? I need an answer quick; tia, father.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
Got some new good ones from the crazy libertarian guy on my facebook.

Which had the following comments (Jen Youfelct is the same person as Doug Lee Duckling):

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

I'm not an economist, but in the end aren't these scenarios effectively identical apart from the one guy who gets to lord over everyone else?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Goatman Sacks posted:

I like to refer to those types of folks as "New York liberals". The type of person that everyone knows that holds austensibly progressive ideals about tax rates and stuff, but when it comes to racial effects, they defer to a bunch of bullshit bigoted truisms.

I'm a liberal from New York, as are most of my friends, and I haven't met a single person like what you're describing so go gently caress yourself, thanks.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Dark One posted:

There's a whole contingent of atheists who sound like they'd love to be Republicans if it weren't for the whole Jesus vibe. Harris, Dawkins & Hitchens are/were terrible about women and brown people.

Dawkins loves abortion. Like, to the point he says that kids with Downs Syndrome should always be aborted.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Fulchrum posted:

Dawkins loves abortion. Like, to the point he says that kids with Downs Syndrome should always be aborted.

What does that have to do with anything? That post and conversation didn't mention abortion, and there's a lot more to being pro-women than being in favor of abortion. In nearly every other respect, Dawkins is horrible about feminist issues.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Idran posted:

What does that have to do with anything? That post and conversation didn't mention abortion, and there's a lot more to being pro-women than being in favor of abortion. In nearly every other respect, Dawkins is horrible about feminist issues.

The claim was that if you remove Jesus, Dawkins would join conservatism, and I was pointing out he has some other points that would prevent that.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Strudel Man posted:

Well. The actual Christian answer would be that keeping kosher is no longer necessary, because Christ brought a new covenant between God and man. Mark 7:17-23 fairly explicitly does away with the dietary restrictions of the old testament:

And in Matthew 5:17-20 he explicitly says he did not come to change the law, and that failing to follow the law or teaching others not to is bad.

It's almost as if religious texts are filled with contradictory statements that allow people to interpret things however the hell they want; the Bible is full of commands to do violence and it has been used plenty as a justification for violence by some Christians, just as it has been used for the opposite by others. Finding similar passages in the Koran is neither surprising nor can it meaningfully be used to stereotype all Muslims.

Dr. Faustus' point was pretty clear.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Maybe Jesus just finds shellfish mad delicious. As a Son of God his palate must have been quite refined, despite his poverty.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

The Dark One posted:

Oh, there's a whole contingent of atheists who're going straight into nerd-conservative-libertarian-MRA-shitlord territory. Some of the more progressive/feminist Internet Atheists are trying to start a thing called "atheism plus," which in turn led to dumb flamewar poo poo from guys like Thunderf00t and The Amazing Atheist from the MRA wing of atheism.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Your friend is a libertarian, but he wants the government spending MAH TAX DOLLARS on 10 Commandments sculptures and nativity scenes?

Sounds like a statist thief who doesn't trust the free market to provide the religious symbols demanded by a free people. Why doesn't he want Christianity to compete on a level playing field?

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Kit Walker posted:

I'm a liberal from New York, as are most of my friends, and I haven't met a single person like what you're describing so go gently caress yourself, thanks.

Counterpoint: my liberal New Yorker family. So like, it's not a personal insult, just listen for the dog whistles. Or ask a New York Jew about Palestinians and see what you get.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Choadmaster posted:

Dr. Faustus' point was pretty clear.
Thank you for the clarification.

Please note, for the record everyone, I didn't even touch the sexuality material. I didn't think it was necessary.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

TerminalSaint posted:

I'm not an economist, but in the end aren't these scenarios effectively identical apart from the one guy who gets to lord over everyone else?

I think so because the real value of the money should be close in both situations; it's just a lovely false dilemma where he proposes two situations hand-crafted to "prove" his own belief that he thinks income inequality drives wages up. Because free market you see.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
"What makes Hugo Black better than Antontin Scalia"

Basically Scalia's slow descent into madness since Lawrence v Texas and Romer v. Evans, the fact unlike Thomas he's only an originalist shill when it suits a conservative outcome(last year's super hypocritical :ironicat: logic between the DOMA and VRA rulings which came out on back to back days comes to mind) and he's reached the point where he gets his own rulings wrong in an effort to try to make a new ruling(namely his recent EPA dissent where one of the references for his position was a ruling he did some years back..........except he had written a ruling in that previous case that was the opposite of what he was claiming.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Defenestration posted:

Counterpoint: my liberal New Yorker family. So like, it's not a personal insult, just listen for the dog whistles. Or ask a New York Jew about Palestinians and see what you get.

I'm from New York, and while most of my friends (who are liberal) share my points of view, many others (liberal or not) condemn Islam for one reason or another (I get the feeling it's the "logical" and "common sense" approach, because they're cuttin' off are heads!). As for the Palestine thing, you're absolutely right. Most people/organizations I know that are actively pro-Palestine are smaller, usually student led groups. Meanwhile there are literal "stand with Israel!" billboards popping up around Manhattan, some of which are trying to "stop the anti-Israeli bias in American society!" :rolleyes:

Let's not forget that the New York MTA ran a series of ads by Pamela Geller about how Islam is essentially barbarism and how the refined, cultured, practically Elven Jew needs to stand firm. It's also the same city that had a poo poo storm when a "mosque" (read: Islamic cultural center) had the audacity to consider opening up a little over a mile away from ground zero! It's totally just like when the Muslims took over Spain and furthermore *vomits*.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
"The Elven Jew" is perhaps the strangest concept this board has ever introduced me to. Thank you.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Mo_Steel posted:

I think so because the real value of the money should be close in both situations; it's just a lovely false dilemma where he proposes two situations hand-crafted to "prove" his own belief that he thinks income inequality drives wages up. Because free market you see.

Yeah, the $5k example is an early 1900s American small town while the $200k/outlier split is an upper-tier Zimbabwe suburb. If that guy had a solid grasp of economics, he'd work with actual numbers and policy instead of platitudes and pretending Obama is stopping everyone from being a 1%er.

The dollar values are pointless, especially when you compare those hypotheticals to actual IRL inequality: http://www2.ucsc.edu/whorulesamerica/power/wealth.html

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Defenestration posted:

Some of the most outspoken critics of Israel I know are Jews. Like, I know that the type of people you're talking about exist, but in my experience the only people I've met in NYC who are dogwhistle racists have either been libertarians, cops, or conservatives. Like, this is a pretty blunt city. The social circles I move in are pretty progressive and that includes the subject of race. So, hey, gently caress you too for implying that there's something about New York liberals that makes us lovely about race. I get it, though. The city has a reputation for being pretty liberal and I guess that a lot of people forget that the upper crust here is pretty conservative. Just don't think that their views are indicative of what the actual liberals here think.

Kit Walker fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 5, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
From a while back but.

Fulchrum posted:

Actually, there are only two CEO's alive today who were ever actually nowhere-to-go, sleep-on-the-street homeless - Joe Roberts and Oprah. People talk about Steve Jobs (crashed with friends), John Paul Dejoria (had a car), and Howard Schultz (lived in government housing), and insist that they were homeless.

Couch surfing and living in a car both count as homelessness. Is it better to have a car or a friend's couch? Of course, just like it's better to have a belt holding up your pants instead of a length of rope. That doesn't mean you're "not homeless" unless your pants are held up by rope.

As far as government housing goes, I don't know Schultz's specific situation. A lot of people in subsidized housing struggle with homelessness during transitions.

All those guys can gently caress off but let's not redefine homelessness to do it.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Discendo Vox posted:

"The Elven Jew" is perhaps the strangest concept this board has ever introduced me to. Thank you.

I've been playing Shadows of Mordor so the barbaric Muslim Orcs/fey Elven Jews idea is floating around my head. It works especially well when you consider how Israelis are being played up to be this dying race/culture being beaten back by the unwashed Islamic horde.

Kit Walker posted:

Some of the most outspoken critics of Israel I know are Jews. Like, I know that the type of people you're talking about exist, but in my experience the only people I've met in NYC who are dogwhistle racists have either been libertarians, cops, or conservatives. Like, this is a pretty blunt city. The social circles I move in are pretty progressive and that includes the subject of race. So, hey, gently caress you too for implying that there's something about New York liberals that makes us lovely about race. I get it, though. The city has a reputation for being pretty liberal and I guess that a lot of people forget that the upper crust here is pretty conservative. Just don't think that their views are indicative of what the actual liberals here think.

I dunno dude. My family is mostly middle-class Puerto Ricans who are pretty democrat/far left/progressive, but some of them when it comes to issues of race can trend towards regressive/bigoted policies. There are people I know in that same economic status who consider themselves "classic liberals", as opposed to progressives, who are all basically for liberal economic policies but also don't want [borderline racist poo poo that will probably never happen] in their neighborhood.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 5, 2014

Chelovek-Govno
Aug 11, 2014

Zamorozhenaia Zhopa
There has been a very obvious grammar mistake in the title of this thread for more than five years now.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
Are you suggesting the OP should correct it?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Chelovek-Govno posted:

There has been a very obvious grammar mistake in the title of this thread for more than five years now.

Only mods or admins can change thread titles and it's not really all that important.

I'm not sure why you thought this was a meaningful point with which to enter into this thread for your first time though.

zeroprime posted:

Are you suggesting the OP should correct it?

In fairness he registered about two months ago and may not know that the OP is one of the four Americans killed in Benghazi on September 11, 2012.

e: vvv Ah, that's just scummy then. Good to know.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 5, 2014

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
He's a rereg. He knows what he's doing.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
Everybody complains. Nobody talks about how wonderful for America the Koch brothers really are!

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/10/183154-11-things-one-ever-takes-time-point-koch-brothers/

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Haha oh man, I was wondering how that conservative Upworthy knockoff could outdo itself, but Jesus Christ that's even worse than their "Freshman shames Ivy League college over white privilege" article where some douche was fellating Tal Fortgang for his "Why I'll never apologize for my white privilege" article in the Princeton Tory and TIME.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Discendo Vox posted:

It is strange, as the dwarf is a much greater Jew parallel, including, but not limited to, their penchant for sweeping arches, doors that speak in riddles, and cities build on top of crevices through which Great Demons emerge

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

muike posted:

It is strange, as the dwarf is a much greater Jew parallel, including, but not limited to, their penchant for sweeping arches, doors that speak in riddles, and cities build on top of crevices through which Great Demons emerge

Jews are well known for diving too deep in their greed and unleashing all sorts of fun from the dark places beneath the earth.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

muike posted:

Arrrgh. Arrgh, this hurts. It's like a game of antisemitic chicken.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Verisimilidude posted:

I've been playing Shadows of Mordor so the barbaric Muslim Orcs/fey Elven Jews idea is floating around my head. It works especially well when you consider how Israelis are being played up to be this dying race/culture being beaten back by the unwashed Islamic horde.

Except the Elves in LOTR are dying out naturally and even then it's not really 'dying out' so much as 'accepting the end of their age and moving on to heaven'. Also while the Orcs are evil, yes, they're also twisted and corrupted Elves at their core, forced into such evil by Sauron rather than being truly inherently evil. In the end of LOTR there are no more Orcs and the elves go off into heaven in peace, the whole point is the war was entirely because of an outside evil.

muike posted:

Tolkien literally said he did Dwarves as a 'tribute' to Jews or some such, Hebrew was a base for their language, their features are super Jewy, the Dwarfs in his book were Jews straight up. Of course for some reason he thought that adding in 'strong warriors' to 'greedy assholes who destroy themselves in their quest for more gold' somehow negated the implications there, but hey for his time he gets a gold star for making any race of Not-Jews a noble heroic one.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Also while the Orcs are evil, yes, they're also twisted and corrupted Elves at their core, forced into such evil by Sauron rather than being truly inherently evil.
There's more than a few people who believe that Muslims are twisted and corrupted Judeo-Christians at their core, forced into such evil by Muhammad (or sometimes even the Pope) rather than being truly inherently evil. It's the Jack Chick school of Islamophobia.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
To be fair moral arguments are a lot easier when there are multiple provable supernatural entities that are demonstrably evil. External objective sources of good and evil simplify a lot of things which is probably why we like to pretend they exist.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

:goonsay: modern racial tensions could all be resolved if you guys would just read The Silmarillion.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Discendo Vox posted:

Dwarves, like Jews, are also well renowned for their incredible masonry skills, often attributed to literal stone running through their blood. Modern science attributes this to a high-iron diet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYY82Am-qD8