Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Eugen wisely has kept the secret unit secret so far. I'm hoping for an S-300, but a RD heavy tank seems to also be a popular vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
An S-300 would be terribly boring, I'd rather have something pretty given to Red Dragons, since they have the jankiest faction.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Dandywalken posted:

Eugen wisely has kept the secret unit secret so far. I'm hoping for an S-300, but a RD heavy tank seems to also be a popular vote.

30 armor all around and that Shtora anti-missile system.

sgnl05
Jan 16, 2007
Lurker

RoyalScion posted:

An S-300 would be terribly boring, I'd rather have something pretty given to Red Dragons, since they have the jankiest faction.

I reckon China is about 1 HJ-8 ATGM team away from being a really nice, well rounded faction.

Doubt they'll get it though.

EDIT: Just had a look on the forums, apparently Madmat objected to it ages ago on the grounds that the man portable variant wasn't developed until later.

sgnl05 fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Oct 5, 2014

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

sgnl05 posted:

I reckon China is about 1 HJ-8 ATGM team away from being a really nice, well rounded faction.

Doubt they'll get it though.

EDIT: Just had a look on the forums, apparently Madmat objected to it ages ago on the grounds that the man portable variant wasn't developed until later.

Is the AGS-17 even remotely portable or is this another one of those "this rule applies to this but not that" situation?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Danann posted:

Is the AGS-17 even remotely portable or is this another one of those "this rule applies to this but not that" situation?

Yeah, the AGS-17 is. The US Mk.19 isnt due to its heavy-assed tripod assembly that it requires I think.

Or maybe Im thinking of the AGS-30... either way, the REDFOR def have one. Though it'd have been a more interesting option to give the Red dragons given their use of AGL's, IMO.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Of everything they object about, their rules for ATGMs is absolutely the worst. The Javelin, Kornet, TOW, Trigat MR/PARS and HJ-8 all have different reasons for not being acceptable, yet they dove right into the MILAN F3 and gave the Super Dragon that fake range boost (I like to pretend my thread/suggestion to Graphic had a hand in that, but yeah right).

It's best to just avoid that whole topic at this point, especially around Madmat.

RangerPL
Jul 23, 2014
irt MadMat and grenade launchers, is that BTR-90 rerole happening? (replacing the konkurs with an AGS, moving back to transports) He seemed pretty on favor of it and it would be pretty cool to have an AC/AGS transport in motorized decks.

I'm assuming it might, considering MM's well-known motorized fetish.

sgnl05
Jan 16, 2007
Lurker
Here's something strange I just found: I was watching a replay from the alb-replays site of a guy playing a Canadian airborne deck. I wanted to know what his deck looked like and what you could even get for Canadian airborne so I opened the replay file and grabbed his deck code out of it.

JrAxw5MDhyYHDkwLPJgWeTAmDmFEnMKz2YSHMwtotZbRayxE1kzGZjIVkKzEpiUxIZiMxKqFVCqlVSbBNdmu1XJrpV4q8NemvQ==

Somehow he's managed to take 4 cards of units in one of the Canadian transport choppers when the maximum number of cards for that chopper is 3. The game even says -1/3 in the bit where it lists transport availability but allows it anyway. When I delete one of the units using that transport and try to add it back again the game won't let me. I want to know how the hell he managed to do it so I too can create decks that don't play by the rules.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Why are they adding the Lansen now when it made more sense to add it in ALB? Why doesn't Sweden get a non-lovely bomber?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

RangerPL posted:

irt MadMat and grenade launchers, is that BTR-90 rerole happening? (replacing the konkurs with an AGS, moving back to transports) He seemed pretty on favor of it and it would be pretty cool to have an AC/AGS transport in motorized decks.

I'm assuming it might, considering MM's well-known motorized fetish.

Its happening, yes. I think at least?

I know its going to transport.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

sgnl05 posted:

Here's something strange I just found: I was watching a replay from the alb-replays site of a guy playing a Canadian airborne deck. I wanted to know what his deck looked like and what you could even get for Canadian airborne so I opened the replay file and grabbed his deck code out of it.

JrAxw5MDhyYHDkwLPJgWeTAmDmFEnMKz2YSHMwtotZbRayxE1kzGZjIVkKzEpiUxIZiMxKqFVCqlVSbBNdmu1XJrpV4q8NemvQ==

Somehow he's managed to take 4 cards of units in one of the Canadian transport choppers when the maximum number of cards for that chopper is 3. The game even says -1/3 in the bit where it lists transport availability but allows it anyway. When I delete one of the units using that transport and try to add it back again the game won't let me. I want to know how the hell he managed to do it so I too can create decks that don't play by the rules.

To give a perhaps plausible explanation outside of some form of cheating, what happens to decks that were valid when created, but would no longer be valid after some patch nerfing units within it?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Minenfeld! posted:

Why are they adding the Lansen now when it made more sense to add it in ALB? Why doesn't Sweden get a non-lovely bomber?

We never had any historically. Closest thing is a Viggen with 16x 120 kg bombs. The Swedish air force didn't really do CAS, since it was much more cost-efficient to use an ASM to sink a transport carrying a tank company than to try using dozens of bombs or missiles to destroy the tanks once they landed. It's really hard to do CAS without air superiority anyway, and we really couldn't count on having air superiority.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Minenfeld! posted:

The mjolnirs loving own :colbert:.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

TheFluff posted:

We never had any historically. Closest thing is a Viggen with 16x 120 kg bombs. The Swedish air force didn't really do CAS, since it was much more cost-efficient to use an ASM to sink a transport carrying a tank company than to try using dozens of bombs or missiles to destroy the tanks once they landed. It's really hard to do CAS without air superiority anyway, and we really couldn't count on having air superiority.

Swedes should add loving incredible ASMs to BLUFOR in the patch in "exchange" for Pact getting... something. Is pact set to get anything at all from this one?

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

TheFluff posted:

I've always wanted there to be 4-5 Viggen loadouts. Based on what I know of Swedish defense planning, I had anticipated there being some sort of Viggen with an ASM in Red Dragon once the Scandi DLC hit, but the leaked list put an end to my hopes there. I'm fairly sad about that. I absolutely love Saab's aircraft.

Plan Z posted:

The mjolnirs loving own.

They do. I love having a cluster bomber that can a) actually hurt the things it drops bombs on and b) get in and out while having a good chance of escape do to speed and ecm. I was referring more or less to Sweden lacking a Viggen with HE bombs.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Isn't that what Norway's F-16s are for? I know having one country have everything it needs would be nice, but giving Sweden all the neato toys would kind of invalidate the need for a Scandinavian coalition.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
It would be better if you picked your planes loadout each sortie so you could balance plane weapons around speed of installation or whatever

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Eugen can't get the balance right when the planes are locked into one loadout. I have zero faith in their ability to balance multiple loadouts. Anyway, when you buy the plane (both in AP and points terms) you're mostly paying for the bombs/missiles.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Minenfeld! posted:

They do. I love having a cluster bomber that can a) actually hurt the things it drops bombs on and b) get in and out while having a good chance of escape do to speed and ecm. I was referring more or less to Sweden lacking a Viggen with HE bombs.

I know. I liked Sweden as an exclusive deck in ALB, but it's fairly obvious they want us to run Scandinavia as the most potent alternative this time around. Besides, RBS 56 mounted on vehicles, and Slamraams, and 76mm AA mmmmmmmm.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Dandywalken, can you please confirm that these new dumb leaks about the strv 2000 are bullshit, tia

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

TheFluff posted:

Dandywalken, can you please confirm that these new dumb leaks about the strv 2000 are bullshit, tia

That its ingame?

If so, yeah I'll outright say thats bullshit. There is no Strv 2000 ingame to the very best of my knowledge.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

That its ingame?

If so, yeah I'll outright say thats bullshit. There is no Strv 2000 ingame to the very best of my knowledge.

:catdrugs:

We haven't had a good ridiculous unit in a while.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 7, 2014

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Danann posted:

Soviet infantry reportedly lugged them around the mountains in Afghanistan. Took 3-5 guys to properly transport the weapon and enough ammo, but they seem to have liked its effects well enough to carry it up the hills anyway.

The difference in weight to the Mk.19 is pretty stark; the AGS-17 with tripod included weighs about two pounds more than the Mk 19 without its tripod. And due to the AGS_17 using smaller 30mm grenades, the ammo is also lighter.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Well according to a MadMatt post the new non-scandi unit is definitely not the S300, but is a new model.

Something for Red Dragons maybe?

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Something for Red Dragons would be great. I'd like a complete revamp of the Norks though. They're like a D list DDR from ALB.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Planned patch log, thanks RangerPL: http://pastebin.com/D422cUq5

RangerPL posted:

In Summary:

Patriot is being made a prototype, which means only one card.
Tanks with 100/105/115mm guns are getting AP buffs
No fix for the ATGM bug because the developers are too lazy to come up with some other way to balance them
MG fix has been paid lip service to, but nothing concrete has been put together yet
BTR-90 loses its ATGM and goes back to infantry - It's going to be a WAPC on steroids, or an amphibious BMPT without the armor and 100mm gun

Things confirmed to be not happening:
Buffs to Delta Force/America getting army shock troops. MadMat, Eugen's "librarian" believes that US having lovely infantry is national flavor and that beliefs to the contrary are the result of Hollywood misconceptions
Patriot getting a stat nerf. That would be tantamount to Eugen admitting they screwed something up.
Buffing REDFOR SAMs to the Patriot standard as has been proposed. Nope - it's better to just leave one faction with a hideously OP unit!

Also: Infantry AT weapons going from 525m to 700m; chinese tanks are upgunned (19AP for their 80pt tank, 22AP for their 125pt tank).

Upgunning the late-era 'medium' tanks is a good idea IMO; they have bad armor so this will allow them to slot into the role of gun tank destroyers essentially.

OctaMurk fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 11, 2014

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
Anyone got an example of a good West German deck? Or a Euroforce one.

Also, if any goons want to add me I'm Saki ingame. And I am terrible.

Saki fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 11, 2014

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

OctaMurk posted:

Planned patch log, thanks RangerPL: http://pastebin.com/D422cUq5

Also: Infantry AT weapons going from 525m to 700m; chinese tanks are upgunned (19AP for their 80pt tank, 22AP for their 125pt tank).

Upgunning the late-era 'medium' tanks is a good idea IMO; they have bad armor so this will allow them to slot into the role of gun tank destroyers essentially.

madmat is a loving retard and should have been fired a long time ago

sorry, ARE TROOPS, US paratroopers are no better than soviet conscripts

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I'd be curious why he holds that opinion in the first place, since he seems to tout it as fact with that "Hollywood" defense when it sounds completely unsubstantiated in any real sense. Even besides that opinion, that national flavor concept has dissolved entirely with coalitions, so it's just dumb in every way.

That kind of idiotic mindset does explain a large portion of their more illogical decisions though.

Side note: If AP jumps up over 18 for the 70+ point tanks, you're pretty close to a prominent tank meta. That's where you start to 1 shot AV 2 and AP climbs over 20 in only 500m.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 12, 2014

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Mazz posted:

That kind of idiotic mindset does explain a large portion of their more illogical decisions though.

Idiotic mindsets is MadMat's stock and trade. Once he takes an idea as his he won't back down or listen to the contrary.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Justin Tyme posted:

madmat is a loving retard and should have been fired a long time ago

sorry, ARE TROOPS, US paratroopers are no better than soviet conscripts

Well they're certainly nothing compared to the many, mighty fighting men of France :france:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Saki posted:

Anyone got an example of a good West German deck? Or a Euroforce one.

Also, if any goons want to add me I'm Saki ingame. And I am terrible.

Missed this post initially, but here's my FRG general use deck that is also probably my favorite (or should I say was, it's been a few weeks since I played with moving and such)

Import: HvAgtbNrzKbWQzDMhptTPJGmeYpM9sRI98EJpYEsCmQLBEjUeiPUnyjuVHFV1Lil43AsRGJKPDZguk62dcRZmjURyQR28jyA

I'll give you a rundown for the categories so you see my choices, and maybe help you figure out more about building decks.

LOG: CV infantry in a helo are great for general use, helos move in straight lines to get places quick and you can hide them well once there. You don't have to land directly on target, you can always walk them into place from a safe area if needed. CV Leo 2 for some staying power in contested zones (used pretty rarely). A good CV APC or even the jeeps are a reasonable choice if you can give yourself a good reason for why you like them.
I personally don't run FOBs because the supplies per card on the trucks/helos is back up to the point that a FOB isn't really a necessary thing. 22k+ available supplies can get you through 90% of games, and this deck has closer to 30k. FOBs are a good value only if you don't need those 75 initial points spent elsewhere... which is, and should be, rare. That cost-per-supply ratio IMO is less important then the cost of a FOB initially. Support players excluded (don't be one unless you're in a goon game and they know).

INF: German PGrens('90) are the best infantry by value in the game by a huge margin, and FSJ('90) are up there with best special forces, so you max out what you can. A mix of M113s and the cheap Marders for regular areas, and the Marder 2s for places where that autocannon will be valuable, mainly woods and areas with some open space to work with alongside the buildings. Good autocannons make EXCEPTIONAL defensive weapons against APC trains. Since it's a general deck, you can't really fit in all your support infantry, so the last card can be MANPADs or ATGMs or just more infantry. I actually vary this depending on the map we are about to play. FSJ'90 in Dorniers so 1. I have a helo infantry option and 2. You get 2 more per card then you would in CH-53s.

SUP: Roland 3s to shoot at airplanes, Gepards to shoot at everything else, including airplanes. You should always have a Gepard or 2 in front of your Rolands, so you have time to turn off their missiles or have a bait target. You have far more Gepards then rolands. You can swap out the Gepard A2s for 7 more Gepard A1s, I do this from time to time. MARS for shooting counterbattery or at spotted vehicle clusters, mortars for soft targets. 109A3s are a reasonable swap for the mortars, but mortars reload/react faster and work better with the FOBless deck idea.

TNK: You buy tanks as you need them, and don't buy 2A5s unless that's really really true. 2A1s and 2A4s, so long as you don't push them too far, can kill everything but the big 155+ point monsters. Don't be over aggressive with your armor and it can live for a very long time, letting you slowly build up numbers. The germans probably have the most effective armor selection in the game when playing like this, because every choice is good at its cost, from 60p to 170p. The best advice I can probably give is the more something costs, the less in harms way you should put it until you really need it there. Less risk of being surprised by a plane or ATGM team loving your plans up.

RCN: Don't use the cheap infantry, they run slow and get spotted too easily. Just use the Fern and turn the weapons off. The PAH-2 is there more to be a fall back attack helo for the times that becomes useful, since you don't have any in HELO. The last card is open to whatever, either the cheaper recon helo, the APCs, or the Leo 1. Varies by map.

VCH: A decent ATGM vehicle is useful for a deck that has so few, especially with no infantry ATGMs. The flakpanzers make great trash AA to throw around your army, they ward off bad helicoper play and can occasionally get that last HP off an escaping plane.

HELO: 1 of each of the 2 helicopter types you can get. The AA ones to throw in front of a FSJ push or ward off flank attacks, and the PA1-1A1s to add ATGM fire to a fight where you may have removed the AA over time.

PLN: With the changes the German planes, they don't lack nearly like they used to. Good SEAD, good iron bomber, decent cheap fighter, and a good ATGM plane for when you need to make a T-80UM hurt or dead before a fight. They also have napalm available if you need that.

I don't see much value in Eurocorps right now because I don't lack the availability of the Mistrals or their planes enough to warrant that 5 AP loss in this deck, but it certainly works all the same if you want those French additions.
Feel free to use the key, but I'd recommend going through the choices and figuring out if you'd prefer a particular unit more/less. That's the best way to get better, trying poo poo out and having it end horribly.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 12, 2014

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Mazz posted:

Side note: If AP jumps up over 18 for the 70+ point tanks, you're pretty close to a prominent tank meta. That's where you start to 1 shot AV 2 and AP climbs over 20 in only 500m.

Bro, the tank meta is already here. We are all living in it.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

OctaMurk posted:

Bro, the tank meta is already here. We are all living in it.

Yeah yeah, but now you're getting to the point that ATGM vehicles die in 1 hit to tanks that don't cost 120+ points. That plus the accuracy boosts means even more tank love. Not that it's a bad thing.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?

Mazz posted:

Missed this post initially, but here's my FRG general use deck that is also probably my favorite (or should I say was, it's been a few weeks since I played with moving and such)

All really helpful stuff, thanks.
Also I played this game with goons for the first time last night, you are all very deeply disturbed individuals. Let's play again sometime.

RangerPL
Jul 23, 2014

Xerxes17 posted:

Idiotic mindsets is MadMat's stock and trade. Once he takes an idea as his he won't back down or listen to the contrary.

It's funny, Graphic recently quit as moderator and marshal for precisely this reason.

In his words, the marshals only exist to rubberstamp whatever units MadMat pulls out of his rear end and find service dates for them. Any suggestion that even vaguely benefits a marshal's country of portfolio gets rejected as nationalistic fanboyism. The only person currently not subject to this is orcbuster, because he's MadMat's butt buddy.

Uralgraznomod, save us.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Yeah, I'll make sure that happens, and I'm pretty sure Shan's wanting to do another release after the scandiboos drop.

I think after that happens I might dig out a spreadsheet and chart what holes the various coalitions have to make sure that no coalition's got too many gaping holes compared to the rest.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Man I feel like I should start reading the forums again, it sounds like a :munch: drama bomb. Eugen's real good at community relations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

RangerPL posted:

It's funny, Graphic recently quit as moderator and marshal for precisely this reason.

In his words, the marshals only exist to rubberstamp whatever units MadMat pulls out of his rear end and find service dates for them. Any suggestion that even vaguely benefits a marshal's country of portfolio gets rejected as nationalistic fanboyism. The only person currently not subject to this is orcbuster, because he's MadMat's butt buddy.

This is all very true and precisely the thing that drove me away from the Marshals and then this game. MadMat and Orcbuster being butt buddies is of no surprise as Orcbuster share's MM's penchant for getting really huffy if you criticize any of his ideas. Orcbuster also really likes the idea of "maximum authenticity" even if his changes are harmful to gameplay.

Also, he got loving mad in the marshals forum when they nerfed the F-16 1-ton bomber and kept whining about it in every topic until he got told to shut up :v:

• Locked thread