Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I really liked Infinite, even the ending (don't hurt me).

That said, all in all, I thought it was good, but good to the point of getting the praise it got. And the Vox Populi plot thread was simply terrible.

Also, if we are going to talk about stupid poo poo in Infinite, why aren't we talking about GHOST MOM?

EDIT: I never played the DLC, but I hear it makes things even sillier, so I held off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Max Wilco posted:

I think this critique does a good job of highlighting all the issues Bioshock Infinite has: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdNhwb7iuI4
I was gonna complain about another BSI complaint video but watching it all the way through was pretty much on the spot with the actual issues the game had more or less. I disagree on some smaller points but it's more of a difference of taste.

I frankly also don't give a poo poo about the time travel/paradox/infinite worlds stuff because it's just stuff you throw out in time travel stories anyway. Granted you could be consistent with some more common tropes, that's about it. He's not wrong about Elizabeth's characterization feeling off, but that was probably a conscious choice (he may or may not also have issues with Tangled I would wager a guess), which at least carried through consistently to the end; Booker is a problem though because if you do frame the story of BSI through the lens of Booker's eventual redemption, he's right that there's not much to redeem, or not much shown since he spends most of it either lambasting Elizabeth about being too idealistic or asking her about the plot (or shooting hordes of dudes).

Unlucky7 posted:

I really liked Infinite, even the ending (don't hurt me).

That said, all in all, I thought it was good, but good to the point of getting the praise it got. And the Vox Populi plot thread was simply terrible.

Also, if we are going to talk about stupid poo poo in Infinite, why aren't we talking about GHOST MOM?

EDIT: I never played the DLC, but I hear it makes things even sillier, so I held off.
Felt like the DLC, plotwise was just a continuation on Levine trying to tie up the whole time travel meta plot line. There are some good character moments in it and it's fun to play. But again the story in BaS feels a little hollow because there isn't anything there except more time travel shenanigans that ultimately don't really amount to much in that area. It does wrap up Elizabeth's story well enough though.

Sober fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Oct 5, 2014

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Unlucky7 posted:

The strange thing about that level is that it's the only one in the game that seems to most closely reflect the original design, albeit incredibly stripped down and with a few oddly-detailed side areas that scream cut content.

All I can think about the spoilered part is that they were trying to follow the tradition of *Shock games having ghosts in them. That's the best I got. :shrug:

Well, I will be fair - the three main subplots in Infinite, including that one, actually have a tangible purpose. They're meant to be reflections of Booker's past, as he's dragged through a personal purgatory of sorts and attempt to redeem himself. And while that thematic tie does kind of work, the way they're executed is sloppy (the first two) or bizarre (the third).

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 5, 2014

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

mr. nobody posted:

Would you be so kind as to name the level or how I could find something on youtube? Sounds hilarious
It's Doop Space Nine.

Away all Goats posted:

I never understand people who say that game is hard to understand. EVERYTHING has a tooltip.
Please refer to this informative video on how intuitive games need to be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zThxP55Cqeo

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Oh my god a RED BLOODED AMERICAN RANT :911: it's amazing :allears: The "spell it correctly" rant has me in tears.

Just to note I haven't played D:OS or backed it or anything but holy poo poo he really needs to like sit there for a minute to realize everything he's complaining about can be solved with some common sense, trial and error.

Does he even want to play an RPG? I thought by habit most gamers (especially if you are going to make a rant video like that) you were gonna check the body at the start there anyway?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

All I can think about the spoilered part is that they were trying to follow the tradition of *Shock games having ghosts in them. That's the best I got. :shrug:

Sirens ressurecting soldiers were meant to be an ordinary enemy, and they were featured as such even in the marketing material

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNB1peLQwTM

Game had a very messed up development

gyger
Feb 19, 2010
Should I get D3 + Expansion now or could it get any cheaper? I still have Van Helsing 1 + 2 in my backlog.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

fatherboxx posted:

Sirens ressurecting soldiers were meant to be an ordinary enemy, and they were featured as such even in the marketing material

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNB1peLQwTM

Game had a very messed up development

:doh: Oh, jeez.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

gyger posted:

Should I get D3 + Expansion now or could it get any cheaper? I still have Van Helsing 1 + 2 in my backlog.

I doubt it'll get any cheaper. Blizzard doesn't really discount their stuff that often, and when they do they rarely go past 50% off. 40 bucks for both d3 and RoS is the best you'll probably see for awhile.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Kibayasu posted:

Since I can't resist talking about Nier even after all these years it almost feels like there are two true endings to it, due to the fact that there are two "main characters," in that the Japanese version of the game has you playing as Yonah's brother, who also looks completely different, whereas the North American version has you playing as her father, but the endings remain the same in both versions. After everything you go through in the NA version to save Yonah Ending D really doesn't feel like it fits too well. Ending C might be a bit stereotypical in that it seems like just a simple, mostly happy ending (on a relatively small scale at least) but compared to Nier choosing to leave his daughter behind, literally his single motivation for the entire game, C fit a lot better when combined with what happens in Endings A and B.

It's a shame Ending E ended up on the cutting room floor where (major Nier spoilers) You started a new game and could get an ending that let you resurrect your previous ending D save so everyone got a happy ending.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

gyger posted:

It'll be $40 again, probably sooner than later. If you didn't get runover by the train I don't see a reason to hop on if you have something else to do.

Is Neir coming out on PC? Whys peoples talking about it? Ryse is apparantly coming out next week, something I had no clue of until my queue told me, so good job New Steam.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

kater posted:

Is Neir coming out on PC? Whys peoples talking about it?

No. It was being used as an example.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

kirbysuperstar posted:

No. It was being used as an example.

New update for Ending D for a PC version;

It formats all your hard drives. You have to be very sure about picking it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

New update for Ending D for a PC version;

It formats all your hard drives. You have to be very sure about picking it.

If only :allears:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Sober posted:

Oh my god a RED BLOODED AMERICAN RANT :911: it's amazing :allears: The "spell it correctly" rant has me in tears.

Just to note I haven't played D:OS or backed it or anything but holy poo poo he really needs to like sit there for a minute to realize everything he's complaining about can be solved with some common sense, trial and error.

Does he even want to play an RPG? I thought by habit most gamers (especially if you are going to make a rant video like that) you were gonna check the body at the start there anyway?
He has the Kickstarter Edition so he not only must have wanted to play an RPG, but wanted to do so quite far ahead of time.

The body is the best. He's just refusing to do it out of spite because orcs didn't attack as mandated by some law of narrative, but for some reason is ignoring that the character specifically said they preferred being attacked by orcs better because they're poo poo at ambushes as you can hear them coming.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

He has the Kickstarter Edition so he not only must have wanted to play an RPG, but wanted to do so quite far ahead of time.

The body is the best. He's just refusing to do it out of spite because orcs didn't attack as mandated by some law of narrative, but for some reason is ignoring that the character specifically said they preferred being attacked by orcs better because they're poo poo at ambushes as you can hear them coming.

Preeeetty sure, given some of his other videos, its a joke. And a pretty good one. Poe's Law at the very least.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

gyger posted:

Buy it if you want to play it NOW. Otherwise wait, it will be cheaper (although probably not that much) somewhere down the line.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

He's going the extra mile for the joke because he also gets banned from forums for being an argumentative and unreasonable sperg.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Trials Fusion: worth $5? Trying to decide whether to grab the Ubi 3-pack thing or just Child Of Light and Valiant Hearts separately.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

duckfarts posted:

Trials Fusion: worth $5? Trying to decide whether to grab the Ubi 3-pack thing or just Child Of Light and Valiant Hearts separately.

Yes Yes Yes.

If you liked any of the previous trials game, this is more of that, more refined, still shitloads of fun. Now with FMX tricks!

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Tezzeract posted:

Managed to finish a game of Endless Legend. Wow, this is one of the most unique 4X games I've ever played and the only one that I wanted to play through to see the end game victory conditions. The factions are probably more diverse than the ones from that Civ mod Fall from Heaven. And the faction questline does a great job contextualizing the setting.

The cons are that the AI is pretty weak unless you crank up the difficulty.

As soon as they manage to fix the AI a little it's a must buy for me.
What intrigues me the most is the salad bowl tech tree. You cannot just insta buy all the low level techs as soon as you start the usual science farting phase of most 4x. You have to stick with your build somewhat, because the more you research the more the costs rise up and you'd rather blow your science load with a shiny age 2 tech.
Also, the fact that you can choose any tech from the bowl should make for extremely varied and unique strategies. Probably there will be a cookie cutter build that always works but eh... It's mainly SP for me, so I don't really care.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I'm a bit bummed out from the work and I will need something to take my mind out from it: Recommend me a good indie game cheaply from Steam. Is Shadowrun: Director's cut any good? What about The Long Dark?

I need fun and immersion, people!

Orv
May 4, 2011

ManOfTheYear posted:

I'm a bit bummed out from the work and I will need something to take my mind out from it: Recommend me a good indie game cheaply from Steam. Is Shadowrun: Director's cut any good? What about The Long Dark?

I need fun and immersion, people!

It's not hardly an indie game but STALKER: COP is $10 right now, can't get much better for cheap immersion.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

AirRaid posted:

Yes Yes Yes.

If you liked any of the previous trials game, this is more of that, more refined, still shitloads of fun. Now with FMX tricks!

However the intro music is awful. Where's my trials rap?

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Kibayasu posted:

Since I can't resist talking about Nier even after all these years it almost feels like there are two true endings to it, due to the fact that there are two "main characters," in that the Japanese version of the game has you playing as Yonah's brother, who also looks completely different, whereas the North American version has you playing as her father, but the endings remain the same in both versions. After everything you go through in the NA version to save Yonah Ending D really doesn't feel like it fits too well. Ending C might be a bit stereotypical in that it seems like just a simple, mostly happy ending (on a relatively small scale at least) but compared to Nier choosing to leave his daughter behind, literally his single motivation for the entire game, C fit a lot better when combined with what happens in Endings A and B.

I think he understood that both Yonah and Kainé would both live on, which was all he really wanted. If I remember correctly from the Japanese audio dramas, Kainé goes crazy when she starts to remember small fragments of who Nier was, but not understanding who he was or why he was so important. Emir also outlives everyone and ends up alone, long after everyone else has died.

I also figured both Brother and Father versions of Nier were canon, as the replicants were repeated over generations, so one iteration of replicant Nier was just closer in age to Replicant Yonah. We got a Replicant Nier who was pretty old by the time the Shadowlord lost his patience and the Japanese got a different generation of him.

rednecked_crake fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Oct 5, 2014

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

An update on some new smaller releases on Steam:

A.R.E.S. Extinction Agenda EX - A sequel to A.R.E.S. released. It's a 2.5D sidescrolling action game a'la Abuse. The first game wasn't good but maybe the sequel is better?

Qora - Another attack of the retro graphics. This time the pixels are even smaller. It's an adventure game.

Silence of the Sleep - A 2D horror adventure game with mechanics reminescent of Amnesia where you have to avoid a patroling monster while exploring. Might be cool.

Super Win the Game - A sequel to another homage to old-school platformers. You know the drill.

Wrack - A horde mode, combo-driven FPS that was Early Access for some time and just fully released.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Wrack has some of the most questionable design choices I've ever seen in any FPS, you have a melee weapon which is a huge sword and your camera moves around when you swing it to mimick the real movement of a body swinging the sword around. Its a super high speed game though so the effect is both disorienting and nauseating. It also has the same problem rise of the triad had initially. Limited lives AND a checkpoint system! Also only 8 levels and 5 weapons.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

FrickenMoron posted:

Wrack has some of the most questionable design choices I've ever seen in any FPS, you have a melee weapon which is a huge sword and your camera moves around when you swing it to mimick the real movement of a body swinging the sword around. Its a super high speed game though so the effect is both disorienting and nauseating. It also has the same problem rise of the triad had initially. Limited lives AND a checkpoint system! Also only 8 levels and 5 weapons.

It's still miles better and far more polished than 95% of the other crap which makes it through greenlight these days. It has it's flaws but few games don't. Considering this is a first commercial effort it's really good.

Yannos
Aug 4, 2006

You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee.Black. You have five earth minutes ... Make it Perfect!

Ghostlight posted:

Please refer to this informative video on how intuitive games need to be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zThxP55Cqeo

DarkSydePhil's long lost brother?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Isn't ARES Extinction Agenda EX a remake of Extinction Agenda rather than a sequel?

Also, Wrack is pretty fun if you're fan of Doom. It has nowhere near the same quality of design, but it scratches all the right itches for me.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

AirRaid posted:

It's still miles better and far more polished than 95% of the other crap which makes it through greenlight these days. It has it's flaws but few games don't. Considering this is a first commercial effort it's really good.
It's also worth mentioning that it launched with Steam Workshop and people have been working on some of the problems with the game. For example this mod is a collection of quality of life tweaks including making the sword more effective. I'm sure we'll be seeing more ideas like this.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Also, Wrack is pretty fun if you're fan of Doom. It has nowhere near the same quality of design, but it scratches all the right itches for me.

This makes sense since the main Dev is Carnevil, who made Skulltag among other doom related things.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

There's already the first episode of Doom released for Wrack.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So maybe you guys can confirm. Is personal tailoring on the Steam attention queue thing a myth, or is it something I should ignore if I just want to see games I might be interested in on grounds of personal taste?

Because the one and only game I've seen it suggest to me for a reason beyond 'because it's popular' is Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, which was instead suggested for being a 'top seller'. I'd love a list of games they think I'd like, based on what I usually buy and play, but if it's going to keep throwing me Acclaimed Yet Personally Uninteresting AAA Title #63 and Early-Access Creative Sandbox Game #58 then I've got no reason to bother.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Wasn't there a game that pretty much already did this? Albeit it was accidental, but it was still rather funny.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Cleretic posted:

So maybe you guys can confirm. Is personal tailoring on the Steam attention queue thing a myth, or is it something I should ignore if I just want to see games I might be interested in on grounds of personal taste?

Because the one and only game I've seen it suggest to me for a reason beyond 'because it's popular' is Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, which was instead suggested for being a 'top seller'. I'd love a list of games they think I'd like, based on what I usually buy and play, but if it's going to keep throwing me Acclaimed Yet Personally Uninteresting AAA Title #63 and Early-Access Creative Sandbox Game #58 then I've got no reason to bother.
It's a myth that is even confirmed by Valve itself in the description of how the queue works:

"The Discovery Queue will not show any product that is already in your library, on your wishlist, or that you’ve seen in a Discovery Queue previously. It will also exclude products that you have marked as 'Not Interested' or have previously indicated that you wished not to be recommended to you."

"Everyone is different, and tastes in games change over time. We mix in products based on newness or popularity, in addition to games similar to ones you’ve been playing, to help you discover new things that you didn’t realize could be interesting."

"Selecting ‘Not Interested’ on a product in your Discovery Queue lets Steam know that you don’t want to see that product in any featured area or recommendations. It does not change what kind of games will be recommended to you."

So to recap:
  • There's no smart algorythm analysing your queue choices. You just won't be shown products you've already seen in your queue and hitting "not interested" will remove the game from other fields on the Steam store.
  • You will be shown products that are popular, top selling and ones fitting the broken "similar games" option that never really worked.
  • You will be shown games from all genres, even those you hate in case you change your mind.

That's it, there's nothing more to the queue than browsing the most popular games list except for removing the particular games you selected not to see anymore.

Foulbrood
May 17, 2004

This is it, Jonesy!

Moryrie posted:

How hard is Crusader Kings to get into if you just kinda start playing it? I'm thinking of installing since it's free at the moment, but I'm a bit apprehensive because of how hard everyone says it is, and I really hate watching youtube tutorials because the people doing them always have these horrible obnoxious voices.
The ingame tutorial is bad and downright wrong on many counts. I got into CK2 fairly recently and I'd recommend watching the tutorial series done by Arumba on YouTube, where he takes an Irish count all the way to kingship. His voice might take some getting used to, but he's really insightful in explaining the mechanics and his choices, plus his channel is dedicated to grand strategy games in general and has a lot of Victoria and Europa Universalis stuff for those who want that.

Awesome! posted:

I had no clue what the "great house" option in the people finder meant until today too.
Not entirely sure I still know what that is. Care to share? :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ddraig posted:

Wasn't there a game that pretty much already did this? Albeit it was accidental, but it was still rather funny.

There was an old PC game that decided the Windows directory was it's install pathway (or at least some key part of it) and would effectively lobotomize your Windows install if you tried to uninstall the game.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There was an old PC game that decided the Windows directory was it's install pathway (or at least some key part of it) and would effectively lobotomize your Windows install if you tried to uninstall the game.
Myth 2, Ruins of Myth Drannor and in rarer cases, Baldur's Gate 2 ToB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Ddraig posted:

Myth II's uninstaller would take Windows out, EVE's first graphical overhaul expansion deleted Vista's boot.ini and one Phantasy Star Online 2 update wiped C: if the game was installed to a non-default location. Those are the big three, off the top of my head.

• Locked thread