Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
If you're looking at Canon gear you could get the Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS for the wide angle shots and a 50mm f1.8 for tighter cropped shots and it would leave you with $500-$600 dollars to spend on a APS-C Canon body (I don't know much about which one to get here). Between the IS on the 10-18mm and the wide aperture of the 50mm low light shouldn't be too bad.

Edit: I realise this is pretty much the opposite of the massive telephoto lenses everyone here is using but for something like bouldering which is slow and methodical and where you can get pretty much as close as you want from whatever angle you want and have time to switch lenses it might make more sense.

crap nerd fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Oct 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Tarnien posted:

Sorry to dumb up this thread with :derp: but I wanted to get some suggestions from non-reddit sources. My girlfriend shoots a lot of rock climbing photography and is looking to replace her current setup. Her budget is in the $1000 range (for body+lens, though this is negotiable). Mostly bouldering (so zoom isn't an issue). Low light ability would be ideal, though obviously we can deal with lighting separately. Keeping an eye out for some good refurbs, but wanted to see if anyone had any experience shooting bouldering and what their setup was.

For reference, these are the types of bouldering photos she's interested in taking:
http://instagram.com/von_perry_photography

What does she currently use?

Tarnien
Jul 4, 2003
Champion of the World!!!

DJExile posted:

What does she currently use?

An old XTi and some low-end lenses (50mm, kit, and I believe a 40mm?). She's looking to get more serious about it and wants a kit that will let her grow a little. She's looking for a new body and a lens on the wide-range end of the spectrum.

The above 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 sounds like something that could work. I'll send her the link.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Tarnien posted:

An old XTi and some low-end lenses (50mm, kit, and I believe a 40mm?). She's looking to get more serious about it and wants a kit that will let her grow a little. She's looking for a new body and a lens on the wide-range end of the spectrum.

The above 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 sounds like something that could work. I'll send her the link.

The XTi isn't great but she's going to get a lot more for her money if she just thinks about a new lens right now. Maybe a used 70-200mm f/4? Or if you want to go wide a 17-40mm f/4. $1000 doesn't go very far in photobucks.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Tarnien posted:

The Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 is solid as well. A bit faster but no IS..so kind of a wash.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

dakana posted:

Jesus, dude. I mean, the compositions and action is pretty decent but as some point the gear starts really holding you back. What are you shooting these on?

D7000 with Nikkor 70-300 f/4.5-5.6, and apparently that's at 10k ISO; kinda surprised you didn't call me out the week before, when I had to go all the way to 25600 ISO. The one you quoted is just a bit noisy, the one before looked a bit crap even on newsprint.

I have access to the paper's spare 80-200 f/2.8, but it's literally falling apart and misses focus a lot, plus I'd have to drive across town to the office to pick it up/return it every week. With the pittance they pay me as a stringer, it's not worth it the additional half-hour of driving. If I was doing real freelance work and getting paid a decent amount for it, sure, I'd get better equipment. But for $35 a game and my photos are lining the birdcage tomorrow afternoon? :effort:

I mostly just do it to watch a football game from the sidelines. Anybody else find that shooting sports has ruined the experience of watching the sport on TV? Before I got the newspaper job, I wasn't really a sports fan, but I'd watch the local pro ballgames if they were on. But now, the televised version (hell, even seeing it in person from the stands) is boring. We photographers are on the sidelines by necessity; I know one reporter who prefers to write from the sidelines instead of sitting up in the press box. He'd agree with me. Though you should totally go up to the press box at halftime. They at least have snacks and soft drinks, and sometimes a full buffet -- one school around here is sponsored by the local BBQ shack, and part of the sponsorship includes catering for the press box.

Back to crap equipment, here's one from 2003 with some flavor of D1 (probably the H, as the low man on the totem pole I didn't get an X until everybody else got a D2, but it's not poo poo enough to have been from the OG D1) and the 80-200 mentioned above that hasn't been to the shop since; they sent it in to be freshened up when I returned to my staff job in '10 after going away to university, but the shop wouldn't touch it because it was too broke to bother fixing.

This week, I was pressed for time and they ran mostly up the middle, so I didn't get much:

hi liter, this is the sort of thing I was talking about with wide shots rarely working. I wish it had been twice as wide -- same crop vertically, but showing the linemen fighting each other and the hole he's jumping through, y'know?

Like this, by one of my coworkers:

(please excuse the noise, it's from '09 when he was using a D2)

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Delivery McGee posted:

If I was doing real freelance work and getting paid a decent amount for it, sure, I'd get better equipment. But for $35 a game and my photos are lining the birdcage tomorrow afternoon? :effort:

I mostly just do it to watch a football game from the sidelines.

Word. I can respect that.

Some Spartan stuff. Takeaways from this weekend:

1. Holy poo poo it was cold. I had a cotton undershirt, a longsleeve underarmor shirt, a cotton overshirt, a Nike ACG jacket, and then my big fluffy faux-fur/suede overcoat. I was loving freezing. The rain, sleet, and HAIL didn't help. I couldn't imagine what the racers were feeling like. Needless to say, there were tons of medic calls for hypothermia -- handfuls of people ambulanced to the hospital for it, too.

NKPH2699 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

2. Apparently, dogs can be Spartans, too.

NKPH0704 2 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

3. When the sun goes down, bets are off and the flashes come out for the last trickle of races.

NKPH9154 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

dakana posted:

Word. I can respect that.

Some Spartan stuff. Takeaways from this weekend:

1. Holy poo poo it was cold. I had a cotton undershirt, a longsleeve underarmor shirt, a cotton overshirt, a Nike ACG jacket, and then my big fluffy faux-fur/suede overcoat. I was loving freezing. The rain, sleet, and HAIL didn't help. I couldn't imagine what the racers were feeling like. Needless to say, there were tons of medic calls for hypothermia -- handfuls of people ambulanced to the hospital for it, too.

NKPH2699 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

2. Apparently, dogs can be Spartans, too.

NKPH0704 2 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

3. When the sun goes down, bets are off and the flashes come out for the last trickle of races.

NKPH9154 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

Days like that are why I don't miss shooting races. I love the look the dog is giving it's owner, and the last one is great.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Wooten posted:

Days like that are why I don't miss shooting races. I love the look the dog is giving it's owner, and the last one is great.

It was pretty loving miserable for a good bit of the day. Definitely needed some heavy-duty gloves and maybe a drat balaclava. And yeah, the dog really didn't seem too pleased for the obstacles. It also lost a bootie at some point :( I didn't get the story behind her; I'm wondering if perhaps she's a service dog for seizures of something.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

There was a dog(ge) at the Chicago race too, I'll see if I have a couple of her. poo poo was adorable.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

it was so drat cold

Untitled by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

Untitled by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

DJExile posted:

it was so drat cold

I hate shooting in rain, but it makes it so much more interesting.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Some from last nights match against Sogndal IL:

Vålerenga Fotball - Sogndal Fotball 05.10.2014 by azathosk, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

You're doing better and better at keeping a tight frame on the action. I might crop some of the negative space on the first two but overall they're a good group.

Hell, now that I look more at it, you might be able cut out the white team's player entirely in the 2nd and still have a good shot.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

DJExile posted:

Hell, now that I look more at it, you might be able cut out the white team's player entirely in the 2nd and still have a good shot.

Agreed. Could probably tighten up the 3rd one too. Even if you cut the foreground guy on the right off.

Good stuff though.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

DJExile posted:

You're doing better and better at keeping a tight frame on the action. I might crop some of the negative space on the first two but overall they're a good group.

Pukestain Pal posted:

Agreed. Could probably tighten up the 3rd one too. Even if you cut the foreground guy on the right off.

Good stuff though.

Thanks to you both. I have another match in my backlog so I'll try to crop even harder. Just have to learn that I don't always have to lock myself into the original crop size.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

azathosk posted:

Thanks to you both. I have another match in my backlog so I'll try to crop even harder. Just have to learn that I don't always have to lock myself into the original crop size.

Yeah if you're not sending them to print, make whatever crops you want.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
I remember it being a huge deal when Sports Illustrated used a photo for their cover that was shot horizontally with a D3 at ISO6400, then cropped into vertical. Sort of a "holy poo poo, cameras are nuts" moment.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Took me a while, been busy buying a house and settling in with work.

This is my indoor football game shoot, and the lighting was atrocious.

I had to trash a lot of the photos because they were just poo poo in that light, but I tried to salvage some of them. I wish there was a way I knew to get rid of that ISO noise.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Those aren't bad but they're really dark. How are you metering the shots?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Soulex posted:

I had to trash a lot of the photos because they were just poo poo in that light, but I tried to salvage some of them. I wish there was a way I knew to get rid of that ISO noise.

Noise isn't a bad thing. Not much you can do anyways. Don't worry about upping the ISO. Better to have a high ISO than to have to up the exposure in post.

Not bad shots, but you need some foreground separation (wider aperture). It'll also allow you to shoot lower iso, higher shutter.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

DJExile posted:

Those aren't bad but they're really dark. How are you metering the shots?

The grass. I tried the players at first but because some where darker than others, it metered strangely. What should I have done differently?

Pukestain Pal posted:

Noise isn't a bad thing. Not much you can do anyways. Don't worry about upping the ISO. Better to have a high ISO than to have to up the exposure in post.

Not bad shots, but you need some foreground separation (wider aperture). It'll also allow you to shoot lower iso, higher shutter.

I had to move the aperture higher because the 60mm I was using has a super shallow DoF and I didn't want to risk getting poo poo way too crazy. It was an experiment if anything. Why is upping IS o better than exposure in post?

Thanks for the advice and help. It was super bad to shoot. Glass covering walls except the dugout area, and one goal where I had to stick my lens through to get a clear shot and pray that I wasn't going to get hit.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Soulex posted:

I had to move the aperture higher because the 60mm I was using has a super shallow DoF and I didn't want to risk getting poo poo way too crazy. It was an experiment if anything. Why is upping IS o better than exposure in post?

* Shallow DoF (in various degrees) in sports is rarely a bad thing.
* The noise becomes worse, and the noise is "different". ISO noise isn't nearly as bad as post production noise.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cheers for that. I didn't want to drop down to F2 though because I was afraid it would blur too much in front. It is a macro lens after all :(

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Soulex posted:

Cheers for that. I didn't want to drop down to F2 though because I was afraid it would blur too much in front. It is a macro lens after all :(

I usually shoot around 3.2/3.5.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
sell ur zooms, shoot at 1.8 all day every day

NKPH8222 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

the hosed up bokeys is from the heat coming off of the fire.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

dakana posted:

the hosed up bokeys is from the heat coming off of the fire.

nah. you got separation. I approve. Ask me about my wire photos yo.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

DJExile posted:

Yeah if you're not sending them to print, make whatever crops you want.

Even if it is for print, gently caress 'em, crop it so it looks good and make the layout people work around it (unless you're specifically shooting for a full page in a magazine or some such). In the newspaper business, it's polite to give them vertical and horizontal options, but if it's good they'll make it fit.

Speaking of the newspaper business, here's tonight's handegg:

I kinda like the motion blur.

Didn't even bother to look up the guys' names for the cutline because it's just their backs and thus too boring to print, but I love #4's face.

upstart
Oct 30, 2012

I've got this
I guess bullfighting is a sport, there's an arena at least.

Fighter by theupstart, on Flickr

Justice by theupstart, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

upstart posted:

I guess bullfighting is a sport, there's an arena at least.

Fighter by theupstart, on Flickr

Do you have a crop where the people sitting in the stands aren't getting beheaded? If so, that'd be a fun shot.

upstart
Oct 30, 2012

I've got this

Pukestain Pal posted:

Do you have a crop where the people sitting in the stands aren't getting beheaded? If so, that'd be a fun shot.

Unfortunately not, I just flipped it to a portrait orientation.

This is full, but it doesn't seem like anyone cares.

Helpless by theupstart, on Flickr

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
A few shots from the match between Norway and Bulgaria. I got to borrow a 400mm f/2.8L IS II for the second half, now I want one for myself.

Norway - Bulgaria 13.10.2014 by azathosk, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

azathosk posted:

A few shots from the match between Norway and Bulgaria. I got to borrow a 400mm f/2.8L IS II for the second half, now I want one for myself.

Great stuff! This one in particular would get used a lot.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh man, shooting any sort of international soccer would rule but getting to borrow a lens like that on top of it? That really owns.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
Borrowing lenses is a gateway drug.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
Derby girls!

10623541_10154803348430347_3348255451554562580_o by sildargod, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That is a neat as hell moment but I'd absolutely crop that in tighter, especially from the sides.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Miko posted:

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Miko posted:

I've started saving up for a used 400mm f/2.8L IS II.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
I am rolling with my beat-up 80-200 two-ring and I will not touch ANYTHING else, you hear?