Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
Who wishes to smash with me? I have a room open RIGHT NOW. Come and join!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Austrian mook posted:

I have no idea how the grab is used successfully, when should you use it?

You cannot possibly not know this if you're making statements like "Melee is objectively better"

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

The Shortest Path posted:

You cannot possibly not know this if you're making statements like "Melee is objectively better"

Eiba posted:

Damned if I didn't know this would happen. Imp zone oozes back into this thread, and games posters don't understand how gimmicks work and the thread turns to poo poo.

Bonzai's trolling guys- part of his act is to say he's being sincere and telling trolls to gently caress off in an effort to confuse people. It works. He's apparently hilarious enough to get his own gang tag. That should really tell you something.

Oh well.

Note the gang tag. It means "Ignore Me."

falconry
Oct 9, 2012
(Minor) Classic Mode boss spoilers: Man, gently caress the swords incarnation of the Pile of Cartoon Fleas final boss. Only reason I can't beat 9 intensity without dying.

Also I have no idea what I'm doing with this Duck Hunt fool but he rules.

e: what a humble-braggy sounding post, sorry about that. Fun game.

falconry fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Oct 5, 2014

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Oh but gently caress me the lag in this game is really really bad.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Kooriken posted:

Who wishes to smash with me? I have a room open RIGHT NOW. Come and join!

I'll join. I think I need your friend code though.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I wonder if the New 3DS will do anything for the Smash Bros lag, since the net connection is supposed to be faster in the New. I mean it won't help if it's your opponent causing the lag, but it would be funny if New users became like super-fast Gods among all these folks lagging out and moving like molasses.

(Yes I realize that`s not how the internet or connections work but as a New 3DS early adopter I can dream can`t I)

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

CatsPajamas posted:

lol

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I'll join. I think I need your friend code though.

4897-7364-4111 is the code, what's yours just to make sure I have it?

Kooriken fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Oct 5, 2014

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Kooriken posted:

4897-7364-4111 is the code, what's yours just to make sure I have it?

I just friended you now. Mine is 1203-9448-9931

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

Alright, room is open again! Come on in!

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

CatsPajamas posted:

If this is a joke, it isn't funny.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

Good games Bodhivasta! But I should probably go to bed now.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

CatsPajamas posted:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't see how voicing my actual, real concerns with the game in here is an "act", especially when the people arguing against me are saying the exact same thing.

falconry
Oct 9, 2012
After more games messing around with Duck Hunt Dog I'm disappointed that every one of the animations for his throws and Smash attacks are variations on the same maneuver. Dude's got the most unique special attacks in the game and it's just weird that his other attacks seem so bland.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Kooriken posted:

Good games Bodhivasta! But I should probably go to bed now.

Simply further proof that I should never stop playing DeDeDe.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

bonzibuddy64 posted:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't see how voicing my actual, real concerns with the game in here is an "act", especially when the people arguing against me are saying the exact same thing.

Don't feel bad Bonzi. Your concerns about single player not being beefy enough made me reconsider buying this game for a while, but then I watched some Let's Play footage of it on Youtube and decided I could definitely get at least $40 worth of fun out of what is there.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
How does Lucina differ from Marth? I thought she was just going to be an alt costume for Marth but I was surprised to find out she's a separate character.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

her sword doesn't do extra damage/knockback when you hit with the tip, but her average hits are stronger and have more knockback.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Good lord, once you start getting good at Smash Run, it's definitely the fastest way to unlock customization options. Any reasonably large enemy has a chance of dropping a bag with a wrench on it, as does any treasure chest. You can pull down 5-9 of them per run easily. I don't think you even need to win the thing at the end.

EDIT: The other thing to note is that when you play as a character, it increases your likelihood of getting moves/equipment that goes with that character, so the quickest way to get a character's full compliment of moves is probably to get good at Smash Running with them. I have a theory that playing as a Mii Fighter probably increases the likelihood of getting costume pieces...but I'm not good enough with any of my Mii Fighters yet to really say.

Rocketlex fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Oct 5, 2014

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Getsuya posted:

Don't feel bad Bonzi. Your concerns about single player not being beefy enough made me reconsider buying this game for a while, but then I watched some Let's Play footage of it on Youtube and decided I could definitely get at least $40 worth of fun out of what is there.

Don't get me wrong, it's definitely better than Brawl in a lot of ways, but the 3DS version to me is just a little too barebones for me. Hopefully the Wii U version is better, and it's not like I wasn't already going to buy both of them, but I've had friends who said they're going to wait on the Wii U version and after playing this for a while I can see why.

All I have left to do is complete the last challenge panel, which is full of stuff I don't want to do in the first place, so really I just play whenever my friends are around or online. The netcode is definitely better than it was in Brawl, but in some situations it gets so bad that it's unplayable, so I just hope that the Wii U version is better (and just by nature of it being on console it'll already have a better control-feel to it. Playing on the 3DS circle pad with the small buttons is not all that great.)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Like I said earlier, I hope there's a way to "import" your 3DS save to the WiiU version so that you can start out with most everything unlocked. Also I have to agree with playing as a certain character in single-player and getting moves for them. While I was playing Marth in classic mode to unlock Lucina, I got two or three custom moves and they all were for him.

Cake Attack posted:

her sword doesn't do extra damage/knockback when you hit with the tip, but her average hits are stronger and have more knockback.

Oh good, I was never an expert at hitting people with the tip so I will have to play around with her.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

bonzibuddy64 posted:

Don't get me wrong, it's definitely better than Brawl in a lot of ways, but the 3DS version to me is just a little too barebones for me. Hopefully the Wii U version is better, and it's not like I wasn't already going to buy both of them, but I've had friends who said they're going to wait on the Wii U version and after playing this for a while I can see why.

Yeah I have a friend that is also doing this, but since I don't own a Wii U I figure I'll settle for what the 3DS has to offer.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Yeah, I wouldn't blame anyone for waiting for the Wii U version, and I'll certainly be buying the hell out of it myself because there's no doubt it will be many times better than this. Still, even though this experience feels stripped down a little, what is here is quite fun and very well-polished, in my opinion. The fact that it's only $40 to the Wii U's (I'm guessing) $60 helps a lot here.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Do Mii Swordfighters really do 30 to 60 damage on every attack because even the weakest ones in multi-man do absurd amounts of damage. Also I can't get a single kill in cruel melee, but that's mostly because the game just lets them get hyper armor on every attack and then turns off my recovery moves.

e: Also I keep getting parts unlocked to customize my own Mii in Trophy Rush but I don't actually get anything.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Oct 5, 2014

falconry
Oct 9, 2012
I think my biggest complaint about this game is that for some reason they decided to use "OK" instead of "YES" on the menu yes/no questions.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Well that was a fun few hours smashing some bros. I was planning to only have a few matches with my pubbie friend, and then some goons decided to join in. Prof. Oak, you were a good sport putting up with my friend's and my nonsense. Memorable moments of the night included me, my friend, and a goon all picking Zelda characters without any foreknowledge, and then we all rolled Mario characters the next match, and then Kirby with Duck Hunt powers having a can battle with the Dog. Good stuff all around.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Rocketlex posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't blame anyone for waiting for the Wii U version, and I'll certainly be buying the hell out of it myself because there's no doubt it will be many times better than this. Still, even though this experience feels stripped down a little, what is here is quite fun and very well-polished, in my opinion. The fact that it's only $40 to the Wii U's (I'm guessing) $60 helps a lot here.

What modes is the Wii U version going to get that's lacking here? I thought they were supposed to be identical aside from the obvious graphical differences.

Also I tried this out on my brother's 3DS and holy poo poo you cannot play this game for more than 20 minutes straight. The controls are terrible and seriously made my hands hurt. Never had this happen with a game before.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

Doflamingo posted:

The controls are terrible and seriously made my hands hurt. Never had this happen with a game before.

Someone never played Kid Icarus Uprising. Just like that game though, this thing is amazing after you have transcended mortal limitations on hand movements.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Rocketlex posted:

Good lord, once you start getting good at Smash Run, it's definitely the fastest way to unlock customization options. Any reasonably large enemy has a chance of dropping a bag with a wrench on it, as does any treasure chest. You can pull down 5-9 of them per run easily. I don't think you even need to win the thing at the end.

EDIT: The other thing to note is that when you play as a character, it increases your likelihood of getting moves/equipment that goes with that character, so the quickest way to get a character's full compliment of moves is probably to get good at Smash Running with them. I have a theory that playing as a Mii Fighter probably increases the likelihood of getting costume pieces...but I'm not good enough with any of my Mii Fighters yet to really say.

I love Smash Run. It's so fun running around and collect all kinds of stuff before the final battle makes you duke it out in a battle or a race.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Any tips on how to actually get good at Smash Run then?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Any tips on how to actually get good at Smash Run then?

Smash a bunch of mooks and then get told that it gave you all power upgrades when you're doing a jump challenge.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Calaveron posted:

Some of the custom moves are really cool like one of Link's Up Bs which makes his recovery as lovely as it was in the N64 version, but it hits like a goddamn truck and looks really cool so it's a good trade-off.
Some are awful like one of Little Mac's neutral B which trades his huge one punch for a lovely multiple-punching flaming attack with half the range.
There really should be a quicker way of finding out which moves you've found.

Hit R on the main customization screen to test your moves. It even gives you a sandbag to try them out on.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Might sound like a daft question, but, I'm new.

When I go off the edge, how do I get back? I see the AI has no loving issues making it back from 2 or 3 map screens away, but when I start falling, that's it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sorry if it's been asked over and over, but how do you get 100% in beating up the credits?
I figure you have to use all of your moves because they eventually stop adding up, but I always seem to run out in the 80s.

tithin posted:

When I go off the edge, how do I get back? I see the AI has no loving issues making it back from 2 or 3 map screens away, but when I start falling, that's it.

Up+B is the get higher move for everyone.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
For the credits, it will unveil a bit of the picture where you hit the name. So say you hit the name I. The top right hand corner, a place that size and shape will be revealed in the top right hand corner. Look for. Sparkle on tiny bits you haven't done.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Teenage Fansub posted:

Up+B is the get higher move for everyone.

Does it have diminishing returns? I can only rarely seem to use it when I'm falling

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

tithin posted:

You have a second jump, getting smashed away while on the ground lets you use your air jump. Aside from that, most characters' up B moves are recovery moves, you can use them to travel. Some of them (like Zelda) can be aimed, others (like Pac-Man or Megaman) give you a lot of pure vertical distance.

A small handful of fighters have other moves that can act like recovery in a pinch. Little Mac's side+b dashes you sidways and can be used to cover a great deal of lateral distance. Useful if you're really far away from the stage but far above it.

Note that you can only use up+b or a recovery-oriented side+b once per jump. After using it you're spent and can't even double jump or even attack anymore until you land. Always use your jump before your recovery if you need both.

A very small number of fighters (Metaknight, Kirby, Dedede, Jigglypuff, Pit, Dark Pit) also have more than two jumps. And one (Yoshi) has a really, really good second jump.

In general, just experiment with your character's moves, find the ones that let you cover distance in the air. Other than that, it's just timing. Jumping at exactly the right time will often be the difference between not grabbing a ledge and successfully doing so.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Oct 5, 2014

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Warlock Punch has super-armor. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Dr Pepper posted:

Warlock Punch has super-armor. :getin:

Only when charging. There's a brief window between the charge and the actual punch where you can be hit. :gonk:

• Locked thread