Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I just can't not think of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9iQ1yU5Ops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

About the only good thing about it is the charades scene and Donna going :munch: during the big parlor scene.

I laughed at that, it really was a Black Orchid v2.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Generally I liked this, although the moment of 'the moon is an egg' is a pretty :wtc: moment. Giving Clara a 'Do you have the right?' moment definitely earned the verbal backlash that she gave the Doctor at the end. Placing (what she thought was) the fate of humanity vs that of the soup space dragon in her hands clearly did a number on her psychologically, and rightfully so. If anything, with a little afterthought, this should give her a little insight into the Doctor's mindset as he has to deal with this kind of decision every day.

I also didn't realise my dad's friend Tony Osoba was in this until I watched the Doctor Who Extra. I shall ask him about this next time I see him. Shame he only lasted about 5 minutes with maybe 2 lines.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Gaz-L posted:

Capaldi and Anderson are great too. The Doctor's pained confusion as he's explaining he felt was respecting humanity's right to choose it's destiny, and Danny's understated supportiveness and the hints of what happened to make him leave the army. (I do kinda wish they'd bite the bullet and have him say it, but I bet that's being saved for the finale.)

The Doctor wasn't respecting humanity's right at all. He dropped two time travelers in on the expedition which had already made its decision, when they failed to get their way they had the entire Earth vote and when Earth voted against them Clara said gently caress that and overruled them anyway. Then the Doctor showed up and congratulated everyone on making their decision. The smart decision would have been killing the space dragon and thats what I wished would have happened.

I did like Clara's speech to him though. Thats probably one of the stand out moments of the whole of NuWho to be honest. With as much time as the Doctor has spent on Earth he really doesn't have the right to go about saying "not my planet" anymore.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I would argue that the Doctor's home is Earth. Far more than Gallifrey. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Series 9 or 10's arc is all about him having Gallifrey back and realizing that he's an Earthling far more than a Gallifreyan.

Edit: also, Courtney insisting on calling Clara "miss". If the stupid theories are true, that may have been a hint at Clara=Missy. Normally I wouldn't pay that line any mind, but I wouldn't put it past them to drop dumb hints like that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jsor posted:

I would argue that the Doctor's home is Earth. Far more than Gallifrey. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Series 9 or 10's arc is all about him having Gallifrey back and realizing that he's an Earthling far more than a Gallifreyan.

Oh the very second that Gallifrey/the Time Lords are back you can pretty much guarantee he is going to immediately feel stifled and hate it and do a runner. Something like the Fifth Doctor after the Time Loud Council enthusiastically told him that they wanted to reaffirm him as President.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So...Kill the Moon might be the best episode of Doctor Who I've ever watched. I'm legitimately surprised to see the handful of "Oh my god this is utter poo poo" reactions (No, I am not harping on "relentless negativity" or whatever the catchphrase is; I just didn't expect those who disliked the episode to dislike it so vehemently).

While it sorta plays into the "this week's episode of Clara Oswald guest starring Peter Capaldi as The Doctor" problem, I LOVE the narrative device of the Doctor letting humanity make its own decision and not being "the man with the plan" every time. I was reminded of Beast Below, and how differently this episode handled things. I was a bit disappointed by the trite "Oh the eggshell is fine, and here's a new moon" ending, but then actual ending of Clara and the Doctor's fight, followed by Clara and Danny's conversation...drat good television.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The thing that bothers me the most about this episode even more than the impossibilities of the egg being laid immediately was the fact that if they let the bombs go off, the Doctor would have let them be vapourised. While I've been enjoying the harsher Doctor that Peter Capaldi portrays, that is just too far.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

SirSamVimes posted:

The thing that bothers me the most about this episode even more than the impossibilities of the egg being laid immediately was the fact that if they let the bombs go off, the Doctor would have let them be vapourised. While I've been enjoying the harsher Doctor that Peter Capaldi portrays, that is just too far.

He would have materialised the tardis around them at the split second before detonation.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
So I guess the moon from 'The Moonbase' and 'The Seeds Of Death' was actually Egg 2.0, then? You'd think Two might have noticed.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

SirSamVimes posted:

I was going to complain about that but looked back and figured that he must have already knew what was going to happen. He materialized after the countdown would have ended because he knew that they didn't use the nukes.

edit: Or he beamed down somewhere to watch and see what choice was made, ready to beam back up either right before or right after the bomb was set to go off, depending on what choice was made. Or any number of other possibilities, he does have the ability to pop in and out anywhere and anywhen, after all.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I think the start of the episode was a bit shaky, but by the time they got to the point where everyone knew what was going on and it was time to talk about it, it picked up immensely. The silly stuff with the yo-yo and cleaning agent left, they managed to find good ways to handle the fact they have a teenager on board, and the bacteria-spiders left the main focus alone. Before that point it was a kind of lackluster space-action-horror episode, but after that it clearly knew what it wanted to be, and became something worth having strong feelings about, be they positive or negative.

The only thing that really got me about it was the whole 'turn your lights on/off' way of making the decision. It's a clever way to solve things, but it just wouldn't work out the way the characters are claiming it would. The lights you see from space aren't people's porch lights or living room windows; they're street lamps, public buildings, landmarks and cities. 'The population of Earth' isn't in control of that vote, the power companies are, and judging by the fact huge swaths of the Earth shut their lights off simultaneously, that fact was abundantly clear to someone on staff. I suppose it would've been worse if they listened to that vote instead of ultimately disregarding it, but I found it kind of hard to buy that solution being treated like it was.

As an aside, this is the third episode of this season that focused a lot more on the interpersonal elements of the plot while the monster got massively sidelined, standing with Listen and The Caretaker before it. I wonder if that's going to be a theme this season.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Cliff Racer posted:

The Doctor wasn't respecting humanity's right at all. He dropped two time travelers in on the expedition which had already made its decision, when they failed to get their way they had the entire Earth vote and when Earth voted against them Clara said gently caress that and overruled them anyway. Then the Doctor showed up and congratulated everyone on making their decision. The smart decision would have been killing the space dragon and thats what I wished would have happened.

Here's what I wondered, and it would have been a great thing to touch on if only they'd thought of it. Who controls the lights? Seems to me like a bloke with, let's say, a direct line to a number of power stations, might be at a distinct advantage in the voting process.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The episode didn't really work for me (apart from Clara calling out the Doctor at the end which was great). As soon as the intro did the "choose between an innocent life and the future of humanity", I immediately (and correctly) assumed they'd end up negating the dilemma by getting both, which made it hard to take their agonising seriously.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I couldn't give a poo poo about Clara's drama with the Doctor so everything revolving around it this season has been loving dire. Mainly because whenever she's on screen with Danny they appear to be written as two mentally disabled people in an after school sitcom. I'm sorry guys but I much prefered the more grounded, kitchen sink drama of RTD's companions to the after thought that was Amy/Rory or the sitcom that is Clara's.

I thought the moon looked good though this episode. It was one of the few this season where it wasn't evident that were one more budget cut away from designing alien backdrops with fuzzy felt.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I'm wondering if they aren't trying to set up a scenario where this new "First Doctor" is going to travel with a schoolgirl and two teachers from Coal Hill School?

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Astroman posted:

I'm wondering if they aren't trying to set up a scenario where this new "First Doctor" is going to travel with a schoolgirl and two teachers from Coal Hill School?

Woah.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

PriorMarcus posted:

I thought the moon looked good though this episode. It was one of the few this season where it wasn't evident that were one more budget cut away from designing alien backdrops with fuzzy felt.

I didn't get this feeling from any of the previous episodes (Robot of Sherwood had it a bit, I guess), but it's a bit funny that you thought the moon was the best-looking setting of the season. The moon is notoriously easy to pull off, since it's just grey rocks.

The BBC Quarry never fails, I suppose.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Cleretic posted:

I didn't get this feeling from any of the previous episodes (Robot of Sherwood had it a bit, I guess), but it's a bit funny that you thought the moon was the best-looking setting of the season. The moon is notoriously easy to pull off, since it's just grey rocks.

The BBC Quarry never fails, I suppose.

They went to Lanzarote to film, so it's a little more than a quarry, and they did a good job with the colour correction/sky replacement too. Even the shots of the bases/space shuttle looked good. Unlike the spaceships in Dalek or the interior of the Dalek itself in that episode where composite lines were visible through out.

And the robot from last episode was just inexcusably bad.

Yeah, it's easier to do the moon than a Dalek interior, but it's a professional TV show with a massive budget.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

a massive budget.

On the other hand we know Moffatt isn't someone who is able to use a budget to it's best effect.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

BSam posted:

On the other hand we know Moffatt isn't someone who is able to use a budget to it's best effect.

This is true, which is another reason why I was impressed this episode.

The Teller was also an amazing costume, but nearly everything else from that episode was just passable.

Also, I don't think it helps that I'm able to recognize a lot of the stock effects they use from working in the industry. For example the time vortex portal they used last episode to trap the robot.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

PriorMarcus posted:

Also, I don't think it helps that I'm able to recognize a lot of the stock effects they use from working in the industry. For example the time vortex portal they used last episode to trap the robot.

Yeah, this is probably what's doing it for you. I don't have industry experience, but I think they use the same sound library that City of Heroes did, and I do sometimes get jerked to attention by the fact one of the sounds they use for the TARDIS was one used for a few powers in CoH.

Striking Yak
Dec 31, 2012
The decision presented was "should we blow up this thing we only learned existed an hour ago and re-form the Moon, or risk the survival of the entire human race?". How is that even a discussion? Blow up the space dragon. Clara essentially decided to genocide the entirety of humanity.

And that "my granny used to post on Tumblr" line doesn't really make sense if it was 2049. Astronaut lady looked ~40, so she was born in, say, 2010 to be generous. So her mother would've been born, at the very earliest, in the mid-late 90s. Grandma was on Tumblr before it even existed?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
It's a shame he didn't mention Rory punching Hitler in the face.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Striking Yak posted:

The decision presented was "should we blow up this thing we only learned existed an hour ago and re-form the Moon, or risk the survival of the entire human race?". How is that even a discussion? Blow up the space dragon. Clara essentially decided to genocide the entirety of humanity.

And that "my granny used to post on Tumblr" line doesn't really make sense if it was 2049. Astronaut lady looked ~40, so she was born in, say, 2010 to be generous. So her mother would've been born, at the very earliest, in the mid-late 90s. Grandma was on Tumblr before it even existed?

People didn't often die in childbirth in the 90s. It is possible for human females to still continue to interact with the world after spawning.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Striking Yak posted:

I know people alive today whose grannies post on tumblr. People dont have to be born after a thing in order to use that thing.

Striking Yak
Dec 31, 2012

Plavski posted:

People didn't often die in childbirth in the 90s. It is possible for human females to still continue to interact with the world after spawning.

That's true, and I was being a bit nitpicky, it just seemed like granny was out of the general age range for Tumblr. The line stood out to me as trying to shoehorn in a reference that didn't really fit with the time.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
You know what my other beef with this episode is? The Doctor's shirt. Good God, that's a hideous shirt.

Sort it out, Doctor.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Barry Foster posted:

You know what my other beef with this episode is? The Doctor's shirt. Good God, that's a hideous shirt.

Sort it out, Doctor.

Oh god, it was horrible. One of the worst things the Doctor has worn in the revival.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Barry Foster posted:

Sort it out, Doctor.

The new spacesuits looked amazing though.

And yeah, the new costume is okay, it's not as good as it looked in the promo pictures because whatever grading they are applying to the image washes it out too much and makes the darker colours look a little muddy.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'

Barry Foster posted:

Sort it out, Doctor.

Sort it, or abort it.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Was there a deleted scene? When she was speaking to NASA and asked if they could broadcast their message around the world, she kinda left out the whole the moons an egg thing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ak Gara posted:

Was there a deleted scene? When she was speaking to NASA and asked if they could broadcast their message around the world, she kinda left out the whole the moons an egg thing.

It's like that line in novels where they say "I told him/her about what had happened" instead of summarizing the past 20 pages on screen.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Barry Foster posted:

Sort it out, Doctor.

Further fuel for my 'going full Colin Baker' theory.

PriorMarcus posted:

The new spacesuits looked amazing though.

And yeah, the new costume is okay, it's not as good as it looked in the promo pictures because whatever grading they are applying to the image washes it out too much and makes the darker colours look a little muddy.

I'm glad they've finally got some new stock spacesuits that aren't being reused from The Impossible Planet. It kind of made sense for the Doctor to keep his around (and the fact he reused it in Hide was a nice touch), but the fact he suddenly had abunch of them was a bit weird. Whatever happened to the suits from Silence in the Library?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm glad they've finally got some new stock spacesuits that aren't being reused from The Impossible Planet. It kind of made sense for the Doctor to keep his around (and the fact he reused it in Hide was a nice touch), but the fact he suddenly had abunch of them was a bit weird. Whatever happened to the suits from Silence in the Library?

They have one on display in Cardiff. Also, the suit that Matt Smith wore for the opening of The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe hasn't been seen again.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yvonmukluk posted:

Further fuel for my 'going full Colin Baker' theory.

I'm honestly amazed how much mileage they've gotten out of that drat spacesuit, though I thought having two more pop up just for this episode was a bit too much.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

That was an ok episode. I know many people here would disagree with my rankings, but I'd put it above Deep Breath and Time Heist, below everything else this season.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
For the past four episodes, I've really been getting a Berman-era Star Trek vibe, and I can't exactly place why.

Really, really enjoyed this one. It's about time they showed that normal human beings would have a loving nervous breakdown at half the poo poo the Doctor puts them through. It should happen more often.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

HD DAD posted:

For the past four episodes, I've really been getting a Berman-era Star Trek vibe, and I can't exactly place why.

You mean like Voyager and Enterprise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I think I could perhaps get to like the new Doctor and the interesting new angle he's going if the stories were not so loving retarded.

• Locked thread