Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

greatn posted:

I didn't really like Viewtiful Joe that much either. Honestly, I haven't played a Platinum game I enjoyed.

Alright, but have you played Vanquish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

JordanKai posted:

Alright, but have you played Vanquish?

I have not? Is that the cover shooter with like a robot dog and you have rocket slides? Cause that game looks really cool. But all Platinum games LOOK really cool , they're just not fun for me to play.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

greatn posted:

I have not? Is that the cover shooter with like a robot dog and you have rocket slides? Cause that game looks really cool. But all Platinum games LOOK really cool , they're just not fun for me to play.

Yeah, that's the one! I have a hard time getting into Platinum Games titles as well but Vanquish really clicked with me. I'd say it's the closest they've gotten so far to making a flawless product. It's also different from their other games in that none of its mechanics are arcane or might come across as counter-intuitive. It's a good pick-up-and-play game that's also very easy to get better at as long as you're willing to put some thought and effort into it. I highly recommend it! :)

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The robot dog was MG Rising.

Vanquish is a shooter, so it feels a bit different from the combo-heavy juggle fighting in DMC, Bayo, W101, MGR. Not a bad thing, just a bit distinct from those.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

just curious, why are some wii u game cases red instead of blue?

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

ethanol posted:

In any example I can think of it's because they're Mario-related.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Nintendo does this for their most popular stuff like Mario Kart. No reason beyond it looking different.

Can we make a separate Platinum Games thread where people can get castigated for having the gaul to not be madly in love with every game from Platinum instead of the constant "Well yeah I guess that's okay but but but did you try....." that keeps happening in the Wii U threads?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I've only played the DS sequel regarding the GBA Castlevanias. Are they as good as that one?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Aria of Sorrow is IMO one of the best Castlevania games, if only because it's very reminiscent of Symphony of the Night.

However I can't make a post in the Wii U thread without having a completely rear end-backwards opinion so let me continue this post by going on the record and saying I don't like Circle of the Moon but I like Harmony of Dissonance.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Nintendo does this for their most popular stuff like Mario Kart. No reason beyond it looking different.

Can we make a separate Platinum Games thread where people can get castigated for having the gaul to not be madly in love with every game from Platinum instead of the constant "Well yeah I guess that's okay but but but did you try....." that keeps happening in the Wii U threads?

We have a separate Platinum Games thread already. People like to talk about Platinum elsewhere, because Platinum is a good company that makes good games.

And it's "gall." You learned two things today!

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
If you play Vanquish as a cover shooter you are doing it wrong

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

I never finished Aria of Sorrow so I'll probably be picking that up. Never played the Circle of the Moon or Harmony of Dissonance though.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

ethanol posted:

New Super Luigi U is green.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

allfrogs247 posted:

I never finished Aria of Sorrow so I'll probably be picking that up. Never played the Circle of the Moon or Harmony of Dissonance though.

Circle of the Moon has its own flavour compared to the other GBA/DS 'vanias, but a major part of that flavour is that it's bat crap hard. It feels a bit more like the 16-bit 'vania games than SOTN, for some reason.

Harmony of Dissonance is weird and floaty and probably on the bottom of my list of the portable Metroidvanias. It's still worth playing, but doesn't really stand out in any category when compared to the others.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Jetfire posted:

Circle of the Moon has its own flavour compared to the other GBA/DS 'vanias, but a major part of that flavour is that it's bat crap hard. It feels a bit more like the 16-bit 'vania games than SOTN, for some reason.

Harmony of Dissonance is weird and floaty and probably on the bottom of my list of the portable Metroidvanias. It's still worth playing, but doesn't really stand out in any category when compared to the others.

Ah, okay. Circle of the Moon actually sounds a bit more like my thing. I kinda prefer that older style of Castlevania (even though I'm not terribly good at them).

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

allfrogs247 posted:

Ah, okay. Circle of the Moon actually sounds a bit more like my thing. I kinda prefer that older style of Castlevania (even though I'm not terribly good at them).

More like the older Castlevanias in that your character is a bit on the stiff side and doesn't have the smooth movements of later games. It was the first attempt to try the SotN formula again, before the term 'Metroidvania' even existed. It is pretty drat hard though, since all your special abilities are based on semi-random item drops. I remember it being particularly bad for me, since I only got like 2 base ability cards and then the rest being different whip types.

Also remember back in 2001, we all had to play it on a non-lit GBA. The game is amazingly dim since the developers supposedly failed to test the drat thing on an actual GBA, leading to palette choices that seemed downright mean.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Ziddar posted:

More like the older Castlevanias in that your character is a bit on the stiff side and doesn't have the smooth movements of later games. It was the first attempt to try the SotN formula again, before the term 'Metroidvania' even existed. It is pretty drat hard though, since all your special abilities are based on semi-random item drops. I remember it being particularly bad for me, since I only got like 2 base ability cards and then the rest being different whip types.

Also remember back in 2001, we all had to play it on a non-lit GBA. The game is amazingly dim since the developers supposedly failed to test the drat thing on an actual GBA, leading to palette choices that seemed downright mean.

Yeah, I'd heard about the lighting issue back when the game was new which is part of the reason I never played it back then. I don't know. I may check it out after I buy/replay Aria. I've been meaning to catch up on some of the handheld games I missed anyway, but that's good to know going in.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah it lead to Harmony of Dissonance having super washed out colors and a ugly looking grow around the main character and bosses.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

It still amazes me that a non-backlit GBA managed to get released. The lack of one was the number one complaint about the Gameboy series since the GBC came out, and they wasted the most comfortable GBA form factor on the bad screen. (Not knocking the SP - the clamshell design was great, but a backlit original model GBA would have kicked rear end.)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Oxxidation posted:

We have a separate Platinum Games thread already. People like to talk about Platinum elsewhere, because Platinum is a good company that makes good games.

And it's "gall." You learned two things today!

Only a french-germanic barbarian could dislike Metal Gear Rising.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

So I give up on my external hard drive. Y-cable doesn't really seem to cut it. I'm gonna pick up one with its own power source instead.

Anyone have any recommendations for externals? I'm going all digital with the Wii U so I'd like something a decent size... but also Wii U games really aren't that big. Probably around 500GB-1TB? Depends on prices I guess.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

Here's the general Platinum Games thread

I was all dramatic earlier, but I'm fine with people legitimately disliking Platinum's stuff.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Kaubocks posted:

So I give up on my external hard drive. Y-cable doesn't really seem to cut it. I'm gonna pick up one with its own power source instead.

Anyone have any recommendations for externals? I'm going all digital with the Wii U so I'd like something a decent size... but also Wii U games really aren't that big. Probably around 500GB-1TB? Depends on prices I guess.

If you're getting one terabyte, might as well go for 2, since the price increase is negligible. Also, there are some drat big Wii U games, like Tropical Freeze. And given the big handful of E3-announced titles coming over the next year, there's no reason not to grab a 2tb drive

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

I'm gonna' add this into the OP, since the Wii U has a second game from Platinum on the way and the one we've already got is stellar.

allfrogs247 posted:

That may well be, although as I played it, I felt that the "newer" Castlevania elements in CotM were, at times, at odds with the rest of the gameplay.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Level Slide posted:

Here's the general Platinum Games thread

I was all dramatic earlier, but I'm fine with people legitimately disliking Platinum's stuff.

I'm not :colbert:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

ethanol posted:

I thought maybe it was a "first print" kind of deal, but as someone else said, I've only noticed it on Mario-centric games. When I went to buy 3D World (at Target,) the employee had to get it out of a case for me. The case for my copy is standard Wii U blue, but the one behind it on the shelf was red.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Kaubocks posted:

Before spending another $60, try a USB to wall plug converter that cost $2?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I found Bayonetta to be a mechanically sound brawler with a terrible, nauseating plot. I know its "meant" to be that way, but I seriously regret not skipping the cutscenes. I admired Viewtiful Joe more than I liked it, and found the difficulty to be quite off-putting.

But Vanquish? One of the best games of the last generation, bursting with energy and life. It is the best cover shooter of all time: by constantly encouraging you to get out of cover.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Some searches have left me with the conclusion that Bayonetta is dlc in America, not an extra disc like in Japan and Europe. That's a major disappointment.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Bayonetta is most definitely included in with Bayonetta 2 as it's own separate disc in America. It was confirmed by Nintendo of America after several weeks of confusion. I'd provide a link to the statement but I'm mobile and copy and pasting links is a real hassle.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Moriatti posted:

Before spending another $60, try a USB to wall plug converter that cost $2?

You know, I actually have one lying around but didn't try it because I am a huge idiot. I'll test it later tonight. Thanks!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

the truth posted:

Some searches have left me with the conclusion that Bayonetta is dlc in America, not an extra disc like in Japan and Europe. That's a major disappointment.

It's an extra disc that comes with every copy of the game, just like in Japan.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Circle of the Moon was the most memorable GBA game for me. I like the stiffness and the atmosphere was good. I played it on my non-backlit GBA on a transatlantic flight, next to the window so I could at least see the screen.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Tested plugging my external into an outlet using a y-cable and that didn't do the trick either. Guess I'm gonna have to shell out for an external with its own power source. :sigh:

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
My local Shopko has (had I picked one up) two Zelda bundle Wii U's in stock. Is there decent demand for these still? Seems like it from ebay

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Questions before I take the plunge on an external for the Wii U:

1) The Wii U requires the whole hard drive, right? Like, I can't partition 1TB to be for Wii U games and then use the other 1TB for computer things. That's what I think I read, anyway.

2) If I eventually want to use the external for something else, is it possible to just reformat the external and use it on my computer as if it was brand new? Or is it always condemned to be a Wii U hard drive?

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Thanks for the clarification about the disc for Bayonetta. There were conflicting reports from multiple sources, and I thought I found one from an old Nintendo Direct or official Facebook post that said it would be DLC.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Kaubocks posted:

Questions before I take the plunge on an external for the Wii U:

1) The Wii U requires the whole hard drive, right? Like, I can't partition 1TB to be for Wii U games and then use the other 1TB for computer things. That's what I think I read, anyway.

2) If I eventually want to use the external for something else, is it possible to just reformat the external and use it on my computer as if it was brand new? Or is it always condemned to be a Wii U hard drive?

Correct on both counts; the Wii u will format the entire drive, but if you want you can always reformat it with a PC and use it with your computer.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Cool. As long as I can reformat I should be fine. Didn't want to spend a chunk of change on permanent Wii U storage I'd probably never fill. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

People should welcome Platinum into their lives of their own choice, not of ours.

Insha'Kamiya

• Locked thread