Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Already posted two pages ago, ya feeb. :cmon:

I'll admit I'm missing the joke here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

PJOmega posted:

I'll admit I'm missing the joke here.

The child is the one named Antony.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Someone, probably the colorist, has given the wrong character the word balloon.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

Captain Bravo posted:

Someone, probably the colorist, has given the wrong character the word balloon.

The... colorist?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I was making a quip referring to the debacle with Injustice one and the way the colorist hosed everything up :v:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Say Nothing posted:

Why are you posting weird fan art?

Oh, right.
Penders.

Gah!

Good god... the man would be laughed off of DeviantArt.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Senior Woodchuck posted:

This explains so much.

Wonder if there's an alternate universe where Joe Kennedy Jr. survived WWII and Jack ended up in the CIA.

They'd still be trying to find "Cuber" on the map.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Wow - lovely writing and lovely art.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mister Mind posted:

Wow - lovely writing and lovely art.

Welcome to the New 52.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

TheJoker138 posted:

Welcome to the New 52.

Injustice isn't part of the New 52.

Also, I don't see what's wrong with the panel.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

General Ironicus posted:

At least Ken Penders surely learned from that and didn't make the same mistake twice.

Oh dear.

I have no idea who Ken Penders is, but I can tell that I hate him on principle.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
He used to draw Sonic Comics, but unlike the deviantartists who do this, he got paid to do it and had them published.

Then, Sega decided they wanted to go a different direction and he reacted just like any deviantartist with the 'Original character Do Not Steal' defence on anything he drew that hadn't appeared in a game. 'Robo-Robotnik? He's my intelluectual property.'

And because the original consracts were lost in a fire and photocopies aren't acceptable in court is all turned into a massive clusterfuck.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
There is actually a fairly solid multiple-page explanation and breakdown of exactly how awful Penders is both of his art and his person. It's lost in the forum somewhere. It might be in the 'awful runs' thread and it's worth tracking down. A combination of huge ego, dire art and writing ability, and the comic equivalent of an absentee landlord let him lay waste to the sonic comic and it's hilarious.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Pierson posted:

There is actually a fairly solid multiple-page explanation and breakdown of exactly how awful Penders is both of his art and his person. It's lost in the forum somewhere. It might be in the 'awful runs' thread and it's worth tracking down. A combination of huge ego, dire art and writing ability, and the comic equivalent of an absentee landlord let him lay waste to the sonic comic and it's hilarious.

Yeah, Onmi wrote up a ton about it, starting here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3562522&pagenumber=26&perpage=40#post425825129 (really starts on his next post), which continues through most of page 27

And apparently there are dozens of multiverse versions of all the characters, so we get things like Rasta Knuckles:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
You're good people Ror.

I'm gonna read it again because god drat.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I believe Ken Penders is what you would get if you tried to combine a Chris Claremont impersonator with Christian Weston Chandler.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

I believe Ken Penders is what you would get if you tried to combine a Chris Claremont impersonator with Christian Weston Chandler.

Hey, let's... let's not say things we can't take back.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Gavok posted:

Also, I don't see what's wrong with the panel.

Not anything really, other than the lack of, like, 3/4 profile and that Constantine may be flirting a little too close to Deadpool style commentary.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Ror posted:

Yeah, Onmi wrote up a ton about it, starting here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3562522&pagenumber=26&perpage=40#post425825129 (really starts on his next post), which continues through most of page 27

And apparently there are dozens of multiverse versions of all the characters, so we get things like Rasta Knuckles:

This gives a good sample of what his Original Characters Do Not Steal campaign involved.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The gently caress is it with Sonic and this poo poo?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

mind the walrus posted:

The gently caress is it with Sonic and this poo poo?

Sonic is like some kind of giant autism magnet, from both sides it seems.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

This gives a good sample of what his Original Characters Do Not Steal campaign involved.

Reminder: every one of these is Knuckles' father or grandfather or whatever back about 12 generations, most are still around somehow (or were before the big reset), and they pretended Knux was the last echidna left alive for most of his life while they chilled in their invisible super-advanced city and did nothing but watch him and complain. They had literally no reason to do this. The Cabal of Secret Grandpas owns so hard.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

The craziest thing is that Ken Penders had almost absolute creative control of a major corporate mascot for over a decade because nobody else cared enough to stop him. Omni summed it up best: Sega did not give a poo poo about what Archie comics was doing so long as the money kept coming. Archie comics was hideously mismanaged (hence, them losing all their legal documents and contracts), so the editor just didn't do anything besides collect a paycheck. And then Penders was a petty tyrant, driving off everyone who tried to work with him, until he had the seniority to be calling the shots.

If Sonic 2006 hadn't been such an utter bomb to Sonic's IP value, he might even have held on longer. I bet Disney has nightmares about something like that happening in its IP farms.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
And yet it's still not quite as batshit insane as the official Brazilian Megaman Manga, who once had an artist/writer who planned to kill off every Megaman character and keep the book going with his own stuff.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Mr. Maltose posted:

And yet it's still not quite as batshit insane as the official Brazilian Megaman Manga, who once had an artist/writer who planned to kill off every Megaman character and keep the book going with his own stuff.

:frogon:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

You can read all about it here.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Mr. Maltose posted:

Was that the comic where Light and Wily built Roll using the brain of a child they kidnapped and murdered?

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
BEHOLD! The magnificent Topless McFarlane in its native habitat:

From the "Famous Comic Book Creators" card set, circa 1992.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Precambrian posted:

I bet Disney has nightmares about something like that happening in its IP farms.

Long forgotten, deep beneath the earth is a bunker built during the Cold War. In it is a pedestal with a single red button on it. Pushing that button will destroy the entire planet.

Disney's Executives will gladly push that button before they would accept losing control of a single piece of IP.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Precambrian posted:

The craziest thing is that Ken Penders had almost absolute creative control of a major corporate mascot for over a decade because nobody else cared enough to stop him. Omni summed it up best: Sega did not give a poo poo about what Archie comics was doing so long as the money kept coming. Archie comics was hideously mismanaged (hence, them losing all their legal documents and contracts), so the editor just didn't do anything besides collect a paycheck. And then Penders was a petty tyrant, driving off everyone who tried to work with him, until he had the seniority to be calling the shots.

If Sonic 2006 hadn't been such an utter bomb to Sonic's IP value, he might even have held on longer. I bet Disney has nightmares about something like that happening in its IP farms.

It still cracks me up that the main reason Penders lost control of the comic was that the suits at Sega saw a cover with Sonic :qq: over a marriage invitation on it and realized "Holy poo poo what has been going on in these comics?" and basically told Archie to get their poo poo together or lose the license.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Long forgotten, deep beneath the earth is a bunker built during the Cold War. In it is a pedestal with a single red button on it. Pushing that button will destroy the entire planet.

Disney's Executives will gladly push that button before they would accept losing control of a single piece of IP.

The three most highly guarded secrets in the world are, in order:

3.) The US's nuclear launch codes
2.) The formula to Coca-Cola
1.) The rights to Mickey Mouse.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

dordreff posted:

Was that the comic where Light and Wily built Roll using the brain of a child they kidnapped and murdered?
Also she's a nudist.

I'm guessing Capcom did a collective spit-take when they saw this comic.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

OldTennisCourt posted:

It still cracks me up that the main reason Penders lost control of the comic was that the suits at Sega saw a cover with Sonic :qq: over a marriage invitation on it and realized "Holy poo poo what has been going on in these comics?" and basically told Archie to get their poo poo together or lose the license.

The loss.jpg of Sonic media.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

TwoPair posted:

The three most highly guarded secrets in the world are, in order:

3.) The US's nuclear launch codes

TwoPair posted:

2.) The formula to Coca-Cola

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola_formula . They've modified it since they used some of these formulas, but they're out there.

TwoPair posted:

1.) The rights to Mickey Mouse.

Here you go.

Next, I will find out all of your dirty secrets!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Now what's the Colonel's secret recipe?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Why do kids love cinnamon toast crunch?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Uthor posted:

Now what's the Colonel's secret recipe?

It's people.

AnonSpore posted:

Why do kids love cinnamon toast crunch?

Same answer.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Marcus is an underaged kid in Vegas who did a ton of acid.

Deadly Class #5

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

funtax posted:

If you showed me that pic of Roy Thomas and informed me he was the drummer for Yes or Asia or Triumph back in the day, I would have not argued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

funtax posted:

George Perez has Crazy Eyes. And were all these pictures taken around the same time? Roy Thomas (as noted) looks like he's come to visit from the past.

• Locked thread