Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Really disappointing, I burnt through 25 red orbs tonight and got 7 actual fights for it. Why wouldn't you get the orb back when a host disconnects? Heck the invader should be given a free orb whenever a host disconnects, the more people disconnect on you the more you get to invade!

About how many corrossive urns does it take to break someones rings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Too many. It's not worth using them unless you really want to dedicate yourself to that gimmick.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Scraping spear would be a godsend in this game.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Oh I'm not so excited about it any more then -- prefer the dragon greatsword.

All those weapons at least look solid though. Good job From.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
Oh wow, corrosive urns only deal 2 durability damage to rings. Maybe next AFK I'll try punching/casting warmth. Do I hear a sound when his rings break or is that only for the ring of life protection?

On a related note, there's this delightful "PVP video" from the same person who made the DSP "This is how you don't play Dark Souls 2" video. The ending is the best. :allears:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Sanctum posted:

Oh wow, corrosive urns only deal 2 durability damage to rings. Maybe next AFK I'll try punching/casting warmth. Do I hear a sound when his rings break or is that only for the ring of life protection?

On a related note, there's this delightful "PVP video" from the same person who made the DSP "This is how you don't play Dark Souls 2" video. The ending is the best. :allears:

How do you cause the slowdown effect that the invader is using? Looks like some kind of throwing item.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Alabaster White posted:

How do you cause the slowdown effect that the invader is using? Looks like some kind of throwing item.

Spider Fangs R2.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Iretep posted:

Spider Fangs R2.

Oh? I never used it because I assumed it would be poo poo, but the effect looks really powerful and it's even a projectile... I know what I'm doing from now on :cawg:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Reported for cheating :lol:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Grinding the flexile sentry's NG+ adds for their armor, weapons, or helmet is a gigantic pain in the rear end. I just wanna be a mummy for halloween dammit! :argh:

Read
Dec 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Grinding the flexile sentry's NG+ adds for their armor, weapons, or helmet is a gigantic pain in the rear end. I just wanna be a mummy for halloween dammit! :argh:

Grinding is bad and dumb, which is why we have cheating! :eng101:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I know, but I at least wanted to try doing it legitimately first.

It was a bad idea.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Well I guess I'm done with PVP now since everyone will be doing that. It's been a fun ride.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Is there any weapons that are similar to the estoc for reach and moveset but I dunno... better? more interesting? just different?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Not sure how you can do DSP mocking videos if your PvP sessions go like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LjAZa3p9rQ

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Fargin Icehole posted:

That's the first legit use of acid surge I've seen.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

I'm not saying that's what From is doing, but it's definitely possible. If they're smart, they're watching tallgeese's logs and working to patch the exploits he finds before they spread too far (okay, it's pretty clear they're dropping the ball on a lot of them, but who knows what kind of skeleton crew they have on post-launch content).

Actually, funny enough they did hit something I used.

I used to be able to stick the Shulva Ghost effect on myself, along with a variety of enemy auras for cosmetic use.

The first thing is dangerous, because it allows someone to be basically invincible. I edited it so I had none of the defensive powers, but showed up as a human whose covenant aura was not suppressed.

Two other people were not so generous, though I smacked them around ingame to the point where one of them CEs their HP to 0 when they see me. For some reason they refused to lose to me by Alt-F4ing, so one encounter lasted a while with them completely paralyzed.

What From did in response was to make it so a player could apparently not equip enemy effects whose numbers start with a certain number, all such effects on the player are suppressed.

This is rather unfortunate, as I can no longer have pretty auras (I'm going to miss the purple ones), but I'll live. Right now I only have a gold aura and a black aura, but it's just not the same.

The rub is that it's a completely pointless gesture. You can still be invincible by using some stupid infinite HP script. You can still crash people by changing your name.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

How have I never seen this before. Very funny slow burn.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7iVXAbnIls&list=UUR3DTFdJ7Is40OT7WwTN6yA
How can you live like this?

Please tell me this is satire

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There is no way to permanently stop hacking in PC video games, especially Dark Souls and DS2, but it's From's responsibility as a developer to try and patch anything they find that the player shouldn't be able to do. That's not to say cheating is wrong or whatever, just that you can't fault them for trying. :shrug:

I don't care if this is their genuine reaction or if this person is faking it, I hate them for even bothering either way.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 5, 2014

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

CJacobs posted:

There is no way to permanently stop hacking in PC video games, especially Dark Souls and DS2, but it's From's responsibility as a developer to try and patch anything they find that the player shouldn't be able to do. That's not to say cheating is wrong or whatever, just that you can't fault them for trying. :shrug:

I can blame them when I can fix a crash exploit (done while disguised as me no less) with around ten lines of assembly and five minutes of work, while they're putzing around with removing harmless barrel armor.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

argondamn posted:

Please tell me this is satire

I'd normally say people can't be that stupid but I've met too many people.
Most likely some bad troll, though.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.

IGgy IGsen posted:

I'd normally say people can't be that stupid but I've met too many people.
Most likely some bad troll, though.

It's some sperg who's worked out he can get more channel views by deliberately being obtuse about popular games. He has one about xcom which shows him failing the tutorial by refusing to click the right mouse button at the on screen prompt.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

RabidWeasel posted:

It has the typical "stabby greatsword" moveset (except the 1HR2 which is the same as the Bastard Sword) with a different 2HR1 and R2. That thing about the longsword stab isn't exactly correct, it has the same rolling R1 as a lot of other greatswords IIRC, maybe it's a little faster. I'm not sure about the stamina drain, it felt average for a GS, not super low like the Bastard Sword and Watcher GS - I should check that more precisely.
Nope! I tested it. On 200 Stamina, the Bastard Sword and Loyce Greatsword can both 1H R1 swing 8 times, but more stamina is left over when the Loyce has swung 8 times. 2H R1, the Loyce Greatsword can do four complete rotations (8 swings) while the Bastard Sword does 7 swings and runs out of stamina.

Having not used the Watcher GS I can't say if it's tied or lower on stamina consumption but the consumption per swing on the Loyce is lower than the Bastard Sword's, 100% sure of it, and thus lower than most other greatswords. And it's longer than the Bastard Sword too.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

OK, I have to ask.

Does the Combustion attack of the Charred Loyce Knights have some unusual attack frame after they are finished?

I seem to get blasted for 1700 damage if I'm standing at their side and moving in to attack after they cast Combustion, but the flames are no longer there.

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008
Could it be that you are getting hit by the fire whip instead of the combustion? The game seems to occasinally not render all of the flame effects properly and the Loyce Knights fire whip is for some reason massively stronger than the player version.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I was expecting a continuous wave of Loyce Knights after I beat the Ivory King. Kinda disappointed in one wave per trip. Either way it's a super fun area that I think they should have made into it's own covenant. There could even be two sides. One side co-ops, the other side uses an orb to spawn through the gates.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Helped five people through the Fume knight this morning. I always groan when I see them summon an NPC phantom though. The cestus one at least has some hp and is a distraction, but the mage is totally useless. All that you are doing is making it harder for us!

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Stokes posted:

I was expecting a continuous wave of Loyce Knights after I beat the Ivory King. Kinda disappointed in one wave per trip. Either way it's a super fun area that I think they should have made into it's own covenant. There could even be two sides. One side co-ops, the other side uses an orb to spawn through the gates.

They will keep spawning, it just takes a long while.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Fargin Icehole posted:

DSP is still worse. The medieval incapacity for adaptability or experiment, faking figuring things out personally after he reads them in the chat, using the same loving gear he got two hours into the game, belching, R1 spam that gets him hit, estus spam that gets him hit, it's like watching a Mongolian peasant loaded up on Haldol trying to figure out relativity. The game is just totally beyond him and it always will be.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

this is the same divinity original sin doesnt explain poo poo lol

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Flytrap posted:

They will keep spawning, it just takes a long while.

If you get summoned as a phantom while you're down there, it'll spawn a new wave once you get back, even if there were still knights left over from the last wave.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

gtrmp posted:

If you get summoned as a phantom while you're down there, it'll spawn a new wave once you get back, even if there were still knights left over from the last wave.

New challenge: get summoned over and over without killing any knights. How many knights can your computer handle?!?!

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
What's the most people you can have in a world? 6? I've seen four when I invaded someone once. Would it be master + 2 summons + 3 invaders? Two invaders max?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I think if you can only have three other people in with you. If you have two whites I think only one red is allowed and vice versa. I've never seen more on the bridge.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Sheep-Goats posted:

I think if you can only have three other people in with you. If you have two whites I think only one red is allowed and vice versa. I've never seen more on the bridge.

do red, grays, and blues all share the same pool? If you were in a belfry could you in theory have 2 whites, 2 grays, 1 red, 1 blue?

I assume invaders all take up a slot regardless of their type.

On that subject though, if you are a sinner, and in the way of blue, will you get a blue sentinel protector? If you get invaded by a red, get a sentinel, then get invaded by an avenging blue, can the blues fight eachother?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

That person is trolling, right? Nobody can be that stupid. He walked right past the door...

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Giant Isopod posted:

do red, grays, and blues all share the same pool? If you were in a belfry could you in theory have 2 whites, 2 grays, 1 red, 1 blue?

I assume invaders all take up a slot regardless of their type.

On that subject though, if you are a sinner, and in the way of blue, will you get a blue sentinel protector? If you get invaded by a red, get a sentinel, then get invaded by an avenging blue, can the blues fight eachother?

Yeah they are all in the same pool. Only three phantoms of any color max + host.

source: fight club hosting

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
Is it me or did FROM kinda over-nerf the whole poise mechanic? Did they even fix phantom hits? It's really hard to tell, but the way fast 2H pokey weapons (rapier/mail breaker/estoc/etc) can poise break anyone is silly. Ideally a moderate amount of poise should be enough to take pokes like that and trade hits with the guy poking.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the way things are over the bullshit that was Dark Souls 1 PVP. Zweilords were the worst, most boring thing. I'd much rather be fighting fast pokey guys than zweilords. I don't even mind being a fast pokey guy myself because I love the rapiers and estocs. Plus since any weapon can poise-break we don't have some zweihander equivalent. If there was any actual trade-off between poise-damage and a weapon's reach/attack speed then, inevitably, one weapon would rise to the top and become the new zweihander. Perhaps poor balance is a blessing because it allows for variety; DS1 showed us 10/10 players* would roll with the same min-max build if it was most effective.

*PC township PVP was incredibly bland, it would be difficult to overstate how prevailing zweihanders and dark magic users were.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Zweihander's weren't that common on PS3 or PC in my experience, probably because it was really hard to use effectively since anyone decent would just toggle then parry or BS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I assume you know that poise only works while you're attacking now, right? If you're walking or standing any hit will stagger you. This is a huge improvement over Da1 as waking through swings for a backstab was 70-90% of PVP for probably 50% of the PVP population then.

Poise wasn't a thing in Demons, then it was the most important thing in Da1, now it's kind of important in Da2. They're as close to getting it right as they have been. In my opinion the major issue is that the bonuses to poise damage are too great for two handing -- there should be a bonus but not as much as it is now. With that said no amount of poise should be able to stand up to a 2H great club or great sword.

Also I think they should make the poise bar visible. And further nerf the protective capacity of heavy armor.