Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

Yet if they'd actually executed the lot of them, we would've missed out on the season that revitalized the show.

And aside from not allowing the heroes to actually kill a guy in cold blood, they had a reason: they had no idea why the hell Zaheer and friends tried kidnapping Korra. All those years of sticking them in prison was trying to get them to break and reveal what their cause was.

This makes sense, but at the same time, having a brain-washed avatar to do your bidding is plenty of motivation for the kidnapping. When someone robs a bank, you don't bother asking what they were planning to buy.

thexerox123 posted:

Probably for the same reasons that many countries/societies in the real world don't practice capital punishment?

Yeah, but those countries also have laws against cruel and unsual punishments, and I'd say being locked in a volcanoe and given just enough water to keep you from dying qualifies as that. It's safe to say no one was concerned for the well being of those prisoners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Poison Mushroom posted:

I just watched the first episode of Season 4 today, and in general, I feel like this season is competent but less... textured. There's not as much attention to detail, not nearly as many little things that you might miss on the first go-through that hint as to the bigger picture. Not showing the Squirrelbenders as tired and ragged is just one example. This feels like they're repeating some of the mistakes of AtLA Season 1 all over again. There's nothing to pay attention to aside from the direct plot on the screen, and that bothers me, because it gives me the impression that they don't know where they're going with the season. I really hope I'm wrong, but I'm just getting the impression that the producers simply haven't grokked their own story.

TL;DR ATLA Season 2 and 3 were really good at least partially because of the Iceberg Theory. It feels like they've forgotten that.

This seems like a totally fair and reasonable judgment to make after one episode.

I don't really give a gently caress about this show but I think it's really funny how some of you can't wait more than one episode before diagnosing flaws with the entire season.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
LOK: Teaching children to see the merits of the death penalty since 2013.

Ps. Season openers are usually the episodes that have the most attention to detail. Fading the colors of one of the jumpsuits a little bit could have been nice, but we should remember that gliding was made only for rule of cool and you don't want your superheros looking untidy.

Sithsaber fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 5, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Edit: nvm

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 5, 2014

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Sithsaber posted:

LOK: Teaching children to see the merits of the death penalty since 2013.

Really it started with Aang's past lives, "Ozai? I'd kill the fucker and so should you."

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

thexerox123 posted:

Yeah, but even in countries in the real world with the death penalty there are people held in cruel and unusual ways. Just look at Chelsea Manning or Guantanamo Bay.

We know him as Bradley. (Malik Al Shabaz changed his name three times but he is only remembered by the monicker he used when he made a name for himself)

Spoiler Alert: the villain of season 6 will be a genderbender.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Aggressive pricing posted:

This makes sense, but at the same time, having a brain-washed avatar to do your bidding is plenty of motivation for the kidnapping. When someone robs a bank, you don't bother asking what they were planning to buy.

That's the thing, though: until Korra's conversation with Zaheer in the Spirit World in the middle of the season, the heroes quite seriously didn't know anything about their plot, not even the original indoctrination plan.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

thexerox123 posted:

Yeah, but even in countries in the real world with the death penalty there are people held in cruel and unusual ways. Just look at Chelsea Manning or Guantanamo Bay.

That's no excuse, really what it comes down to is the society in AvatarWorld has an insane respect for life, benders are contantly pulling their punches so definitely fatal attacks just sort of bounce off people.

Regalingualius posted:

That's the thing, though: until Korra's conversation with Zaheer in the Spirit World in the middle of the season, the heroes quite seriously didn't know anything about their plot, not even the original indoctrination plan.

But why else kidnap an infant avatar? It doesn't take a genius to guess their plan.

Aggressive pricing fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 5, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Sithsaber posted:

We know him as Bradley.

I'm not even going to address this dumb poo poo.

I edited my post just because I realized that the real-world equivalent existing didn't have much to do with whether they were right to lock those 4 up as they did.

But, I mean, if we lived in a world with bending, our super-max prisons might seem a bit excessive, too.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 5, 2014

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

thexerox123 posted:

I'm not even going to address this dumb poo poo.

I edited my post just because I realized that the real-world equivalent existing didn't have much to do with whether they were right to lock those 4 up as they did.

Ok? I always have a problem with understanding the need for retroactive editing of arguments, especially after you've already been quoted.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Sithsaber posted:

We know him as Bradley.

Spoiler Alert: the villain of season 6 will be a genderbender.

gently caress off.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Sithsaber posted:

Ok? I always have a problem with understanding the need for retroactive editing of arguments, especially after you've already been quoted.

No, I edited it before you replied with a quote. If I had seen that it had been quoted first, I wouldn't have bothered.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 5, 2014

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

DoctorWhat posted:

Needs to gently caress off.

Fixed that for ya.

Ps. You edited out my off topic point behind saying that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Holy poo poo you idiots, do not engage Sithsaber.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

Poison Mushroom posted:

I just watched the first episode of Season 4 today, and in general, I feel like this season is competent but less... textured. There's not as much attention to detail, not nearly as many little things that you might miss on the first go-through that hint as to the bigger picture. Not showing the Squirrelbenders as tired and ragged is just one example. This feels like they're repeating some of the mistakes of AtLA Season 1 all over again. There's nothing to pay attention to aside from the direct plot on the screen, and that bothers me, because it gives me the impression that they don't know where they're going with the season. I really hope I'm wrong, but I'm just getting the impression that the producers simply haven't grokked their own story.

TL;DR ATLA Season 2 and 3 were really good at least partially because of the Iceberg Theory. It feels like they've forgotten that.

I don't know how you could possibly extrapolate this sweeping judgment after one episode.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Why devote a huge amount of resources to keep people alive in the least humane conditions imaginable?

The best answer to this, which I'm surprised no one has said, is 'it's a kid's show, what the gently caress do you expect?'.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

MrAristocrates posted:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tra65h06koA

This thread was fine until you opened the gates of anime. Now we're all critiquing LOK because we can't stop thinking about superior Japanese cartoons.

Ps. To counter aggressive pricing's point, this show has depicted forced conscription and MURDER-SUICIDE! Maybe it would have worked better if the red lotus got to the final prisoner just in time to stop execution by burning?

Sithsaber fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 5, 2014

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Nobody is to blame for Sithsaber except everyone that quotes him.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Jackard posted:

Nobody is to blame for Sithsaber except everyone who pointlessly insults him.

Bye!

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Sydin posted:

Legend of Korra Book 4.44 This Is (Not) A Good Thread.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
First episode was pretty solid world building. New baddie's first scene was pretty great- but after the last season's gang of villians I do hope she has some buddies that tag along.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

EatinCake posted:

First episode was pretty solid world building. New baddie's first scene was pretty great- but after the last season's gang of villians I do hope she has some buddies that tag along.

Varrick and Zhu Li will do a thing.

Harold Cooplowski
Sep 11, 2013

MrAristocrates posted:

"Woah, three new pages in the Korra thread?"

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

EatinCake posted:

Bolin. :smith:

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Harold Cooplowski posted:

"Woah, three new pages in the Korra thread?"

You're welcome.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

EatinCake posted:

A woman with the power to spawn and fire an infinite number of deadly metal discs at people doesn't need a gang.

(she also has an army at her disposal)

(but it doesn't matter because the season's true villain is Korra's self-doubt)

(which Jinora will also inexplicably cure at the last minute)

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Zedd posted:

Bolin. :smith:

Speaking of, anyone remembers this?

http://pjbyrne.tumblr.com/post/97337099923/i-would-have-happily-done-this-for-free-scream

That does not bode well for Bolin, I think. Something really bad is going to happen.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

That's no excuse, really what it comes down to is the society in AvatarWorld has an insane respect for life, benders are contantly pulling their punches so definitely fatal attacks just sort of bounce off people.

it helps when the people in your society are cartoon characters who can survive huge boulders crashing into their torsos

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 5, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Sithsaber posted:

Fixed that for ya.

Ps. You edited out my off topic point behind saying that.

Because your point doesn't make any sense.

Her name is Chelsea and the appropriate pronoun is "she", and if you're taking issue with that then you can eat poo poo because a basic regard for a human being's self-determination is the loving MINIMUM of respect you need to give her or ANYONE else. You went OUT OF YOUR WAY to concoct an excuse to deliberately and loudly misgender her and that's a lovely thing to do.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Korra is awesome, gently caress the haters.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

X_Toad posted:

http://pjbyrne.tumblr.com/post/97337099923/i-would-have-happily-done-this-for-free-scream

That does not bode well for Bolin, I think. Something really bad is going to happen.

PAAAAABUUUUUUUU!!!

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

DoctorWhat posted:

Because your point doesn't make any sense.

Her name is Chelsea and the appropriate pronoun is "she", and if you're taking issue with that then you can eat poo poo because a basic regard for a human being's self-determination is the loving MINIMUM of respect you need to give her or ANYONE else. You went OUT OF YOUR WAY to concoct an excuse to deliberately and loudly misgender her and that's a lovely thing to do.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5u7IHY0sH94

We're not talking respect, we're talking notoriety. On top of that I've got problems with the reductionism inherent in third wave gender politics.

This is off topic and should stop before the mods pounce me.

Sithsaber fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 5, 2014

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Irish Joe posted:

(she also has an army at her disposal)
Eh, faceless goon armies aren't as interesting as unique master benders that get at least a little defining background.

That said, Amon's lietuent was a cool dude.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

PupsOfWar posted:

it helps when the people in your society are cartoon characters who can survive huge boulders crashing into their torsos
That earthbender pitfighting looked pretty brutal but I guess it's not so bad??

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

X_Toad posted:

I'm not so sure. These writers do like to use Bolin's pain as comic relief--see the Eska relationship, Korra relationship, etc. Plus, PJ Byrne was smiling and seeming to have a lot of fun--kind of incongruous for a serious scene. I do think Bolin's going to go through a lot this season and grow up a lot but I wouldn't take this as evidence on its own.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Kai's going to see sword dude in the earth bender army, Opal believes him, they get captured, Bolin has to go hero again. It's cool

Harold Cooplowski
Sep 11, 2013

Democratic Pirate posted:

Kai's going to see sword dude in the earth bender army, Opal believes him, they get captured, Bolin has to go hero again. It's cool

Pretty sure as soon as Kuvira does something bad to them/any Airbender/anyone who won't join up Bolin is going to realize what's going on and switch sides.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

No, you fools, when Kuvira will be ready to finish off Korra, Bolin's gonna lavabend the poo poo out of her and proclaim himself as this season's true bad guy. Just you wait.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

PiedPiper posted:

No, you fools, when Kuvira will be ready to finish off Korra, Bolin's gonna lavabend the poo poo out of her and proclaim himself as this season's true bad guy. Just you wait.

That's what happened to Pabu, roasted fire ferret...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Fire ferrets are immune to fire damage.

• Locked thread