Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

TheMcD posted:

(don't say you can plot-assassinate them, because you are a liar if you do so, that poo poo barely ever works with them)

95% of the assassination plots I start that even manage to get over 100% never fire inside two years anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Bort Bortles posted:

95% of the assassination plots I start that even manage to get over 100% never fire inside two years anyway.

Yeah, and that's if you can manage to get enough people to support your plot - enough people that need to hate some random gently caress that never has any powerful rivals or anything like that - in the first place.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

On the other hand, if everybody joins the guy'll be dead three different ways by Tuesday. I always enjoy it when that happens.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

TheMcD posted:

Yeah, the whole situation is not under a good star. We're already at the point where adventurers can just gently caress you over because they landed far off from your capital and can just assault the poo poo out of everything until they hit 100% warscore and you're just SOL, and where their numbers are basically just some random number that's either roughly equivalent to your levies or a good bit higher. And now that one of the best options against adventurers - assasination - is being taken away (don't say you can plot-assassinate them, because you are a liar if you do so, that poo poo barely ever works with them), I've been fearing the day the expansion hits ever since they said they'd remove the assassination diplomatic action.

Sounds about right to me. Hopefully they'll forget to also take away the console kill command.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

If I have a duke under me who gets warred by one of his earls can I support the duke beyond trying to assassinate the earl? This happened to me recently and the earl ended up getting imprisoned by the duke but only after I had been caught trying to kill him twice which led to a dishonorable hit with my vassals.

on the other hand, neither of them had an army that could actually siege the other so they were just sitting there impotently for years. should I have just ignored them completely?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Sounds about right to me. Hopefully they'll forget to also take away the console kill command.

There is no reason they would ever get rid of the console kill command.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Awesome! posted:

If I have a duke under me who gets warred by one of his earls can I support the duke beyond trying to assassinate the earl? This happened to me recently and the earl ended up getting imprisoned by the duke but only after I had been caught trying to kill him twice which led to a dishonorable hit with my vassals.

on the other hand, neither of them had an army that could actually siege the other so they were just sitting there impotently for years. should I have just ignored them completely?

If there's no actual war going on, just sit it out, it'll eventually end in favor of the defender. I don't think there's any way to support the duke in that scenario - I don't think you can offer to join his war. You could war the earl yourself if you have a CB and smash his poo poo up, then have the war end inconclusively when the duke wins, but that's a rare situation. You could give the duke money for mercenaries, but the dumb poo poo probably won't use it. Beyond that, no, I don't think you've got any real power to do something like that.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

they had their armies sieging each other but the armies were smaller than the defense so they were both just stalled for like 4 years or something. I was just worried when the war popped up because their armies were similar sizes and the earl was -100 to me so I really didn't want him to win.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Awesome! posted:

they had their armies sieging each other but the armies were smaller than the defense so they were both just stalled for like 4 years or something. I was just worried when the war popped up because their armies were similar sizes and the earl was -100 to me so I really didn't want him to win.

Yeah, you're safe in that case. A lot of vassal squabbles end up in this sort of stalemate, and it'll eventually gravitate back to the status quo unless you intervene in some way.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ok thanks. this is my first game and I just created the kingdom of ireland and started handing out duchies so vassal conflicts are still new to me.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I've had multiple adventurer threats simply not fire lately. And the one that did fire I crushed without any problem.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

A thought occurs to me... with the removal of the Assassinate button and all assassinations dependent on plots, as the game currently stands that means any ruler with Diplomacy in the high teens or above is invincible. There'll never be more than one or two people in his court who don't love him because he'll have a Personal Diplomacy +50 or more with everyone, and so no one will back a plot to kill him.

I'm curious as to if, or how, the allegedly reworked plot system will get around this.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm curious as to if, or how, the allegedly reworked plot system will get around this.

My guess is that it won't be solved upon release, and Paradox will tweak things at some later point with another patch or two.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Host invasions are dumb. I was just about ready to make a move to claim England with 15,000 men, and all of a sudden, this stack of 30k + shows up and takes it over. Now as King with Englands levy, he's pushing 40k. Fuckin lame. And the dude also had a claim on my kingdom, but luckily I was able to assassinate him before he could push it.

Also, does anyone know why CK2+ is making my game crash within 5 years of gametime? I can't advance long enough without the game crashing to possibly play a long term save with it, and now that I've gone back to vanilla, I miss all the convenient little add ons. Especially when I'm looking at options to press a claim, and I no longer have the "will/will not become your vassal" thing listed.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I don't think the will/won't become your vassal thing is THAT hard. The title has to be lower in rank than yours, and either the land you're claiming has to already be de jure yours or the claimant you're pushing has to already be your vassal.

The annoying mistake I repeatedly made was assuming because someone was of my dynasty or in my court, the land would become mine. Nope; if it's not already yours de jure, you have to land the claimant first.

I still really, really, really want a {will | won't | might if bribed} come to my court indicator. Sigh.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It is when you're just spamming marriages to duchys you want, so when you go to declare war, there's 15 options listed. It's easy to just go down the list and hover over each one in a row. It's a lot different when you're like wait a minute, who the hell is this person? You can do it without loving it up, but it's really inconvenient.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I dunno, with the different borders around the portraits it's not that hard if you slow down and look I don't think :shrug: It's either "no border, I have to land this guy or I won't get the land," "this guy's a duke so I'll get the land but I'll also create a superduke, don't want to do that" or "sweet, count/baron, PRESS CLAIM."

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

The annoying mistake I repeatedly made was assuming because someone was of my dynasty or in my court, the land would become mine. Nope; if it's not already yours de jure, you have to land the claimant first.

I still really, really, really want a {will | won't | might if bribed} come to my court indicator. Sigh.

Also a "yes this person will become your vassal and you will get a lot of land" indicator in the declare war screen. Seriously, the game knows, why not just tell us. There's always the slim possibility that their status will change in between the declaration of war and victory but that should be rare and the game can alert us or something. I just try to have a barony on hand (or one easily revokable) just to make sure.

KPC_Mammon posted:

I've noticed a lot of people disparaging "paint the map" style gameplay. I love this game, but unmodded there really doesn't seem like enough to do during peacetime. What should I be doing differently to fill in the 600 years of playtime?

Flavor (actual stuff with rivals, silly fun like the chariot race event chain for Byzantium, etc.) would be fine, and would give players something to do even if they were a vassal or a smaller king. But nope, gotta nerf retinues because someone on the Paradox forum complains that they can conquer the world in 50 years and we don't want people having fun do we.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

I would happily pay 20 bucks for a DLC that was nothing but a ton of new events.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
In After The End, I would be extremely disappointed if the cultural title for the King of Texarkana or Texas isn't Texarch. Or possibly even High Texarch :colbert:

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Has Paradox told us what we are going to do about our extra children when Charlemagne hits?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Is there some reason I shouldn't be able to call a Great Holy War vs. England or France? I'm Emperor of Scandinavia and Fylkirate, with 1000 piety to burn and 100 moral authority for the reformed Norse. I know that they're unlocked for me because I successfully took over Skotland with one of them, a few kings back.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Lareine posted:

Has Paradox told us what we are going to do about our extra children when Charlemagne hits?

I'm pretty sure that their internal attitude about this, as with adventurers, is "actually play with the game mechanics rather than stabbing it all away."

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Is there some reason I shouldn't be able to call a Great Holy War vs. England or France? I'm Emperor of Scandinavia and Fylkirate, with 1000 piety to burn and 100 moral authority for the reformed Norse. I know that they're unlocked for me because I successfully took over Skotland with one of them, a few kings back.

The cooldown on great holy wars is pretty long, which is why it's best saved for huge Kingdoms, like Greece, Italy or Andalusia.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Edison was a dick posted:

The cooldown on great holy wars is pretty long, which is why it's best saved for huge Kingdoms, like Greece, Italy or Andalusia.

Looks like a 30 year cooldown, yeah. Guess I'll just mercilessly raid till then.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

For some reason I'm having issues with direct downloads, is there any way anyone would be willing to put up a torrent of the latest After the End? I'd really, really appreciate it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Lareine posted:

You can always order 'em to take the vows. If you don't mind having useless couriers hanging around your court for the rest of their lives.

Alternative gamey solution: Always marry a foreigner, plot-stab your wife once you have your three sons then re-marry someone either celibate or old just for the stats.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

Corbeau posted:

I'm pretty sure that their internal attitude about this, as with adventurers, is "actually play with the game mechanics rather than stabbing it all away."

It literally says something along the lines of "stab this problem away before it's too late" in the pop up

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Corbeau posted:

I'm pretty sure the internal attitude is generally "gently caress you, you will fight massive, crippling invasions and/or civil wars constantly and you will LIKE it"

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Autonomous Monster posted:

On the other hand, if everybody joins the guy'll be dead three different ways by Tuesday. I always enjoy it when that happens.

I still have to wait ~5 years for assassination events to fire. I can start a plot to kill the imprisoned peasant leader of a revolt I just crushed, have my whole court join the plot, and sit there for 4 years before I get a popup that "someone has a daring plan!".

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Bort Bortles posted:

I still have to wait ~5 years for assassination events to fire. I can start a plot to kill the imprisoned peasant leader of a revolt I just crushed, have my whole court join the plot, and sit there for 4 years before I get a popup that "someone has a daring plan!".

That's just your luck I've had attempt event fire before all the auto invited plotters have officially joined.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rumda posted:

That's just your luck I've had attempt event fire before all the auto invited plotters have officially joined.

Same. Once you crack 400%, it's basically going to be the next pop up.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Rumda posted:

Volkerball posted:

Same. Once you crack 400%, it's basically going to be the next pop up.

My notoriously lovely luck must be rearing its ugly head again. I have never had a plot-assassinate event fire within the first year of initiating the plot. And I've had some plots get up in the 1000%s and take 2+ years to fire.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I'm sure this has been covered enough times, but are there any feasible ways to survive as, say, Strathclyde in the Old Gods start date? They're a really cool kingdom but the vikings will just destroy me whenever they feel like it. Conquering some Irish provinces is an idea, but there's not really enough time to fabricate claims. And Scotland is a pretty useless ally against all of Scandinavia.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
How big is the fertility penalty to courtiers once your court gets past a certain size? Also, does it kick in immediately (even for childless courtiers), or only after their second kid?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Ras Het posted:

I'm sure this has been covered enough times, but are there any feasible ways to survive as, say, Strathclyde in the Old Gods start date? They're a really cool kingdom but the vikings will just destroy me whenever they feel like it. Conquering some Irish provinces is an idea, but there's not really enough time to fabricate claims. And Scotland is a pretty useless ally against all of Scandinavia.

Short of cheating up some cash and buying up a bunch of mercs? I doubt it.

I think in the Charlemagne start they're getting hosed by Northumbria, so I can't even say "try it in the eighth century instead".

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Autonomous Monster posted:

Short of cheating up some cash and buying up a bunch of mercs? I doubt it.

I think in the Charlemagne start they're getting hosed by Northumbria, so I can't even say "try it in the eighth century instead".

Bollocks. Maybe I'll pull the imprison cheat against Ivar and whitepeace until I've a realistic gameplan.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Ras Het posted:

Bollocks. Maybe I'll pull the imprison cheat against Ivar and whitepeace until I've a realistic gameplan.

Swear fealty to West Francia, and then play as a vassal until you're strong enough to Holy War the Norse (you'll probably have to wait a generation).

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Bort Bortles posted:

My notoriously lovely luck must be rearing its ugly head again. I have never had a plot-assassinate event fire within the first year of initiating the plot. And I've had some plots get up in the 1000%s and take 2+ years to fire.

Same here. :smith::respek::smith: I'm probably just going to give up on ever playing this game legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

TheMcD posted:

Yeah, the whole situation is not under a good star. We're already at the point where adventurers can just gently caress you over because they landed far off from your capital and can just assault the poo poo out of everything until they hit 100% warscore and you're just SOL, and where their numbers are basically just some random number that's either roughly equivalent to your levies or a good bit higher. And now that one of the best options against adventurers - assasination - is being taken away (don't say you can plot-assassinate them, because you are a liar if you do so, that poo poo barely ever works with them), I've been fearing the day the expansion hits ever since they said they'd remove the assassination diplomatic action.

In my most recent game I've been able to invite adventurers to my court. They've said yes, every time. Makes plot-assassinations much easier.

e: and if the event refuses to fire, there's always imprisonment.

• Locked thread