Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

No there's an FX one now too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

nielsm posted:

Keep in mind the Nikkor AF-S 35mm f/1.8 G is a DX format lens, i.e. intended for crop format cameras. If you use it on full frame you'll get some amount of vignetting at almost any focus distance/aperture combination. It's not that bad, but it is there.

evil_bunnY posted:

No there's an FX one now too

Yeah, this one; http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HQ4W4XO/ref=ox_ya_os_product_refresh_T1

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Huh, never noticed that. Maybe they saw the Sigma and figured they couldn't just sit on their hands. (I'd probably just buy the Sigma anyway, if I was looking for a modern 35mm.)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah. The only downside of the sigma is the physical package.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

Fraction posted:

Macro thread recommended 50mm and a reversing ring? :shobon:

100mm prime would be super expensive though, wouldn't it? My budgets pretty small.

It's a fun gimmick, but if you're wanting to shoot flappy and crawly things on a reversed lens, this is going to be a giant pain due to your new focal plane constraints. I haven't played with any macro/micro/bellows/trick setups in over half a decade, so I don't know what's hot these days, but it sounds like you'd be happier with a proper macro/micro lens.

Does anyone have any major complaints about nikon's DC lenses? I'm mulling over adding the 105mm DC to my collection, and it looks like a wonderfully sharp, fast, and contrasty prime for portraits.

McSpatula fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 3, 2014

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

evil_bunnY posted:

Oh like that. Well. Try it first is all I'll say. And as pointed out earlier, tons of companies have made 90/100/105 macro primes over the years, and very few of them suck.

Sorry for all the questions! I'm looking into other primes now, like the sigma 105mm f/2.8 ex dg os hsm macro (those letters mean nothing to me). Is there any easy way of knowing if a sigma (or other non Nikon) lens will have an autofocus motor so that I have AF with my d3100?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Fraction posted:

Sorry for all the questions! I'm looking into other primes now, like the sigma 105mm f/2.8 ex dg os hsm macro (those letters mean nothing to me). Is there any easy way of knowing if a sigma (or other non Nikon) lens will have an autofocus motor so that I have AF with my d3100?

sigma 105mm f/2.8 ex(who cares) dg(full frame) os(stabilized) hsm(decent focus motor)

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

Fraction posted:

Here's a giant list of just about every major brand f-mount lens with an internal autofocus motor.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This probably makes me a crazy person, but I'm thinking about selling my Sony A7s for a D750. Getting nice colors out of the Sony has been a bit of a pain compared to my D800 and the D750 is looking like a much better camera for video that I would have expected.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
What is it about the colors on the A7s do you not like? Do you shoot in slog or just one of the normal profiles? I have the same experience with my Blackmagic cameras, but working in raw and grading in Resolve allows me to get great color.

I'm thinking of adding an A7s to my video kit since it's got mad DR and I can use it as a backup photo body.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Shooting in S-Log, though I have tried the normal profiles. In the end it's a probably a workflow issue more than anything. On most of our projects we don't have time or budget for a real colorist and it seems like the A7s needs perhaps a bit more of a professional's touch to shine. I can work my way around in Resolve OK, but I'm by no means an expert and getting something closer to a final grade out of camera is (to me) much easier with the D800 and other Nikon cameras I've used. I can get to something I like with the A7s, it just takes a good bit more effort.

Truthfully, it's not just that and is something of a usability thing for my overall situation. The A7s is a spectacular camera and I wouldn't dissuade anyone from picking one up. I've been really impressed with it. I don't like it as much as the D800 though, even if it is an objectively better camera for video. Originally I'd considered going completely to mirrorless and also replacing my D800 with an A7R. After using the A7s for a bit I realized that I waaaay prefer the shape and handling of a normal, full sized SLR.

Edit: I suppose I should mention that I've gone from thinking about it to making it a reality in the space of about 6 hours thanks to a wtb ad on Fred Miranda.

powderific fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 4, 2014

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Man, Keh's rating system is brutal.

That bargain Tamron 90mm macro has literally one scratch on it, and a little bit of wear on the caps. That's it-it's perfect otherwise.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

McSpatula posted:

Here's a giant list of just about every major brand f-mount lens with an internal autofocus motor.

This is awesome, thanks!

Now to hunt down a 105mm lens :toot:

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Fraction posted:

This is awesome, thanks!

Now to hunt down a 105mm lens :toot:

The Sigma you were talking about earlier is just about the best macro you can get at that focal length. There are some pretty solid macros for less than that, but they're either manual focus or need a body that can deal with focus screws.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
Can anyone recommend a hasselblad v mount to f-mount adapter? It looks like there's the fotodix one and a bunch of no name brass adapters on ebay, are they more or less the same brass adapter?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

McSpatula posted:

Can anyone recommend a hasselblad v mount to f-mount adapter? It looks like there's the fotodix one and a bunch of no name brass adapters on ebay, are they more or less the same brass adapter?

I think the Fotodiox ones are all aluminum. I have one with a tripod foot that's probably a Fotodiox or Rainbow Imaging one and it works fine. You wouldn't happen to be the dude that just emailed me about my CL ad selling one are you?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Bottom Liner posted:

All primes, and preferably in the following focal lengths; 24/35/50/85.

What is people's obsession with primes? I can understand back in the '70s when zooms were kinda crap and slow, but now you can get a Sigma/Tamron 24-70 and 70-200, both f/2.8 or better, for under $1600 total. You're only printing 8x10s, the tiny bit of extra image quality from primes doesn't really matter, does it?

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

8th-snype posted:

I think the Fotodiox ones are all aluminum. I have one with a tripod foot that's probably a Fotodiox or Rainbow Imaging one and it works fine. You wouldn't happen to be the dude that just emailed me about my CL ad selling one are you?

Nope, that wasn't me, but if you have one for sale, I'm all ears.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Delivery McGee posted:

What is people's obsession with primes? I can understand back in the '70s when zooms were kinda crap and slow, but now you can get a Sigma/Tamron 24-70 and 70-200, both f/2.8 or better, for under $1600 total. You're only printing 8x10s, the tiny bit of extra image quality from primes doesn't really matter, does it?
In my case it's just a weight issue.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
Also that extra stop.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Miko posted:

Also that extra stop.

Or two :getin:

Also having limited options means being forced to be creative with composition.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

McSpatula posted:

Nope, that wasn't me, but if you have one for sale, I'm all ears.

I was gonna sell it locally in Seattle because I hate shipping stuff but PM me and we can work something out.

Delivery McGee posted:

I just hate zoom lenses. I don't care how good they are, I have always used primes and always will.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Zooms make you lazy

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Being lazy makes you lazy.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
My experience is that you tend to usually end up at the extremities of a zoom, which are usually where the optics are worst. So you'd generally be better off with primes at those focal lengths.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Here's my review of the d750:

It loving owns.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Delivery McGee posted:

No reason, really.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I stick with primes because I do a lot of low light shooting and hate using flash. Speed is king for my style.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

SoundMonkey posted:

No reason, really.

The 180 ED loving owns.

P9160362.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P9160310.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P9160161.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Anyone have a D600 with the shutter issue? How long did it take to get the camera back?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

?? I did a cleaning and it was fine afterwards.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

There's a recall to replace the shutter to stop the problem from happening again.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

8th-snype posted:

I just hate zoom lenses. I don't care how good they are, I have always used primes and always will.

Having discrete focal lengths forces you to utilize perspective as a composition thing. And in a technical sense, you really don't NEED every single mm of FL covered, and primes are faster and cheaper per dollar of camera equipment.

Sure, a Nikkor 70-200 2.8 is almost as sharp as a 180/2.8 - but it costs like 3-4x as much for the equivalent functionality. And some fast primes, like a 35/1.4, just can't be replaced by zooms. It's really only recently that modern zooms have even remotely begun to compete with good primes.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Paul MaudDib posted:

Having discrete focal lengths forces you to utilize perspective as a composition thing. And in a technical sense, you really don't NEED every single mm of FL covered, and primes are faster and cheaper per dollar of camera equipment.

Fair enough, I understand now. I'm a photojournalist by trade, so I prefer zooms (preferably fast and corporate-owned) for obvious reasons, but you artists have time to set up the perfect framing and pick the exact focal length you want. That must be nice. :v:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Delivery McGee posted:

Fair enough, I understand now. I'm a photojournalist by trade, so I prefer zooms (preferably fast and corporate-owned) for obvious reasons, but you artists have time to set up the perfect framing and pick the exact focal length you want. That must be nice. :v:

Sorry you feel the need to blame your shortcomings on your job. Don't worry with the state of photojournalism as a career field you should be able to get in plenty of time practicing composition between cars at the drive through. :v:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I thought news departments were firing their photographers and handing out high MP cell phone cameras to reporters anyways :v:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

8th-snype posted:

Sorry you feel the need to blame your shortcomings on your job. Don't worry with the state of photojournalism as a career field you should be able to get in plenty of time practicing composition between cars at the drive through. :v:

you seem kinda mad that someone has a different job than you

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

SoundMonkey posted:

you seem kinda mad that someone has a different job than you

Nope, just that every post contains a reference to it like it's some sort of magic bullet explaining away whatever we are talking about. I should start doing that. Imagine the fun we can have comparing stuff In PAD to things I have seen inserted into or removed from the human body violently! (I'm not gonna do that)

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

1st AD posted:

I thought news departments were firing their photographers and handing out high MP cell phone cameras to reporters anyways :v:

High MP? They dont' need no stinking megapixels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Delivery McGee posted:

About half of my work is weddings, so a fast moving intense environment from 6-15 hours of journalistic shooting and I do just fine with primes. Give them a try, they don't limit you like you think.