Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Jesus Christ, this is clunky as gently caress. No auto switch on pickup, nor running out of ammo, nor gaining ammo... and running into walls loving hurts you. What is this, Berzerk?

Wait till you get into insane switch puzzles, of which you have no indication what opens or where. Or later levels with rooms completely filled with enemies.

If anyone wants to check other amiga 3D shooters, I've compiled the releases with bundled in emulator and preconfigured for easy setup. The archive contains Testament 1 & 2, Gloom series, Alien Breed 3D 1 & 2 and Breathless: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9h7r105f93t5n57/amiga_fps.zip?dl=0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I'd tweak that if I were you, the Amiga bios and OS/workbench are still copyright and sold in a commercial product, though the games are probably ok.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

As far as I know, the Kickstart ROM used is the replacement one, made by AROS devs.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The_Franz posted:

Back then most monitors were only 14 or 15 inches (with only 13 or 14 inches viewable, remember that?) so the low resolution wasn't that intolerable.

It kind of was, really. Even on a smaller monitor, going from 320x200 halfscreen to 640x480 fullscreen makes things look a lot sharper, hugely increases your viewing area and makes the font not look like rear end.

I mean, ok, it wasn't "intolerable" because in those days 320x200 or 320x240 were pretty normal default resolutions for games, and some games of that era I remember very fondly (Wing Commander) didn't even support resolutions above that. But regardless of screen size, doubling the resolution is a pretty dramatic improvement.

quote:

I would love to see a System Shock 1 "source-port" that left the game alone but modernized the controls and interface. It's really hard to get into the game when the interface is so clunky. Even back when it came out I found the controls to be annoying, especially in cyberspace.

The current version of System Shock Portable includes patches for high resolution (800x600 and, if dosbox can handle it, 1024x768) modes, mouselook, and key rebinding, so you might want to check that out.

As for source ports, there have been many, many, many attempts to either write a new engine for Shock from scratch, or port it to an existing engine. All of those attempts are dead; either they ate a cease-and-desist (from EA, or from the developer of the engine they were using) or they finished all the easy parts and then got bored.

The latest attempt is named Citadel and is using the Darkplaces engine. It'll be pretty kickass if, by some complete miracle, it ever reaches a playable state.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 4, 2014

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Elliotw2 posted:

They're empty bullet/shell casings. One of the shotguns's alternate fires charges empty shells to spray them (and kill lesser computers). One of the machine guns will eat empty bullets to heal you.

Thanks, I thought I might be missing out on something. I love Russian Overkill but drat if isn't very well documented.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

The current version of System Shock Portable includes patches for high resolution (800x600 and, if dosbox can handle it, 1024x768) modes, mouselook, and key rebinding, so you might want to check that out.

I played it for the first time recently using this patch and it was a great experience. It's worth checking out if you liked SS2 and don't mind old graphics.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Pretty cool video about amiga FPS games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv6aJRGpz_A

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Amethyst posted:

Pretty cool video about amiga FPS games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv6aJRGpz_A
This rules, best thing I've seen all week.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

It's so nice it was literally posted a page ago.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It's so nice it was literally posted a page ago.

That guy needs to learn how to embed videos if he expects anyone to click his links.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Amethyst posted:

That guy needs to learn how to embed videos if he expects anyone to click his links.

Fair enough, but it did spawn a bunch of discussion and quotes.

Anyway, was anyone else's favourite part of Catacomb: Abyss the fact that you had unlimited fireballs? I always felt like I was cheating. That, and the time-stop powerup let me wreck some serious poo poo. drat, I'd love a remake.

lurker1981
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
^^^^^ - What you are talking about seriously needs a link, because I have no idea what you are talking about. I'm a bit of a Doom fanboy, and if it doesn't involve that, and it hasn't been discussed on the zdoom or doomworld forums recently...

Amethyst posted:

I don't click on anything unless it has boobies or creampies.

Or goon chat, I suppose, as evidenced by my literal existence as a member of the forums.

lurker1981 fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Oct 5, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

lurker1981 posted:

^^^^^ - What you are talking about seriously needs a link, because I have no idea what you are talking about. I'm a bit of a Doom fanboy, and if it doesn't involve that, and it hasn't been discussed on the zdoom or doomworld forums recently...

Do you mean a link to the game, or a video of the time-stop powerup? I don't have a specific video link for the powerup, but if you need to know what Catacomb Abyss (and Apocalypse and Armageddon) is, uhh... Well, I feel sorry for you, friend!

http://youtu.be/xJbA1Prf6RE

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

I'm having a blast with DoomRL Arsenal, I'm a sucker for loot and weapon/armor variations. Are there any compatible mods that add enemy variations?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Have you considered the monster pack that is made by the same people?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

I've tried that but all I've really noticed is the occasional female soldier. Other than that I haven't seen a single new monster.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

nexus6 posted:

I've tried that but all I've really noticed is the occasional female soldier. Other than that I haven't seen a single new monster.

They're mostly just tougher/different versions of the existing monsters, they only start popping up on higher levels pretty much. Once you hit, say, level 10, you should have a nice variety.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
SpeedRunsLive are doing a race through Doom 2 on Ultra Violence to celebrate the game's recent 20th birthday. It kicks off in around an hour. Feel free to watch or join in!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Elman posted:

Do people still play Quake 3 Arena? I downloaded Quake Live after it came out on Steam only to find out they added weapon loadouts that kind of ruin the game for me (you can just spawn with a rocket launcher and never run out of ammo).

...Wait, what? When you spawn with a rocket launcher in your loadout you only have five rockets, what mode offers infinite ammo? :psyduck: You can also pick up any other weapon you want, you're not limited by the loadouts.

Aside from the lightning gun bullshit, the new changes really aren't as bad as I thought they would be. Yeah, it's still stupid they have the classic mode cordoned off in a way, but letting people start with a rocket launcher/shotgun on respawn in FFA hasn't had too much of an impact on my ability to stomp pubbies as I have a pretty healthy win rate and KDR at the moment.

I kind of like spawning with at least something to defend myself with as opposed to getting immediately poo poo on with a machine gun pea shooter but I was never a pro Quake player so YMMV I guess. :shrug: The auto bunny hopping is really funny as people still can't figure out how to do it, even when all they have to do is hold down jump now. If anything its made a lot of players worse because they end up jumping into walls constantly.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I don't mind the changes so much either, though I think the better thing to have done would to just replace the MG with the HMG so that you can defend yourself between spawn and new gun. You do have unlimited ammo in the new team modes however, along with constantly regenerating health.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Awesome Welles posted:

...Wait, what? When you spawn with a rocket launcher in your loadout you only have five rockets, what mode offers infinite ammo? :psyduck: You can also pick up any other weapon you want, you're not limited by the loadouts.

Ammo packs that give you every type of ammo with 5 (or was it 10?) second respawns basically equal infinite ammo.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I'm sure it's not so bad since everyone is on equal ground, I never really played old Quake much anyway. It just doesn't feel the same without walking around looking for weapons and being forced to use different ones cause ammo is limited.

Like, the Railgun goes from "I just got one, let's see what I can do with it!" to "I'm terrible with that gun, if I picked it I'd just be gimping myself". Yeah I can force myself to switch weapons from time to time and keep it interesting, but I can't expect everyone else to do the same.

Elman fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 5, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

My biggest complaint is that you can spawn with a railgun, so all the people good with it can always have the ability to get that two shot kill.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Wrath of Cronos + Hexercise makes you crazy powerful at higher levels, especially in Heretic and Doom.

I was able to take the cyberdemons at the end of Epic out in around 10 seconds, doing about 1000 damage from each strike of the Quietus. This on top of having 300 max health, 350 max armor, and moving faster than Doomguy. Brings new meaning to that ROTT difficulty level "I am a freight train of death". :getin:

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

I can't watch the video right now, but I'm referring to the idle imp sound effect. I'm a sound designer and literally have no words to describe it.
My dad and I always called them Oinkers, because that's what it sounded like.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Elliotw2 posted:

My biggest complaint is that you can spawn with a railgun, so all the people good with it can always have the ability to get that two shot kill.

I just had a flashback to Q3DM17. Instagib. 1v1.

I played that poo poo to death.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I remembered I owned Doom 3 BFG the other day, and decided to try the Doom 2 wad that came with it. It turns out that Nerve software is pretty good at making Doom 2 maps, they're a good challenge and nicely set up. The Doom port in BFG isn't very good, but nerve.wad runs fine in Zdoom and Strawberry Doom (the maps are too big to load in Chocolate Doom.)

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Zandronum recently had a big update to 1.3:

http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=5318

Along a host of other fixes and improvements, one of the most interesting features is an (OPTIONAL) account system and database for storing persistent information. This'll be a gigantic boon to the competitive scene by giving them persistent stats, of course, but one of the things that come to mind for mods and modders is the ability to store a player's equipment and/or inventory when they log off and return it to them when they log back on.
The amount of potential for this is staggering.

edit: Oh yeah and Samsara's shared keys system got implemented. I'm helping!

edit 2: (well actually it's not really my system)

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 6, 2014

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
Doing a replay of Blood and as I'm playing through it there really is this sense of interactivity that I haven't even noticed before until studying it. The small things like being able to blow up holes in walls are really cool when you're able to open up a secret entrance through strategic dynamite chucking around corners. Cool moments among those include cultists shooting through windows, launching zombies into the stratosphere with the shotgun, and my favorite was when one cultist among a group chucked dynamite and hit another, and the explosion had so much force that one cultist literally flew out of and shattered the glass window next to me and gibbed against a wall. The physics in this game are phenomenal even to this day.

Needless to say, the level designs themselves are outstanding. Gotta say I'm more of a fan of the rural/country/voodoo sort of vibe Blood has over Duke's urban scifi theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3Y13KaoqCk

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Anyway, was anyone else's favourite part of Catacomb: Abyss the fact that you had unlimited fireballs? I always felt like I was cheating. That, and the time-stop powerup let me wreck some serious poo poo. drat, I'd love a remake.
I wouldn't mind one either; Catacomb: Abyss is something of a guilty pleasure of mine.

Albeit, it's a guilty pleasure I've been hesitant to replay lately, not because it's almost insultingly basic in design, but because the wall textures started actively corrupting during my most recent playthrough, shortly followed by the game just straight-up quitting when I opened up a scroll in the same stage. No idea what I did to cause that, not eager to see if it's reproducible.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Been a while since I've dusted off Zandronum properly. Have there been any really good Invasion level sets released in the past year or so? That was always my favourite kind of co-op. Big, dumb, loud and great with friends.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Been playing through Blood again to get my Halloween on (plus I wanted to start over so I could finish Episode 4 and 5 plus Cryptic Passage). I don't have any issues with the mouse movement, even without bmouse, but one bug that really frustrates me is how the game doesn't loop music tracks. There aren't enough ambient sounds in Blood so levels just feel empty without the music. Fortunately quicksaving then immediately quickloading fixes it but it's still annoying. I wonder if this is a problem with DOSBox I can fix.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MONKET posted:

Doing a replay of Blood and as I'm playing through it there really is this sense of interactivity that I haven't even noticed before until studying it. The small things like being able to blow up holes in walls are really cool when you're able to open up a secret entrance through strategic dynamite chucking around corners. Cool moments among those include cultists shooting through windows, launching zombies into the stratosphere with the shotgun, and my favorite was when one cultist among a group chucked dynamite and hit another, and the explosion had so much force that one cultist literally flew out of and shattered the glass window next to me and gibbed against a wall. The physics in this game are phenomenal even to this day.

Needless to say, the level designs themselves are outstanding. Gotta say I'm more of a fan of the rural/country/voodoo sort of vibe Blood has over Duke's urban scifi theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3Y13KaoqCk

Blood did a lot of things really well. The horror aesthetic is solid in that slightly cartoony B-movie sort of way. It's creepy in a darkly amusing way.

Of course, it helps a lot that the weapons are hugely satisfying to use (especially the flare gun and the dynamite) and that the soundwork is absolutely spot on. It's right up there with Quake and Diablo for some of the best sound design ever.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Oct 6, 2014

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

KozmoNaut posted:

Blood did a lot of things really well. The horror aesthetic is solid in that slightly cartoony B-movie sort of way. It's creepy in a darkly amusing way.

Of course, it helps a lot that the weapons are hugely satisfying to use (especially the flare gun and the dynamite) and that the soundwork is absolutely spot on. It's right up there with Quake and Diablo for some of the best sound design ever.

They really did nail everything perfectly in the sound department. From spine-tingling squeaky spiders to the DAAAAUUURRRH death cry of the zombies. The dynamite is so goddamn satisfying to use not just because of that hearty earth-shaking explosion, but also the actual damage it does is staggering. It really feels like you're lobbing heavy-rear end chunks of explosives around instead of tennis balls that queef into shrapnel like so many other games.

I pray that they scrounge up the source code to Blood in my lifetime so I can at least experience proper mouselook in the game without getting vertigo. The autoaim can really suck.

Segmentation Fault posted:

Been playing through Blood again to get my Halloween on (plus I wanted to start over so I could finish Episode 4 and 5 plus Cryptic Passage). I don't have any issues with the mouse movement, even without bmouse, but one bug that really frustrates me is how the game doesn't loop music tracks. There aren't enough ambient sounds in Blood so levels just feel empty without the music. Fortunately quicksaving then immediately quickloading fixes it but it's still annoying. I wonder if this is a problem with DOSBox I can fix.

They released a custom DOSBox patch for just this issue.

Douk Douk fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 6, 2014

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Ayy lmao! Thanks!

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Speaking of Blood, about a year or two ago there was a big community released map pack/campaign that was pretty well made. Does anyone remember what it was called?

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Deathwish?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Prenton posted:

Deathwish?

That looks to be the one. Thanks.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Remember when they first announced the loadout patch and it was deemed so ludicrously insane that it was immediately dismissed as a bad joke? I miss those days.

I want to know more about this :allears: Never got into Loadout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Zaphod42 posted:

I want to know more about this :allears: Never got into Loadout.

I was talking about the new changes to Quake Live.